Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crapness of your Hometown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think Waterford is 100 times nicer than most other cities/large towns in this country. Sure we have a high unemployment rate at the moment but the city centre itself is nice and has a great buzz around times like christmass. Looks a lot nicer than other places in this country and it seems like we have a much lower crime rate. I think it must be the abandoned docks that gives everyone a bad impression of them place, because everyone seems to despise the place for some reason. Yet when I visit Dublin/Limerick/Cork/Tipperary/other counties they come across as worse. Maybe a lot of people view their home town like I do, but I for one am very critical of bad things in this country and for me to say good about somewhere is odd.

I'm from Tipperary and was a student in the good old Waterford RTC ( now I'm feeling old etc ). Spent my first year in digs in Ballybeg with a lovely family. ( Graduated in 1991 ). have great memories of TH Doolans, The Auld Stand and The Bridge/Breens. used to have the odd pint in the bikers pub opposite Geoffs and had great craic there. One of the most underrated places in Ireland if you ask me. have always told English people who were thinking of moving to Ireland to consider it because they would always think of Dublin first and then Cork or Galway. Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Tallaght.

A bomb would cause millions of euro worth of improvements.

kissthesky wrote: »
    I'm from Tipperary

Tipperary town was one of the most surreal places I have ever been.

Does anyone actually work there(except for the barstaff)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

IrishAm wrote: »
    Tipperary town was one of the most surreal places I have ever been.

Does anyone actually work there(except for the barstaff)?

Anyone who has a job or career there tends to live in the surrounding rural areas.

Can't understand how anyone who lives there pays their road tax...

Tipp town - insular,inward looking,parochial,suspicous,passive aggressive,gossipy,materialistic,greedy,grubby,inverted snobbery,violent,oppressive
    I cant help these adjectives comin to mind when I think of the town

• Advertisement

Tipp town - insular,inward looking,parochial,suspicous,passive aggressive,gossipy,materialistic,greedy,grubby,inverted snobbery,violent,oppressive

I wholeheartily agree, Throw Clonmel in too though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Monaghan.. The mentality is awful, there's nothing there, begrudging, backward, gossiping bible-bashers with a 3 screen cinema, and very little prospects of getting out unless youre Lucky enough to have a job .
    If I never had to visit that place again it would b too soon, but family occasions always beckon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I hate to put places down but let's be honest here. Tipperary town makes the hillbilly cast of the film Deliverance look like chic and intelligent sophisticates.:cool:

It's not just the run down look of the town - quite a few Irish towns are shabby and insular. There's something else about it that is sinister and menacing. A place best driven through with the car buttons down and as quickly as possible. I'm amazed that it hasn't been bypassed yet by a road because it seems like it's been bypassed by the last 30 years of this country's history.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I hate to put places down but let's be honest here. Tipperary town makes the hillbilly cast of the film Deliverance look like chic and intelligent sophisticates.:cool:

It's not just the run down look of the town - quite a few Irish towns are shabby. There's something else about it that is sinister and menacing. A place best driven through with the car buttons down and as quickly as possible. I'm amazed that it hasn't been bypassed yet by a road because it seems like it's been bypassed by the last 30 years of this country's history.

The sexual habits of the natives are something else too.
    Back in the mid 90's I was amazed to find out that were several AID's sufferers there and lots of incest stories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Spent my very early childhood in beautiful Westport Co Mayo and then moved to Headford, Co Galway...Have barely been there since I got out of there when I turned 18. I lived 25 minutes away from there for 6 years and only went back twice a year...really hate the place

• Advertisement

have never lived/worked in Clonmel. Did the odd bit of shopping there and passed thru. seems a nice enough place on the surface but i have heard my younger sister ( 22yrs ) saying that its far from pleasant in the night time. very easy to get dragged into 'ur not from around here ' type rows. Thank God I'm past all that now!

Good post, succinctly put.

I was there for 48 hours, at a family friends funeral. I was challenged to a scrap on the first night. The local hardman decided upon himself he needed to prove his toughness by starting a fight with a Dublin lad who was consoling his mother. :rolleyes:

On the day of the funeral I was getting the drinks in for me and me family. Every time I went to the bar the locals exchanged a few words. It went from brief pleasantries, to what am I doing in the town, to Dublin Gaa and how bad we are and how the fans are all scum, to asking me if I had any coke.:confused: It got weirder and weirder everytime I went to the bar.

Drunkenly brought a girl back to my bed and breakfast a couple of miles away and after we done the bold thing, she told me was waiting on the results of a HIV test. :eek: The next morning her ex/current boyfriend was calling and texting her non stop and making threats against me.

Weird, weird fucking place.

JupiterKid wrote: »

It's not just the run down look of the town - quite a few Irish towns are shabby and insular. There's something else about it that is sinister and menacing. A place best driven through with the car buttons down and as quickly as possible. I'm amazed that it hasn't been bypassed yet by a road because it seems like it's been bypassed by the last 30 years of this country's history.

Have to agree with you there. I drove thru the main street today on my way to Dunnes. All I could think of was the background music to The Hills Have Eyes. What makes it even worse is that opposite Dunnes is an area known locally as, u guessed it The Tipperary Hills. DAH DA DAH DAH DA

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Spent my very early childhood in beautiful Westport Co Mayo and then moved to Headford, Co Galway

Thats a form a child abuse! :D

Taking a young child from picturesque Westport and uprooting him to the land that time forgot!

The town was to have been bypassed about 10 years ago connecting the Limerick Rd to the Waterford Rd but it never happened and now probably never will. Apparently the reason the bypass was rejected at a time when it could have been built was that the local councillors etc maintained that the centre of the town, stop laughing now, would be diminished. In the meantime Dunnes, Tesco and Lidl have all been built on the outskirts of the town keeping the vested property owners happy that their (empty shops ) were at the heart of a thriving community located at the gateway to the South. I'd laugh if it wasnt so sad.

Have to agree with you there. I drove thru the main street today on my way to Dunnes. All I could think of was the background music to The Hills Have Eyes. What makes it even worse is that opposite Dunnes is an area known locally as, u guessed it The Tipperary Hills. DAH DA DAH DAH DA

I had many a great time up there, drinking, smoking and riding, The Hills are the only decent thing there..I brought my son up there back in 2005 and the Travellers had set up shop, It was hilarious, Like a Travellers holiday camp and a bloody Samantha Mumba cd on repeat all day.

Clondalkin is another mad kip. I once seen a lad in a Cork jersey fast asleep by the side of the StatOil petrol station beside Bewleys hotel. This was about 4am. Some scumbags had pissed all over him. He was drenched in it. He was staying next door and was only about 19. Poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Not from there but Castletownbare....

Don't mean to offend locals, but this is an awful place.

Ever been to Castletownbare Island? I think it has an Island not to far from the coast. Truly shocking. It had a massive rusty oul' boat there and a load of burned out cars and tractors. It had 1 pub on it, that truly felt like stepping into the 60's.

Bizarre place.

charlemont wrote: »
    I had many a great time up there, drinking, smoking and riding, The Hills are the only decent thing there..I brought my son up there back in 2005 and the Travellers had set up shop, It was hilarious, Like a Travellers holiday camp and a bloody Samantha Mumba cd on repeat all day.

The elderly people I met down there were absolute gems.

It was only the relatively younger generation that were acting the bollix.

The welfare generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I don't live in a town, just the middle of nowhere.....

• Advertisement

The welfare generation.

That's very true, Some nice people there, My son's grandparents are lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was in secondary school for 2 years in Navan and confirm that it is a grim hole.
    It does have a shopping centre thought but it's **** since they got rid of the maze.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Eight pages and not a mention of Boyle, Co. Roscommon!

It's like walking through the 80s! And they have virgin Mary statues galore, and one of them has a neon halo!

Luckily, I'm not from there, but have too luck at it on the bus.

Clondalkin is another mad kip. I once seen a lad in a Cork jersey fast asleep by the side of the StatOil petrol station beside Bewleys hotel. This was about 4am. Some scumbags had pissed all over him. He was drenched in it. He was staying next door and was only about 19. Poor bastard.

My only memories of it were when my sister was nearby at Peamount back in the late 80's doing nursing, I can just about remember the Quinnworth and being on the bus. At least in these areas you can get around, Rural towns are too isolated so your stuck there all day.

have to admit I lost my virginity in The Hills :D but the soundtrack of the summer was The Joshua Tree. Never forget cycling home as happy as larry and then trying to explain the lovebite on my neck to my mother when I got home. Told her I got hit by a branch on the way home and then asked since when did trees have teeth. :P

The welfare generation.

Half of them think they are the shít but their really only boggers that wouldn't last a day in Dublin. Fair amount of Limerick heads around there too, The locals show off in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

charlemont wrote: »
    Half of them think they are the shít but their really only boggers that wouldn't last a day in Dublin. Fair amount of Limerick heads around there too, The locals show off in front of them.

Wouldn't last a day in Dublin? As in Dublin is some sort of tough area to live? Imagine Ireland didn't have unemployment and single mothers allowance etc. Claiming Dublin is some way tough is laughable. Just because there's a lot of c*nts there, it doesn't make it tough. That kind of label makes people think they can act like thugs and be some how justified because their from the tough city pfffftttt

I was in secondary school for 2 years in Navan and confirm that it is a grim hole.
    It does have a shopping centre thought but it's **** since they got rid of the maze.

You didnt pick up the accent, did you?

Please tell me you didnt pick up the accent.

99% of accents dont bother nor excite me. But the Navan accent is like someone running their fingernails down the blackboard.

have to admit I lost my virginity in The Hills :D but the soundtrack of the summer was The Joshua Tree. Never forget cycling home as happy as larry and then trying to explain the lovebite on my neck to my mother when I got home. Told her I got hit by a branch on the way home and then asked since when did trees have teeth. :P

Do you ever remember all those guys with shaved heads back in the middle/late 90's ? Some pack of scumbags, They were always around the Main Street on the evenings, I was in a few fights with some of them, Jealous because I was with an ex of one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember when the Navan Shopping Centre was being built back in the early 1980s. Its design at the time - like the glass space frame roof - was groundbreaking for the Ireland of 1981. My dad was involved in the financing of the centre and I saw the blueprints for the place as well as the maze. When the centre opened I was about 6 going on 7 and the maze was fantastic!:D:o:)

Sad to hear the maze is gone but they've extended the shopping centre hugely since it was first built as Navan has quadrupled in size since 1981. It is also very well located - right beside trhe heart of the town instead of at its edge.

Advertisement