Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny won't cut the grass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Why would a lean management team pay Hondasam, someone who I presume is working for more than minimum wage, minimum wage + x per hour to cut the grass when it could be done for just minimum wage? In the case of someone like Pat Kenny, you're paying something like 10 - 20 times the going rate for grass cutting.

Process engineer saves hondsam half an hour a day. HR sees the changes and consults with management. Management take into consideration his long standing with the company and offer him a pay cut and reduced hours or doing something like cutting the grass. It happens like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

squod wrote: »
    Process engineer saves hondsam half an hour a day. HR sees the changes and consults with management. Management take into consideration his long standing with the company and offer him a pay cut and reduced hours or doing something like cutting the grass. It happens like.

But then the management have spent a lot of money identifying potential ways to save money on labour... and they've decided not to realise those savings.

But then the management have spent a lot of money identifying potential ways to save money on labour... and they've decided not to realise those savings.

Yep. They've let hondasam off the hook. Lucky break for him or does he walk off in disgust? How about you? If you were in his hypothetical boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Why would a lean management team pay Hondasam, someone who I presume is working for more than minimum wage, minimum wage + x per hour to cut the grass when it could be done for just minimum wage? In the case of someone like Pat Kenny, you're paying something like 10 - 20 times the going rate for grass cutting.

This is a good point.
    Once again the army is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    Contract it in, they're lazy and sit around all day doing nothing.
    Go out and do it themselves (which they absolutely would do if they were told to by the powers that be) and everyone would be saying the Irish army is a joke they drive lawn mowers instead of tanks why are we paying them minimum wage+x and a pension to cut grass.
    Also have you people seen the curragh camp? The place is massive I'd say it takes a few guys working full time to keep the place in order gardening wise. Hardly the best use of limited personnel numbers for the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Why exactly do they need to cut the grass at all? I'm not suggesting that they don't need to, but I wonder why they do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Face a disciplinary over some grass cutting? C'mon.

why would I face a disciplinary hearing? You seem to think my boss can just decide to change what I'm doing on a whim. This I assure you is not how it works.

Hondasam is female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

hondasam wrote: »
    why would I face a disciplinary hearing? You seem to think my boss can just decide to change what I'm doing on a whim. This I assure you is not how it works.

Hondasam is female.

Do you work in the public service?
    It seems most people on boards expect anyone who does to just shut up and do what their told 'sure you're lucky to have a job' and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sure if pat cut the grass at Rte he'd probably end up claiming the land for himself :pac:

marketty wrote: »
    Do you work in the public service?
    It seems most people on boards expect anyone who does to just shut up and do what their told 'sure you're lucky to have a job' and so on

Yes I work in the PS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

*gets popcorn*

• Advertisement

staker wrote: »
    *gets popcorn*

Hope you have enough for everyone. Can of coke as well please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Feeona wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is an idiot. A broadcaster who thinks he knows how to do everyone else's jobs without any experience or knowledge of said jobs.

Good to see the guest showing him up on his self-righteousness.

Can't stand pompous Pat but he has a point - cutting grass isn't rocket science and it would be good exercise for some of the desk jockeys in the army. It's reaching the stage where if there's a war they'll be looking for tenders for people to do the fighting. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I wouldn't expect ourrrr Patrick to cut the grass up at Montrose, he is far to regally important, what would we do without him.

I actually wouldn't mind a well paying grass cutting job like those corpo/council lads that keep our parks beautiful, out in the open and a bit of satisfacting at the end of the day. Rather then my life draining, monotonous and soul destroying excuse of a job I have.

I really wanted to be A Lumberjack.

Hondasam is female.

Not on a whim hondasam. As I said........

I presume the PS have process engineers, human resources departments and management teams. Or are PS workers somehow exempt from all of these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Hope you have enough for everyone. Can of coke as well please.

:D

It's only gonna go one way, BISH BASH BOSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Get the army to cut their grass then get them to drop into RTE and make the plank cut the rte's grass at gunpoint :) even better make him cut it with a push mower, one of the old type that are ground driven and 1ft cutting width :D The plank might go some way to earning a fraction of his ridiculous wages.

Not on a whim hondasam. As I said........

I presume the PS have process engineers, human resources departments and management teams. Or are PS workers somehow exempt from all of these things?

I go to work, do the job I'm paid to do and I let everyone else do their jobs.
    This system works for me.

I go to work, do the job I'm paid to do and I let everyone else do their jobs.
    This system works for me.

Not having a go hondasam. It is (in my view) unreasonable to refuse some scheduled work if it's deemed by the management to be beneficial to the employer. Even if it means cutting the grass now and then.

Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.

I don't follow the logic of that post is all I'm saying. I've never experienced this kind of thinking before. Generally if I'm asked to do something, I'll go do it. I'd expect others would do likewise, within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't follow the logic of that post is all I'm saying. I've never experienced this kind of thinking before. Generally if I'm asked to do something, I'll go do it. I'd expect others would do likewise, within reason.

Er, loads of people would refuse to do certain work if it fell outside their contract boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Pat posed the question. ''Why wouldn't the soldiers cut the grass themselves''. His guest replied ''would you cut the grass here at RTE?''

Of course he said no, that he had other things to do.
    Feeona wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is an idiot. A broadcaster who thinks he knows how to do everyone else's jobs without any experience or knowledge of said jobs.

Good to see the guest showing him up on his self-righteousness.

I don't listen to his radio show but I've seen Frontline a bit and he doesn't some across as self-righteous on that. But try to keep in mind that Pat Kenny is a journalist and it's his job to ask such questions, so that the interviewee can answer and inform the listening public of their reason for hiring contractors.
    pat kenny wouldn't cut the grass because there'd need to be a risk assessment done first, can't have RTE's prize star pouring petrol into a lawnmower!

So if Pat Kenny starts cutting RTE's grass, what will the groundskeeping staff do? Present a radio show?
    So if the boss asked you to do it you'd object? Say the rostering system puts you in for grass cutting between 10am and 1 pm next Tuesday. What would you do?

Don't know about you Squod, but I've got a job specification in my contract which clearly defines my duties. If I was asked to cut the grass I wouldn't have a problem doing it except for the fact that I'd be taking someone else's job.

• Advertisement

. If I was asked to cut the grass I wouldn't have a problem doing it except for the fact that I'd be taking someone else's job.

Which is a fair point. Bearing in mind times are tight and as I've outline it's either reduced hours and a pay cut or some grass cutting. I'll cut grass.
    Er, loads of people would refuse to do certain work if it fell outside their contract boundaries.

Contracts get changed, processes improve, budgets generally call the shots and not people.

Not having a go hondasam. It is (in my view) unreasonable to refuse some scheduled work if it's deemed by the management to be beneficial to the employer. Even if it means cutting the grass now and then.

If I'm asked to do something I will oblige if it suits me and only if I want to.
    Under no circumstances would I ever go out and cut the grass at work.
    This is not the job I was employed to do and no where in my contract does it state I have to do what ever job my manager decides on a whim, be it for the good of the company or not.

If I'm asked to do something I will oblige if it suits me and only if I want to.
    Under no circumstances would I ever go out and cut the grass at work.
    This is not the job I was employed to do and no where in my contract does it state I have to do what ever job my manager decides on a whim, be it for the good of the company or not.

This is extraordinary. Are you serious like?

Which is a fair point. Bearing in mind times are tight and as I've outline it's either reduced hours and a pay cut or some grass cutting. I'll cut grass.

By the way, you're welcome to cut the grass in my garden and I won't reduce your working hours or cut your pay. Everybody wins. :p

This is extraordinary. Are you serious like?

Yes of course I'm serious, why wouldn't I be.
    what do you work at? are you willing to be told to do just anything?

Yes of course I'm serious, why wouldn't I be.
    what do you work at? are you willing to be told to do just anything?

Of course not. But I think everyone accepts that work progresses like. The hypothetical point I put was this.....

So MegaCorp buys over your job and your old boss is hit by a bus. hondasam is rostered in once a month for two hours grass cutting under the new lean system management have put in place.
    .......................................................................................................................................

I just don't understand your objection in this hypothetical situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

squod in your hypothetical point you are taking a skilled person and asking them to do manual labor with no incentive for them to do so other then it would be good for the company. If it was me I would also say no.

I don’t work for the good of the company I work for a pay check and because I like the type of work I do. My contract sets out the job I am employed to do and I do it. Recently my boss tried to change my contract because he wanted to change my working conditions and I said no.

He employed me to do a job and I will do that job but he did not buy a slave to do whatever he wants me to do which is why I have a contract with him.

Of course not. But I think everyone accepts that work progresses like. The hypothetical point I put was this.....

Not everyone. That's very much a Japanese philosophy where there's a collectivist culture. In Ireland people focus more on their own self-interest and rather than do what is best for their employer (and possibly themselves in the long run), they will join a union and ensure that their pay and conditions don't get unfavourably altered, which isn't necessarily wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'd do anything for money.

• Advertisement

That's very much a Japanese philosophy

No Topper, I've been working for these kinds of companies in Ireland since 1991.
    In Ireland people focus more on their own self-interest and rather than do what is best for their employer (and possibly themselves in the long run), they will join a union and ensure that their pay and conditions don't get unfavourably altered, which isn't necessarily wrong.

But not necessarily right. There'd be no point in having any management if staff could decide willy nilly what they want to do.
    Doc wrote: »
    squod in your hypothetical point you are taking a skilled person and asking them to do manual labor with no incentive for them to do so other then it would be good for the company.

No. My point was one of extremes like. But facing a pay cut or cutting grass, I'd cut grass.

Advertisement