Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress question

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Can any help me figure out how the following websites frontpage was built?

http://sportforbusiness.com/

Specifically how did they get the roll over effects.

Is it just a fancy static frontpage?

I see the page is broken into 10 sections
    homeone, hometwo etc.
    how did they set up the content in the backend for each section?

Just started to build my own themes and really like the look of that homepage.

Any help or direction would be great.

thanks!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

They used wordpress for that website..and as for the roll over effect, its just a simple jquery.Check the source code, its easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Taking a look at the source on that site it seems to be both a mix of css and table based. IMO the code is very messy, and not a good example to follow from.

Rollovers at the top are purely css rollovers. EDIT: (When the guy above me posted I re-read your post and as he has said it is done with a jquery)

Without actually seeing the PHP files for the homepage it's hard to tell what way they have done it. They could have done querying posts from certain categories, could be custom fields, could be widgets, or could be hardcoded!

EDIT: Looking the source again, they have used widgets for each of the sections.

If I had to give you direction it would be to the wordpress codex, wptuts, wplift, wpcandy, wpbeginners to name but a few! Loads of great resources out there for newcomers of wordpress.

Biggest pointer would be practice makes perfect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Tyler: The site is only using a table for the calendar, i.e the correct way of using tables (for tabular data). The site's structure is made from CSS.

The sections on the page are most likely "hard coded" in but then using custom loops to pull in content from, I don't see any clues of widgets.

The sliders are JQuery.

The code isn't really "messy", it's just it's dynamically generated so looks a bit funky.

It would be quite a doddle to replicate.

Advertisement