Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No no no. Even when the classic episodes weren't funny they were still enjoyable to watch. All the little subtleties and nuances were addictive viewing. Now it's pure pain watching the Simpsons. The reason it's crap now is nothing to do with running out of ideas. The writers now are just thick. They think what makes homer funny is simply being an idiot for example.

But what else can they do with him, he is still thirty something in the same situation and always has being and always will be, they can't develop him any further because he is stuck.

In other situation comedies the characters grow and change and then the comedy usually runs its course. With the simpsons the characters are the same and they will remain so. So if I watch it next week or a year from now, it will be the same and I will feel I have seen it before. It is more like a cartoon comic strip then a television series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

44leto wrote: »
    No no no. Even when the classic episodes weren't funny they were still enjoyable to watch. All the little subtleties and nuances were addictive viewing. Now it's pure pain watching the Simpsons. The reason it's crap now is nothing to do with running out of ideas. The writers now are just thick. They think what makes homer funny is simply being an idiot for example.

But what else can they do with him, he is still thirty something in the same situation and always has being and always will be, they can't develop him any further because he is stuck.

In other situation comedies the characters grow and change and then the comedy usually runs its course. With the simpsons the characters are the same and they will remain so. So if I watch it next week or a year from now, it will be the same and I will feel I have seen it before. It is more like a cartoon comic strip then a television series.

Good writers like the original ones can make a walk to the shop funny, potential ideas are limitless. Many of the best episodes have very simple storylines, the writers with talent can make it funny and enjoyable to watch. I don't see the need for the characters to change,

Good writers like the original ones can make a walk to the shop funny, potential ideas are limitless. Many of the best episodes have very simple storylines, the writers with talent can make it funny and enjoyable to watch. I don't see the need for the characters to change,

I don't think so, comedy more then any other entertainment ages the quickest and has to be fresh. The simpsons when they first arrived had a freshness in Homer Bart Ned and the host of characters, but we have had our fill of them.

A similar phenomenon is old comics, they seem to be revived at the moment on the BeeB Jasper Carrot and Gryf Rhy Jones have new shows although in their day they were great, but not any more.

Billy Connolly in my mind was one of the greatest ever comic, but not now, his act has all the old material with different flavours, but I feel i have heard the joke before, as in the simpsons I have heard it all before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seriously anyone here looking for a decent adult-themed comedy cartoon should just check out Archer
    I love south park, but Archer kicks the **** out of it

seriously anyone here looking for a decent adult-themed comedy cartoon should just check out Archer

That looks class, were is it on, I think I am already hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Well then they should end it.

Of course that will never happen while the show is still a cash cow but it is so past its sell by date now.

That looks class, were is it on, I think I am already hooked.

I've no idea what channel it airs on this side of the pond, I accquire it through other means the day after it airs stateside

--edit

and any fans of arrested development should check out archer.. the mother in AD is the mother in archer, and georges crazy secretary plays carol/cristal (cristal - like the champagne hot black guys drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

krudler wrote: »
    Its not even the same show anymore tbh, it started as a lighthearted but cynical look at American family life that dealt with actual family stuff,now its just "zany" adventures. Sure the older episodes had crazy stuff in them too but the writing was so good you didnt care, Homer going to space is one of the best episodes ever, its ridiculous but its so well written that it seems plausible in the context of the show.

I prefer when the plots were simple. Bart is jealous that Milhouse gets a girlfriend, Homer stays home from church and nearly burns down the house. Lisa has a crush on a teacher. The older episodes usually had two plots running but they gelled together, now the first few minutes has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the episode. Its actually sad to think there are now more crappy episodes of The Simpsons than great ones, its definitely a tarnished legacy of what was once the smartest and funniest show on television. I have the dvd box sets of the first 8 seasons and season 4 genuinely doesnt have a poor episode, it may be the best season of a tv show ever, every single episode is a classic and it was at the height of when the Simpsons was amazing.

Your username gives you authority on these issues. What an episode.

I think another turning point was giving Moe more storylines as a pathetic person, before he was just this hardass barman and it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I've heard great things about Archer; haven't seen it yet but will definitely check it out at some point.
    and any fans of arrested development should check out archer.. the mother in AD is the mother in archer, and georges crazy secretary plays carol/cristal (cristal - like the champagne hot black guys drink)

She was possibly my favourite character in AD.

*lifts shirt*

Say goodbye to THESE. :D

I've no idea what channel it airs on this side of the pond, I accquire it through other means the day after it airs stateside

--edit

Thanx
    Eyepatch on and oooharr!!,I will look into those other means immediately.

• Advertisement

Well then they should end it.

Of course that will never happen while the show is still a cash cow but it is so past its sell by date now.

Well it is still fresh in certain parts of the world, it recently started airing in the Arab world, its just stale here.

But what a cash cow it has been. The studio tried to be fresh with futurama although I think it is much better, it just never got the same appeal.

But make no doubt about it, the best writers on the market are all attainable for the simpsons, it is still a cash cow, a lack of comic talent is not the shows problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Trash of the Titans is always one of my personal favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Trash of the Titans is always one of my personal favourites!
    That was on yesterday - brilliance from start to finish. And it isn't a classic era Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The Bansky intro was the only decent thing about the simpsons in a long while. I hate the look of the simpsons now compared to the rough animation of the earllier series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

"Lisa the vegetarian" is still one of my favorites. I think that one episode has some of the best quick jokes and one-liners packed into a single episode:

"You don't win friends with sa-lad! You don't win friends with sa-lad!

"When I grow up, I'm going to bovine university!"

"Attention families. This is Mother Goose. The following cars have been broken into..."

Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
    Homer: [Chuckles] Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Plus it include what is possible the greatest PSA/government propaganda spoof ever: MEAT AND YOU.

Yup, it's a great episode. I also like the one where Lisa thinks she's becoming stupid.
    shantolog wrote: »
    I think the whole moew thing was a jingle off an advert for cat food, thats why he's saying meow.

Ah, cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    One thing I will remember about Troy McClure is his sham marriage to Selma Bouvier Twilliger Hutz McClure :D

Louie: Hey, I thought you said Troy McClure was dead.
    Tony: No, what I said was: "He sleeps with the fishes". You see...
    Louie: Uh, Tony, please, no. I just ate a whole plate of dingamagoo...
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Hank Scorpio is hands down the best. I don't like any of the new ones and the writing was so poor in the film I found it hard to believe. I can only guess that they decided to make a film before even trying to write a script.
    The old episodes are still great so it's not changing tastes. The new ones are just crap. Futurama is a great show and it deserves more credit. Family Guy was fun for a while but that got lame after about season 4 for me. American Dad has the odd good episode. I recommend Archer to anyone. It's the only animated show I watch at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

also that shopkeeper "yeeeeesssssss?!" character is fcuking awful. and Lindsay Nagle, the ad exec/agent/yuppie type who always crops up, terrible characters.

god I miss Phil Hartman, he had so many fantastic lines as Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz.

"drink?"
    "its 9.30 in the morning!"
    "yeah but I havent slept in days"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I cant believe no one has said anything about 'Bart after Dark'.
    The episode with the burlesque house.
    This is my favourite episode.

Marge and Lisa are not really in it leaving Homer and Bart to run the show.
    Hilarity ensues.

"Marge, you're gonna hear a lot of crazy talk about Bart working in a burlesque house..."

One of my favourite episodes is when Sideshow Bob takes over the airshow, Bob was always one of the best cameo characters anyway and he was fantastic in that one. "dammit Bob! plenty of new bombs but you had to go for that retro 50's charm!"

"I'll tear you up like a kleenex at a...ugh, snot party...."

Shryke wrote: »
    Hank Scorpio is hands down the best. I don't like any of the new ones and the writing was so poor in the film I found it hard to believe. I can only guess that they decided to make a film before even trying to write a script.

isnt that usually the way it works, or do I just not get hollywood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I watched who shot mr burns before, its great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

isnt that usually the way it works, or do I just not get hollywood?

The script is the film. If the script is approved the go ahead is given to make the film not that that stops changes and rewrites happening all the time but the basis is that there should be a script first.
    The Simpsons probably wouldn't need approval of any kind. It was obviously going to make money even it was a trundling mess. I don't know anything about the background of the film by the way! Just giving my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

krudler wrote: »
    One of my favourite episodes is when Sideshow Bob takes over the airshow,

Is that the one where he had the television stations shut down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Is that the one where he had the television stations shut down?

Yeah, and then Krusty uses the emergency broadcasting channel.

--edit

RE Archer

Just watched my first episode its hilarious, brilliant. I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yeah, and then Krusty uses the emergency broadcasting channel.

Thanks. That was an excellent Simpsons, with Krusty carrying out his show on the EBC from a shed out in the desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Brilliant scene even if it is from later series.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Every second new episode seems to feature a horrible celebrity guest star appearance.
    I think the sacha baron cohen episode is possibly the worst episode of anything i have ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

"Just the tip!" :pac:

Archer's a bit hit and miss, current season is good so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Just watching a new(ish) episode where Homer and Principal Skinner are on a winter Olympics curling team..think that's what's happening anyway.

Anyway, Skinner's mother just had a flashback where she complained that Seymour has always been a burden on her, even when he was in the womb, totally disregarding the Armen Tamzarian story..?

Whatever they're paying the writers these days, it's too much.

Advertisement