Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Robdude wrote: »
    Personally, I think everyone's support of piracy and the objection to associated laws that go with it, is disgusting.

Just because you *want* to have some piece of media; you are not entitled to it. This seems like such a basic concept to me. It's a very simple question of right or wrong. It costs TIME and MONEY to produce media. Mooching off of other people that are supporting those people is wrong. Morally wrong. You can argue all day that it's not technically stealing - but it is still illegal, still immoral, and splitting hairs over which laws it breaks is nothing but a strawman argument.

People who create content can CHOOSE to give it away. You can do that. Go and make a movie with your own 10 million euro and give it away. Nobody is stopping you. Make your own web comic and allow everyone in the world to access it, reproduce it, sell it, claim it as their own, if you want. You can do that.

Your rights aren't be infringed upon.

But why should other content creators NOT be able to protect their intellectual property? Because you'd rather not pay them? Well, I'd rather not pay for a lot of things - but that doesn't make it right.

With minimal effort - we could curb 90% of illegal piracy that is currently common place. And the only good reason NOT to do this is that people enjoy pirating stuff.

But whatever. As long as you can download new songs for your iPod without paying; who cares, right?
    Robdude, you are not getting the point. And I dont think you are informed enough about the subject or the fears that are driving the main conversation here. I know most of this has already been said by others but I'll make my point anyways :D
    The reality is that this is not about IP, its not about people being able to get all the content they want for free (I mean that is nice and all but its not what this is about). If you read through what people, inc myself, are talking about you will see fear, fear about the internet and its future. These laws that we are worried about are not bringing legislation to plug a gaping whole, no they are actually changing the targets of these laws and thus giving the companies the ability to shut down websites (regardless of their size or content) without proper judicial procedure. It also changes the target of the laws from you and me (the people who for example have uploaded some copyrighted material) to the websites them selves. So instead of it being my fault that I uploaded a screener of the new Batman film to youtube.com and making me liable, now youtube.com is also liable and could be shut down for a single infringement. Moreover it makes linking copyrighted material illegal.... emm how will Google.com get around that one?
    Why do you think that this list of companies against SOPA and PIPA numbers in the 65+? A google.com website and movement I might add.
    If you are interested in getting more info watch the 2 vids below, they are not too long but very informative. But ignore piracy, people will defend the right of piracy to go on are actually few and far between. Most people know what they (lol well ... more like we, cause I do get stuff now and then myself) are doing when it comes to piracy is illegal and while it wont ever go away as the availability and convenience of content goes up and the price goes down piracy will continue to slow down.
    "The best way to fight piracy is to provide a better service"

Oh and I just spotted this from John Naughton at the Guardian, well worth a read if you want to know more about SOPA and PIPA
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/22/sopa-pipa-johhn-naughton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

yammycat wrote: »
    like 90% of the population

90% fail...............................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

bealtine wrote: »

LOL
    Just read that, and I can confirm They are losing sales with my piracy. This thread amazes me. I openly admit I am stealing media, I know it is wrong, but we are all involved. That makes it right,

Anyway, Tinker tailer Soldier Spy, I could rent it or buy it and support the media industry, but I could download it for free.. A difficult decision, OK I will download the Bluray version with subtitles. If I like the film that much I promise to rent or buy it.

Bollox

Anyway starting downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sherlock is passing this off to the courts when its his job to drive comprehensive legislation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

44leto wrote: »
    LOL
    Just read that, and I can confirm They are losing sales with my piracy. This thread amazes me. I openly admit I am stealing media, I know it is wrong, but we are all involved. That makes it right,

Anyway, Tinker tailer Soldier Spy, I could rent it or buy it and support the media industry, but I could download it for free.. A difficult decision, OK I will download the Bluray version with subtitles. If I like the film that much I promise to rent or buy it.

Bollox

Anyway starting downloading.

Tread amazes me too.
    Why do people have to justify, twist or mask what they do? ... everyone downloads people! :rolleyes: ... you're getting it for free. call a spade a spade.

I hate all this shite of "well people like to try before buying" ... would you ever go and fuck off :pac: ... best ones are the debates about stealing vs copyright infringement :rolleyes: ... YOU GOT SOMETHING FOR FREE YOU SURE AS FUCK DIDNT PAY FOR IT! Again, call a spade a spade.

Threads like these just make me question the mentality of the average person in this world. Are people that morally justifying? That no one can admit to doing anything wrong. No matter how small. That it has to be twisted or justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't view it as wrong. I really couldn't give a **** if I'm stealing. I'm not paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Shouting that your calling a spade a spade means nothing when you clearly have no idea why people are so freaked out by the SOPA, PIPA, ACTA or this Irish SOPA law. Its not about downloading and most people who are informed know this. Its about the content industry and their possible massive control over the internet. Its about the changes that will take place if these kinds of laws are passed.

If you want to be informed have a look at my earlier post, look at the 2 vids there. 30 mins and you might grasp what some of the concern is.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76655292&postcount=93

Personally, like most people I know and most here I would assume, downloading free stuff is partly downloading stuff cause you can (I mean how many times have you downloaded something and not even watched/used it), partly about not being willing to pay €50-€60 for a game or €100 upwards for a season of one TV series which turns out to be sh!t when its free and partly cause most of the time its easier to just download it. However, many of my friends are moving over to Netflix cause its cheap, good quality and always available. The piracy issue is mute when services are provided like Netflix. As I said earlier "The best way to fight piracy is to provide a better service"

Please guys, get back on topic. Piracy is a dead donkey, its not a concern and should not be. the real issue is the shifts in power and responsibility with these laws and the potential for misuse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jev/N wrote: »
    As already pointed out in the first page, this is contrary to the Court of Justice EU decision is the Belgian case of SABAM v Scarlett.

It's a non-runner.

The legislation will be brought in but the likelihood is that the application will be highly restricted due to the EU court's ruling.

The only reason this is even being reported so much in mainstream media is due to the immense lobbying by the recording industries and that they are scaremongering

How are Eircom allowed to block access to the pirate bay then?
    courts in the Netherlands recently ruled that two ISP's must block access to it as well, as well in finland, denmark, italy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the point is these laws are worse then the problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

LighterGuy wrote: »
    best ones are the debates about stealing vs copyright infringement :rolleyes: ... YOU GOT SOMETHING FOR FREE YOU SURE AS FUCK DIDNT PAY FOR IT! Again, call a spade a spade.

I suppose there's no difference between somebody walking into town and stabbing somebody and killing an intruder in your home with the knife they brought. Sure it's all murder, let's call a spade a space. :rolleyes:

Simple fact is you're wrong.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its being snuck through this month.

If you thought the defamation laws made the Irish internet "difficult"... this will kill us off.

Please help, particularly on Twitter (@Devore is my username there) and we hope to be doing something about it on Boards too (currently planning).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Have sent e-mails to lots of TDs particularly ''EMI Sherlock''. Willing to gamble thousands of jobs at not cost to himself. I think people should at least e-mail their local TD about this.

Unfortunately my local FG TD doesn't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Whatever about the recession and all that,but if something like that came in There would be a national emergency called because of the riots it would incur.

Not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

In related news it seems that the arrogance of the MPAA knows no bounds - http://torrentfreak.com/white-house-petitioned-to-investigate-mpaa-bribery-120122/

When you pirate a Hollywood movie you can be happy in the knoweledge that none of your hard-earned money has been used to prop up the state of Israel.

squod wrote: »

Unfortunately my local FG TD doesn't speak English.

Only does "doublespeak"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

I sent a number if emails to Sean Sherlock regarding this when it was first mentioned a few months back. I pointed out the EU law, digital downloads, ect and asked why was it that the Irish government was lobbying on behalf of private companies to help protect profits and restrict access to the Internet. I asked him would they allow sites such as Flickr to be removed as there are numerous copyrighted images on the site or if they would take in google, yahoo, bing, etc which offer easied access to copyright material than any other site. I asked him to provide me with documents/proof that could link the fall of CDs with piracy.

I've yet to receive a reply.

Ive also yet to receive a reply, I pointed the same things out to him. I also pointed out that the entertainment industry is at the center of creating the file sharing software. Check out these videos by JeepersMedia, there is a lot of truth and facts backing up what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS5rSvZXe8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ

Also, other links:
    EMI Sues Irish State For Not Implementing Piracy Blocking Provisions

US Threatened To Blacklist Spain For Not Implementing Site Blocking Law

DeVore wrote: »
    Its being snuck through this month.

If you thought the defamation laws made the Irish internet "difficult"... this will kill us off.

Please help, particularly on Twitter (@Devore is my username there) and we hope to be doing something about it on Boards too (currently planning).

DeV.

We are starting to get organized, emailing TDs is pointless as they don't know how to use that new fangled stuff anyway. which is the main reason EMI/IRMA can get stupid laws onto the books...
    The main point of contact so far is just a Facebook group but we need a website or a central forum on here, as the efforts are very disorganized as yet.

DRI is the most authoritative voice at present and IrelandOffline will join in too and help to organize and coordinate responses. PM me if there's anyway I can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

bealtine wrote: »
    Only does "doublespeak"?

John Kenny, Father Ted. Episode where they sing my lovely horse? That's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Stopping SOPA and other legislation like it would be more effective if there were mass boycotts of the companies that support it.

here are some of them:

1-800 Contacts, Inc.
    1-800-PetMeds
    2b1 Inc
    3M Company
    ABRO Industries, Inc.
    Acushnet Company
    adidas America
    Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed)
    Allen Russell Photograph
    Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
    Alliance of Visual Artists (AVA)
    Altria Client Services
    American Apparel and Footwear Association
    American Association of Independent Music (A2IM)
    American Board of Internal Medicine
    American Federation of Musicians
    American Gramaphone LLC
    American Made Alliance
    American Mental Health Counselors Association
    American Photographic Artists
    American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
    American Society of Media Photographers
    American Society of Picture Professionals
    American Watch Association
    Anatoly Pronin Photography
    Andrea Rugg Photography
    Anti-Counterfeiting and Piracy Initiative (ACAPI)
    Applied DNA Sciences
    Art Holeman Photography
    Association of American Publishers (AAP)
    Association of Equipment Manufacturers
    Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP)
    Association of Test Publishers
    AstraZeneca plc
    Australian Medical Council
    Autodesk, Inc.
    Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association
    Baker & Taylor Ent.
    Bay State Psychological Associates
    Beachbody, LLC
    Beam Global Spirits & Wine
    Blue Sky Studios, Inc.
    Bose Corporation
    Braasch Biotech LLC
    Brian Stevenson Photography
    Brigid Collins Family Support Center
    Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)
    Burberry
    C. F. Martin & Co., Inc.
    Callaway Golf Company
    Cascade Designs Incorporated
    Caterpillar Inc.
    Caveon, LLC
    CBS Corporation
    Cengage Learning
    Center for Credentialing & Education
    Center Stage Photography
    CFA Institute
    Chanel USA
    Christopher Semmes Photography
    Church Music Publishers Association
    CMH Images
    Coach
    Coalition Against Counterfeiting and Piracy (CACP)
    Columbia Sportswear Company
    Comcast Corporation
    Commercial Photo Design
    Commercial Photographers International
    Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System
    Consumer Healthcare Products Association
    Copyright Alliance
    Copyright Clearance Center (CCC)
    Coty Inc.
    Council of Fashion Designers of America
    Country Music Association
    CropLife America
    Cross-Entertainment LLC
    CSA Group
    CVS Caremark
    D'Addario & Company, Inc.
    Dan Sherwood Photography
    Danita Delimont Stock Photography
    Dayco Products, LLC
    Deluxe Entertainment Services Group
    Dennyfoto
    Derek DiLuzio Photography
    DeVaul Photography
    Direct Selling Association (DSA)
    Directional Insight
    Distefano Enterprises Inc.
    Doriguzzi Photographic Artistry
    Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
    Dolce & Gabbana USA, INC.
    Dollar General Corporation
    Don Grall Photography
    Dunford Architectural Photography
    Eagle Rock Entertainment
    Ed McDonald Photography
    Educational & Industrial Testing Service
    Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Electronic Components Industry Association (ECIA)
    Eli Lilly and Company
    Englebert Photography
    Entertainment Software Association (ESA)
    ERAI, Inc.
    Eric Meola Studio Inc
    Evidence Photographers International Council
    Ex Officio
    Exxel Outdoors
    FAME Publishing Co., LLC.
    FAME Recording Studios
    Far Bank Enterprises
    Fashion Business Incorporated
    Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy
    Fender Musical Instrument Company
    Footwear Distributors & Retailers of America (FDRA)
    Ford Motor Company
    Fortune Brands, Inc.
    Fred J. Lord Photography
    GAR Associates
    Gelderland Productions, L.L.C.
    Gemvision Corporation
    Gibson Guitar Corp.
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Gospel Music Association
    Governors America Corp.
    Graduate Management Admission Council
    Graphic Artists Guild
    Greeting Card Association (GCA)
    Greg Nikas Photography
    Guru Denim
    H.S. Marketing & Design, Inc.
    Harley-Davidson Motor Company
    HarperCollins Publishers
    Harry Fox Agency
    Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
    ICM Distributing Company, Inc.
    IDS Publishing
    IEC Electronics corp.
    Images Plus
    Imaging Supplies Coalition (ISC)
    Independent Distributors of Electronics Association (IDEA)
    INgrooves
    Innate-gear
    International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition (IACC)
    International Trademark Association (INTA)
    IPC-Association Connecting Electronics Industries
    Ira Montgomery Photography
    J.S. Grove Photography
    James Drug Inc.
    Jaynes Gallery
    JCPage Photography
    Jean Poland Photography
    Jeff Stevensen Photography
    John Fulton Photography
    John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
    Johnson & Johnson
    Juicy Couture, Inc
    Julien McRoberts Photography
    K&R Photographics
    kate spade
    Kekepana International Services
    Kenneth Garrett, photographer for National Geographic
    Killing Jar Productions LLC
    Lacoste USA
    Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
    Lexmark International, Inc.
    Light Perspectives
    Linda Olsen Photography
    Little Dog Records
    Liz Claiborne, Inc
    L'Oréal USA
    Lucky Brand Jeans
    LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
    Macmillan
    Major League Baseball
    Marcia Andberg Associates LLC
    Mark Niederman Photography
    Marmot
    Marona Photography
    McLain Photography Inc
    Merck & Co., Inc.
    Messy Face Designs, Inc.
    Michael Stern Photography
    MicroRam Electronics, Inc.
    Minter Works of Art
    Mira Images
    Monster Cable Products, Inc.
    Moose’s Photos
    Morningstar Films LLC
    Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA)
    MotionMasters
    Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association
    MPA - The Association of Magazine Media
    Mr. Theodor Feibel (sole proprietor)
    Music Managers Forum-U.S.
    Nashville Songwriters Association International
    Natalie Neckyfarow Actor/Dancer/Singer
    National Association of Broadcasters
    National Association of Manufacturers
    National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM)
    National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)
    National Basketball Association (NBA)
    National Board for Certified Counselors
    National Board for Certified Counselors Foundation
    National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)
    National Football League (NFL)
    National Music Publishers' Association (NMPA)
    National Retail Federation (NRF)
    NBCUniversal
    Nervous Tattoo Inc., dba Ed Hardy
    New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.
    New Era Cap Co Inc
    New Levels Ent. Co. LLC
    News Corporation
    Next Decade Entertainment, Inc.
    NHL Enterprises, L.P.
    Nicholas Petrucci, Artist, LLC
    Nike, Inc.
    Nintendo of America Inc.
    Nissle Fine Art Photography
    North Dakota Pharmacists Association
    North Dakota Pharmacy Service Corporation
    Oakley, Inc.
    One Voice Recordings
    OpSec Security, Inc.
    Outdoor Industry Association
    Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI)
    Outdoor Research, Inc
    Pacific Component Xchange, Inc.
    Party Killer Films LLC
    Pearson Clinical Assessment
    Peavey Electronics Corporation
    Perry Ellis International
    Personal Care Products Council
    Peter C. Brandt, Architectural and Fine Art Photography
    Peter Hawkins Photography, Inc.
    Petzl America
    Pfizer Inc.
    PGA of America
    Philip Morris International
    Photojournalist Dave Bartruff
    Picture Archive Council of America (PACA)
    Pigfactory Music
    PING
    PNW Images
    Premier League
    Production Music Association (PMA)
    Professional Photographers of America
    Quality Float Works, Inc.
    Raging Waters Music
    Ralph Lauren Corporation
    Ramsay Corporation
    Rebel Photo
    Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
    Red4 Music/Doogs Rock Inc
    Red Wing Shoe Company
    Reebok International Ltd.
    Reed Elsevier Inc.
    Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA)
    Revlon
    Richard Flutie Photography
    Rite Aid
    Robin Davis Photography, Inc.
    Rodger Scott Craig, a member of Liverpool Express, The Merseybeats, Fortune, Harlan
    Cage, 101 South, and Mtunz Media
    Roger Smith Photography Services
    Rolex Watch USA Inc.
    Romance Writers of America (RWA)
    Rosetta Stone Inc.
    Saddle Creek
    Sage Studios LLC
    Sam D'Amico Photography
    Schneider Electric
    Sean McGinty Photography
    Secret Sea Visions (Photography)
    SESAC, Inc.
    SG Industries, Inc.
    Shure Incorporated
    SIGMA Assessment Systems
    Six Degrees Records
    Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council
    SMC Entertainment
    SMT Corp.
    SoBe Entertainment
    Society of Sport & Event Photographers
    Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)
    Sony Electronics Inc.
    Sony Music Entertainment
    Sony Pictures Entertainment
    Soul Appeal Records and Music
    SoundExchange
    Southern Gothic LLC
    Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
    SPI (The Plastics Industry Trade Association)
    Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association
    Sports Rights Owners Coalition
    Spring Fever Productions LLC
    Spyder Active Sports, Inc
    Stenbakken Photography
    Stephen Dantzig Photography
    Stock Artist Alliance
    Stuart Weitzman Holdings, LLC
    Student Photographic Society
    Studio 404
    SunRise Solar Inc.
    Taylor Glenn Photographs
    Taylor Guitars
    Taylor Made Golf Company, Inc.
    Tednologies, Inc.
    The Cambridge Don
    The Collegiate Licensing Company/IMG College
    The Donath Group, Inc.
    The Dow Chemical Company
    The Estee Lauder Companies
    The McGraw-Hill Companies
    The Music People! Inc.
    The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
    The Recording Academy (National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences)
    The Timberland Company
    The Walt Disney Company
    Tiffany & Co.
    Time Warner Inc.
    Tony Bullard Photography
    Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc.
    TRA Global
    Tricoast Worldwide
    Trio Productions, Inc. / Songscape Music,
    Twist & Shout, Inc.
    U.S. Chamber of Commerce
    Ultimate Fighting Championship
    Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
    Universal Music Group
    Uniweld Products Inc.
    VF Corporation
    Viacom
    Vibram USA, Inc
    Virtual Chip Exchange USA, Inc.
    Voltage Pictures, LLC
    W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.
    Walcott Studio, LLC
    Wal-Mart
    Warner Music Group
    Wendy Kaveney Photography
    Western Psychological Services
    Westmorland Images, LLC
    Wild & Associates, Inc.
    Wild Eye Photos LLC
    William Sutton Photography
    Willis Music
    WindLegends Ink LLC
    Winestem Company
    Winslow Research Institute
    Wolfe Video
    Wolverine World Wide, Inc.
    Woolrich, Inc.
    World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.
    Xerox Corporation
    Zippo Manufacturing Company
    Zumba Fitness, LLC

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    John Kenny, Father Ted. Episode where they sing my lovely horse? That's him.

I know Jon Kenny personally, he does speak something approximating to English, this I can assure you...obviously you don't mean *THE* Jon Kenny but...

I know those types of TDs, all this internet is doubletalk to them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I suppose there's no difference between somebody walking into town and stabbing somebody and killing an intruder in your home with the knife they brought. Sure it's all murder, let's call a spade a space. :rolleyes:

Simple fact is you're wrong.

how in the blue hell can you make that comparison to downloading? :confused:

you alright mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

90% of you are probably gonna want to kill me but I support the crackdown on pirate materials but not sites that are used by pirates. I know someone who used Limewire to send an audition tape to america before and Limewire was a good service that shouldn't have been shut down, but maybe there should have been stricter regulations on the pirate materials on limewire.

I currently stream from Vivo and sometimes Muzu for my music via 3G, I dont download anything legally or illegally.

I have to say though I will never buy a DVD where I pay money to get a dvd and they dare to put ads on it. We need legslation to ban advertising on dvds and in cinemas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Who defines a pirate website ?

youtube will at any given time contain reams of copyrighted material , one example being chart videos, even whole films have been uploaded in a series of shot videos, facebook too

what about google ads ?
    if they link to dodgy sites will google be blocked ?

or search results, will google.ie have to guarantee that it doesn't link to dodgy sites ?

look at twitter in recent UK court injunctions, I'm sure there are copyright implications there too

EU allows free movement of goods and services,
    http://gutenberg.net.au/ - this should be blocked because the copyright rules in Oz are different to here

let's block archive.org , bound to be something dodgy there.

Evey month someone on boards asks about buying windows at 1/10 the regular price. It's always a dodgy website. US law allows draconian punishments for fraud (it's not just 5 years) up to 20 years IIRC and I can't remember any concerted campaign against such sites that yielded extraditions. In fact since about the only way to pay is via paypal or credit card making the payment company liable in cases of blatant fraud might be much easier.

But google, paypal & co. employ a LOT of people here...

If only the same level of interest was paid to road safety where law enforcement is random
    http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2010/Vehicle-Speed-Survey-Shows-Mixed-Results/
    1,296 articulated vehicles were also monitored during the Free Speed Survey to determine their compliance levels with the posted speed limits on different road types. ... The report found that 65% of articulated vehicles observed on rural roads were speeding

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Excluding people involved in live music, ( and artists who don't pay tax here ), how many people are actually employed in the distribution of downloadable content in Ireland ?

How much of the down turn in media sales are caused by people moving to grey imports and play.com and itunes and a reaction to chart music ?

There are demographic shifts, or supporters of chart music staying away in droves.
    http://www.marketingcharts.com/direct/older-music-acts-drive-us-touring-revenue-15886/
    In 2011, the lead singers for eight of the 20 top-grossing US live acts from 2000-2009 will be 60 or older.
    In 2010 only 6% of the top 20 revenue came from lead singers in their 30's or younger.

How many people are employed here or how many jobs the IDA would like to get here are in companies who have campaigned against SOPA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Who defines a pirate website ?

youtube will at any given time contain reams of copyrighted material , one example being chart videos, even whole films have been uploaded in a series of shot videos, facebook too

what about google ads ?
    if they link to dodgy sites will google be blocked ?

or search results, will google.ie have to guarantee that it doesn't link to dodgy sites ?

look at twitter in recent UK court injunctions, I'm sure there are copyright implications there too

EU allows free movement of goods and services,
    http://gutenberg.net.au/ - this should be blocked because the copyright rules in Oz are different to here

let's block archive.org , bound to be something dodgy there.

Evey month someone on boards asks about buying windows at 1/10 the regular price. It's always a dodgy website. US law allows draconian punishments for fraud (it's not just 5 years) up to 20 years IIRC and I can't remember any concerted campaign against such sites that yielded extraditions. In fact since about the only way to pay is via paypal or credit card making the payment company liable in cases of blatant fraud might be much easier.

But google, paypal & co. employ a LOT of people here...

If only the same level of interest was paid to road safety where law enforcement is random
    http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2010/Vehicle-Speed-Survey-Shows-Mixed-Results/

Since you've linked to all of those offending sites, you might as well add Boards.ie to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Stopping SOPA and other legislation like it would be more effective if there were mass boycotts of the companies that support it.

here are some of them:

where did you get that list?

i seen one the other day that was far smaller & two companies that i remembered from it aren't even on the list you gave

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

GarIT wrote: »
    90% of you are probably gonna want to kill me but I support the crackdown on pirate materials but not sites that are used by pirates. I know someone who used Limewire to send an audition tape to america before and Limewire was a good service that shouldn't have been shut down, but maybe there should have been stricter regulations on the pirate materials on limewire.

I currently stream from Vivo and sometimes Muzu for my music via 3G, I dont download anything legally or illegally.

I have to say though I will never buy a DVD where I pay money to get a dvd and they dare to put ads on it. We need legslation to ban advertising on dvds and in cinemas.

This law isn't about preventing piracy at all - that's just the guise to have it voted in by white haired luddites who hear "piracy" and say to themselves "well that's bad." People passing this legislation will, by and large, know nothing of the scope of the internet as a platform for self expression and communication. They are pretty much ignorant of internet culture.

There's an excellent blog post by Irish professor of Law in UCD, Adrian Weckler, that demonstrates just how loosely worded this piece of legislation is.
    The clear implication from his interview with Sean Sherlock is that the proposed measures will be lacking in any real detail, leaving it entirely up to the judges as to what types of blocking might emerge. (Possibly going beyond web blocking to also target hosting and other services.) This ambiguity - as well as jeopardising fundamental rights - will create intolerable uncertainty for businesses such as Google who might find themselves at risk of business threatening and unpredictable injunctions and will certainly deter others from setting up in Ireland. Instead, any action should only take place by primary legislation which the Oireachtas would have a chance to scrutinise and debate.

...more

Don't think for a second this law is about combatting piracy. It's not. Not even a tiny little bit. If you value freedom of speech and self expression, you should be strongly opposed to this. Don't be deceived.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Since you've linked to all of those offending sites, you might as well add Boards.ie to that list.
    Et voilá

• Advertisement

Gman1 wrote: »
    I sent a number if emails to Sean Sherlock regarding this when it was first mentioned a few months back. I pointed out the EU law, digital downloads, ect and asked why was it that the Irish government was lobbying on behalf of private companies to help protect profits and restrict access to the Internet. I asked him would they allow sites such as Flickr to be removed as there are numerous copyrighted images on the site or if they would take in google, yahoo, bing, etc which offer easied access to copyright material than any other site. I asked him to provide me with documents/proof that could link the fall of CDs with piracy.

I've yet to receive a reply.

Ive also yet to receive a reply, I pointed the same things out to him. I also pointed out that the entertainment industry is at the center of creating the file sharing software. Check out these videos by JeepersMedia, there is a lot of truth and facts backing up what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS5rSvZXe8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ

Also, other links:
    EMI Sues Irish State For Not Implementing Piracy Blocking Provisions

US Threatened To Blacklist Spain For Not Implementing Site Blocking Law

About to send this:

Dear Mr. Sherlock,
    From the various comments you have made on the upcoming law which will force ISPs to block access to certain websites you have repeatedly stated that you have emailed/phoned companies such as EMI to personally assure them that you are doing your damnedest to protect their interests. Yet you won't show the same decency to the average Irish citizen and take two minutes out of your day to answer any of the numerous emails sent by myself and others regarding this law.
    It's nice to know that elected officials can make the time to assure big business that their best interests are being looked after but you don't have the decency to take 30 seconds of your time to send a dimple email saying that you are considering all aspects of the issue.
    I have on numerous times tried calling but have yet to be put through to you a d the promises of a call back have yet to be followed through.
    If I do not receive a reply to this email I will be visiting your office in person to discuss this issue. I will also be contacting newspapers and informing them of your lack of response to anyone who has contacted you to point out the serious faults in this law which will destroy our emerging tech industry.

Yours

Advertisement