Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just Cause

I love legal films and this one was very good for the first hour
    Young, smart and articulate black kid beaten into a conviction and put on death row for murdering a popular young white girl.
    Ok it's been done many times before in books and films

But the black kid, he's so well spoken and believable, anyone could see he was innocent, surely?

In comes the brilliant city slicker lawyer to save him, face down the local hicks and that how I thought it was going.

Second half of the film goes off on a twist and I didn't like it at all

Decent film, script writers trying hard to put in their twist and be clever but a simple legal case would have worked just as well and maybe better
    I realy did not enjoy that twist

Ed Harris steals the show as a man facing the electric chair, I jumped during his interviews
    He's terrifying :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Just Cause

I love legal films and this one was very good for the first hour
    Young, smart and articulate black kid beaten into a conviction and put on death row for murdering a popular young white girl.
    Ok it's been done many times before in books and films

But the black kid, he's so well spoken and believable, anyone could see he was innocent, surely?

In comes the brilliant city slicker lawyer to save him, face down the local hicks and that how I thought it was going.

Second half of the film goes off on a twist and I didn't like it at all

Decent film, script writers trying hard to put in their twist and be clever but a simple legal case would have worked just as well and maybe better
    I realy did not enjoy that twist

Ed Harris steals the show as a man facing the electric chair, I jumped during his interviews
    He's terrifying :eek:

Have you seen this, its very good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117381/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Fly (Cronenbergian version): I'll never look at fingernails the same way again! A silly, absurd story (knowingly melodramatic throughout) but one where the sheer intensity of what comes makes it an enjoyable and occasionally squeamish film. It's thoroughly entertaining, if lacking in the grand themes and subversions of the best films from the director (Videodrome, namely).

First time seeing it? love that movie, the ending when
    Brundlefly picks up the barrel of the shotgun and puts it to his own head is heartbreaking
    . it does have the most ridiculous character names ever outside something not set on earth though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Typical of Cronenberg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Watched This Means War today, Decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

saw safe house earlier and it was dam good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Woman in black

A very solid horror movie liked it a lot.but daniel radcliffe..........i don't know,the jury is still out on him.i hate hp with a passion.

Safe house

I wanted and expected a lot more.i love denzel but left the cinema feeling meh.worth a watch but not mind blowing.

Temple grandin

Clare danes in a quirky movie about autism.its very good and based on a true story.well worth a watch.

Seeking justice

Poor nic cage he can't do a thing right lately.it's not a ****e movie but jesus it tries hard to be.I'm not even going to say worth a watch.you choose.

We bought a zoo.

We made a dud more like.it's ****e imo.i don't mind a schmalzy movie every now and then,which is what I thought this would be,but its god awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just caught some of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' on telly, my god it's awful, beyond awful in fact!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

John Carter
    Ok ,lots of great CGI but overall forgettable imo.Worth a look,but would'nt need to see it again.

Tombstone
    Great western,well worth a watch.Kurt Russell does a great job playing Wyatt Earp and Val Kilmer is top notch as Doc Holiday.

Pat Garrett and billy the kid
    Enjoyable western, James Coburn and Kris Krisofferson are both good in this one,even Dylan is'nt half bad either.Dylan's soundtrack really adds to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Kill List
    Fantastic movie, strange pacing and some interesting twists. Really unique and enjoyable, I can see why it got so much hype (and thanks a lot to this board where I first heard of it)

Young Adult
    Decent enough flick with Theron playing a woman who returns to her hometown in a state of arrested development, looking to hook up with her married highschool flame. Theron portrays the collapse of this woman with great tenderness, and the whole thing hagns together well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Starship Troopers the other night, first time in years, which haven't been too kind to it. The running joke about with the obviously manipulative propaganda doesn't seem quite as ironically amusing as it did back then, before the Bush/Blair era and the wars in the Middle East. But it's still quite an iconic cult film, and I hope I'll find it funnier again in the future.

One annoyance I have with the film is the "Prom" scene early on. The song the band is playing is a clumsily-modified version of a David Bowie song: I Have Not Been To Oxford Town, from his 1995 album Outside. I suppose it was used because the rhythm was weird, but since I like the album, it completely throws me off balance.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

'Wild Decembers' (2009) - last night on RTE. A dark tale of love, land, family feuds, Catholic guilt. Depressing stuff and even the County Wicklow landscape failed to lift things. Based on a novel by Edna O'Brien. Only for the diehard Irish movie enthusiast but still better than watching wall-to-wall CSI or Hawaii Five O. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

memories of a murder

long time since I first saw it, so I'd forgotten about the end
    that they never actually caught the bastard. wasn't expecting that.

still as good as the first time I saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Alien - My first time seeing it. I had the option of watching the 1978 Theatrical release or the 2001 Director's Cut. I went for the original.
    Not sure why it's so hyped up. it was good like, but I wasnt blown away. perhaps it was amazing for its time.

Dr. Zhivago - what a beautiful film, I loved it. The film is about 3 hrs 20 mins, so it took me a long time to get round to watching it even though its been sitting in my "to watch" pile for ages.
    An epic loves story, set in revolutionary Russia. Yuri and Lara are characters you really find your self caring about, but I found my self really admiring Tanya a lot as well.
    It really is a classic, even though that word is bandied about a lot in relation to films that really are not.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SarahBM wrote: »
    Alien - My first time seeing it. I had the option of watching the 1978 Theatrical release or the 2001 Director's Cut. I went for the original.
    Not sure why it's so hyped up. it was good like, but I wasnt blown away. perhaps it was amazing for its time.

You've probably been numbed by the hundreds if not thousands of films that have copied it since.

SarahBM wrote: »

It still puts modern science fiction movies to shame visually though

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Jonh Carter - I loved it. I really enjoyed it, and would be happy to see again. Now I am ready to start reading the novel, because before movie I didnt heard abou it.

Crazy Stupid Love - strange movie. While wathing I didnt enjoy. However after finishing I think this is quite intresting film.

The Raven - about Edgar Poe. Thriller. Well, to much blood for me. Maybe I am dissapointed because expected totally different stuff. I havent see the trailer before going to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Watched War of The Worlds on the Beeb last night, a superior big budget action flick. I generally hate Hollywood special effects shiite but Spielberg adds a touch of class to them (not AI though, yuck). The thing I liked most about it was that it was more like a chase movie, most of the time the machines were in the distance and you just heard that genuinely eerie sound and seen them on the horizon or seen their "probes" searching for humans, actually the bits were you see the creatures themselves are a letdown (like the cellar scene), still, a very good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Red State
    Very gruesome and very explicate. John Goodman is really good in this one.

Watched War of The Worlds on the Beeb last night, a superior big budget action flick. I generally hate Hollywood special effects shiite but Spielberg adds a touch of class to them (not AI though, yuck). The thing I liked most about it was that it was more like a chase movie, most of the time the machines were in the distance and you just heard that genuinely eerie sound and seen them on the horizon or seen their "probes" searching for humans, actually the bits were you see the creatures themselves are a letdown (like the cellar scene), still, a very good movie.

I hate the ending, love the rest of it though. the sound of the tripods is superb, especially in the cellar when they're hiding and you can just hear the machines stomping around off in the distance. I liked how it didnt go down the global Independence Day style route of having Tom Cruise fight aliens, he's just a bloke trying to keep his family alive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

The chaser

absolutely fantastic
    god damn I can't believe the girl died at the end, I know korean movies aren't as bad as hollywood when it comes to happy endings but I still believed she'd end up ok
    god damn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    I hate the ending, love the rest of it though. the sound of the tripods is superb, especially in the cellar when they're hiding and you can just hear the machines stomping around off in the distance. I liked how it didnt go down the global Independence Day style route of having Tom Cruise fight aliens, he's just a bloke trying to keep his family alive.

If by the ending you mean the soppy, inevitable reunion I agree (why didn't they let the son die or at least not make it to Boston), always has to be a happy, clappy finale in Hollywood films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CarlJones

The Help was very enjoyable, didn't expect it to be as good. Great drama elements mixed with comedy. And the undertone of the viciously racist southern states of 1960's USA is a good backdrop for the story.

The Vow It was my girlfriends turn to choose, so...

Love and Other Drugs again see above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CarlJones

The Artist more than just a gimmicky hit, stands up as a really good film in my opinion, regardless of whether it had sound or not.

The Descendants Another surprising one. George Clooney is brilliant as well as the actress playing his daughter. But the stand out guy is "Sid" he's absolutely hilarious in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I thought it was one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen - poor old Tom Cruise just can't act to save his life. As for trying to keep his family alive - apart from his ludicrous attempt at making 'jello' sandwiches for them, they eat and drink nothing during their whole time on the run. I think that the 1953 version stands very favourable comparison with Spielberg's effort but ,perhaps, with a more capable actor in the central role it could have been better. For my money the Richard Burton/Jeff Wayne musical version from 1978 is still the most haunting and true to the original story.

WayneTWOTW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The Woman in Black *remake with harry potter*

I loved the TV movie made in the 80ies but was really hoping Hammer would give this a good remake

but boy was I disappointed, the director went overboard with the amount of times the woman appeared, it was like every five minutes you went "oh here she is again"

Radcliffe was a bit wooden although Ciaran Hynes is always watchable, I find

the mood and suspense was quite good up to when he got to the house then it went downhill fast with to many in your face shocks

and less said about the sickly ending the better

if you are thinking about seeing this movie go for the TV movie first, its far far superior

I thought it was one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen - poor old Tom Cruise just can't act to save his life. As for trying to keep his family alive - apart from his ludicrous attempt at making 'jello' sandwiches for them, they eat and drink nothing during their whole time on the run. I think that the 1953 version stands very favourable comparison with Spielberg's effort but ,perhaps, with a more capable actor in the central role it could have been better. For my money the Richard Burton/Jeff Wayne musical version from 1978 is still the most haunting and true to the original story.

really? 3 oscar nominations would disagree. I think he's one of the most underrated actors around, he's given exceptional performances in Born On The Fourth of July, Rain Man (played a harder role than Dustin Hoffman), Interview With The Vampire, Jerry Maguire, Collateral, Magnolia to name but a few, and he throws himself into blockbuster roles like few other A list actors do in regard preparation for roles and stuntwork. I may disagree with his lifestyle choices but it doesnt take away from me enjoying his films, he is one of the few actors whose name alone can make a movie successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

really? 3 oscar nominations would disagree. I think he's one of the most underrated actors around, he's given exceptional performances in Born On The Fourth of July, Rain Man (played a harder role than Dustin Hoffman), Interview With The Vampire, Jerry Maguire, Collateral, Magnolia to name but a few, and he throws himself into blockbuster roles like few other A list actors do in regard preparation for roles and stuntwork. I may disagree with his lifestyle choices but it doesnt take away from me enjoying his films, he is one of the few actors whose name alone can make a movie successful.

Haven't you heard it's cool to diss Tom Cruise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I like Tom Cruise

but War of the Worlds is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

I used to like Tom Cruise. But the more I found out about scientology, the more I disliked watching him in something. Not to mention that fake plastic smile and "nice guy" persona he potrays in interviews. Comes off as an uber false and 'strange' bloke. But hey, he is still drawing at the box office. So there's still people who like him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement