Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dvpower wrote: »
    It is idiocy to suggest otherwise (abundant around here).
    Oh boy you are so right!:p

the maturity of some posters is shocking,

Along with the intelligence of some others......

alastair wrote: »
    the reason this is a homeowner tax, and not a householder tax - its about the wealth anchored in the property.

It is a household charge. Again your lack of understanding is astonishing.:rolleyes: And still no comment on the fact that 160,000 households are exempt (the ones that the Government had to provide housing to - many of whom are in a better position than others to pay this tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Only if I have to, the price of diesel is going up too....

You can run it on agri gerry, one less bit of tax for them to waste.

Who's taxing their way out of recession? It's an attempt to repay our national debt. Stacking up external borrowings won't help pull us out of recession either.

Which national debt are you talking about? The private banking bet, or the one we've incurred trying to keep PS/CS wages artificially high, along with ludicrous SW payments?

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The way to tackle external debt is to cut spending to match our revenue - something we should have done in 2008/2009. Instead we kept spending and, with an EU gun to our head, took on unlimited private banking debt.

We must cut spending to the level of a primary surplus; then get serious about the debt issue.

That is: default or write-down.

It will happen anyway, increasing taxation to try to repay the debts won't, and can't, work. So whether you think the immediate pain is too great is irrelevant; we should have got it over with in 2009 - instead we're waiting till the economy is destroyed, state assets sold off and letting unaffordable primary public current expenditure (funded by even more debt) carry on - and trying to squeeze more tax out of a stagnant economy to pay for it.

The sooner we face reality and cut out the cancer of Banker Debt (default) and match non debt-repayment spending to current taxation - the sooner we can start to recover.

There is no alternative; by delaying the default it will be bigger, and the economy worse, than if we act now.

There is no easy way out, but pretending we can repay the Bank debts isn't a way out at all.

Best post on this thread by a long shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bgrizzley wrote: »
    this is the sentence i queried, (from rte website)

By last Friday, over 260,000 households of the 1.6 million liable had paid the charge.

just wondering were they padding it by saying paid instead of registered (im sure the no side wouldnt do that :D)

All possible - I found this from last Thursday:
    251,458 – The number of properties which had registered for the household charge by 5pm on Thursday evening. That’s around one sixth of the total number of homes which are liable for the €100 fee.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/buses-oil-and-facebook-passwords-the-week-in-statistics-387064-Mar2012/

Off topic but on the same page...
    €85,000 – The amount spent by the Department of Finance in hiring an internal candidate to replace Kevin Cardiff as its chief civil servant. John Moran was appointed after Cardiff moved to the European Court of Auditors, but only after €10,000 was spent on advertising, and €75,000 on two executive search firms.

:eek:

Sweet Jesus. 100 grand. Is there ANY end in sight to the wasteful, bloated Civil Service? Fcuking eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

True. The "stealth" taxes we have here like VRT, USC and the useless PRSI are much higher though.

We rank 25 out of 29 including all taxation - 'stealth' and otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Is there ANY end in sight to the wasteful, bloated Civil Service?

Fair few of them posting on here if my spidey senses are anything to go by.
    Trying to coax the public to pay up, so that they can stay in the lifestyle they are accustomed to.

• Advertisement

anyone know where i'd get all the series of Yes Minister! ?:)

True. The "stealth" taxes we have here like VRT, USC and the useless PRSI are much higher though.
    and you believe anything they say? by your own admission earlier they lied to get into power.

You believe politicians suggested the tax liability would be higher than it actually would be? I supposed there's always a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

This is not a household tax, this is just a tax to try to partially fill the gaping hole in our finances caused by the bailing out of banks, spending excesses in social welfare, public sector pay + pensions and our governments inability to stand up to our european rulers. It could be called an education tax or even a medical tax, it doesn't matter where this tax will go because it is all due to a huge deficit....and what is causing this deficit?....one thing is for sure, I am paying a lot more tax now than i did 3 years ago so the government have clawed back any gains I received during the "boom times"....boom times...what a laugh!!....

What public service has come down in price...can anybody name one?....transport, education, medical, car tax, petrol, gas, electricity ??....for **** sake , even the NCT has gone from 40 to 55 euro...why....where are the cost savings promised from government....oh yeah....they are making savings but the cost of everything is going up!any savings are going in to that big black hole of an 18 billion euro deficit and servicing bank debts and interest payments!!!!
    Most countries in europe have a household tax, so we should too?...we pay less tax than many countries in europe?....these may be true but then again the cost of living is probably the highest in europe, do all countries pay such exorbitant levels of dole, rent allowance...do all countries have vehicle registration tax? ( thanks to a certain retired taoiseach on 150,000 euro per year pension!)
    We bailed out the banks, in most part we own the banks and those banks turn around, increase interest rates, people have lost their homes and all with the permission on our government.
    The attitude i can not stand is this " we are where we are "...yes we are because we allowed it to happen...but we can now stand up and say "NO MORE"
    To those that have paid this household tax, that is your choice and congrats to you for being able to afford it. I simply can not afford to pay, ultimately my wife and kids would feel the brunt of this and they are the ones who would suffer.
    Look at the inequities of this tax, people on 3 times my earnings may have a waiver!...why are council tenants not liable?....the list goes on and on....many people in employment are more vulnerable than "the most vulnerable".
    If the government go all out and try to bring down every day costs of living, if this tax is applied to everyone with no exceptions, and if they reduce that criminal cost of our social welfare and public sector...then I and only then would I even consider trying to pay this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Let's please continue the debate without the need to resort to insults and jibes.
    Please report any posts which cross the line.

mikom wrote: »
    Fair few of them posting on here if my spidey senses are anything to go by.
    Trying to coax the public to pay up, so that they can stay in the lifestyle they are accustomed to.

Got it in one my friend. A fair few seem to have invaded in the past fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Already paying the NPPR, so I will not be paying this tax Mr.Hogan.

Oh, and eat my biscuit as well.

Regards

Mr. Ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

I am expecting an "Anonymous" style attack on the computer system on the last day for payment to take down the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Got it in one my friend. A fair few seem to have invaded in the past fortnight.

I suspect myself that word has been sent out to the FG web savy and cummans that the public must be prodded further into coughing up.

You believe politicians suggested the tax liability would be higher than it actually would be? I supposed there's always a first.

i wouldnt believe them if they told me night followed day.............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

squod wrote: »
    Misdirected anger?

Its fantasy land they are posting from there.

• Advertisement

It is a household charge. Again your lack of understanding is astonishing.:rolleyes: And still no comment on the fact that 160,000 households are exempt (the ones that the Government had to provide housing to - many of whom are in a better position than others to pay this tax).

It's called a household charge, but it's only applied to homeowners, so that pretty much makes it an unambiguous property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

apache6 wrote: »
    I am expecting an "Anonymous" style attack on the computer system on the last day for payment to take down the site.
    What purpose would that serve?

i wouldnt believe them if they told me night followed day.............;)

A bit of logic wouldn't go amiss though. They flagged quite clearly that the tiered system to replace the initial €100 would mean much higher levels of payment, but we're not supposed to believe them (while claiming that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes about higher taxes coming down the line). It's hard to keep up with their deviousness!

A bit of logic wouldn't go amiss though. They flagged quite clearly that the tiered system to replace the initial €100 would mean much higher levels of payment, but we're not supposed to believe them (while claiming that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes about higher taxes coming down the line). It's hard to keep up with their deviousness!

correct me if im wrong Alastair, but didnt you say they lied to get into government?

im agreeing with you that they are not to be trusted.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

It's called a household charge, but it's only applied to homeowners, so that pretty much makes it an unambiguous property tax.
    so 160,000 households, many of which would have incomes, many of which are provided for free out of taxes, even the ones that don't have incomes are able to manage on social welfare.....but all of which will benefit from the local services for free....if you think this is fair then maybe you should go into politics...or maybe you already have?..

We could argue all day about the rights and wrongs of this tax, about the inequities of this tax etc. but we should not even be in this position....there is plenty of fat to be carved off govenment spending, this is the only way to close the deficit....I have given up hope on our government standing up to europe on the bank debt issue....they might get some sort of deal and save a few billion a year but believe me it will only be a drop in the ocean, and as usual the government spin doctors will go into overdrive feeding us [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL]....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 florodon2

Sweet Jesus. 100 grand. Is there ANY end in sight to the wasteful, bloated Civil Service? Fcuking eejits.

NO!
    Here in Cork a new Gael Scoil for 300 pupils is to be built on the only local public green area, on the Tank Field.
    About 200 meters away is Mayfield Community School, built for 1,000 pupils, with only 300 there now.
    Yes, two thirds of the building empty - and the Dept of Education wants to build a NEW school.... on a much used public green area, the only green, public, flat area in this part of the city.
    Obviously the money isn't out of their own pockets. Spend the public's money seems to be all they can think of.
    And then make cuts in other sections of the Dept of Education's budget, classroom assistants, teachers, cut back on smaller local schools, close down small local schools.
    SIGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mod:

Let's please continue the debate without the need to resort to insults and jibes.
    Please report any posts which cross the line.

I thought the mods weren't here at all. Seeing as the Don't Register Dont Pay message we see on every page is actually against the AH Charter since it advocates criminality.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747615

No advocating criminality or violence

Any threads or posts advocating illegal activities or asking for help in such activities will be deleted. Please do not attempt to advocate or incite criminality or violence as this is a bannable offence.

I posted this in another thread where breaking of the law regarding the TV Licence was being advocated but nothing happened except I got a load of personal abuse. Which is supposed not to be tolerated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Gubberment Ministers are exempt from this tax it's over in the Irish Econamy section can't give link on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    so 160,000 households, many of which would have incomes, many of which are provided for free out of taxes, even the ones that don't have incomes are able to manage on social welfare.....but all of which will benefit from the local services for free....if you think this is fair then maybe you should go into politics...or maybe you already have?..

Doesn't pay
    A person renting a council house with a good (non benefit) income, streetlights outside, public sewerage, a park and a library just a short jog away.

Pays
    John the unemployed farm labourer in an heirloom one bedroomed cottage in rural mayo, no streetlights outside, private septic tank, no park, no library.
    Ps. We'll be back shortly to ask for more money for the septic tank)

Justice.
    Fine Gael style
    I thought the mods weren't here at all. Seeing as the Don't Register Dont Pay message we see on every page is actually against the AH Charter since it advocates criminality.

Any threads or posts advocating illegal activities or asking for help in such activities will be deleted. Please do not attempt to advocate or incite criminality or violence as this is a bannable offence.

I posted this in another thread where breaking of the law regarding the TV Licence was being advocated but nothing happened except I got a load of personal abuse. Which is supposed not to be tolerated either.

You know where the report button is.
    Probably used to it........... in real life as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jesus Christ, you must have no skin on your face.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement