Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

We have two people starting 1st March - we spent most of the last 18 months tendering for a contract with an Austrian firm and signed the deal in January. At the time of LisbonII our boss was adamant that a Yes vote was fairly critical to our tender, that a No Vote would be a negative mark against us. Possibly not fatal, but any sign that Ireland was moving away from the European project, possibly from the Euro itself would do us damage when we were up against French and Scandanavian rivals for the contract.

So theres two jobs. Fairly measly. But thats the way a lot of jobs get created. No Paypal headlines. No fanfare in the paper. Just a small nothing company on a sidestreet deciding that the time is right to go from 40 staff to 42.

There was never going to be any 'oh you've voted Yes, heres a factory for 50,000 people'. It doesn't mean that 'Yes for Jobs' was wrong.

so can u say 100% that the jobs would have been created if we voted no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

And we've hit rock bottom, much quicker than normal.

But I wish you the best in your continued pursuit of calling people 'sheep'. I'm certain it'll be a great tactic for convincing people of your well reasoned position.

Yes...trolls much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

The NO vote will win this one. Sinn fein will mistakenly take it as an endorsement of themselves and their policies.

I will vote NO but it has nothing to do with the shinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yes...trolls much ;)

Throwing that excuse out at the first sign of trouble is certainly easier then thinking about what you're saying.
    I'll give you that.

dvpower wrote: »
    Rhetorical question?

Have a read back over the posts since you labelled people sheep - maybe you honestly misunderstood what was said.

I called people sheep for voting against what THEY want simply because others are doing it. Another poster accused me of calling people sheep because "they are voting against what I want" (never the case). With respect, there isn't a large scope for misunderstanding there.

• Advertisement

Throwing that excuse out at the first sign of trouble is certainly easier then thinking about what you're saying.
    I'll give you that.

Trolling and pestering...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

twinytwo wrote: »
    so can u say 100% that the jobs would have been created if we voted no?

Nope I can't say 100% for definite if they would or wouldn't have been created after a No Vote. No-one can.

All I can do is give the anecdotal story of my boss saying that a Yes vote was good for our tender, us ultimately getting the contract and creating two jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Like all those jobs thst we were promised the last time we voted yes, LOL.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14101/business/citrix-creates-20-new-jobs-at-irish-operations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This announcement is a +1 for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

is there a boards poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

orangebud wrote: »
    is there a boards poll

there was yesterday,cant find it today.
    found it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056562636

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Crosáidí wrote: »
    This announcement is a +1 for democracy.

its not, unless we vote the way they want

twinytwo wrote: »
    its not, unless we vote the way they want
    It has already been reported that this is a "one shot" referendum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They said that about Lisbon LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' that again!
    Himmm... Should I believe them or not? Himmm... :o

Biggins wrote: »
    O' that again!
    Himmm... Should I believe them or not? Himmm... :o
    Well there's no point having more than one vote on this, because the rest of the EU don't give two f*cks what way we vote. It doesn't need everyone to vote yes to pass. If a country votes yes, then it's adopted by that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

"im pleased to announce to the house...."

bloke cant even tell the truth announcing the referendum !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Dubit10 wrote: »
    I'm afraid it does'nt matter which way we vote, we all know they will keep coming back until they get the answer they want.

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

They said that about Lisbon LOL.
    The big difference this time is that we don't have a veto - they can go ahead regardless.

They might want us to vote Yes, because a Yes vote will be seen as a vote of confidence in the European crisis strategy, but once we register a No, the damage is done even if we change our mind later.
    They may also want us to vote Yes because a No vote increaes the chance of a disordery default, but not many people here would think that a disordery default would be in our interests either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

humanji wrote: »
    Well there's no point having more than one vote on this, because the rest of the EU don't give two f*cks what way we vote. It doesn't need everyone to vote yes to pass. If a country votes yes, then it's adopted by that country.

I would say your party right.
    What makes me say that they care a bit is that if we fail (having said "No") to further survive as we are still in the EU and the Euro tanks here, the knock on effect in a number of ways might be then detrimental to the rest.

• Advertisement

True. It's all a guessing game, I suppose.

Plus I like the idea of being "party right" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

DB10 wrote: »
    Yeh well Yes to Lisbon, really did get us jobs didn't it.....

:rolleyes:

Vote no.
    Sorry but this really winds me up. What did you expect? A yes vote and 450,000 jobs would fall out of the sky the very next day?

the point was that an Ireland as part of a closer knit europe was more investor friendly than a stand alone ireland. More investment leads to job creation, very simple. But obviously it doesn't happen over night, it happens over years. In case you hadn't noticed ireland and the rest of europe is in a bit of a crisis at the minute that is trying to be stablised, and until it is investors are quite rightly keeping their hands in their pockets. until they take their hands out of their pockets there won't be much economic activity happening and no jobs bonanza either.

Those who i keep on hearing go "oh yeah, Vote Yes for Jobs, that really worked out didn't it lol :rolleyes:" are really just displaying very little understanding of how any of this works.

As for voting again and "they'll keep coming back till they get the answer they want", a quick bit of research would show that we have no veto this time round. If we vote No, they'll merely shrug their shoulders and move on without us.... seriously, like they were gonna allow 1% of the population hold up the attempts to stabilise the worlds second largest currency.

This vote might be big news here, but without a veto it means **** all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Voting no, will expect to have to vote no again at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Voting no, will expect to have to vote no again at a later date.
    facepalm

see last paragraph of post directly above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If 12 countries ratify it, it becomes law. So essentially, we can be poor with friends or really poor without friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Isn't the reason we elect ministers in this country to take decisions?

Why do we have elected "representatives" and yet they can't take a decision on our part? So the decision is left to the public, who, not their fault, in the majority are not well enough informed to take the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Isn't the reason we elect ministers in this country to take decisions?

Why do we have elected "representatives" and yet they can't take a decision on our part? So the decision is left to the public, who, not their fault, in the majority are not well enough informed to take the decision.

I think you are forgetting something called the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'll be voting yes. I read the treaty last night and there's nothing that scares me aside from us agreeing to maintain some sense of fiscal sanity (Article 3 does make allowances for exceptional circumstances so there is scope for a stimulus package for example to combat deflation or kickstart a multiplier effect)
    Being locked out of further bailouts is a really bad idea if you're like me and don't want our entire social welfare system incinerated (given that even if we default on our bank debt, we still have an annual €18bn deficit)

What bums me out is how two trains of thoughts seem to be evident
    1) Those who wave their Irish flags, talk about the heroes of 1916 and make xenophobic comments about Germans (usually linking them to the Nazis) Just to clarify, the EU didn't force us to bail out the banks, Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Sinn Féin and the Greens agreed to do this in 2008.
    2) Those who think this is a great chance to stick it to the government. By all means, criticise the current government and all that but for the love of God, vote for referendums on their own merits, not because of what you think of Kenny and Gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

V_Moth wrote: »
    I think you are forgetting something called the Constitution.
    I think his point is that this kind of thing shouldn't require constitutional change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Lockstep wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the EU didn't force us to bail out the banks, Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Sinn Féin and the Greens agreed to do this in 2008.

Are you saying then that the EU won't mind if we now let the capitalist market run its course, like it should, and allow our bankrupt banks to fail?

BTW, the initial disaster that was the bank guarantee was supposed to be for 2 years, why do you think we continue to bail out bankrupt banks? It's hardly for the fun of it. It's because we are being told by the german government to do it.

Advertisement