Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

409548_10150574853427328_703872327_8915341_1974289193_n.jpg

407048_10150574853337328_703872327_8915340_1980706080_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Crikey, I never expected Peugeot to pull out. I do hope they will reconsider their decision about not entering the Le Mans 24 hours though.

That Toyota looks ugly, especially with that fin. They can't even close the door properly :eek:

I'm disappointed that they are only running with 1 car and not racing at Sebring.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Just renamed the thread so it can include all Endurance events. Didnt expect that from Peugeot.

cheers was going to ask made the thread in a bit of a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Was really looking forward to the first shots of the Toyota LMP1, however the news about Peugeot has me numbed. I'm so disappointed. Even as an Audi fan I always had a special place for the various 908s, fantastic looking and sounding machine. Audi and Peugeot had built up such a rivalry, and especially after last year being such a close run thing. I really hope the funding comes through and that they'll be back in 2013 or ASAP. The entry window is closed now, so 2012 is a non-flyer. A number of talented drivers without a seat now also. Glad I was at Le Mans to see them in action.

What a shame....:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I can only wonder if Bourdais might have gotten the word about Peugeot pulling out, before the public did, given he just signed full-time with Dragon Racing in IndyCar :confused:

LMP1 won't be all that interesting this year. Who knows, the ACO might have to do with the prototypes what they did with the Grand Tourers and just make it one class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I can only wonder if Bourdais might have gotten the word about Peugeot pulling out, before the public did, given he just signed full-time with Dragon Racing in IndyCar :confused:

LMP1 won't be all that interesting this year. Who knows, the ACO might have to do with the prototypes what they did with the Grand Tourers and just make it one class.

Yeah I thought something was amiss when Nico Minnassian pulled out last week as well but didnt think it was anything like this

The French car manufacturer also wants to concentrate its 2012 resources on its commercial performance and, in particular, ensuring the successful launches of several new models which will take forward the brand's strategy of moving upmarket and extending its global presence.

Auto123.com Thursday talked to a veteran of the Peugeot Sport race team.

“No one saw that one coming. Not at all. Yesterday, we got a message to gather all together at 4 p.m. And we were told the bad news,” he said.

One hour later, the official press release was posted on the web.

“This decision is quite hard to understand. Just after Christmas we restarted the manufacturing of parts process and we had just received the 2012 tubs. The test team was down in Sebring, Florida to do some testing when they got the news. Now, they're getting prepared to fly back here in Velizy,” our man told us.

“This week, we were deciding if we were going to enter three or four 908s at Le Mans, and how many of these cars would be hybrids. The news was a shock – a major blow on our heads. We will offered redeployment solutions within the company and internal mobility, but the worst part is that we will lose more than one hundred of very qualified and highly skilled persons. The situation is really dramatic for our younger mechanics and technicians. We're going to lose everything. If Peugeot ever wants to go back racing, they will have to build everything from scratch,” he added.

Our man confirmed us that Peugeot does not want to see the 908s being entered and raced by privateers. “No. Peugeot does not want to see a single 908 leave the factory. One private team has already offered Peugeot to race our cars, but it got a definite no as an answer. It's all over. Period.” he said.

Meanwhile, Gpupdate.net wrote Thursday morning that Craig Pollock and PURE are considering using Peugeot Sport's facilities located near Paris at 3 rue Marcel-Dassault in Vélizy to serve as a base for their F1 turbo engine programme.

However, this building is not only the home of Peugeot's endurance programme but also where the clients and rally departments are housed.

so that puts an end to the rumours of Henri Pescarolo running a 908 at le mans then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

Grim. wrote: »
    so that puts an end to the rumours of Henri Pescarolo running a 908 at le mans then :(

That makes this even worse,
    Team Oreca ran a 2010 spec 908 last year, and Pesca had run one previously,
    It doesn't seem to make sense that the cars will just sit unused in both diesel and hybrid forms gathering dust when they could be flying down Mulsanne!

As a big Pesca and Peugeot fan this is just adding to the bitter disappointment of yesterdays news.

Still planning on heading over, have to pick up a diecast 908, though the price will have skyrocketed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's friggin awful news. As said, Davidson really can't catch a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I read on Autosport that Toyota will be sending 2 cars to Le Mans. Great stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Has anyone done Le Mans and have advice or tips for travel? Couple of us want to head, Ferry/driving is long but cheap and allows for stockpiles of alcohol, flights are quick but would be impossible to lug around the amount of stuff we'd be wanting to.

http://www.traveldestinations.co.uk/ have their own private campsite with security etc from what ive heard their also meant to be fairly flexible with setting up a package for you if you contact them

amacachi wrote: »
    Has anyone done Le Mans and have advice or tips for travel? Couple of us want to head, Ferry/driving is long but cheap and allows for stockpiles of alcohol, flights are quick but would be impossible to lug around the amount of stuff we'd be wanting to.
    Been there the past 2 years,
    Did it the fly-over way,
    Do yourself a favour and go for the week-long tickect, you'll need the week to see everything :pac:

If your camping it means lugging a few large bags around the airport and paying the considerable baggage charges,

Personally going to try and drive over this year, for one, to try and do something different, and B, to be able to carry a bit more over/ go to the shops whenever we need.

BUY A STAND TICKET, at 6:00am on the Sunday when the tiredness hits, you'll want somewhere to sit down!

Bring plenty of money, there's LOTS of stall and drink to be had,

Lastly, DO IT, your only regret will be that you'll want to go again and again every summer from now until..................

out of curiosity killinator how much does the entire trip cost you?

out of curiosity killinator how much does the entire trip cost you?
    The week tickets are about 65 euro, the stand is another 40/50, and the campsite is another 60ish,
    To be honest the travelling (flying especially) is where the money builds up, with having to fly(with baggage including a tent) into cdg airport and then getting the tgv to le mans, then the tram to the track,
    Not very specific, but I'll come back with a more accurate price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »

I did it in 2009, the year Peugoet won and it is without doubt the best racing weekend you can have. The good thing about Le Mans is that you can do it as cheap or expensive as you want. As Killinator said get the weeklong ticket. I didnt take the stand ticket but got lucky that there wasnt any rain that year but most year's arent like that.

For 60 quid you get a programme, a review of the previous year's race, free parking and camping at the on-track campsites. I havent stayed in those during the 24 hours but have at the MotoGP race in 07. When we went back to the 24 Hours we decided to stay in a campsite outside of the town but the traffic was never an issue getting in and out so for 15 quid a night the campsite was spot on.

If you book flights early you'll be able to get a good deal and baggage weight shouldnt really be an issue unless you have a really heavy tent! If you're thinking of going just book it you wont regret it! I remember when we arrived on the Thursday I saw a caravan in the campsite with 24 Hour stickers from the last 20 odd years on the window and I thought, it couldnt be this good but Ive been looking to go back since then.....

love the way it pulls away using the electric motor will be interesting to see if they can gain fuel economy during the race doing this

love the way it pulls away using the electric motor will be interesting to see if they can gain fuel economy during the race doing this

Sounds like the Batmobile,
    I was worried it wouldn't have much sound but I'm pretty happy with that, can't wait to hear it in the flesh now.

Oh and Grim:
    Here is what I paid for LeMans tickets via the official site last year:

General Enclosure/week long 5 June-12 June: 67euro
    This also allows a pitwalk on the Friday before the race and access to all general spectator stands for everyday except raceday.

Campsite(Yellow area), week long 5 June-12 June: 51euro
    This includes space for 1 tent and 1 car, though if the tent is small you will easily fit 2, also theses spaces are not hugely regulated or even marked out clearly, so you have leeway.

Grandstand(Tribune 34), valid for entire race: 65euro
    This the main stand above the pits, seating is issued on the ticket but is not adhered to as you'll spend most of your time leaning out over the barrier/fence to look directly down on to the cars as they pit.

So that's 183euro for your various tickets,
    How you travel and when you book will vary the price of travel tickets so its pointless giving a figure for them, but travel is more expensive generally than the combination of all those tickets above.

• Advertisement

Nick Heidfeld joins Rebellion Racing and will race at Sebring, Spa and Le mans

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-heidfeld-set-to-join-rebellion/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Daytona 24 hours is on Eurosport this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

aaahhhh sweet:)

and motors tv with radiolemans on coms

fantastic racing between the prototypes in the Daytona 24H at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

streaming live on justin.tv search for besweeet2

Pescarolo's second car will be a dome S102.5 drivers will be Sebastien Bourdais and Nic Minassian third driver TBA

425578_10150655706664384_270701639383_11279560_1486526106_n.jpg

24 HOURS OF LE MANS ENTRY LIST

LMP1 (15 entries)

1 – Audi Sport Team Joest – Audi R18 Hybrid – Andre Lotterer
    2 – Audi Sport Team Joest – Audi R18 Hybrid – Allan McNish
    3 – Audi Sport Team Joest – Audi R18 – Timo Bernhard
    4 – Audi Sport North America – Audi R18 – Oliver Jarvis
    7 – Toyota Racing – Toyota TS030 Hybrid – Alexander Wurz
    8 – Toyota Racing – Toyota TS030 Hybrid – Hiroaki Ishiura
    12 – Rebellion Racing – Lola B12/60 Coupe Toyota – Nicolas Prost
    13 – Rebellion Racing – Lola B12/60 Coupe Toyota – Andrea Belicchi
    15 – OAK Racing – Oak Pescarolo Judd – Guillaume Moreau
    16 – Pescarolo Team – Pescarolo 03 Judd – Emmanuel Collard
    17 – Pescarolo Team – Dome Judd – Nicolas Minassian
    18 – Dyson Racing Team – Lola B12/60 Mazda – Guy Smith
    19 – Dyson Racing Team – Lola B12/60 Mazda – Chris Dyson
    21 – Strakka Racing – HPD ARX-03a – Nick Leventis
    22 – JRM – HPD ARX-03a – David Brabham

LMP2 (18 entries)

23 – Signatech Nissan – Oreca 03 Nissan – Jordan Tresson
    24 – OAK Racing – Morgan Judd – Jaques Nicolet
    25 – ADR-Delta – Oreca 03 Nissan – John Martin
    26 – Signatech Nissan – Oreca 03 Nissan – Franck Maileux
    28 – Gulf Racing Middle East – Lola B12/80 Nissan – Fabien Giroix
    29 – Gulf Racing Middle East – Lola B12/80 Nissan – Frederic Fatien
    31 – Lotus – Lola B12/80 Lotus –Thomas Josef Holzer
    33 – Level 5 Motorsports – HPD ARX-03b – Scott Tucker
    35 – OAK Racing – Morgan Judd – Olivier Pla
    38 – JOTA – Zytek Z11SN Nissan – Sam Hancock
    40 – Race Performance – Oreca 03 Judd – Michel Frey
    41 – Greaves Motorsport – Zytek Z11SN Nissan – Christian Zugel
    42 – Greaves Motorsport – Zytek Z11SN Nissan – Alex Brundle
    43 – Extreme Limite Aric – Norma MP200 Judd – Fabien Rossier
    44 – Starworks Motorsport – HPD ARX-03b – Enzo Potolicchio
    45 – Boutsen Ginion Racing – Oreca 03 Nissan – Bastien Briere
    46 – Thiriet by TDS Racing – Oreca 03 Nissan – Pierre Thiriet
    49 – Pecom Racing – Oreca 03 Nissan – Luis-Perez Companc

GTE-PRO (9 entries)

51 – AF Corse – Ferrari F458 Italia – Giancarlo Fisichella
    59 – Luxury Racing – Ferrari F458 Italia – Fred Makowiecki
    66 – JMW Motorsport – Ferrari F458 Italia – Tim Sugden
    71 – AF Corse – Ferrari F458 Italia – Andrea Bertolini
    73 – Corvette Racing – Corvette C6.R – Antonio Garcia
    74 – Corvette Racing – Corvette C6.R – Oliver Gavin
    77 – Team Felbermayr-Proton – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Richard Lietz
    80 – Flying Lizard Motorsports – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Jorg Bergmeister
    97 – Aston Martin Racing – Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Stefan Mucke

GTE-AM (13 entries)

50 – Larbre Competition – Corvette C6.R – Patrick Bornhauser
    55 – JWA-Avila – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Paul Daniels
    57 – Krohn Racing – Ferrari F458 Italia – Tracy Krohn
    58 – Luxury Racing – Ferrari F458 Italia – Pierre Ehret
    61 – AF Corse – Ferrari F458 Italia – Robert Kauffman
    67 – IMSA Performance Matmut – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Anthony Pons
    70 – Larbre Competition – Corvette C6.R – Christophe Bourret
    75 – Prospeed Competition – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Paul van Splunteren
    79 – Flying Lizard Motorsports – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Seth Neiman
    81 – AF Corse – Ferrari F458 Italia – Pierguiseppe Perazzini
    83 – JMB Racing – Ferrari F458 Italia – Manuel Rodrigues
    88 – Team Felbermayr-Proton – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Christian Ried
    99 – Aston Martin Racing – Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Christoffer Nyhaard

UNCLASSIFIED (1 entry)

0 – Highcroft Racing – Deltawing – Marino Franchitti

RESERVES (9 entries)

47 – Jetalliance Racing – Lola-Judd – David Henemeier-Hansson (LMP2)
    30 – Status Grand Prix – Lola-Judd – Alexander Sims (LMP2)
    48 – Murphy Motorsports – Oreca 03 Judd – Gregory Murphy (LMP2)
    5 – Hope Racing – Oreca Swiss HyTech Hybrid – Steve Zacchia (LMP1)
    32 – Lotus – Lola B12/80 Lotus – Dariusch Ahrabian

76 – IMSA Performance Matmut – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Patrick Pilet (GTE-Pro)
    64 – Lotus Cars LTD – Lotus Evora GTE – Johnny Mowlem (GTE-Pro)
    98 – Aston Martin Racing – Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Darren Turner (GTE-Pro)
    63 – Proton Competition – Porsche 911 GT3 RSR – Horst Felbermayr Jr. (GTE-Am)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Marino Franchitti named as driving the Deltawing? This'll be interesting...

Also, Status on the LMP2 reserve list. Is it wrong I'm hoping that a couple of current entries drop out? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

No Aston Martin or Oreca LMP1s :-(

Advertisement