Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlie DVD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

krudler wrote: »
    watch 500 Days Of Summer, that'll put down those feelings :pac:

Was gonna suggest this; not a fan of chick flicks at all but that's a cracking movie.

Another two I've enjoyed were Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Easy A, though they're more comedy geared.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Easy A is great, well worth a watch if you like stuff like The Breakfast Club or Mean Girls, it references loads of 80s John Hughes movies, Emma Stone is brilliant in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

Actually seeing as this is riddled with suggestions for the notebook; was I the only guy wondering at what the fella she was engaged to did wrong? He got completely shafted!

I'm always that guy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Her wealthy family disapproved of him because he wasn't of similar "stock" as far as I remember.

I like some old-skool romantic weepies - and films with lots of explicit nookie. :pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Her wealthy family disapproved of him because he wasn't of similar "stock" as far as I remember.

I like some old-skool romantic weepies - and films with lots of explicit nookie. :pac:

stuff like Casablana or Brief Encounter are timeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

cson wrote: »
    Actually seeing as this is riddled with suggestions for the notebook; was I the only guy wondering at what the fella she was engaged to did wrong? He got completely shafted!

I'm always that guy. :(

He goes on to be Cyclops in X men and marries Katherine Heigl in 27 dresses if that's any consolation!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is the notebook the one where the guy threatens to commit suicide if she won't go out with him?
    super romantic :confused:

bluewolf wrote: »
    is the notebook the one where the guy threatens to commit suicide if she won't go out with him?
    super romantic :confused:

its only romantic when the suicidal guy is hot :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sounds pretty messed up
    i haven't seen it

sounds pretty messed up
    i haven't seen it

she's on a ferris wheel with a date and he climbs up to her and hangs off one of the bars and says he'll let go unless she agrees to go out with him, so not only does he blackmail her into a date he humiliates the guy shes on a date with. and this is the hero of the story. but its ok because he's way better looking than her date and that means he's loveable and not psychotic.

actually this is the scene:

• Advertisement

stuff like Casablana or Brief Encounter are timeless.
    I adore them. Also the weepies like Imitation of Life - sniff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Madam X was awesome!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

she's on a ferris wheel with a date and he climbs up to her and hangs off one of the bars and says he'll let go unless she agrees to go out with him, so not only does he blackmail her into a date he humiliates the guy shes on a date with. and this is the hero of the story. but its ok because he's way better looking than her date and that means he's loveable and not psychotic.

actually this is the scene:

Never saw the Notebook but was always under the impression it was a sweet story. Now i'm like,

23608610-d0b9-4658-9740-f98463148d30.jpg

:pac: What a psycho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

It's a bit oldskool but I love it anyway 'The Princess Bride' I know it's not a chick flick but I really enjoyed it! My other girlie go to films would be..
    -Stardust
    -10 Things I hate About You
    -How to lose a guy in ten days

and a massive +1 to whoever mentioned Easy A and mean Girls :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I suppose I should make a positive contribution. I love The Time Traveller's Wife. It was well adapted from the book (all things considered) and it's such a beautiful story. I think it's great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

OK, 500 days of Summer has been downloaded! Thanks for the recommendations, I have been meaning to download that for a while!

For my 2 cents, I really like "The Wedding Date". Debra Messing is amazing, and she has some seriously great hairstyles and outfits in the movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I second Muriel's Wedding. Also: Clueless and Mean Girls. I do like high school movies with a bit of dark humour - Election with Reese Witherspoon is brilliant. Romy & Michele's High School Reunion I like for the 80s nostalgia. Oh Drop Dead Gorgeous - about a small town beauty pageant - love it.
    Legally Blonde isn't bad. And I like Save The Last Dance - totally considered rubbish but I likes. Great soundtrack too.

I absolutely LOVE every single one of those, great taste Dudess!!

I wouldn't count myself as a chick flick fan generally but I do like a few, mostly the above ones, but I also love Cruel Intentions, Love Actually, Pleasantville, The Object of my Affection and Bridget Jones' Diary.

Pandora2 wrote: »

Madam X was awesome!!
    Love it! Totally OTT but such a great story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Bridesmaids!!!!

Also worth a watch but not chick flicky: Paul and Grown Up's.

is there somewhere i can hand in my woman card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Not much of a fan of "girlie" but these are some that I love which I think qualify:

Although not for the faint-hearted, Secretary is my favourite love story ever, closely followed by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Waitress was really good and I particularly liked the ending.

Some period classics ... Emma, Dangerous Liaisons, Sense & Sensibility, A Room With A View.

Whip It! is one of the best new chick flicks I've seen and Amelie is wonderful if you can live with subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i got myself 3 girly dvd's last week. letters to juilet (which i absolutly love!!), palamino ( from a danielle steel book) and it's complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

is there somewhere i can hand in my woman card?

I'll swap ya for my Man card as I would be a major "Chick Flick Fan" :o I have watched and enjoyed evey so called chick flick mentioned on this thread, most more than once and even read and enjoyed the Twlight books (Team Edward) :D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Listen to LittleBook.

The last film I watched that nearly made my heart explode was It's a Wonderful Life (I've seen it about ten times). This last time I really got thinking about George's reluctance and fighting what was in his heart. The scene where he finally gives in had me in tears. It's a scene I always found weird before, how he was being a bit of a prat and kisses her almost violently. When you consider what must be going on in his head though, fcuk.

*dissolves into a puddle at the memory of it*

I am going to watch that film once a year for the rest of my life.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I am going to watch that film once a year for the rest of my life.

Us too ... every Christmas, without fail. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

watch 500 Days Of Summer, that'll put down those feelings :pac:

Just downloaded it :D Looking forward to watching it, I love Zooey Deschanel!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

if you get a guy to sit through the notebook you know he truly loves you :pac:

Nicholas Sparks wrote the original book, along with Dear John, A Walk To Remember, Message In A Bottle (see a pattern forming here lol) for a guy he's nailed the writing of chick lit novels :pac:

*makes mental note to test theory in future* :p

I've seen Dear John but none of the rest.
    its only romantic when the suicidal guy is hot :pac:

Yes.
    I suppose I should make a positive contribution. I love The Time Traveller's Wife. It was well adapted from the book (all things considered) and it's such a beautiful story. I think it's great :D

I really liked that movie as well. Must actually watch it again, I kinda forgot I had it! :rolleyes:
    mollybird wrote: »
    i got myself 3 girly dvd's last week. letters to juilet (which i absolutly love!!), palamino ( from a danielle steel book) and it's complicated.

I loved that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

My girly ones are:
    Madame x
    Imitation of life
    Steel magnolias
    The bridges of madison county.
    Bridget Jones diary
    Love actually.
    Dear John
    Shirley valentine
    The notebook
    Dirty Dancing (is that girly ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I love Steel Magnolias. Another good one is Fried Green Tomatoes.

• Advertisement

Carter12 wrote: »
    Steel magnolias
    Shirley valentine

Good call! I was thinking of those two but left them out because I thought, in this context, "girlie" = romance?

Possibly my own misinterpretation though ... many's the time I've argued that Aliens is a "chick flick" because the main character is a woman or that Bull Durham is too because the romance is as important as the baseball ... and don't even get me started on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon :)

Some more classic wimmin's films (sorry if they've been mentioned):

All About Eve
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Rebecca
    Notorious
    Alice Doesn't Live here Anymore
    The Women (original)
    Now Voyager
    Casablanca
    Brief Encounter
    An Affair To Remember

Advertisement