Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

The difference in media coverage for Minister Quinn's illegal actions and TD Ó Snodaigh's legal use of ink for his constituency is an interesting aspect of this issue.

Indeed it's the only interesting aspect really, since otherwise this story amounts to "politician uses lots of ink".

+1

More censorship by RTE

Dobbo slipped in a question about the issue to Padraig Mac Lochlainn when he was in studio, but when Lucinda Creighton was in studio on the same day she appointed a kids tv presenter to an overpaid advisor's role, Dobbo didn't go off-topic to quiz her on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

The difference in media coverage for Minister Quinn's illegal actions and TD Ó Snodaigh's legal use of ink for his constituency is an interesting aspect of this issue.

Indeed it's the only interesting aspect really, since otherwise this story amounts to "politician uses lots of ink".

I would completely disagree. The main broadsheets and tabloids rip into the government most days and try to scare the hell out of anyone reading. This is usually the case for most governments. Look at the Sindo any week and it will slam the government for everything.

If you had not pre-empted the findings and decided that Quinn comitted an illegal act whilst O Sondaigh did not, I would listen more. Both cases should be explained fully.

But it sounds like you are defending the SF party and have made up your mind so won't debate more ;)

yourpics wrote: »
    +1

More censorship by RTE

Dobbo slipped in a question about the issue to Padraig Mac Lochlainn when he was in studio, but when Lucinda Creighton was in studio on the same day she appointed a kids tv presenter to an overpaid avisor's role, Dobbo didn't go off-topic to quiz her on this issue.

http://thestory.ie/2012/02/22/ruairi-quinn-and-his-mileage-claim/

This mentions RTE and Newstalk discussing the issue with Quinn. It has also got your two links you posted earlier, now this thread, I am sure if we look more, we can find more media coverage, so what exactly is your concern here?

http://thestory.ie/2012/02/22/ruairi-quinn-and-his-mileage-claim/

This mentions RTE and Newstalk discussing the issue with Quinn. It has also got your two links you posted earlier, now this thread, I am sure if we look more, we can find more media coverage, so what exactly is your concern here?

My concern is that there is less coverage given to the coalition than the opposition when a controversy arises.
    I was referring to coverage on Six One

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Has it been proven Quinn did anything illegal? I would be careful - defamation and all that.

Certainly Quinn has to explain himself - and if he cannot prove his mileage claim should return the money but I do recall seeing the story all over the papers and heard it reported on both Morning Ireland and Drivetime - I rarely see RTE TV news so can't comment on that.
    Perhaps if people want to discuss a bias in RTE they should open a thread on that.

This thread is about a member of a political party that claims to be the voice of the working people and above all of that snout in the trough behaviour of the other parties being caught helping himself to 50ks worth of stuff because he was 'entitled' to it.

• Advertisement

My concern is that there is less coverage given to the coalition than the opposition when a controversy arises.
    I was referring to coverage on Six One

Well you would need to back that up with some stats I am afraid. And only concentrating on Six One news is kind of silly as they only have certain amount of time to cover daily news, so this Snodaigh issue has come up today and it is a huge figure.

We have multiple newspapers, RTE and other broadcasters commenting and querying this but that won't do, you want Six One to cover the Quinn mileage issue today even though it was reported last week by them???? :confused:

Well, they should learn how to propaganda properly, it does not help your case when they actually investigate what you say they are ignoring. If they want tips about great modern in-your-face political propaganda, they should buy An Poblacht and get some tips.

Well you would need to back that up with some stats I am afraid. And only concentrating on Six One news is kind of silly as they only have certain amount of time to cover daily news, so this has come up today and it is a huge figure.

We have multiple newspapers, RTE and other broadcasters commenting and querying this but that won't do, you want Six One to cover it today even though it was reported last week by them???? :confused:

Well, they should learn how to propaganda properly, it does not help your case when they actually investigate what you say they are ignoring. If they want tips about great modern in-your-face political propaganda, they should buy An Poblacht and get some tips.

I have written to RTE about this and I am awaiting their response. I do not want Six One to cover it again today, I would merely like to see some fairness as I am sick of LAB and their lies and deceit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Snodaighs arrogant sense of self entitlement , looks very Callelyesque.

SF are stepping in the very dangerous footsteps of Fianna Fail.

The funny thing is that Michael Martin is the first to condemn it. Himself a taker of developer donations.

The sooner this FF style of " that's mine , I'm taking it " is gone the better.

Snodaigh you are finished , get your coat .

I have written to RTE about this and I am awaiting their response. I do not want Six One to cover it again today, I would merely like to see some fairness as I am sick of LAB and their lies and deceit.

Like you I was a LP supporter. I first voted for them in 1982 and have given them my first pref in every GE since then. Hell will freeze before I do so again. However, no matter how justified your anger is towards LP I do think you are in danger of derailing this thread.

The fact that members of LP, FF, FG may be up to dodgy do-ings does not justify SF doing likewise. Indeed, the fact that SF are the first to grab the pitchforks and be seen to storm the castles of privilege makes it all the more important that we discuss their own sense of privileged entitlement.

Please show us your letter :p

"Dear RTE, I am very annoyed you covered the Quinn mileage story. Although you, a public broadcaster, and many private broadcasters and publishers investigated and wrote about this story, all is not well. SF are doing really well in the polls and with this, our huge expense claims, giving a huge amount of our salaries to SF and not back to taxpayer, our links with dodgy developers and now this Snodaigh story, we really need you to put the Quinn story back on the air. Now , you may not be as good as the old SF with propaganda, so please find enclosed our newspaper, harping on about the same old sh**e forever and hijacking everything to do with republicanism

Sincerely,
    Little Girl"

Is that it?:P

[MOD]Don't make a habit of insulting other posters, please.[/MOD]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In fairness I was actually a LAB supporter in the last election, even canvassed for them, but now I am a disillusioned LAB supporter, hence my Quinn rant.

My point about glossy printing etc is that this might explain Ó Snodaigh's penchant for ink!

If you're printing any amount of glossy stuff, go to a professional printers and you'll get it done for a fraction of the price of what you'll print it out at home at. Sure vista print and snapfish are dirt cheap.
    Where I work we have 5 A0 printers at least 2 are constantly going. we print out tens of thousands of A0 drawings a year and our ink costs are less than this guys.
    I think there's a scam in here, I don't buy that he can be this stupid.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Like you I was a LP supporter. I first voted for them in 1982 and have given them my first pref in every GE since then. Hell will freeze before I do so again. However, no matter how justified your anger is towards LP I do think you are in danger of derailing this thread.

The fact that members of LP, FF, FG may be up to dodgy do-ings does not justify SF doing likewise. Indeed, the fact that SF are the first to grab the pitchforks and be seen to storm the castles of privilege makes it all the more important that we discuss their own sense of privileged entitlement.

Good post.

50K of ink and approx 3,000,000 pages suggests that it must have been used outside his constituency also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

REMINDER - this thread is NOT about RTE's (or any other media outlet's) coverage of different political parties. It is about TD expenses. Please feel free to start a thread on political media coverage, but in the meantime, let's stay on topic, because this thread is veering into whataboutary territory and that usually ends badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

stoneill wrote: »
    €126 per ink cartridge?

Were they made by Fabergé ?

It's a bit like all the phone bills that TDs can claim for - without going into the details, the dogs on the streets know that it's possible to pay very little for your mobile/landline and UK & National calls but our TDs seem able to spend vast amounts. Another major scandal which needs serious examination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

mary lou has just come out and said he did not realise the value of ink cartridges, that's her defence, pathetic.

SF out of touch with the common man, they don't know value of ink cartridges:D

Reports are usually sent out quarterly I think. Saying they dont know value is Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's a bit like all the phone bills that TDs can claim for - without going into the details, the dogs on the streets know that it's possible to pay very little for your mobile/landline and UK & National calls but our TDs seem able to spend vast amounts. Another major scandal which needs serious examination.

Indeed, the crazy money spent on some of what these guys use is just that, crazy, when far better deals can be gotten for very little effort.
    Having said that, I would like to get the details about what types of "Ink" or more likely "toner" that he was getting.
    Toner can cost that much per toner and there can be up to four toners in a colour laserjet printer.
    What makes me think they are toners is the stated print capacity that the reporter mentioned (7500 pages) which you wont get close to with an inkjet. So the figure of €126 per toner isnt exactly off the mark.
    Again, I'd like to see the details and I would also like to see what he printed that covered roughly 3.5 million pages.

I do agree that this needs to be investigated however I have no faith in this happening in a fair and transparent manner, that, if a legal breach has occurred, it isn't just swept under the carpet as in the case of many that have gone before him in similar situations.

kippy wrote: »
    Indeed, the crazy money spent on some of what these guys use is just that, crazy, when far better deals can be gotten for very little effort.
    Having said that, I would like to get the details about what types of "Ink" or more likely "toner" that he was getting.
    Toner can cost that much per toner and there can be up to four toners in a colour laserjet printer.
    What makes me think they are toners is the stated print capacity that the reporter mentioned (7500 pages) which you wont get close to with an inkjet. So the figure of €126 per toner isnt exactly off the mark.
    Again, I'd like to see the details and I would also like to see what he printed that covered roughly 3.5 million pages.

I do agree that this needs to be investigated however I have no faith in this happening in a fair and transparent manner, that, if a legal breach has occurred, it isn't just swept under the carpet as in the case of many that have gone before him in similar situations.

I'd also like to know where he got the paper. After all, if the ink can be described as a legitimate expense surely the paper is as well.
    How many reams would he need?
    How much, ball park, would that cost?
    How the hell did he carry it?

I can't get the image of his poking around the stationary cupboard filling up his placcy shopping bag everyday on his way out. It's such a grubby picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

AO'S, as with those who went before him is attempting to brazen this out!! It is an outrageous amount and it is inconceivable that he used these 'toner' cartridges to inform his constituents of National/personal issues or, indeed, local ones as he asserted!!

There are a number of things he might have done......and I am only surmising here but:-

Could he have passed them to local Cllr's for use?- they have their own administration allowances!! And didn't we have all this with the pre-paid envelopes and Cllr's?? It's not allowed!!- Fail!!

Did he give them to SF HQ?- They also have access to their own funding and act in the Party's interest, not the National interest- Fail!!

Did he use them for electioneering ?- Against the rules - Fail!!

It is interesting to note that in 2009 he was required to keep to a quota and since that he has run up a bill of some 3K....so he obviously was not stockpiling!!

The cartridges were appropriated in 2007, GE2007, I can see, but not condone, but what the Hell was he doing with them in 2008!! I lived in his constituency and I got 0 letters generated on a printer from him in those years, I was watching closely what came in the door. And, I was in the middle of a Local Authority Housing Estate.....his target audience. I do however, recall an enormous amount of high quality professionally printed, sometimes glossy, material in the run up to the GE but it wasn't generated on any printer...20 odd years an administrator, I know it when I see it!!;)

Something truly stinks here and I forsee SF cutting him out like a cancer if something else doesn't take him off the Front Page!! They have a history of being quite ruthless in such matters and I suspect it is only the Quinn/Callely/FF back history and the fact that there were no formal controls in place during that period that are making them attempt this at all! But I am guessing Mary Lou said more than hello to him today!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'd also like to know where he got the paper. After all, if the ink can be described as a legitimate expense surely the paper is as well.

I can't get the image of his poking around the stationary cupboard filling up his placcy shopping bag everyday on his way out. It's such a grubby picture.

Paper sourced from LH Stores, paid for by us...just like the toners!! That is if he did all that printing!! He must have filled the boot of the car every day he was in!!

I am allowing for cheapest possible available online(with a reductions for bulk buying), obviously there may be cheaper available elsewhere.
    €2 per 500 A4 sheets (http://www.huntoffice.ie/multifunctional-paper.html?797_1=)
    3.5 million pages were the numbers bandied around earlier (not sure if that accurate, I will assume so)
    3.5 million/500 = 7000 packs of paper
    7000*2 = €14,000 worth of paper
    That is of course based on a number of variables and assumptions and may not be entirely correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Paper sourced from LH Stores, paid for by us...just like the toners!! That is if he did all that printing!! He must have filled the boot of the car every day he was in!!

Was he supplying all the party offices or what ?
    That amount of paper would clear out a small forest.

kippy wrote: »
    I am allowing for cheapest possible available online(with a reductions for bulk buying), obviously there may be cheaper available elsewhere.
    €2 per 500 A4 sheets (http://www.huntoffice.ie/multifunctional-paper.html?797_1=)
    3.5 million pages were the numbers bandied around earlier (not sure if that accurate, I will assume so)
    3.5 million/500 = 7000 packs of paper
    7000*2 = €14,000 worth of paper
    That is of course based on a number of variables and assumptions and may not be entirely correct.

So 50k worth of ink plus at least 14k for paper = 64k

I imagine all of these twice weekly leaflets he claimed he sent out on RTE News just now required envelopes...
    and postage....

So 50k worth of ink plus at least 14k for paper = 64k

I imagine all of these twice weekly leaflets he claimed he sent out on RTE News just now required envelopes...
    and postage....
    Assuming each A4 page is one "leaflet" and the cost of a stamp (not sure how it works for bulk posting but I assume it isnt that much cheaper) is roughly 50 cent.....
    about 1.7 million on stamps!!!!
    Assuming ten A4 pages is one "leaflet" and the cost of a stamp (not sure how it works for bulk posting but I assume it isnt that much cheaper) is roughly 50 cent.....
    about 170,000 in stamps

You can see where the logic goes.....
    He could of course have had them distributed by party activists.

He really has to account for what exactly what he did or the lie just keeps getting worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I don't think there's a lot of ado about nothing. The Journal has a good explainer.

He took €55,000 of printer cartridges in 2 years printing leaflets for his constituency. The Oireachtas has since brought in a €2,000 limit for members following this.

It's one example of how politicians take the mickey when it comes to spending public money. They have to represent themselves, but €55,000 in 2 years is a lot of representing.

There is no evidence yet what, where and by whom these cartridges were used.

I have my suspicions.............and none of it is legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

It's a complete joke the amount of wastage going on and SF have proven themselves to be just as good as the rest for wasting tax payers money.

The part I find even worse however is that he still owes us the taxpayer money since the spending limit was brought in - is interest being charged on this loan as that is what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Must be the poster boy for Sin Fein :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

raymon wrote: »
    Snodaighs arrogant sense of self entitlement , looks very Callelyesque.

SF are stepping in the very dangerous footsteps of Fianna Fail.

The funny thing is that Michael Martin is the first to condemn it. Himself a taker of developer donations.

The sooner this FF style of " that's mine , I'm taking it " is gone the better.

Snodaigh you are finished , get your coat .

he is if this means he cant depend on your continued support giving your previous loyal support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

he is if this means he cant depend on your continued support giving your previous loyal support.

:D never voted for FF or SF in my life .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Irish Daily Mail are running another front-line story on this tomorrow, claiming that other SF TD's were at the same sort of game as O'Snodaigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

This is bizarre, €50,000 euro on printer ink? At €130 per cartridge? How does ink cost that much (inkjet or laser?), and how much material must he have printed to use that.

Very questionable IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement