Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny won't cut the grass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

squod wrote: »

I just don't understand your objection in this hypothetical situation.

My objection is normal imo, if I was prepared to do this what else would my boss expect me to do, clean his car, wash the windows, make his tea.
    I do the job I applied for, that is the job I'm paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

No. My point was one of extremes like. But facing a pay cut or cutting grass, I'd cut grass.

So what if it wasn’t cutting the grass what if it was cleaning out septic tanks or tarring a roof or washing your boss’s feet? At what point do you draw the line.

I am not a slave I am an employee and I do the job I was paid to do. Sure sometimes I will go above and beyond what is specifically in my job description but I would not let myself be forced to do so all the time and I can never understand people that do.

My boss dose not employee me out of the goodness of his heart he did it because I make his business money and this is the reason why anyone is generally employed. He can ask me to do other work but there is no reason why I should say yes if it falls outside my job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

No Topper, I've been working for these kinds of companies in Ireland since 1991.

I don't have the knowledge or experience to say definitively but I imagine that companies like these are in the minority.
    But not necessarily right. There'd be no point in having any management if staff could decide willy nilly what they want to do.

Quite right, but staff have to have some level of security or management could potentially abuse their position. They can let off half their staff and have the other half take on the extra workload for no extra pay 'for the good of the company', while they keep their jobs and maintain their massive salaries. Then the company ends up with too many chiefs and not enough Indians, of which there plenty in Ireland and I do have experience of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

hondasam wrote: »
    Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.
    Have people on the dole got fleas now! It gets better.
    hondasam has a job in our brilliant public sector,sure isn't working in the PS only a job for people who wouldn't get a job in the private sector (the real world) and would otherwise be on the dole themselves....

gerryo777 wrote: »
    hondasam has a job in our brilliant public sector,sure isn't working in the PS only a job for people who wouldn't get a job in the private sector (the real world) and would otherwise be on the dole themselves....

fyi hondasam has worked in the private sector and she also lives in the real world. Don't bother having a dig at me it will go right over my head.
    I will not apologise for having a job, a job I got long before the recession. As for the PS it's not all it's cracked up to be, believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Bollox.
    Of course they should cut the fúcking grass themselves. What exactly do they do all day? It's not like we're at war, or going to be - what do the 8000 or so (i think) soldiers do all day, that has them so busy that a handfull of them can't spend an hour or two on a lawnmower?

I'm not in the army, so i don't know exactly what they do all day.
    But, our country sees fit to maintain an army and, presumably, they do what they signed up to do/what they were told the job would entail when they decided to join, in the hours they are paid to work.
    This obviously didn't include 'cutting the grass' around army bases.
    Do you propose they do it in their free time?
    They have lives and family's outside of their jobs just like Pat Kenny.
    So it's telling that someone like him would demean other professionals, and question the usefulness of what they currently do, by opining that they should do work outside their remit in order to cut costs, and entirely legitimate for someone to ask him if he would be prepared to do/why he isn't doing the same.

fyi hondasam has worked in the private sector and she also lives in the real world. Don't bother having a dig at me it will go right over my head.
    I will not apologise for having a job, a job I got long before the recession. As for the PS it's not all it's cracked up to be, believe me.
    Your comment about people on the dole sitting at home scratching really pissed me off. Several of my friends with families to rear have lost their jobs and are really struggling to keep things together. They're not at home scratching themselves.
    BTW, I wasn't having a go at people at the lower level in the PS.

Your comment about people on the dole sitting at home scratching really pissed me off. Several of my friends with families to rear have lost their jobs and are really struggling to keep things together. They're not at home scratching themselves.

Hondasam had a point though. While not having a go at people on the dole (and I know some too), they could be doing something for their welfare payment (and gain some experience) rather than people with jobs taking on extra tasks outside of their job for no extra pay, some of who are also struggling to keep things together. And keep in mind that not all people on the dole are real job seekers, there are some scroungers/fraudsters out there too.

In theory that is what the National Internship Scheme is but I'm not sure if it's working out as planned.

This also pisses of people who work in the PS, the general attitude is we are all over paid and sit around all day doing fcuk all. Of course some do on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Hondasam had a point though. While not having a go at people on the dole (and I know some too), they could be doing something for their welfare payment (and gain some experience) rather than people with jobs taking on extra tasks outside of their job for no extra pay, some of who are also struggling to keep things together. And keep in mind that not all people on the dole are real job seekers, there are some scroungers/fraudsters out there too.

In theory that is what the National Internship Scheme is but I'm not sure if it's working out as planned.

As has been discussed several times the system is the one that stiffles the unemployed, the ones who want to contribute that is, to lazily say they sit at home scratching is just pompous.

• Advertisement

This also pisses of people who work in the PS, the general attitude is we are all over paid and sit around all day doing fcuk all. Of course some do on both sides.
    Quits?;)

billybudd wrote: »
    to lazily say they sit at home scratching is just pompous.

Maybe so, but in this case I think it was just an off the cuff retort rather than a deliberate accusation. There are no pompous people in AH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

ascanbe wrote: »
    I'm not in the army, so i don't know exactly what they do all day.
    But, our country sees fit to maintain an army and, presumably, they do what they signed up to do/what they were told the job would entail when they decided to join, in the hours they are paid to work.
    This obviously didn't include 'cutting the grass' around army bases.
    Do you propose they do it in their free time?
    They have lives and family's outside of their jobs just like Pat Kenny.
    So it's telling that someone like him would demean other professionals, and question the usefulness of what they currently do, by opining that they should do work outside their remit in order to cut costs, and entirely legitimate for someone to ask him if he would be prepared to do/why he isn't doing the same.

Your typical private in the army is not refusing to do this the way a teacher, guard, nurse or anyone else in the PS would be able to refuse. It's the army, they follow orders. The powers that be have decided (correctly in my opinion) that cutting grass would be a waste of the army's limited personnel resources. If they were told to do it they'd do it, the same way they do every other thing we ask of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I don't have the knowledge or experience to say definitively but I imagine that companies like these are in the minority.

I'd say they're in the majority. Fast food restaraunts, banks, factories, some supermarkets, some builders.......

Ever watched a formula 1 GP? I always thought that this Croke park agreement was supposed to get the PS up to speed with the rest of us. After reading back through the thread I serious think I've been decieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Bollox.
    Of course they should cut the fúcking grass themselves. What exactly do they do all day? It's not like we're at war, or going to be - what do the 8000 or so (i think) soldiers do all day, that has them so busy that a handfull of them can't spend an hour or two on a lawnmower?
    You know soldiers aren't just braindead people with guns? These people have professions within the army.

Lets say you're an engineer working for a company and they turn around and ask you to cut the grass. What would your response be?

This is the same army that sued the state for any amount of money over deafness claims from using their guns and in other cases deafness claims for playing in the army band.
    Cost to the state? Over €321 million.
    Imagine joining an army and then complaining about the noise of the guns or the musical instrument you were playing.
    The Irish army is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A lot of hate for Pat Kenny here. I think the idiot who answered his question with the stupidest question ever deserves it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

The Army service their own vehicles and cook their own food. Should these jobs be contracted out too?

Anyone old enough to remember the Don Tidy kidnap will remember the Army wanted over-time payments from doing some actual "armying"! When they were actually called out to do what they have been paid to do, they wanted extra money.

The Irish Army costs as much, if not more, to run, than the Gardai.

Gophur wrote: »
    The Army service their own vehicles and cook their own food. Should these jobs be contracted out too?

Anyone old enough to remember the Don Tidy kidnap will remember the Army wanted over-time payments from doing some actual "armying"! When they were actually called out to do what they have been paid to do, they wanted extra money.

They were able to collect bins during the bin strike of the 80's

Completely wrong. Look at the costs for each service for the queens visit.

• Advertisement

These are skilled jobs that people in the army are trained and paid to do, at a lower cost than contracting them out. Training someone in the army and paying them above minimum wage, providing medical care pension etc and then putting them to work cutting grass makes no sense when you can contract it out for a much lower cost

marketty wrote: »
    ........ Look at the costs for each service for the queens visit.

Why?

This is the same army that sued the state for any amount of money over deafness claims from using their guns and in other cases deafness claims for playing in the army band.
    Cost to the state? Over €321 million.
    Imagine joining an army and then complaining about the noise of the guns or the musical instrument you were playing.

First off its not the same army, those guys were discharged as they did not meet the medical standard, due to deafness. So it's a 'different' army now. The state was negligent towards those soldiers as it ordered them to carry out certain tasks without taking reasonable precautions to protect them from unnecessary harm. Nowadays soldiers are provided with hearing protection and if they don't use it it's their own fault.
    Just because they joined the army doesn't mean they should be harmed by their working environment needlessly during peacetime.
    Using your logic:
    Imagine working on a building site and complaining about falling off faulty scaffolding.

Exact figures, from Budget 2012

Garda Siochana will cost €1.425b
    Defence forces will cost €892m

And we need contractors to cut their grass!

Why?

Because both forces mounted massive security operations involving huge numbers of their personnel, the difference in the cost was enormous due to Gardai being paid overtime, accommodated in hotels etc. which soldiers neither looked for nor received.
    I'm not Garda bashing either I'm just saying its ridiculous to say the army costs as much as the gardai

I've clarified the exact costs of both bodies.

The value of each is a separate debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cian A wrote: »
    Pat Kenny doesn't even cut his own grass.
    I know because I've hired lawnmowers out to his gardener before.

What sort of shoddy "gardener" doesn't own a lawnmower?
    Er, loads of people would refuse to do certain work if it fell outside their contract boundaries.

I believe the colloquial term for these people is "public service employees" The "service" is, of course, sarcastic.
    Sykk wrote: »
    You know soldiers aren't just braindead people with guns? These people have professions within the army.

Lets say you're an engineer working for a company and they turn around and ask you to cut the grass. What would your response be?

My response would be, maybe it would be a better use of resources to get a youngfella or a trainee to do it and i can carry on engineering. Surely out of the almost 9000 soldiers, quite a few are not skilled engineers or professionals of any description. Also it's not like the grass needs to be cut every hour on the hour.
    Barring that, i would have no problem cutting the grass if the grass needed cutting. In my job here the storeman comes in every second saturday or so and cuts the grass as needed - when he was out sick i saw the production director do it once or twice. I've never done it myself but not because it's not my job, i just haven't done it. At no stage was it ever considered to hire a gardener.
    The reason? Because, as a private company, we operate in the real world and employees are expected to do whatever work requires doing wherever feasible- not to pick up the phone and ring someone else to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

hondasam has a job in our brilliant public sector,....

I often wondered where the time for the 1000+ posts per month came from. I actually assumed either the dole or a student, no one else has that amount of free time..........except that is....... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.

Most ignorant and ridiculous post I have ever read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Would making them cut the grass not lose jobs in the private sector for those who do it?

Advertisement