Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look down on other who dont own cars?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No I don't look down on people who use public transport.

The first two cars I owned were written off by other people (one stolen, the other wrecked in a crash). Since these formative motoring experiences I just see cars as metal boxes with wheels that go and cost quite a lot of money.

On a lighter note I just paid for a years insurance and it only cost me €185. One of the joys of having a long no claims bonus and getting into your 30's I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Since I live in the ar*ehole of beyond, I need transport. To me it's a necessity. No public transport at all. I really do not care if others have a car or not. Why should I? I wish I could do without the fecking yoke.

Red21 wrote: »
    I always hide the fact that I own a 98' Jetta until i'm sure it's really me she's intrerested in.

Surely 'tis a Vento you have if it's a 98?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course not but its a bit of drag when you know fully grown people that won't drive but still rely on you for lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll be 35 this year and haven't owned a car yet. I've never felt looked down upon or had something smart said to me.

The people whose opinions should matter to you won't care about your lack of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

We have a 7 seater 'cos we need one, not by choice. If we didn't need a car it would be gone in the morning. On a slightly different note its a 00, also my neighbour drives a '95 reg, I don't understand the mentality of changing your car every couple of years if the one you have is fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I'll be €35 this year and haven't owned a car yet. I've never felt looked down upon or had something smart said to me.

The people whose opinions should matter to you won't care about your lack of a car.

Well obviously you don't own a car, sure you've no arms or legs to drive with, or can you get the vehicle adapted for currency now?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Buses are for poor people
    There must be a lot of well dressed ,well spoken , poor people on the 17 ,10, 49 etc, bus routes so .

Millions of commuters across Europe in citys such as London ,Paris Amsterdam ,Berlin etc don't have that particular Irish hangup about using Bus's or other forms of public transport (It might be because they are more efficiently run and cleaner ? )

Latchy wrote: »
    There must be a lot of well dressed ,well spoken , poor people on the 17 ,10, 49 etc, bus routes so .

Millions of commuters across Europe in citys such as London ,Paris Amsterdam ,Berlin etc don't have that particular Irish hangup about using Bus's or other forms of public transport (It might be because they are more efficiently run and cleaner ? )

Yeah but they're foreigners:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

micropig wrote: »
    Yeah but they're foreigners:eek::p
    Exactly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Lapin wrote: »
    People in double decker buses look down on everyone.

Only in the top deck Lapin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I don't have a car or drivers license and hopefully I never will.Far too much hassle.Though in fairness if you are a rural dweller then it's probably essential.

Using the bus/luas is much handier and less stressful and expensive then driving imo,all my friends who do drive seem to complain non-stop about traffic or petrol prices or how they need to replace some part on their car and the garage are screwing them on the price etc.

No thanks,I'll stick with public transport and read my book instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nothing wrong with people who dont have a car but i would find it very strange if someone was reaching their late 20's and still didnt have a license.

I'd find it strange if they didn't have a car and the only licence they have is for the dog, but they always went through the drive through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I don't drive because I have a condition that affects my ability to co-ordinate and judge space/distance/speed accuratley. The worst thing about this has always been other people's condescending and dissmissive attitude not the limitations of the condition itself. I've just accecpted that I have to walk or use public transport and got on with it .I've done 2 hour each way commutes to 12 hour night shift and didnt complain. I hate scabbing lifts. If I have to get up/leave hours earlier than everyone else, so be it. That was all fine when I was living close to a public transport network. It's a different story in Kerry though. Public transport? What's that?

I look after my father who is 80 and while he can still drive it won't be long now before he won't be able to anymore, and when he is sick and needs to go to hospital or in an emergencey it's hard not driving. Not to mention the fact that if I could drive I could be more employable. So, I'm going to have to drop €350 with an OT in Cork to get an "official" diagnosis and a similar amount to another OT for a driving assesement, depending on what she decides I may be able to get lessons for an automatic licence with the Iish wheelchair society. I have to go this round about expensive route because there are no driving instructors in Kerry who have their own automatic cars to give lessons in and only one instructor in the country (Dublin) who has been trained to instruct people with this condition to drive.

So basically, it is going to cost me €700 to find out whether or not I'm safe to drive before I even start paying for lessons, a car, tax, insurance etc.

Public transport is great. If you live in an area that has it don't knock it. And don't forget that there are many people who cant drive due to illness/disability that may not be visible to you. Just becuase you can't see it or they haven't discussed it with you doesn't mean they don't have an issue that prevents them from driving.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I don't drive because I have a condition that affects my ability to co-ordinate and judge space/distance/speed accuratley.

I have that, but then again I am an alcoholic :pac:

Andy!! wrote: »
    I have that, but then again I am an alcoholic :pac:

Funny you should say that; I have often been asked if I've been drinking when I walk into a door frame/ bollard whatever is in my way and obvious to everyone else :o. So now you see why I haven't driven up to now! It would be like drink driving. I must remember that the next time i get some smart arsed comment about not being able to drive.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I've never learned to drive either, but that's because I'm lazy :D

Andy!! wrote: »
    I've never learned to drive either, but that's because I'm lazy :D

Even I'm looking down on you :D. And I can't even ride a bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

BLACKEN wrote: »
    So my question is in day to day life do people look down/be little others who don't own their own transportation?

I notice this too when it comes to meeting the opposite sex too, however i'm of the opinion that it helps keep potential gold diggers away but it can be said that maybe it shows lack of progress in ones life.......... discuss! :-)

Yes. There tends to be a feeling that someone who doesn't own a car hasn't quite grown up. A car is portable status symbol. Individuals waste a fortune on cars they don't need. Constant trade ins "I'll get nothing for it if I don't sell it now" along with interest payments mean it can be a very expensive lifestyle choice. Cars are handy for most people and essential for some. Clever individuals don't have a car at all or else minimise the cost by keeping a well maintained older car going and just ignore the point scoring from the money wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate ).

When we got to our ( mainly 4 bedroomed detched ) estate I counted 7 2012 cars.
    And even tenser since we have been adjudged exempt for the 100 euro household charge because we live in an "Unfinished estate" I mean the shame.
    ( We didn't tell the sister, but she found out somehow )

So, you live in a what is essentially ghost estate, most likely in the middle of nowhere and in extreme negative equity, surrounded by other people who are in misery they themselves are solely responsible for, and you feel you're in a position to look down your nose at people?

I did get a chuckle, I'll admit. Delusional - the same thing that put you in that situation in the first place, I would bet.

So, you live in a what is essentially ghost estate, most likely in the middle of nowhere and in extreme negative equity, surrounded by other people who are in misery they themselves are solely responsible for, and you feel you're in a position to look down your nose at people?

I did get a chuckle, I'll admit. Delusional - the same thing that put you in that situation in the first place, I would bet.

Yes, but its a four bed room detached ghost estate with lots of 2012 cars;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

going a slight bit off topic I know, but wanted to ask: would people who drive cars with manual transmissions (the majority in Ireland) look down on people who drive automatic cars?

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    going a slight bit off topic I know, but wanted to ask: would people who drive cars with manual transmissions (the majority in Ireland) look down on people who drive automatic cars?

Depends, if you have a medical reason, that's fine, but if you just can't work the gears, you're clearly a moron:p:D

Depends, if you have a medical reason, that's fine, but if you just can't work the gears, you're clearly a moron:p:D

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm 36 and have yet to Learn how to Drive. Every year including this one
    I keep putting it off.

For some odd weird reason that I cannot explain I've never felt the urge or need
    to learn how to drive and to get my own car. I've been nagged to death by friends and parents over the years giving me all the spiel about it giving
    me "freedom" etc etc but I still am just happy on my ol Pedal Bike.

Must attempt sometime to look at the Theory Test and possible take a few lessons (I just lack any urge and almost dont want to for no particular reason)

The only time I've ever said to myself that I should be driving was when the
    OH was in the hospital and I could not collect here when she was discharged,
    or when a pet Cat was injured and needed to goto the vet in an emergency and
    also when I needed to travel half way up the country so I could shoot my rifle.

~B

Sardonicat wrote: »
    :mad:

But you have a medical condition, you're excused:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

bullets wrote: »
    I'm 36 and have yet to Learn how to Drive. Every year including this one
    I keep putting it off.

For some odd weird reason that I cannot explain I've never felt the urge or need
    to learn how to drive and to get my own car. I've been nagged to death by friends and parents over the years giving me all the spiel about it giving
    me "freedom" etc etc but I still am just happy on my ol Pedal Bike.

Must attempt sometime to look at the Theory Test and possible take a few lessons (I just lack any urge and almost dont want to for no particular reason)

The only time I've ever said to myself that I should be driving was when the
    OH was in the hospital and I could not collect here when she was discharged,
    or when a pet Cat was injured and needed to goto the vet in an emergency and
    also when I needed to travel half way up the country so I could shoot my rifle.

~B

You should go for it. I was the same age when I took it up. Should never have left it so long. No interest in having a flashy car or anything - my 99 Corolla will do me for another few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Funny this thread should happen today as it was only yeaterday myself and the OH was visiting her sister.

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate )

Don't ya just hate when people are out having a life when you're stuck with the wife and sister-in-law :\

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I'm only 18 and havn't even got behind the wheel of any car yet - havn't even done my Theory Test, but I'm looking to soon. Thing is I'm quite paranoid about not being able to get used to the constant gear shifting and clutch pedal even though I've never done it before. I'm aware of the disadvantages of doing tests in automatic cars - the restricted licence BS. IMO it kind of bullies people out of doing their tests in automatics. People make their own decisions in life whether to drive whatever type-of-transmission car, and so don't exactly deserve to be looked down on. :rolleyes:

Advertisement