Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jacknory

Love hurling, playing and watching, but don't have as much time for Gaelic.

I'm from Wicklow so it doesn't really matter, my county rarely achieve anything.

The current leinster intermediate champions are from Wicklow......Eire Og Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Hurling all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

HA HA some amount of wind up merchants on here. There is as much skill in GAA as there is soccer or Rugby.

Look at 0.30 onwards..No skill involved??

Richie Hogans goal v Tipp..Sure Fryup you could easily do that!!

Stop trying to wind people up good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

fryup wrote: »
    the GAA the sport & leisure wing of Sinn Fein
    :rolleyes: Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on AH in quite a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How that working out for him?

Coaching a team to a national championship and european hounours at the age of 32 and then going on to manage one of England's top five premiership teams at the age of 33?

CucaFace wrote: »
    Shows just how clueless about the sport you really are.

If by same formation you mean that they start the game with the players standing in the same postion , then yes.

Normally about 5 secs after the throw in ten the different tactical formations take shape. The exact same way it does in fotball (Soccer).

If anything the tactical elelment in Gaelic football has become too much an influence which has lead to a deterioion in the sport.

I stopped reading at this point.
    Ferguson never played top flight football? Must have been some other Alex Ferguson that broke the Scottish transfer record so...

I take your point, but my point wast that he has been infintiely more successful as a coach/manager than as a player.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

While I have great respect for the skills and fitness required to play Gaelic football or hurling, I don't think it's fair to say that it brings communities together.

It is incredibly insular and cliquey at club level. GAA families predominate where the Dads hang around the club the whole time trying to increase their kid's chances of making the team, and the mothers hang around the whole time gossiping with each other over rumours they've heard about other people's children ("did you hear her young lad's gone down a bad road?"), or other people's husbands ("I heard he lost the lot/I heard he's riding yer wan from the post office") all while making a few sangitches for the lads.

For the massive fundraising power it has, which really has no equal in Ireland, the vast amount (match gates, etc.) goes direct to HQ (if not into the pocket of the cute hoor working the gate first). It rarely in my experience does anything to support non-GAA related local issues, or indeed non-GAA related local sports or amenities.

Sure they'll have a few charity do's a year and pat themselves on the back, but between widespread illegal payments to managers at just about all levels and codes and the amount that goes straight to the big pot at head office, there's a lot more good things that could be done locally with those funds.

That's not to say it does no good, the good it does will probably make a load of people try and tear this post apart, but for me it could certainly do a lot more, and the insular nature of it is it's own worst enemy in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Coaching a team to a national championship and european hounours at the age of 32 and then going on to manage one of England's top five premiership teams at the age of 33?

I stopped reading at this point.

QUOTE]

Why?

So instead of asking someone who actually has played the game and follows it to explain how tactics are a big part of the game today, you would prefer to close your eyes and continue to keep your backward, narrow minded and ignorant view of another sport you have clearly have no clue about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CucaFace wrote: »
    Why?

So instead of asking someone who actually has played the game and follows it to explain how tactics are a big part of the game today, you would prefer to close your eyes and continue to keep your backward, narrow minded and ignorant view of another sport you have clearly have no clue about. ;)

I've played it too, you're not unique in this situation. Also, you said that "the tactical elelment in Gaelic football has become too much an influence" which is implying that you think the game should be played without tactics, which to me is boollox. It also contrdicts what you say above.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

I'm on the phone and dunno if anyone has been taken up on some if the earlier statements regarding lack of skill or not but waved to add my opinion.

I've done a lot of coaching under age in multi sport disciplines, I was involved in a programme that aimed to develop over all athletic ability in children from a young age regardless of which sport they ultimately saw themselves devoting their time to when older. Some sports were considered to have great crossover skills e.g. hand eye coordination, agility, awareness of space, guess what? Gaelic football and hurling are among the sports with the highest potential cross over. This can be seen in the number of current professionals representing ireland in rugby and soccer that have played gaelic games from a young age.

By thr way, the programme (co_dex kids) if you wasn't to check it out was devoted by a welshman who hadn't seen gaelic games before he moved to dublin.

And case you're wondering why I'm writing on my phone (as if you care) I'm just heading up to a high school in cardiff to take gaelic football training for 30 or so lads after school, and they fuppin love it so they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

HA HA some amount of wind up merchants on here. There is as much skill in GAA as there is soccer or Rugby.

Look at 0.30 onwards..No skill involved??

I reckon most men between the ages of 15 and 35 could do that easily enough-kicking a ball 40 yards out of their hands. How many GAA players could do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Football (soccer to culchies) - controlling the ball with your feet not your hands, controlling the ball on your chest, heading the ball, timing your runs so as not to go offside, scoring a freekick over a wall of players, trying not to get you're hairdo messed up, acting like you've been shot in the leg when the ball is taken off you near the box etc.

Rugby - Kicking an oval ball a long distance so that it touches the ground before it goes out, timing your pass to your inside runner, the offload pass from a tackle, the lineout > directing an arrow straight pass between two lines of players, scrumaging, the drop kick etc

You forgot a few major skills of soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

You forgot a few major skills of soccer

Shaking hands before a match?

Oh, no, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I think it's a load of parochial shite

Can you expand on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I've played it too, you're not unique in this situation. Also, you said that "the tactical elelment in Gaelic football has become too much an influence" which is implying that you think the game should be played without tactics, which to me is boollox. It also contrdicts what you say above.

Well in my opinion since the tactical influx of the blanket defence, the game of Gaelic football has deteriorated.

You only have to look at the tripe Donegal served up last year to see my point.

But this is only one tactic which I personally don't like, there are so many others that exist in the game which you for some reason chose not to acknowledge.

So can you still stand by your comment that GAA does not have any tactics? Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

latenia wrote: »
    I reckon most men between the ages of 15 and 35 could do that easily enough-kicking a ball 40 yards out of their hands. How many GAA players could do this?

Not a great example.. after all, how many soccer players could do that either?!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont like it, never have really.

No interest in Hurling or Gaelic Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2ndcoming wrote: »

This guy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I absolutely love it, although Dublin can drive me to tears and to shouting a lot of profanities and breaking my heart you do get moments like last years all Ireland.

Now for 2 in a row, PS watch the Dublin Hurlers this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

cassi wrote: »
    cena wrote: »
    How much of a gaa guy are you. Like are you mad about the sport

What about the girls?? Are we excluded from this conversation! :(
    I'm more surprised you want in on it.

Instead of costly anaesthetics surgeons should just put on a gaa match for the patient, the fcuker would be out cold in seconds.

Abi wrote: »
    I'm more surprised you want in on it.

Instead of costly anaesthetics surgeons should just put on a gaa match for the patient, the fcuker would be out cold in seconds.

If that doesn't work, an F1 race will certainly do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jacknory

Football (soccer to culchies) - controlling the ball with your feet not your hands, controlling the ball on your chest, heading the ball, timing your runs so as not to go offside, scoring a freekick over a wall of players, etc

Rugby - Kicking an oval ball a long distance so that it touches the ground before it goes out, timing your pass to your inside runner, the offload pass from a tackle, the lineout > directing an arrow straight pass between two lines of players, scrumaging, the drop kick etc

Soccer (football to west brits) - getting the right hair style/tattoo/earings (which have to be taped anyway :rolleyes:), controlling the ball with your hand, diving to win frees/penalities, rolling around in agony when an unopened boot lace brushes by your leg........plenty of skills there alright!!!

Rugby - except for the oval ball most of this skillset is practiced in football as well albeit with handpasses/kicks instead of the rugby handpass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

While I have great respect for the skills and fitness required to play Gaelic football or hurling, I don't think it's fair to say that it brings communities together.

It is incredibly insular and cliquey at club level. GAA families predominate where the Dads hang around the club the whole time trying to increase their kid's chances of making the team, and the mothers hang around the whole time gossiping with each other over rumours they've heard about other people's children ("did you hear her young lad's gone down a bad road?"), or other people's husbands ("I heard he lost the lot/I heard he's riding yer wan from the post office") all while making a few sangitches for the lads.

For the massive fundraising power it has, which really has no equal in Ireland, the vast amount (match gates, etc.) goes direct to HQ (if not into the pocket of the cute hoor working the gate first). It rarely in my experience does anything to support non-GAA related local issues, or indeed non-GAA related local sports or amenities.

Sure they'll have a few charity do's a year and pat themselves on the back, but between widespread illegal payments to managers at just about all levels and codes and the amount that goes straight to the big pot at head office, there's a lot more good things that could be done locally with those funds.

That's not to say it does no good, the good it does will probably make a load of people try and tear this post apart, but for me it could certainly do a lot more, and the insular nature of it is it's own worst enemy in the long run.

The bad thing about GAA is it is so big in the country that it is like a religion and you're not allowed say a bad word/speak out about it.

It has it's good points, no-one's denying that, it gives people something to do, and an option to be part of a team.

The bad part is in villages: if your brother, father uncle etc doesn't play GAA you're nearly looked down upon.

I say this because I have quite a bookish brother, and if I go anywhere round the county and say I'm from 'X' village, the first question I usually get asked is 'Oh Do you have a brother that plays for X village?'

No. Am I defined by this like?

GAA families dominate the villages, and if your not into the GAA it's seen as almost shocking.
    Like, GAA lads I know only hang around together, or with lads from college say, that play on a college GAA team with them, they won't hang around with anyone else.

That is how it is insular, it doesn't encourage people who want to do other things to express their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

For all the lovers http://lovegaa.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

In the history of soccer, maybe a couple of hundred. In the history of GAA, zero. I reckon you could take any Premiership or Championship soccer squad, give them a month or two training and they would win the All-Ireland at a canter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I quite enjoy watching GAA, both the football & hurling, Some great games and passion cant beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If that doesn't work, an F1 race will certainly do the trick.
    I can't wait for it to kick off again. Have paddock tickets for Bavaria in June too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Are you serious!? Eh id safely say only a handful of inter county players could score a point like that! That is pure individual skill. I tell ya what go to a Gaa pitch tonight bring a oneills football and try it and let me know how you get on. the example you posted up of Maradona is laughable!!

Abi wrote: »
    I can't wait for it to kick off again. Have paddock tickets for Bavaria in June too.

Don't forget your duvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

In the history of soccer, maybe a couple of hundred. In the history of GAA, zero. I reckon you could take any Premiership or Championship soccer squad, give them a month or two training and they would win the All-Ireland at a canter.

Haha no way would they win it with 2 months training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

But would they do it for no money ???:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement