Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Coupon Chat Only]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I emailed supervalu and they said they had no problem with people printing out the vouchers as they were available on the pdf version of the magazine. As long as you were buying the right problem they had no issue with it.

@ Snubble : You really have chip on your shoulder dont you. People using coupons with offers are doing NOTHING WRONG. Tesco's do not have a coupon policy so all you are doing is speculating. Anyway as was said before companies are not stupid. So give it a rest please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Palane

Yes. I had this problem in Tesco Mahon Point. Specifically they said they weren't accepting pigsback coupons but I have used them in other Cork tescos since.

I used the in Tescos Mahon on Wednesday night! I used alot of different coupons and no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

If there is an issue with using any coupon in a store ask to see where this store policy is displayed.

By right if Tesco no longer wish to accept coupons in their stores be they legitimate copies or otherwise it should be made clearly available to view in store so as to allow consumers to make an informed decision so as to avoid confusion and embarrassment at the till.

Getting fed up now with all of this speculation regarding coupons acceptance and misuse.

If you face problems using coupons, ask to speak with the Manager and ask to see their store policy regarding coupons, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

It was the girl on the till initially said no, a supervisor/manager happened to be passing so I asked her what was wrong with the voucher and she said they just weren't taking printed vouchers anymore because and I quote "it's not worth our while"

I thought this a bit off because as another poster has said tesco are refunded by the manufacturers for the coupons anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

This is going to sound really cryptic, unfortunately I'm not in a position to say any more as it wasn't an official stance, but I was speaking with someone from office level management one of the national symbol groups earlier who knows me & that I coupon a lot.

He told me in the last four months they've been done out of over €50k stock value (over €65k cash value) from coupon abuse & as a result they're evaluating wether or not to accept coupons any more.

I think that there should be a code of practice that we adhere to as otherwise it's just going to stop before it gets started. The likes of buying cases of product is outright abuse & harms the system for the rest of us. Two or three at a go, sure no problem, but if you're getting cases of product for free or near free, then you're either selling it on or abusing the system & neither are acceptable in my opinion.

• Advertisement

It was the girl on the till initially said no, a supervisor/manager happened to be passing so I asked her what was wrong with the voucher and she said they just weren't taking printed vouchers anymore because and I quote "it's not worth our while"

I thought this a bit off because as another poster has said tesco are refunded by the manufacturers for the coupons anyway

I think you should name the store (& the manager if possible) & a complaint lodged with head office. They could get five or six thousand €1 coupons a week across their store, are they seriously saying it's not worth their while accepting essentially a cheque for €5,000/€6,000 ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Without coupons a lot of the 'branded goods" are just not worth it and custom will transfer to the likes of Aldi/Lidl brands which in my humble opinion are better than the Tesco/Dunnes own brands and on par with many "branded" goods. I'm generalising with that comment.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

gremha wrote: »
    This is going to sound really cryptic, unfortunately I'm not in a position to say any more as it wasn't an official stance, but I was speaking with someone from office level management one of the national symbol groups earlier who knows me & that I coupon a lot.

Unless your willing to name names then its not relevant, its just hearsay.

To be honest 50k sounds very far fetched to me, like they were just trying to put you off because they know you coupon.

I think that there should be a code of practice that we adhere to as otherwise it's just going to stop before it gets started. The likes of buying cases of product is outright abuse & harms the system for the rest of us. Two or three at a go, sure no problem, but if you're getting cases of product for free or near free, then you're either selling it on or abusing the system & neither are acceptable in my opinion.

There is no code of practise. I don't agree with it either but that doesn't mean people have to stop it

If a coupon says one per item then the consumer is entitled buy 50 if they hand over 50 coupons. 1 person buying 50 is the same as 10 people buying 5.
    One person might buy a whole box of woolite in one weekend. I buy one or 2 every weekend. we still wind up with the same amount. If you have the right coupon it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

BluesBerry wrote: »
    In what way are they being mis-used?

Using the Comfort coupon to get Unilever to pay 26c towards the rest of your shopping is an abuse of the coupon.

One poster in the "Current Pigsback Vouchers" thread claims to have got 5 boxes and says if you want to buy a 100 buy a 100.

• Advertisement

are they seriously saying it's not worth their while accepting essentially a cheque for €5,000/€6,000 ??

It's not a cheque it's a large bundle of paper that is worth nothing until the Manufacturers redeem them.

The manufacturers clearly state that they reserve the right not to redeem them if they have reason to believe they were not accepted according to their terms.

The vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash so for the shops to give 26c change on each comfort coupon is clearly a breach of the terms of the coupon.

I would imagine that very high increases in the sales of Comfort Ironing water would be easily picked up by Unilever.

As Irishchick says
    Irishchick wrote: »
    companies are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

I totally agree that companies are not stupid. Neither Unilever or Tesco are giving away money for nothing. It is up to them to implement procedures and training to ensure that abuse does not occur or is kept to a minimum.

The reason the large brands issue coupons is to encourage people to use their brand, and the reason supermarkets accept them is because it will increase footfall and encourage incremental sales.

I'm fairly new to couponing, and initially it was just because it was another (quite fun) way of saving money, but if i was to study my shopping behaviour and how it has changed, there is no doubt more of my Euros have ended up in Tesco's tills, rather than Lidl and Aldi.

I would also be very sure that Comfort fabric conditioner does exactly what it says on the tin. I love it now. (Not convinced i'd pay full price, but who knows when i win the lotto)

I should also add that my shopping bill has reduced by at least 40%, due to adopting some other clever shopping strategies aswell as couponing.

So for me, its been a win win win scenario.

On a forum like this, we should of course promote a reasonable approach to couponing, but if people want to try and scam the system then so be it.

The more coupons are used, then the better the procedures should get in store. The scammers will get caught out. IP addresses can be barred from some coupon companies, people can get barred from shopping in supermarkets. It happens in the UK.

Large companies will still look for ways to get people to shop with them.

Issuing and accepting coupons works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

@ Snubble : You really have chip on your shoulder dont you. People using coupons with offers are doing NOTHING WRONG. Tesco's do not have a coupon policy so all you are doing is speculating. Anyway as was said before companies are not stupid. So give it a rest please.

I'm really playing devil's advocate here. How about you write to Unilever and ask them if it is correct and proper manner to use a coupon with a reduced price Persil - enclose a legible pigsback coupon and let us know what they say.
    Have been using coupons for nigh on a decade now and have not encountered problems until the past eight months.
    I did not say that Tesco have a coupon policy but it would'nt surprise me if one came along soon. A number of posters have stated that they have had coupons refused because the item was on offer (off the top of my head) in Centra, dunnes & tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Coupons have been around for many years as have people using them
    Supermarkets have been ripping people off for years and because we use a few coupons some in this thread are treating us like criminals if the coupons are there I will use them to get a good deal there is a lot of people in my house and the money needs to stretch further
    If I get a few bottles of comfort water I wont lose any sleep over it unlike all the self righteous finger pointers here

The 26c credit on the vouchers its up to tesco to write on the vouchers the exact price on the vouchers mark of the 1 euro off and put 76c in place on the voucher they haven't bothered on the comfort ones They have on other vouchers (mama de casa ones) where the value was 3.99 and they wrote 2.50 instead when we got the free pizzas

Please stop claiming we are abusing the system it is turning this thread very unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭you2008

hi, anyone know Conpon for KFC?

you2008 wrote: »
    hi, anyone know Conpon for KFC?

Never heard of him.

mrswalton wrote: »
    Never heard of him.

Sure you have, he plays for Real Madrid.

With due respect you asked a question.
    In what way are they being mis-used?

To which I gave an answer.
    brian_t wrote: »
    Using the Comfort coupon to get Unilever to pay 26c towards the rest of your shopping is an abuse of the coupon.

To the best of my knowledge you have NEVER posted indicating that you use the Comfort coupon for Ironing water and therefore I wasn't suggesting that you personally did.
    But if you do then you are abusing that coupon.
    Please stop claiming we are abusing the system it is turning this thread very unpleasant

This thread is for all coupon chat. On Boards.ie you have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

snubbleste wrote: »
    Technically the cashier is correct. It's just they don't always enforce that rule. :cool:
    Were you the guy who was using photocopied pigsback coupons btw?

No. Technically the cashier was wrong. Completely. Tesco have no Policy on Coupons at all, and therefor no grounds to refuse my coupon for a product they are selling. And if you research the phrase "Cannot be used with any other offer" online you will find that 99% of the time it means you cannot use multiple coupons for 1 item. Also I have been told by a handful of Tesco employees that they take competitors coupons, and then at the till told they do not. This kind of crap is the companies fault, not the consumer. Its completely insane that I can go into one Tesco, do my shopping, use my coupons and leave happy. Then the next day go again and be refused to do the same again just because I got a bitchy cashier or Manager. Get a freaking policy in place so it is less confusing for everyone.

And yes, I was the woman using the Pigsback coupons, but I was not photo copying them as you said, I went to pigs back and when printing I printed several rather than reloading the page and printing again. I did not know at the time that you needed to reload and then print over and over again. And what does this have to do with Tesco not taking the coupon? I'm confused what one has to do with the other.

(This part not directed at Snubbleste)

Another thing is I have no idea why people get so uppity about coupons. The bigger of a trend couponing seems to be getting the more rude people we have here on the forums. If you don't like that people coupon... Don't read a coupon forum! Couponing is new to Ireland and people are just trying to get the hang of it.... Be patient and try not to be such a douche. If America can figure out couponing and policies then Ireland should be able to too. Irelands economy is in the crapper and still people are too proud to want to save themselves money... Not me, if I see an opportunity to save my family money I am going to jump on it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of being jumped on every time I post here, especially when my intentions are to warn others that might be trying to used the same coupons as me.

Ribena coupon It must not be used for any other product or in conjunction with any other promotional discount or coupon on Ribena. Limited to one coupon per purchase. Coupons cannot be redeemed for cash or in conjunction with any other offer.
    Persil coupon It must not be used for any other product or promotion. Limited to one coupon per purchase. Coupons cannot be redeemed for cash or in conjunction with any other offer.

It does not matter whether Tesco have a policy in this instance, what matters is what the coupon says. There is a reason those lines are printed on coupons.

In relation to photocopying pigsback coupons, Tesco customer service stated to me that they had had a problem with photocopied coupons. I assume that when they go back to pigsback for redemption, it is noticed as each one is unique. Pigsback contact stores to remind them and this is then passed on in this instance to customer service and cashiers.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

Ribena coupon It must not be used for any other product or in conjunction with any other promotional discount or coupon on Ribena. Limited to one coupon per purchase. Coupons cannot be redeemed for cash or in conjunction with any other offer.
    Persil coupon It must not be used for any other product or promotion. Limited to one coupon per purchase. Coupons cannot be redeemed for cash or in conjunction with any other offer.

It does not matter whether Tesco have a policy in this instance, what matters is what the coupon says. There is a reason those lines are printed on coupons.

In relation to photocopying pigsback coupons, Tesco customer service stated to me that they had had a problem with photocopied coupons. I assume that when they go back to pigsback for redemption, it is noticed as each one is unique. Pigsback contact stores to remind them and this is then passed on in this instance to customer service and cashiers.

None of the coupons that I tried to use said anything about one coupon per purchase. If they had honestly you could just go through the till several times making several different transactions and it would be within their guidelines.

Unless your willing to name names then its not relevant, its just hearsay.

To be honest 50k sounds very far fetched to me, like they were just trying to put you off because they know you coupon.

In defence of my friend, I'm not prepared to name the company, but I will say that this is not a case of just picking a figure from "under the tree". They're a very large retail group that under their various marquees (not just the division he works in), control nearly 40% of the Irish retail market. If they decide they're no longer accepting coupons they'll lose a little custom, but not a whole amount. & it's not far fetched when you consider the volume of business they do.
    There is no code of practise. I don't agree with it either but that doesn't mean people have to stop it

If a coupon says one per item then the consumer is entitled buy 50 if they hand over 50 coupons. 1 person buying 50 is the same as 10 people buying 5.
    One person might buy a whole box of woolite in one weekend. I buy one or 2 every weekend. we still wind up with the same amount. If you have the right coupon it makes no difference.

"1 person buying 50 is the same as 10 people buying 5" Absolutely untrue. Lets take two scenarios so we can be sure you understand the process.

Scenario 1
    Company X issues a coupon for product X. 10 people avail of the offer & buy five units each. Over the two months or so it take them to use it, most of them realise that they really like product X & wish to continue purchasing it. So company X goes on to sell several more units of the product to a new range of customers.

Scenario 2
    One person buys 50 units. They use them over twenty months & then maybe buy the product again (not likely as if they've done this, they're the type of person to just move onto the next offer).

The net result is in scenario 1, the company has probably introduced their product to a number of new customers, built a relationship & had a chance of keeping them as future customers.

The net result of scenario 2 is the company has effectively paid one person to stockpile their product, depriving nine other customers of the opportunity to try it & ensuring no future sales from that one customer for the foreseeable future.

There's taking advantage & "taking advantage".
    brian_t wrote: »

One poster in the "Current Pigsback Vouchers" thread claims to have got 5 boxes and says if you want to buy a 100 buy a 100.

This is absolutely true. It's not "Extreme couponing", it's deception. Who needs five boxes (I'm guessing a dozen units per case) of ironing water ? They must be selling it on.

None of the coupons that I tried to use said anything about one coupon per purchase. If they had honestly you could just go through the till several times making several different transactions and it would be within their guidelines.

One coupon per purchase = if you have two coupons & two items in one transaction, all is good.
    One coupon per transaction = if you have two coupons & two items, you must have two separate transactions.

One coupon per purchase = if you have two coupons & two items in one transaction, all is good.

Yes that would certainly be my understanding of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

Personally I would love to see a coupon policy from any of the supermarkets. Also would be interested to know what sort of training checkout operaters get in relation to coupons.

Interesting article - thanks for posting.

I'm interested to know though, this is the list for the most popular sources for coupons as listed in the article.

1. Leaflets/fliers
    2. In-Store
    3. Group deal emails
    4. Newspapers
    5. Magazines
    6. Search online coupons
    7. Coupon websites
    8. Social Networks

I would nearly reverse that list, am i missing out on 1 - 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I am really sorry to write this but this place went from "Couponing" forum to "Lecture the couponer" forum. I find it unuseful and unfriendly and wish a Mod would at least take a stance against personal "abuse" in form of accuses and sarcasm.
    I personally had enough and find less and less reason to contribute and I am quite sure I am not the only one :/

I am really sorry to write this but this place went from "Couponing" forum to "Lecture the couponer" forum. I find it unuseful and unfriendly and wish a Mod would at least take a stance against personal "abuse" in form of accuses and sarcasm.
    I personally had enough and find less and less reason to contribute and I am quite sure I am not the only one :/

If you follow the threads on this forum there seem to be an increasing number of posts suggesting that some shops are starting to not accept coupons or attempting to discourage them - ones printed on home computers anyway.

Does this not bother you.

Are you not concerned that your ability to use coupons may be affected by others mis-use of them.

What is your opinion on the use of the Comfort coupon to buy lots of Ironing water and to get 26c (per coupon used) off the rest of your bill.

As the originator of the Couponing thread I would be interested in you opinion on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If there's one pain in the ar5e in this forum it has to be the whole "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer", that topic is unanswerable until stores publish their coupon policies.
    There are plenty of topics that are banned on specific forums.
    I suggest that topic is banned here to clear out threads to be more centric and productive.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have to say i agree with Tirabaralla and slave1...

This is just turning into a bit of a scrap lately.

I am sick to the teeth of hearing the lectures about ""cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer"... its getting to be a joke now.

Advertisement