Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carparks should impose fines for poor parking

Options
  • 30-01-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Let me be the first to say I am normally totally opposed to any sort of Nanny stateism and even more opposed to any revenue generation tactics disguised as fines however.

Does anyone else think its about time car parks and clampers etc started to impose fines for people who park so badly they cause issues for other users.
    Yesterday I saw a car parked so close to the one next to it the driver of the other car ( an old lady ) was forced to enter her car from the passenger side and climb across into the drivers seat !
    The car was parked at almost a 30% angle in the space encroaching cars beside its space with the front nearside bumper almost touching the door of this ladies car, making it impossible for her to get in.

Shouldn't this twat have to pay for such inconsideration - plus parking in 2 spots !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Were you listening to RTE 2FM this morning????

There were suggesting replacing the septic tank and household charge with a "bad parking" fine.. €200 for taking more than your own space.

In Japan I suspect they have this....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

si_guru wrote: »
    Were you listening to RTE 2FM this morning????

There were suggesting replacing the septic tank and household charge with a "bad parking" fine.. €200 for taking more than your own space.

In Japan I suspect they have this....?

No, Japan just taxes cars very heavily apart from kei cars which couldn't possibly take up two spaces even if driven by an Irish simpleton.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

careful, they'll just call it discrimination against men

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056534104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

A lot of drivers take up 2 spaces intentionally so as to avoid dings and scratches to their bodywork. Whilst this is extremely annoying when you are looking for scarce spaces, some of the carparks have very tight spacing and encourage this kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

cars are bigger than they were in the 80s, make bigger parking spaces...
    the picture in the paper this morning of the RR in the Q-Park, those spaces are, i believe, narrower than my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Saw Audi A5 parked diagonally across a disabled space, no Disabled pass on the dash.

Reported to the Car Park Attendant.

Audi Clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

An easy and fair way should be to charge per space - take two and you pay for both.

Anan1 wrote: »
    An easy and fair way should be to charge per space - take two and you pay for both.

Or have different width spaces and charge different prices for the smaller/larger space.

I always try to go for a space next to a pillar and park as close as i can to it.

Seen so many people whacking doors in the q-parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Anan1 wrote: »
    I saw this in a car park in Galway city centre a few years ago. No idea how you would enforce it, though. Install CCTV with ANPR everywhere, tie the reg to the ticket and check it when they go to pay? It might be fraught with contention too.

Still, I agree with the principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Great to see the Obnoxious Parking thread back again :D

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Saw Audi A5 parked diagonally across a disabled space, no Disabled pass on the dash.

Audi Clamped.

This I have a problem with !!

A Car illegally in a disabled bay should be removed and not clamped - clamping it simply keeps the car there and the space unavailable for other users who may need/require the disabled bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Or have different width spaces and charge different prices for the smaller/larger space.

I always try to go for a space next to a pillar and park as close as i can to it.

Seen so many people whacking doors in the q-parks.

if you did this you'd have merc owners parking in mini spaces !!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In a sense yeah I agree, sloppy parking is a fecking scourge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yes.

And if your car is too big for one space, you should pay double the parking fee.

Also punish rude parking: for example, parking on the pedestrian walkways ibetween the parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

stovelid wrote: »
    And if your car is too big for one space, you should pay double the parking fee.
    if thats directed at me, i agree, i just drove back out. i have enough issues keeping my car pristine without having to squeeze in between two badly parked cars into a space thats also narrower than the width of my car.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    This I have a problem with !!

A Car illegally in a disabled bay should be removed and not clamped - clamping it simply keeps the car there and the space unavailable for other users who may need/require the disabled bay.

AFAIK its not easy to remove a car in a multistorey without the risk of damaging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Or this 2.06mins in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, in the UK they're getting rid of clamping on private land, so over there it's state enforced anarchy, park like a complete dildo and no one can do anything about it.
    It's the same here, only caused more by sloppiness, apathy, stupidity, arrogance, laziness and unwillingness to do anything about it rather than anything else
    And I don't see it changing any time soon.
    It's like having Homer Simpson in charge of safety at a nuclear power plant, best not to think about it...
    Seriously, I see what's going on, I shake my head and sigh, but it's not worth considering it any further.
    The only thing that could be done would be some kind of thread where this sort of parking could be posted for us to have a good laugh at, wonder if that's been done already...:cool::p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I hate carparks! Inconsiderate careless morons whacking doors into cars parked next to them, my number one pet hate!!

Personally I wouldn't have the neck to take up 2 spaces and certainly wouldn't dare take a disabled spot, but I am choosy about what space to take, where possible.
    Try to park next to a pillar / wall, thereby halving the chances of hassle. Definitely avoid MPVs SUV's and anything that looks like the owner doesn't give a toss (that can leave you with few options!)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

i think it should be at the discretion of whomever owns the land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It'd be dead easy for your local Tesco (or whoever) to make the decision to put those really hard to remove stickers on any inconsiderately parked cars - taking two spaces, in a disabled space without a badge, in a parent & child space without a child, parked up on the footpath etc.

Nobody has the balls to implement it, so I certainly don't see them clamping/fining their badly parked customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I agree with joeA3. I am sick of getting my doors wacked. The spaces are designed too small. If a car park is not busy, I will take 1 ½ spaces in a quiet area, but I still get some idiot parking next to me.
    The fine should be for door wackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Audi Clamped.

Not everyone that needs a disabled spot has one of those blue slips. I had knee surgery recently and due to this needed a disabled spot for a few weeks but i don't have one of the blues slips because my condition is only temporary.

Also on the bad parkers and door dingers, i will purposely park extremely close to other cars parked poorly (drive 4x4 so have side steps so any attempted door dings will damage their door). I will get out my passenger door if necessary. It is selfish when parking is is demand, but like said above spaces are small and people don't want their cars to be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

When parking in a supermarket carpark, I will with full intention, park in an area of the car park that would be less frequented, shall we say. And whilst parking, and I will not now or at any other time in the future apologise for this, I will use 4 spaces!!! cos it's my car!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mugser wrote: »
    When parking in a supermarket carpark, I will with full intention, park in an area of the car park that would be less frequented, shall we say. And whilst parking, and I will not now or at any other time in the future apologise for this, I will use 4 spaces!!! cos it's my car!!

No soup for you!

4429194820_99797a22ee_z.jpg?zz=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You are not alone.

Unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Funnily enough I always park behind a car like this. Most of the time when I return some has also parked at the other end and blocked the car in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

-Chris- wrote: »
    It'd be dead easy for your local Tesco (or whoever) to make the decision to put those really hard to remove stickers on any inconsiderately parked cars - taking two spaces, in a disabled space without a badge, in a parent & child space without a child, parked up on the footpath etc.

Nobody has the balls to implement it, so I certainly don't see them clamping/fining their badly parked customers.

Funny how they have the balls to implement a policy whereby they clamp people for parking their car in one shopping centre and then walking across to another shopping centre on the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

How is a shopping centre supposed to enforce a fine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Jimdagym wrote: »
    How is a shopping centre supposed to enforce a fine?
    Same as a private clamping firm.

In fairness you are on their land though

Advertisement