Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

dvpower wrote: »

btw, you put "renegotiate the crap deal" in quotes. Who exactly are you quoting?

My neighbour who is a FG councillor in DLCC?

Nah. I'm summarising FG policy for the slow readers. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

My neighbour who is a FG councillor in DLCC?

Nah. I'm summarising FG policy for the slow readers. :cool:
    It looks like you were trying to attribute something to FG or LAB that they didn't say, and when pulled up on it, you're trying to deflect by throwing insults around.

It looks like you were trying to attribute something to FG or LAB that they didn't say, and when pulled up on it, you're trying to deflect by throwing insults around.

Nah. Labour said they'd burn the bondholders and FG said they'd renegotiate the FF deal; neither has happened nor will it under these spineless cretins.

Any improvement we got was collateral from the second Greek bailout.

These guys should be shot for treason (just like Bertie) - not taken seriously with their illegitimate house tax.

Yes. They used their one pen-stroke in five years to reject FF policies and were ignored.

If FG/Lab thought they might win by saying "we'll have no choice but to implement FF policy" they wouldn't have had to lie, would they?

But they knew that might tip Independents/SF/FF (even) into power - so they lied and destroyed democracy. :cool:

Are you going to explain to us how the electorate explicitly rejected this tax at the last election?

These guys should be shot for treason (just like Bertie) - not taken seriously with their illegitimate house tax.
    This is bizarre stuff - I should have known it would degenerate.

• Advertisement

This is bizarre stuff - I should have known it would degenerate.

Me thinks you doth protest too much. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

If FG/Lab thought they might win by saying "we'll have no choice but to implement FF policy" they wouldn't have had to lie, would they?

You got it in one! ;)

(I guess this thread has a lot of life in it yet, what only 5 days to go and 80% refusing to register!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

That's why you must pay ze Germans.

FYP.

Is there an argument to say that perhaps, instead of a dangerous tax on peoples' property that could increase every year, a temporary tax could be introduced for the sole purpose of getting us out of the rut we're in? Why can't the government just be honest, let us know that we're utterly f**ked economically and that something needs to be done? In the form of a tax, even a severe one, which will help to get us out of this mess?

I'm under no illusions as to the state this country is in but I'm very worried about a property tax that will be implemented on a permanent basis and has the potential to increase year-on-year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What sort of tax do you have in mind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Am i the only person who has noticed that CajunOnTour and Wild Bill are the same person?

They have an identical writing style and they keep thanking each others posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

I agree with some limited local municipal taxes but I think we should strive to become a low tax country. Pay your own way and don't come running to Mammy government to look after you. The government will mostly waste any money given to them. Before any property based taxes are enforced we should cut deeply into the local authorities. Why do we need 4 county councils for Dublin for instance?

An honest one that might disappear after we've dug ourselves out of debt. As opposed to one quite clearly designed to dig us out of debt but which will be around indefinitely and can be increased at the government's whim and abused as a permanent wealth tax.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Am i the only person who has noticed that CajunOnTour and Wild Bill are the same person?

They have an identical writing style and they keep thanking each others posts.

Heh. Was just checking this myself.

mod: Cajunontour and Wild Bill banned for sock puppeting.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    (I guess this thread has a lot of life in it yet, what only 5 days to go and 80% refusing to register!)
    'till your next incarnation....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How about a 1c tax on sent text messages? According to 2006 figures (therefore conservative today), that could raise in excess of €60 million per year. It wouldn't even be your responsibility to pay it, it would be up to network providers to include it as part of their service charges.

A 2.5c tax on it and we'd have the €160 million being sought with this stupid regressive charge.. and with a lot less man-hours and costs attached.

How about a 1c tax on sent text messages? According to 2006 figures (therefore conservative today), that could raise in excess of €60 million per year. It wouldn't even be your responsibility to pay it, it would be up to network providers to include it as part of their service charges.

A 2.5c tax on it and we'd have the €160 million being sought with this stupid regressive charge.

With iMessage and the increasing availability of free data SMS-type services via various handset manufacturers, I don't think this would work even in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

A 2.5c tax on it and we'd have the €160 million being sought with this stupid regressive charge.. and with a lot less man-hours and costs attached.
    Yes , I love it...its brilliant and simple!
    and best of all its kids who will pay the most of it1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

jluv wrote: »
    The local authority owns quite a few houses that they are getting an income from. Will they be paying €100 for each of those as the people paying them will be using the same local services as myself?

Well - maybe the fact that the money goes to the local authorities? What's the benefit in a local authority paying when it just goes straight back to them? Would you feel the need to take a tenner from your salary every month, to give straight back to yourself - minus whatever overheads are involved in the transfer out and back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I always thought that was a great idea to be honest. Don't know why it wasn't taken seriously at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ten percent tax on gambling.

Just like years ago, you pay either ten percent of your bet upfront, if it wins, your tax has already been paid.

If you choose not to pay the tax upfront, ten percent gets deducted from the winnings.

Don't know how much was gambled in this country last year, but I'd(no pun intended) bet it the figure would be in the billions of euro.

Edit, the more I think of it, we tax the bejaysus out of the tobacco and alcohol industries (well wecertainly pay a lot in tax for these 'commodities' at the till)

Why do gamblers get off Scott free?

• Advertisement

These all sound like pretty preferable ideas compared to a tax on people simply because they own a property. Why not investigate these instead I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

With iMessage and the increasing availability of free data SMS-type services via various handset manufacturers, I don't think this would work even in the short term.

A massive amount of plain old text messages are still sent every year, and that number hasn't stopped increasing yet. Over 5.6 billion were sent on Vodafone's network alone last year. Even if it does decrease over time, the charge could be applied to other things in order to follow the numbers.. you could just as easily put a tax on mobile bandwidth usage etc.

Ghandee wrote: »

The internet might play a role in there.
    Why pay 10% if you pay nothing via your smartphone or computer?

Gambling is a very mobile industry - increasingly online nowadays. If the government put extra taxes in gambling, people will choose to gamble online rather than at their local shop.
    Its potentially a lose lose idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just like years ago, you pay either ten percent of your bet upfront, if it wins, your tax has already been paid.

If you choose not to pay the tax upfront, ten percent gets deducted from the winnings.

Don't know how much was gambled in this country last year, but I'd(no pun intended) bet it the figure would be in the billions of euro.

Edit, the more I think of it, we tax the bejaysus out of the tobacco and alcohol industries (well wecertainly pay a lot in tax for these 'commodities' at the till)

Problem with raising it though is you risk losing jobs due to shop closures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't underestimate the laziness of the texting public.

100 Euro a year cannabis cultivation licence.
    4 plants per person.
    Starting on New Years Day, each member of a Swiss household may legally grow four cannabis plants. So, if four people live together, 16 plants may be grown – but each person must tend their own plants.
    ‘But one person can not start growing more than four plants just by claiming they live with other people.
    ‘In this case, these other people have to actually be cultivating the plants themselves.
    ‘This means attending to the plant in such a way as to make it grow.’
    Swiss daily Le Matin quipped: ‘This basically means that you can grow four more plants for every housemate you have – just as long as they know how to hold a watering can.’
    The rules will apply in the cantons of Vaud, Neuchatel, Geneva and Fribourg from January 1 next year.

http://prohibitionsend.com/2011/11/18/growing-marijuana-will-be-legal-in-switzerland-on-jan-1st-2012/

Should allow police, prison and court funding to be diverted to more serious (actual) crimes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gurramok wrote: »
    Interesting after all this anti-household charge noise, a new poll shows the ruling parties increasing their share of the vote to 49%. That's half the electorate who still support the govt, how is this possible? http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0324/referendum.html

Yes indeed. I suppose most see it as a choice between Gonorrhea and Diarrhea.

Gonorrhea and Diarrhea.

Cajunontour and Wild Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

And sit back to listen to the howls of anguish from those interests. The way it works with taxes and spending is that people don't want to pay more or suffer any cutbacks themselves but they expect others to suffer that fate. The property tax is something which will affect probably over half the population if you take into account the families of 1.6 million property owners. It is a tax which will guarantee a revenue stream just as it does it lots of other countries and will not be liable to the vagaries of the stamp duty model. Arguing that it is not the same as local taxes elsewhere is fine but calling it illegitimate is denying democracy and the rule of law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah, you're a real ****ing hero.

Talking about heroes I met an elderly neighbour the other day on her way back from paying the Tax. She is 88 years old and she was afraid not to pay as someone put a leaflet in her door saying that she could face court and huge fines if she didn't pay on time. The woman is on a walking aid too.
    Nice people our Government ..... real ****ing heroes they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement