Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Berlin. Need advice.

Options
  • 09-01-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hey TT

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Berlin for the summer months (May to Aug) and may stay on depending on further college acceptances. But the problem is we don't really know how to go about getting jobs and accommodation. We are lucky in one sense as my girlfriends family will also be living in Berlin.
    She has a high level of the German language, however I unfortunately have none. I am quite worried about finding a job without the language. I would really appreciate some advice or direction from anyone in the know. I have a vast experience in film making, editing, bar and electrical work. But I wouldn't mind scrubbing, cleaning or anything of the sorts.

Regarding accommodation, does anyone know if renting for this short period of time is possible? Is it worth it? Or would we be better off staying in a hostel?

Thanks guys,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Hey TT
    Heehee, when copy and pasting, don't forget to change the name of the forum you're writing on ;)

You could try the Filmstudios in Babelsberg, it's about a 40 minute commute from the city centre (Friedrichstrasse) or ask in any of the many Irish Pubs in Berlin (seeing as you already joined TT, you'll find a list of most Irish pubs there ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

These guys are good for short term accomodation:

http://www.ferienwohnung-zimmer-berlin.de/en/search_request.php?new_lang_url=%2Fen%2Fsearch_request.php

Maybe stay a few weeks someplace so you can get a feel for the areas and neighbourhoods.

Nothing worse than finding an apartment blind and then realising theres a crack den downstairs :D

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/de/finden/wohnen/index.jsp

Imobilienscout is pretty good for finding long term accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Muse007

Try this website:
    http://www.wg-gesucht.de/wg-zimmer-in-Berlin.8.0.0.0.html

I had good experience with renting and staying in other people's places (also called: bed 'n'coffee). You have to choose within the drop-down menu "nur Tagesmiete" The total price for 2 people is between 20 - 40 EUR.
    Usually you get free WiFi, kitchen + washingmachine may be used for free, you own (appartement)key inclusive.
    It is much cosier to have your own room and the people you live with are usually very friendly and helpful. If you're lucky you get a good feeling how to live in a typical Berlin old building
    Best areas are: Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg, Mitte, Kreuzberg - Neukölln.

Good luck and more importantly .. Have fun :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ClaraEstela

M

Advertisement