Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,511 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Biggins wrote: »
    Gimme a while, I'm eating my dinner - then will have to wade thru all the stuff I've posted so far, to find the previous relevant post! :)

All the rich snobs eat their dinner at night. I get mine at 1.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Biggins wrote: »
    I linked to it already previously in an earlier post, just on this matter.
    Not only are they pushing the boundaries of Irish law and data sharing but they are also possibly breaking EU data protection laws to boot.

I'd say the CSO. would fight any attempt to access their database, tooth and nail. If people couldn't trust their information to be kept confidential, a lot more people would just fill it in with......
    baloney;)
    They wouldn't be able to trust their own data. Whereas the ESB would have very little to lose, just saying they had no choice!

Plus, as hondasam has said, it wouldn't be a reliable source for "home ownership" anyhow.

The poll that started this thread is starting to look surprisingly accurate, the Yes and No's are divided 32.77% to 67.23%

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Slick50 wrote: »
    I'd say the CSO. would fight any attempt to access their database, tooth and nail. If people couldn't trust their information to be kept confidential, a lot more people would just fill it in with...... They wouldn't be able to trust their own data. Whereas the ESB would have very little to lose, just saying they had no choice!

Plus, as hondasam has said, it wouldn't be a reliable source for "home ownership" anyhow.

The poll that started this thread is starting to look surprisingly accurate, the Yes and No's are divided 32.77% to 67.23%

Do your sums again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Several reasons I wont be paying

1 - I didnt or anybody I know didnt create the catatrosphic fiscal mess we are in.

2 - The people in power didnt do their jobs.

3 - The money will be pi**ed up against the wall.

4 - Taxes and cost of living is already at breaking point, the only fcuking thing that has dropped in price is property !

5 - I voted FG in the last election for REAL change, they are now riding joe public bareback, FF had the decency to skin up :eek:

6 - I dont have many options to have my meagre voice heard so if its one way of making my feelings known I'm fcking grabbing it !

7 - Big Phil Hogan slaughtered council budgets and expected joe public to big up the tab. Even if EVERYBODY paid the councils will still be short changed.

8 - The collection of the charge is entirely uneconomic, its like asking someone to pay a 1 euro bus fare when it actuallys costs 2 euro.

9 - Even with 90% compliance the sheer volume of people is unsustainable to chase.

10 - They dont have a CLUE who owns what in this country so as they have already admitted they need YOU to own up and help them with their little project.

11 - I have no doubts they will fcuk people even harder next year and triple the charge...MINIMUM. Then the doo doo will hit the fan and if you were naive / silly / frightened enough to pay now they will be on your ass BIG TIME, as you are the low hanging fruit.

12 - The entire strategy and execution has been VERY badly thought out.

13 - No consideration given tho those who cant pay.

14 - State media outlets giving this unneccessary relentless coverage is bollox and completely bias IMHO.

15 - Claiming "sure all the other EU countries do it" is apples and oranges, the majority of other countries dont have the level of waste / inefficiency or downright shambolic public services that we have, ie you can see where your cash is going.

16 - Big Phils bully boy tactics over the last week have been nothing short of disgraceful...theres ways to do things and ways not to...Phil has gone for the latter and his attitude is bertieesque.

And breathe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No, no, no, no, and no.

Not paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

RTE saying that leo varakar expects a 90% take up by sat !

:D:D:D:D

spoofing about the figures again. ive YET to hear RTE say the people exempted have to sign up too.

so wheres that 200k in their figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

Sizzler wrote: »

1 - I didnt or anybody I know didnt create the catatrosphic fiscal mess we are in.

4 - Taxes and cost of living is already at breaking point, the only fcuking thing that has dropped in price is property !

5 - I voted FG in the last election for REAL change, they are now riding joe public bareback, FF had the decency to skin up :eek:

6 - I dont have many options to have my meagre voice heard so if its one way of making my feelings known I'm fcking grabbing it !

7 - Big Phil Hogan slaughtered council budgets and expected joe public to big up the tab. Even if EVERYBODY paid the councils will still be short changed.

8 - The collection of the charge is entirely uneconomic, its like asking someone to pay a 1 euro bus fare when it actuallys costs 2 euro.

9 - Even with 90% compliance the sheer volume of people is unsustainable to chase.

10 - They dont have a CLUE who owns what in this country so as they have already admitted they need YOU to own up and help them with their little project.

11 - I have no doubts they will fcuk people even harder next year and triple the charge...MINIMUM. Then the doo doo will hit the fan and if you were naive / silly / frightened enough to pay now they will be on your ass BIG TIME, as you are the low hanging fruit.

14 - State media outlets giving this unneccessary relentless coverage is bollox and completely bias IMHO.

15 - Claiming "sure all the other EU countries do it" is apples and oranges, the majority of other countries dont have the level of waste / inefficiency or downright shambolic public services that we have, ie you can see where your cash is going.

16 - Big Phils bully boy tactics over the last week have been nothing short of disgraceful...theres ways to do things and ways not to...Phil has gone for the latter and his attitude is bertieesque.

this summed it up perfectly for me
    no 11
    it will be a thousand in no time at all

the amount issue is laughable.

to have enda and co say "look how much more it is up north/europe" with a straight face is to show utter contempt for the intelligence of the average irish person.

do they not SEE that we can connect what the charge is now and what itll be in a few years time ?

we know full bloody well itll be the same as there as soon as the gov can manage it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Unfortuantely for all of us the blue-shirts were so desperate to get into power that they lied outright to the Irish people.

Here's a clip of one of the liars in action last year for anyone who hasn't already seen it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Just to add that this tax is discrimination in it's purest form.

It's supposed to be for local services used by everyone, yet only people who own a property have to pay.

Renters get off scott free!

That, right there is pure, unadulterated discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

RTE saying that leo varakar expects a 90% take up by sat !

:D:D:D:D

spoofing about the figures again. ive YET to hear RTE say the people exempted have to sign up too.

so wheres that 200k in their figures ?
    Take the cotton wool out of your ears.
    He said he didn't think 90% would pay by the deadline.

dvpower wrote: »

Whatever he thinks, after Saturday there will be a serious drop off in people registering........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

That's what I thought he said as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You must have kids too.
    We finally get to eat ours in peace when ours are in bed. :o

hondasam wrote: »
    That's what I thought he said as well.
    I even listened back on it. The report definitely said that he didn't think 90% would pay by the deadline.
    I guess this is a case of selective hearing.

I think its the first time I can remember people standing together to fight injustice in Irish politics. The people clearly are saying enough is enough. Politics is crooked for all to see and we have enough. There isn't one of them capable of telling the truth. One crowd is as bad as the other. The Mahon Tribunal showed that very clearly. The fact that not one Banker, Speculator, Regulator or Politician appeared in court regarding Anglo etc is a disgrace and is a huge factor in people not paying this tax. They know where it will be going.

The population of Ireland has finally grown up and it's great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Is that through a tube ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Decided today that no, I won't. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think a lot will cave and pay at the last minute, which is a pity. Solidarity is unbeatable, but not hugely an Irish trait, we do factions better.

I think its the first time I can remember people standing together to fight injustice in Irish politics. The people clearly are saying enough is enough. Politics is crooked for all to see and we have enough. There isn't one of them capable of telling the truth. One crowd is as bad as the other. The Mahon Tribunal showed that very clearly. The fact that not one Banker, Speculator, Regulator or Politician appeared in court regarding Anglo etc is a disgrace and is a huge factor in people not paying this tax. They know where it will be going.

The population of Ireland has finally grown up and it's great to see.

I thought that the really great thing about this protest was that you didn't have to protest at all - you just didn't register and didn't pay.
    Now its 'people standing together to fight injustice in Irish politics'. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Of course its not true. Don't be so silly.

Why of course? its not silly to ask, thats what I heard and was going to ask to confirm, its not an unreasonable thing to believe given the amount of expenses politicians get paid, just another perk is all it would be.

All the same, you seem to have a habit of spouting stuff with out backing it with anything except, read the legistlation. You must be a civil servant as not everyone has the time to read through every line of what is hidden in those things or used to reading it.

You seem to reply to what you want, you certainly didnt respond with a link to where you found that/got the idea that the NPPR was defunct when paying this extra tax, when i asked you that?
    I've just listened to some tosser on the news claiming they dont want to have to cut services like lifeboats, why dont they cut their staff and wastage and their own bloated pay, some guy at the top threatening with scare tactics on an over inflated wage no doubt.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    Is that through a tube ??

No. I wouldn't use you for that !!!

I thought that the really great thing about this protest was that you didn't have to protest at all - you just didn't register and didn't pay.
    Now its 'people standing together to fight injustice in Irish politics'. :confused:

Don't always take the literal meaning out of everything.
    Seriously though people are protesting like never before. There is a lot of anger out there and its across the board for a change. This is effecting all sectors of the community.

Pottler wrote: »
    Decided today that no, I won't.
    Didn't you decide a month ago that you wouldn't be paying? :rolleyes:
    Pottler wrote: »
    Pottler for one won't be paying.

Seriously though people are protesting like never before. There is a lot of anger out there and its across the board for a change. This is effecting all sectors of the community.

Now tayto, don't you know that the bould dv only sees what he wants to see, hears what he wants hear etc.

I'm happy to extract a parable from a lot of the posts here.
    Seriously though people are protesting like never before.
    You're just making it too easy:pac:

I'm happy to extract a parable from a lot of the posts here.

You're just making it too easy:pac:

Well then would you spend some time on this one -

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

i didnt even HEAR what he said.

i only heard what the woman presenting 9 news said.

if im wrong im wrong.

least i can admit that possibility andnot snark on like you for 20 pages !

talk about preciousness.

that 100 euro must really be burning you as a loss.

in other news this issue has dominated the FG meeting. gues the preasure is coming on from the grannies !

Merch wrote: »
    Why of course? its not silly to ask, thats what I heard and was going to ask to confirm, its not an unreasonable thing to believe given the amount of expenses politicians get paid, just another perk is all it would be.
    It is silly to ask. It has been asked and answered multiple times on various threads. Its silly imo to even feel it reasonable to think that politicians would be exempt.
    All the same, you seem to have a habit of spouting stuff with out backing it with anything except, read the legistlation.
    Imagine that. Backing up what I say by referring to the actual legislation on the matter. :rolleyes:
    You seem to reply to what you want, you certainly didnt respond with a link to where you found that/got the idea that the NPPR was defunct when paying this extra tax, when i asked you that?
    I must have missed that post. For the record, I didn't say that the NPPR was defunct. You must be confused.

new makey up figure by bill tormey on newstalks marc colean tonight.

apparenly less the 500k people now constitutes 600k people !

• Advertisement

i didnt even HEAR what he said.
    But you posted it here like it was a fact anyway
    i only heard what the woman presenting 9 news said.
    You didn't hear her saying what you said you did.
    if im wrong im wrong.
    No if about it. You are wrong
    least i can admit that possibility andnot snark on like you for 20 pages !
    20 pages - what are you on about?
    talk about preciousness.
    Talk about exaggeration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement