Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.4 - is it bearable?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    So I'm not much of an expert in terms of VAG engines, but I do know that the 1.4 in a Golf is a gutless, oil drinking engine.

My question is, is it a bearable car? I need to buy something by June, and the Golf 1.4 seems to be the good choice (at least tax and insurance wise).
    Would the 1.6 8v (SR) engine in this be any better? My parents used to own a 1.6 16v Golf IV and it wasn't that bad. Not much of an oil drinker, and brought decent performance along.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Lovely looking and build, but it's fond if a drink. Not to sure what eng reliabilty is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The 1.6 8 valve is a very reliable engine if it's looked after. Has some useful extra go too. If you can get a 16 valve all the better.

Gearboxes can be weak on them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The 1.6 8v engine is more reliable then the 1.4 16v IMO.

But considering almost every major manufacturer makes 1.4/1.6 hatches, why does 'a gutless, oil drinking' car, as you say yourself, seem like a good choice??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 1.4 Golf has a reputation for being "soft" i.e. giving trouble after 100,000 miles for no apparent reason. Plus the gearboxes can give trouble on them as well. The 1.6 16 valve is just a larger version of the 1.4 so suffers from all the same issues. Not many of them around (thankfully). The 1.6 eight valve is much better. Most 1.6 Golfs are 8 valve, only a few between 2002 and 2003 I think (and I could be wrong on those dates, but it was the very last of the Mk4 Golfs that got 16 valves from memory). It only loses 5 bhp to the 16 valve version but is bombproof apart from the gearbox, which I'm told it shares with the 1.4. The 1.6 8V has 100 bhp and the 1.6 16V has 105. The 1.4 has only 75 bhp by comparison.

In the Mk5 there was also a 1.6 FSI, which is unrelated to the 1.6 16V in the Mk4 and is reliable too. This has 115 bhp.

If you want a reliable 1.4 then your options are either the Focus or the Corolla, both are bulletproof, the Corolla is mind-numbingly boring but is well able to move given its engine size (since it has 97 bhp), the Focus is much better in every area that matters bar one - performance - it is dangerously slow and in reality the 1.6 is much better in the power department!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Keep away from 1.4 golf, i.e. besides drinking oil etc.
    I had lots of silly things break in it,
    like the rear seat latch broke,
    glovebox latch broke,
    door sensor for lights broke,
    Coolant Temp Sensor broke...
    And the worst is its really underpowered, its really slow to pull off from dead stop
    Save yourself the hassle and get something else. !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

How about the 1.8 122hp MK1 Volvo S40? That's the same engine that was planted in the Carisma.

I'm really fond of 3 cars at the moment:

1.4 or 1.6 MK4 Golf - The interesting design, lovely interior, and this desirable VW badge.
    1.6 or 1.8 MK1 S40/V40 - Safety, comfort, equipment
    BMW E36 316i Coupe - Well, it's a BMW. 'Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I don't know age or budget you have in mind but...surely there are better options than a 1.4 Golf!!?! Especially given the fact you are aware of some of the drawbacks. Dunno much about them but allegedly 'soft' AND slow....that's a double-whammy of mediocrity for starters.

And it's not like Golfs are cheap!

pburns wrote: »
    I don't know age or budget you have in mind but...surely there are better options than a 1.4 Golf!!?! Especially given the fact you are aware of some of the drawbacks. Dunno much about them but allegedly 'soft' AND slow....that's a double-whammy of mediocrity for starters.

And it's not like Golfs are cheap!

I'm looking at a €1.5k budget for the car. The insurance company I'm dealing with will allow me 1.6 cars at most (1.8 Volvos and 1.9 TDIs as an exception). I'm 18.

I don't want a Fiesta, Polo or anything of this size. I've trouble driving them. I'm more comfortable with larger cars.

Sobanek wrote: »
    How about the 1.8 122hp MK1 Volvo S40? That's the same engine that was planted in the Carisma.

I'm really fond of 3 cars at the moment:

1.4 or 1.6 MK4 Golf - The interesting design, lovely interior, and this desirable VW badge.

Urm...you should really drive more cars.
    A mk4 golf had vaguely interesting headlights and blue lit dials when it came out...aside from that was as dull as cars come, especially in basic paddy spec and was pretty widely renowned as the low point in the golfs history.

Surely we're getting past buying a rubbish car because it has a desirable badge.

The MK1 focus of the same era was a vastly better car in every way.

Come on man...educate yourself.

Urm...you should really drive more cars.
    A mk4 golf had vaguely interesting headlights and blue lit dials when it came out...aside from that was as dull as cars come, especially in basic paddy spec and was pretty widely renowned as the low point in the golfs history.

Surely we're getting past buying a rubbish car because it has a desirable badge.

The MK1 focus of the same era was a vastly better car in every way.

Come on man...educate yourself.

I actually found the Focus to be boring. I like the MK4s design. I think it may just be personal preference.

And I like the BMW! :p

• Advertisement

I actually found the Focus to be boring. I like the MK4s design. I think it may just be personal preference.

And I like the BMW! :p

That's a fairly unique view....but, fair enough.:)

And liking the BMW is fine of course, I like the E36 too, especially with the M kit. But saying 'well, its a BMW' about the boggo, underpowered, buyforbadgeonly, 316 just shows how good BMW marketing is :)

Here was I thinking it was a motoring forum :confused:

:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

18 y.o. with a €1500 budget?

Forget about 1.4/1.6 class cars. Tax/insurance will eat up most of the value of your car every year.

Get a 1.0 or 1.1 car.

18 y.o. with a €1500 budget?

Forget about 1.4/1.6 class cars. Tax/insurance will eat up most of the value of your car every year.

Get a 1.0 or 1.1 car.

Like I said, I checked with the insurance company and I'm fine with anything up to 1.6.... (or a 1.8 volvo / 1.9 tdi seat, audi, vw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I got my 1.6 mark 4 a little while back in great mechanical condition for 1300e.

paint was a little scratched from (i assume) cats walking across the roof and bonnet, which was good haggle ammo. its a great waggon, very little trouble, good power.
    gearbox ain't great.

but you are a young guy, insurance its going to kill no matter what and statistics say you'll hit it off something within 18 months of starting to drive. so you should give serious thought to getting a small car for your first year or two and later put the two years worth of insurance savings towards your second car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

On a budget of €1.5k and you want something reasonably big, how about a Alfa Romeo 156 with either 1.6/1.8 engine? So much better in every single way than a 1.4 Golf..

Like I said, I checked with the insurance company and I'm fine with anything up to 1.6.... (or a 1.8 volvo / 1.9 tdi seat, audi, vw)

When they say your fine with anything up to 1.6.....have you actually got quotes?

Are you male or female?

Insurance for most 18 year old males on a 1.0/1.2 is normally 3-4k on their own policy for the first year so I'd do some more research if I were you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great, but consider the figures. Tax alone on the biggest engine you've mentioned is €626. How much is your insurance likely be?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Buy a Golf with a good nct and you'll be fine. i drove 24,000 miles in a 1.4 with heavy 18" wheels, i don't drive like a spas so the "underpowered" thing never came into play, unless i was trying to overtake a tractor with a car coming towards me. it's very driveable.

The other great thing is that everything on the Golfs are cheap and easy fix (bar emissions). Make sure the belt is done with the water pump, as they're prone to snap at their interval.

You can pretty much google anything to do with a Golf, and fix anything yourself with a handy size toolbox. Servicing them is a easy as pie too.

Everyone on here underrates them, but the engines in the 1.4 Corollas of that era burn oil too, any other 1.4 Skoda or Vw is the same thing and the Fiats and Renaults of that era (Megane and Bravo) are pretty worthless.

Go for it.

When they say your fine with anything up to 1.6.....have you actually got quotes?

Are you male or female?

Insurance for most 18 year old males on a 1.0/1.2 is normally 3-4k on their own policy for the first year so I'd do some more research if I were you.

1680e tpft for a 1.6 Golf
    1740e tpft for a 1.8 volvo s40
    1885e tpft for a 1.9 tdi passat

so yes, I've done my research.

• Advertisement

1680e tpft for a 1.6 Golf
    1740e tpft for a 1.8 volvo s40
    1885e tpft for a 1.9 tdi passat

so yes, I've done my research.

Male/18/full licence or provisional licence?

Either way, if they are your own policies in your own name they are the cheapest I've ever seen!

Male/18/full licence or provisional licence?

Either way, if they are your own policies in your own name they are the cheapest I've ever seen!

Male, 18, Full Licence, 20% family&friends discount included.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Op, you said 1.8 Volvo is exeption?

Can you check about pug 406 1.8? When I was getting my first insurance in Ireland 1.8 406 was cheaper to insure then 1.4 golf or civic.

406 is a lovely lovely car. Reliable as tank. Very good mpg too. Check up insurance on these m8. Way better alternative to 1.4 golf!

Op, you said 1.8 Volvo is exeption?

Can you check about pug 406 1.8? When I was getting my first insurance in Ireland 1.8 406 was cheaper to insure then 1.4 golf or civic.

406 is a lovely lovely car. Reliable as tank. Very good mpg too. Check up insurance on these m8. Way better alternative to 1.4 golf!

But a 406 doesn't have a VW badge, what use could it possibly be as a car?:P

So €1500 for a car and then up to €2500 p.a. for tax and insurance?

Something somewhere is way wrong imho.

Why? Would €600 for a car and €2000 p.a. for tax insurance sound more reasonable? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 splash221

Only buy these vehicles when they are fresh ones a year or two. The old ones will break your heart and I should know sold lots of them.

Not unusual for young folk to pay more for insurance per annum than the value of the car :) May or may not be wrong but unless you're spending thousands on your first car as a teenager it's hard to avoid.

Why? Would €600 for a car and €2000 p.a. for tax insurance sound more reasonable? ...

Of course not.

Surely the idea should be to minimise the fixed costs, thereby freeing money up to buy a better (smaller) car?

Just my 2c. worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...My question is, is it a bearable car?...

Define bearable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement