Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look down on other who dont own cars?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Red21 wrote: »
    I always hide the fact that I own a 98' Jetta until i'm sure it's really me she's intrerested in.

Gone are the days when everyone had the AUDI/BMW key ring to try fool people in to thinking they owned one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Who wants a car anyway

The coolest posters on boards are over in the motorcycle forum :cool:
    Getting all the wimmins
    Oh you're one of THEM are you?

I should buy a left hand drive so I can hit you people by opening my door as I pass :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes and they deserve to.

Someone who can get a loan to buy a car is probably in a better financial situtation than someone who hasent tried to get a loan to have a car.

Funny this thread should happen today as it was only yeaterday myself and the OH was visiting her sister.

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate ).

When we got to our ( mainly 4 bedroomed detched ) estate I counted 7 2012 cars.

Why's that? There are plenty of people who own a car, and can't really afford it, and vice versa. Do you think that all those 2012 cars were bought outright? Doubt it. Are they Merc's or Micra's? I'd rather a fully specced 2007,8,9,10,11 car than a poverty spec base 2012 model.

Does the other estate have better public transport? You're sure to find more new cars in a bigger estate too.

Also, you're not looking at the whole equation. If you live in an area where houses are generally older, then it can by expected that mortgages will be less - leaving more money for a car loan.

Also these things go in cycles, so just because your estate has more new cars this year, doesn't mean that will be the same situation as the average age, and priorities of people in an area change over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

I would love to be able to get rid of the car. Petrol+Tax+Insurance= :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I certainly don't look down on people who don't drive, but I would consider it a reasonably important thing in a partner- they would certainly need to want to learn at some point. The reason being that I want to move away from Dublin and live in the country, and it would annoy me beyond belief to have someone rely on me for lifts everywhere, as well as me being the only one able to ferry my various future animals around everywhere!

If I met someone now, and he didn't have a car but had a licence, happy days. IF I met someone who had absolutely no desire to learn to drive, ever, he can fe/ck off with himself. :P

Edit to add: I couldn't give a shit what he drove, as long as it wasn't an expensive car or a stupidly modified car. Or if he was precious about his car at all. If he has an issue with a bit of dog hair or wet dog in the boot, then it's an issue for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I've no issues with peope who don't own a car.
    I hate the lil boy racers out in daddy's car though.
    And find the lil boy racers out in mammy's micra adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I don't own a car and I don't have a license because I'm one of those cycling nuts and I don't fancy trading in my beautiful designer carbon baby for a used opel corsa, a hefty insurance bill and a plethora of parking fines, taxes, levies, traffic jams and the dire spectre of middle-aged obesity*.

I have found that there are some people who will look down on you for not owning a car or knowing how to drive when you're in your twenties but these generally aren't the sort of people whose opinions I take very seriously.

*Disclaimer: I'm not saying all drivers are obese, just that their more likely to be and that's something I'd rather avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

All my friends who have gotten cars are getting fat... LOL....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

My Mate is pi$$ing me off coz he won't nor ever will drive.
    I've basically stopped talking to him over the last 6 monts because of this fact.

I'm truly sick of him at this stage anyway. If you ring him the first thing he'll say is "Stalling Down" ?? before you can say to him "Stalling Up"

His reply : Nah, I've no way of getting there, stall down and give us a lift.
    What ? Nah F**K you, F**K off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Where is Ireland do they say Stalling Down?

I like that phrase, never heard it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

No people in cars look out and up to people walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

I know a girl who only last week said she'd never date a guy who doesn't drive his own car! She's 27 and wonders why he has no bf.

I sold my last car about 5 years ago as it was a waste of money in my particular circumstance - I only drove it one weekend a month. I have always lived within walking distance to work and near public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

in all seriousness, a 35 yr old man with without a licence or car is pretty weird? I have a freind like this, all he eats is pot noodle.

pawrick wrote: »
    I know a girl who only last week said she'd never date a guy who doesn't drive his own car! She's 27 and wonders why he has no bf..

yeah cos the ladies love meetig at the bus stop to go for date, she's dead right not to want to date someone who doesn't have a car,

she prob doesn't have a bf cos she a minger or nuts, i wouldn't think its got anything to do with her opinions or cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Abi wrote: »
    Oh you're one of THEM are you?

I should buy a left hand drive so I can hit you people by opening my door as I pass :cool:

:pac:

I have a LHD

.... Never thought of that

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    yeah cos the ladies love meetig at the bus stop to go for date, she's dead right not to want to date someone who doesn't have a car,

I don't know about you but when I think about going out for a date that usually means a nice dinner with a glass of glass of wine or three or perhaps ending up in a bar which means you wouldn't be able to drive home anyway so does owning a car really make that much of a difference. Also, if you choose to not own a car you can probably afford the occassional taxi or even afford to live somewhere nice close to bars and restaurants and cultural venues.

Personnally I'd have serious reservations about going out with someone who stipulated 'must own car' even if I owned a whole fleet of cars. It's just a silly way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If I have to move to a place with sh!tty public transport then I will get a car. Otherwise I'm not wasting a f*cktonne of money on transport which means I have to be sober to use it...

I've noticed in Germany everyone seems shocked that I'm not aiming to buy a car as most people here drive by the time they're 23 or so. I don't really understand it though, I live in a city, Germany has one of the best public transport systems with overgrounds, undergrounds, buses and intercity trains that run all night... Why the HELL would I waste my money on a car?

So unless I move to the middle of nowhere I'm sticking with the U-Bahn.

I don't know about you but when I think about going out for a date that usually means a nice dinner with a glass of glass of wine or three or perhaps ending up in a bar which means you wouldn't be able to drive home anyway so does owning a car really make that much of a difference..

Well i dont need to drink every time i go on a date such as cinema, theatre, dinner, visiting historic sites museums etc. i feel sorry that someone feels the need to drink "a glass or 3" to make you have a good date.

Also, if you choose to not own a car you can probably afford the occasional taxi or ..

is have a car and getting taxi's mutually exclusive??? here can't get a taxi i have a car, sorry love we'll have to walk.

Personally I'd have serious reservations about going out with someone who stipulated 'must own car' even if I owned a whole fleet of cars. It's just a silly way of thinking.

not really, when choosing a partner people take into accounts many things but most inportant is ability to provide for them and their family (consciously or sub consciously). now like it or not an ability to drive/have a car is more advantageous to a spouse for obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I only look down on people who scab lifts all the time. My 25 year old brother is a prime example, he can get a bus to work easily but instead he gets me or my Dad to drive him around. Loser.

My other brother has no car but just takes public transport and doesn't whine about it, so I think fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Depends on the situation. If it's someone in an urban area with good public transit, there's really no reason to own a car. Or if you live somewhere with not so great public transit, but have a bicycle or just walk where you need to go, that's fine too. No problem there. It's the people always looking for rides that bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Tbh i have no problem with being looked down upon. I ride a bike or walk to work. I take buses if i need to go longer distances.

Bikes save money and burn fat. Cars burn money and save fat.

Shame on me though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tbh i have no problem with being looked down upon. I ride a bike or walk to work. I take buses if i need to go longer distances.

Bikes save money and burn fat. Cars burn money and save fat.

Shame on me though right?
    Eh,no... have you even read people's replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Public transport is smelly.

I walk everywhere.

My feet are smelly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Yes and they deserve to.

Someone who can get a loan to buy a car is probably in a better financial situtation than someone who hasent tried to get a loan to have a car.

Funny this thread should happen today as it was only yeaterday myself and the OH was visiting her sister.

They live in a housing estate ( mainly 3 bedroomed semis and not one 2012 car in the whole estate ).

When we got to our ( mainly 4 bedroomed detched ) estate I counted 7 2012 cars.

This is the sort of materialistic wankerology that has this country in the ****ter... gotta get a car I can't afford or lando and wife next door will be looking down their noses at us...

fk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Car's are made of plastic and metal, I can't understand how some people would think they're above someone else because they drive? The only thing I usually think about is when I'm driving from A to B is that some lunatic doesn't crash into me. I need the car because of where I work and its inaccesible by other means. If I didn't have to have it I wouldn't.

Well i dont need to drink every time i go on a date such as cinema, theatre, dinner, visiting historic sites museums etc. i feel sorry that someone feels the need to drink "a glass or 3" to make you have a good date.

I wasn't suggesting you need to drink every-time you go on a date, personnally I don't drink on a regular basis but I will have between one and three glasses of wine with a nice dinner if the mood takes me. The point I was trying to make was that in real life, whether you drive or not is not going to make much of a difference to your love life. If you can't drive a girl around because you've been drinking then it shouldn't be the death knell of a relationship just like if you can't drive a girl around because you don't own a car shouldn't be the death knell of a relationship.
    is have a car and getting taxi's mutually exclusive??? here can't get a taxi i have a car, sorry love we'll have to walk.

No, they're not mutually exclusive, just like not having a car and getting a taxi are not mutually exclusive. You make it sound like going out with someone who doesn't have a car means you'll have to spend half your life waiting at dreary bus-stops. In actual fact I never get the bus, tis for poor people.
    not really, when choosing a partner people take into accounts many things but most inportant is ability to provide for them and their family (consciously or sub consciously). now like it or not an ability to drive/have a car is more advantageous to a spouse for obvious reason.

People choose their partners and spouses based on their priorities and if transport concerns are high on your list of priorites then you're probably not the most romantic of individuals to say the least. Which is why I'd steer clear.

Personnally I'd think a spouse with a car is a disadvantage. All other things held equal, car drivers have less disposable income, poorer health, higher stress levels, shorter lives, more debth and if you marry one more often than not they'll expect you to help pay for it all*. Ideally I'd prefer a fellow bike nut as a spouse but really it's not the sort of thing I think of when I'm out with a girl, I'm more concerned with personality, looks, sense of humour, common interests etc.

Fair enough if you want to place transport concerns as high in your list of romantic priorities but if that is the case I'm afraid you and me just aren't meant to be Seanmc1980.

*Yes I am a touchy little git when it comes to people raving on about the 'obvious advantages' of car ownership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Car's are made of plastic and metal, I can't understand how some people would think they're above someone else because they drive? The only thing I usually think about is when I'm driving from A to B is that some lunatic doesn't crash into me. I need the car because of where I work and its inaccesible by other means. If I didn't have to have it I wouldn't.

We only look down our noses because we can get from A to B faster than you can !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

And even tenser since we have been adjudged exempt for the 100 euro household charge because we live in an "Unfinished estate" I mean the shame.
    ( We didn't tell the sister, but she found out somehow )
    So you live in an unfinished estate, probably in a house worth a fraction of what you paid for it but are still of the opinion that people in better financial positions deserve to look down on others.

by that rationale, probably most people on this thread deserve to be looking down on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No, I just mow them down, I hate them all

And cyclists... something about seeing two wheels and spokes that triggers my craziness... it's tough really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    We only look down our noses because we can get from A to B faster than you can !

It depends on where you live and at what time you're driving. Walking or cycling (while still obeying the rules of the road) in a city during even a mildly busy period is often quicker than driving, and more pleasant.

Advertisement