Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty Referendum: 31 May 2012

Options
  • 27-03-2012 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Basically the said treaty trumps our Constitution. I think a study of the treaty would be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Basically the said treaty trumps our Constitution. I think a study of the treaty would be more important.

"Trumps our constitution" is an over-broad (and over-used) phrase, although I'd agree with the general thrust of your comment, since the treaty - and any legislation "necessitated by the obligations of the State under that treaty" - is exempt from constitutional challenge.

To be honest, though, I would be more concerned by such exemptions if I felt the Constitution was particularly relevant to daily life.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Pretty much yeah.

From my reading any laws enacted under the treaty become law in the Irish state as the treaty shall not be challenged in any way by our constitution.

Does that mean if at any future point an elected government wants to opt out of this treaty we will require another referendum to essentially remove this one? Does this block the Irish government from not complying with legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm not a lawyer so I could be getting this completely wrong but this provision looks like it gives the government of the day carte blanche to do whatever it likes and justify it as being necessary to the performance of the stability pact.

For example, it would seem that a government could get rid of child benefit payments and justify it as being necessary despite the provisions in the constitution relating to the child and the family etc. Now thats an extreme and broad brush example and no government that wished to get re-elected would do it but it would seem that its possible under this provision.

If this amendment were time limited (say 8-10 years) or subject to reconfirmation with another referendum in 8-10 years than it might seem less powerful than it is.

On another point entirely, if there was a significant debt writedown (not the payment delay thats currently being proposed) then I might be more inclined to vote yes than I am now. I realise thats a mercenary viewpoint but so what, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm open to inducement.

I'm not a lawyer so I could be getting this completely wrong but this provision looks like it gives the government of the day carte blanche to do whatever it likes and justify it as being necessary to the performance of the stability pact.

For example, it would seem that a government could get rid of child benefit payments and justify it as being necessary despite the provisions in the constitution relating to the child and the family etc. Now thats an extreme and broad brush example and no government that wished to get re-elected would do it but it would seem that its possible under this provision.

If this amendment were time limited (say 8-10 years) or subject to reconfirmation with another referendum in 8-10 years than it might seem less powerful than it is.

On another point entirely, if there was a significant debt writedown (not the payment delay thats currently being proposed) then I might be more inclined to vote yes than I am now. I realise thats a mercenary viewpoint but so what, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm open to inducement.

Actually, that illustrates quite well the kind of problems I have with phrases like "trumps our constitution", because that's a similarly over-broad reading.

If a government decided to do away with child benefit, then, first and foremost, there's nothing in the Constitution to stop them doing so.

Second, assuming that there were something in the Constitution which would otherwise prevent them, they can't merely wave at this and claim it as protective. In the inevitable court challenge, the government would be forced to show that the abolition of child benefit was a specific outcome of treaty implementation - which, unless child benefit is specifically mentioned in the treaty, they couldn't possibly do.

At most, the government could show that compliance with the treaty meant that government expenditure compared to revenue had to remain within a certain envelope, and that remaining within this envelope - given the government's other spending and taxation choices - required a level of savings that could be financed by abolishing child benefit.

It should be immediately obvious, I hope, that the abolition of child benefit under those circumstances is in fact the outcome of the government's other spending and taxation choices, and is one possible way of meeting the targets, and therefore is not in any way specifically "necessitated by the obligations of the State under that treaty". Therefore, unless all the other spending and taxation choices had better constitutional protection than child benefit, there could be no obligation on the state to engage in something constitutionally repugnant to meet the targets in the treaty.

The exemption from constitutional challenge for treaty-derived law is not a carte blanche, but a very narrow exemption only for what can be shown to be a direct obligation of the treaty in question.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Pretty much yeah.

From my reading any laws enacted under the treaty become law in the Irish state as the treaty shall not be challenged in any way by our constitution.

Does that mean if at any future point an elected government wants to opt out of this treaty we will require another referendum to essentially remove this one? Does this block the Irish government from not complying with legislation?

No, because the effect is permissive rather than obligatory - "the State may ratify the treaty" rather than "the State shall ratify". Should the state decide at some future point to reverse ratification, then domestically, no referendum is required.

We don't vote in referendums to ratify treaties - we vote to give the Oireachtas or Executive the permission to do so if they choose.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

that wouldnt be as bad as my reading of it as it at least leaves a degree of accountability. It looks to me like carte blanche is being given to europe, over the heads of our own government.

Article 7 in particular is worrying
    T/SCG/en 15

ARTICLE 7
    While fully respecting the procedural requirements of the Treaties on which the European Union is founded, the Contracting Parties whose currency is the euro commit to supporting the proposals or recommendations submitted by the European Commission where it considers that a Member State of the European Union whose currency is the euro is in breach of the deficit criterion in the framework of an excessive deficit procedure. This obligation shall not apply where it is established among the Contracting Parties whose currency is the euro that a qualified majority of them, calculated by analogy with the relevant provisions of the Treaties on which the European Union is founded, without taking into account the position of the Contracting Party concerned, is opposed to the decision proposed or recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You already know my view Scoffy but I may as well chip in here: If it involves giving a body outside the state of Ireland to override voters inside the state of Ireland in any way, I'll be rejecting it.

It appears to fit this criteria at first glance, however I haven't yet researched it so I won't commit yet to either a yes or a no.

Incidentally, is there a link where I could read the treaty, or an unbiased, neutral summary of what it entails, point by point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's been a long time since I've had to read legal prose but I would translate quote into clearer English thus:

The state has permission to give formal consent to the treaty known as the Fiscal Treaty. Nothing in the constitution can be used to invalidate any measure taken by the state as a result of the said treaty or any measures undertaken by organisations active under the patronage of the state in regards to the treath.

That's my reading of it but I'm open to correction.

You already know my view Scoffy but I may as well chip in here: If it involves giving a body outside the state of Ireland to override voters inside the state of Ireland in any way, I'll be rejecting it.

Since it entails a limit on the ability of the government to go into deficit - and that is perhaps something people might want to vote for - then I guess it does so. On the other hand, you might consider that we're already signed up to almost exactly the same set of fiscal rules elsewhere.
    It appears to fit this criteria at first glance, however I haven't yet researched it so I won't commit yet to either a yes or a no.

Incidentally, is there a link where I could read the treaty, or an unbiased, neutral summary of what it entails, point by point?

http://www.european-council.europa.eu/media/579087/treaty.pdf

It's not long!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

that wouldnt be as bad as my reading of it as it at least leaves a degree of accountability. It looks to me like carte blanche is being given to europe, over the heads of our own government.

Article 7 in particular is worrying
    ARTICLE 7
    While fully respecting the procedural requirements of the Treaties on which the European Union is founded, the Contracting Parties whose currency is the euro commit to supporting the proposals or recommendations submitted by the European Commission where it considers that a Member State of the European Union whose currency is the euro is in breach of the deficit criterion in the framework of an excessive deficit procedure. This obligation shall not apply where it is established among the Contracting Parties whose currency is the euro that a qualified majority of them, calculated by analogy with the relevant provisions of the Treaties on which the European Union is founded, without taking into account the position of the Contracting Party concerned, is opposed to the decision proposed or recommended.

Actually, that is a good point and a genuine concern. Coming back to BlaasForRafa's idea about abolishing child benefit - that's not something which is feasible under the ordinary operation of the Treaty, but is feasible under this clause. In other words, in the deficit mechanism it is possible for the Commission to make "proposals or recommendations" which we are obliged to support unless there's a blocking majority against them.

Such "proposals or recommendations" would presumably then be considered to be obligations in themselves, and therefore exempt from constitutional challenge.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The first thing that sprung to mind was tax sovereignty but yeah, it could be used to impose anything really unless we managed to convince a majority to back us. We're really being asked to take a gamble on an unknown and hope it's preferable to not being excluded from future EU bailouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

We're really being asked to take a gamble on an unknown and hope it's preferable to not being excluded from future EU bailouts.

That's perhaps true, but then the alternative isn't well determined, either. That is, your concern rests on the unpredictably of the usage of the Treaty by the European government -- however, can one really suggest that the Irish government is any more predictable and/or "better"?

Obviously the Irish government is more accountable in terms of relying more directly on the electorate for their position, but historical evidence suggest that this doesn't ensure that ultimately disastrous economic policies are not followed. The evidence here is the current crisis which was caused in a large way by the low-tax high-spend policies promoted by the 3 major parties. You're hinting that we can't trust the commission -- but should those fears be placed closer to home, too?

One thing I like about the EU (from my limited knowledge) is its "coldness". This treaty isn't here to help some parliamentarians keep their seats, or to shmoozy a few special interests. It is here because running large deficits has a demonstrably negative effect on the long term stability of the Eurozone, and something is needed to safeguard that. If the commission makes fiscal recommendations it probably won't have ideological factors (such as an opposition to child welfare, for instance) in mind, but will only be interested in satisfying the cold mathematical demands of a stable economic policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

One thing I like about the EU (from my limited knowledge) is its "coldness". This treaty isn't here to help some parliamentarians keep their seats, or to shmoozy a few special interests. It is here because running large deficits has a demonstrably negative effect on the long term stability of the Eurozone, and something is needed to safeguard that. If the commission makes fiscal recommendations it probably won't have ideological factors (such as an opposition to child welfare, for instance) in mind, but will only be interested in satisfying the cold mathematical demands of a stable economic policy.

You think that the EU Commission is free from ideological commitments, and immune from the appeals of specific interest groups? And you know that the various EU govts appoint its members, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This treaty isn't here to help some parliamentarians keep their seats, or to shmoozy a few special interests.
    Really? You don't think it's possible that the particularly tight deficit rules of questionable economic inflexibility and the nature of the correction mechanism dictated by the EU Commission could be - even in part - a sop dem Deustchen Volke, as Merkel eyes her fate?

That's perhaps true, but then the alternative isn't well determined, either. That is, your concern rests on the unpredictably of the usage of the Treaty by the European government -- however, can one really suggest that the Irish government is any more predictable and/or "better"?

Obviously the Irish government is more accountable in terms of relying more directly on the electorate for their position, but historical evidence suggest that this doesn't ensure that ultimately disastrous economic policies are not followed. The evidence here is the current crisis which was caused in a large way by the low-tax high-spend policies promoted by the 3 major parties. You're hinting that we can't trust the commission -- but should those fears be placed closer to home, too?

In fairness, the EU is a lobbyists wet dream. One of the things I'm worried about is that it's also not in fact immune from political opportunism either and the mechanism I highlighted earlier could well be used to forward an agenda at our expense, for example an instruction to us to raise corporation tax would go down well in a lot of EU countries.

Both of those concerns pale though when I think about the broader point, we are in effect giving up on democracy and looking to unaccountable technocrats to rule us. Representative democracy has failed in Ireland, I'd rather try to fix it though than abandon it. Short term perhaps, this treaty might be a good thing, medium to long term though I'd be looking to withdraw as opposed to getting further sucked in.

The question I need to ask is, do I support a temporary suspension of democracy and or accountability for the greater good of the nation, and will it be a temporary transfer or a permanent one.

In fairness, the EU is a lobbyists wet dream.

No more so than any other centre of power, I think. Somewhat less in quite a lot of ways, because the legislation gets voted on by 27 countries, which means quite a lot of national level lobbying is vital for developments at the European level.
    One of the things I'm worried about is that it's also not in fact immune from political opportunism either and the mechanism I highlighted earlier could well be used to forward an agenda at our expense, for example an instruction to us to raise corporation tax would go down well in a lot of EU countries.

But would be a terrible precedent for the other countries not to block. The Commission, precisely because it's not an elected body, but also because it operates by consensus, is less likely to start playing politics, and will be well aware of the limits to its effective mandate. Imposing a deeply nationally unpopular measure like that would do the Commission immense damage.
    Both of those concerns pale though when I think about the broader point, we are in effect giving up on democracy and looking to unaccountable technocrats to rule us. Representative democracy has failed in Ireland, I'd rather try to fix it though than abandon it. Short term perhaps, this treaty might be a good thing, medium to long term though I'd be looking to withdraw as opposed to getting further sucked in.

The question I need to ask is, do I support a temporary suspension of democracy and or accountability for the greater good of the nation, and will it be a temporary transfer or a permanent one.

Eh, and that's basically tosh. The clauses on excessive deficit procedures is only operative when there's an excessive deficit, and applies solely to measures to get us out of the deficit.

And while we're currently in an excessive deficit, we're also exempt from the application of these rules until three years after the end of our current program.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »

Eh, and that's basically tosh. The clauses on excessive deficit procedures is only operative when there's an excessive deficit,
    which is defined by the commission
    and applies solely to measures to get us out of the deficit.
    measures which are also defined by the commission

what happens if /when we are in excessive deficit as a result of following the fiscal treaty? Do we get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

later12 wrote: »
    Really? You don't think it's possible that the particularly tight deficit rules of questionable economic inflexibility and the nature of the correction mechanism dictated by the EU Commission could be - even in part - a sop dem Deustchen Volke, as Merkel eyes her fate?

No doubt - but I was discussing what recommendations the Commission would give when dealing with a country under the terms of the treaty, rather than the creation of the treaty itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Astonishingly poor decision-making in setting a date before the French presidential election on May 6. Francois Hollande is a clear favourite to oust Sarkozy and he has stated that he will rewrite the treaty when he is elected.

I predict a massive legal and logistical sh1tstorm... (Not that there wouldn't have been one anyway.)

"I will renegotiate [the fiscal pact], improve it, then ratify it," Hollande told The Guardian at a recent meeting of centre-left leaders in Paris.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/26/francois-hollande-angela-merkel-european-politics?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

• Advertisement

latenia wrote: »
    "I will renegotiate [the fiscal pact], improve it, then ratify it," Hollande told The Guardian at a recent meeting of centre-left leaders in Paris.

sounds familiar. I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't worry about a referendum being called for something which won't even exist in the same form a few weeks later? Or is it going to be worded so that whatever form the treaty may take now or at any point in the future will apply to Ireland, depending on who's in charge of Frence or Germany? What if by some freak result Le Pen gets in? Should I worry then?

which is defined by the commission

Who would you prefer it defined by? The Commission's procedures for determining excessive deficit are well established and transparent, and have been in place since Maastricht. While they've been flouted, I don't recall them ever having been applied unfairly.
    measures which are also defined by the commission

Again, not really. The article being cited applies to a fairly specific set of circumstances - a breach of the excessive deficit criterion within the excessive deficit procedure. Under most circumstances what applies is the national plan, either ad hoc or as part of the national "correction mechanism", as per Articles 3.3 and 5.1:
    2. The rules mentioned under paragraph 1 shall take effect in the national law of the Contracting Parties at the latest one year after the entry into force of this Treaty through provisions of binding force and permanent character, preferably constitutional, or otherwise guaranteed to be fully respected and adhered to throughout the national budgetary processes. The Contracting Parties shall put in place at national level the correction mechanism mentioned in paragraph 1.e) on the basis of common principles to be proposed by the European Commission, concerning in particular the nature, the size and the time-frame of the corrective action to be undertaken, also in the case of exceptional circumstances, and the role and independence of the institutions responsible at national level for monitoring the observance of the rules. This mechanism shall fully respect the prerogatives of national Parliaments.
    1. The Contracting Parties that are subject to an excessive deficit procedure under the European Union Treaties shall put in place a budgetary and economic partnership programme including a detailed description of the structural reforms which must be put in place and implemented to ensure an effective and durable correction of their excessive deficits. The content and format of these programmes shall be defined in European Union law. Their submission to the European Commission and the Council for endorsement and their monitoring will take place within the context of the existing surveillance procedures of the Stability and Growth Pact.
    what happens if /when we are in excessive deficit as a result of following the fiscal treaty? Do we get a pass?

Apologies - not sure what this refers to?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Also, big talk before an election notwithstanding, the new French president will come under a ****load of pressure to go with the flow when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Do you want us to withdraw from the EU completely because some functions have already become EU ones? How about the UN? Want us to go it alone there as well? Or our other international obligations?

If you answer yes, fair play, I can understand the madness of your policy position. If you answer no, I can't understand why you are objecting to this particular peice of sovereignty loss and not others?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You've just emphasised my point rather than counter it. The document Enda Kenny signed could well by toilet paper by the summer.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Also, big talk before an election notwithstanding, the new French president will come under a ****load of pressure to go with the flow when the time comes.

So we go ahead with a referendum on the presumption that one of the most respected politicians in Europe is lying and that everything will be grand anyway rather than waiting for a couple of months.

Apologies - not sure what this refers to?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Not sure myself seen as how we will (in theory) be out of the current terms of our bailout in 3 years.

What happens then though, is it up to national governments to balance or return a surplus and stay within the parameters set out by this treaty by using their own domestic policies, or is there a programme of directives set out here which we follow to achieve the targets. If the latter, what happens if we follow the directives yet still don't meet the targets. For example, we cut too much or tax too much under direction and fail to balance the budget.

Basically what I'm asking is, after 3 years is it up to us to meet the targets or are we instructed on how to meet them.

Are we not dependant on the trokia anyway to even be in a position to start clean in 3 years. A lot of it seems to be out of our hands, which isn't necessarily a bad thing provided our troika commitments cut the deficit in time, which is very debatable. We could walk into this thing already evoking article 7 from day 1.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So we go ahead with a referendum on the presumption that one of the most respected politicians in Europe is lying and that everything will be grand anyway rather than waiting for a couple of months.
    Alternatively, we bring a process of multilateral ratification of an international treaty to a screeching halt because of the posturing of an election candidate.

• Advertisement

will everything not be grand regardless. Does france have a veto? They're either in or out, just like us.

Advertisement