Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't Ireland have at least one IMAX screen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Syferus wrote: »
    Size of the city is hardly the defining factor - there's a IMAX screen in the McWane Sciene Center (a sort of science activity center) in Birmingham, Alabama and all it shows are the IMAX branded nature documentaries. Birmingham has a population in the region of 217,000, by the way, and its urban area is far more diffuse than Dublin's.

That IMAX probably only stays open due to the fact its part of the science center.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Giruilla wrote: »
    That IMAX probably only stays open due to the fact its part of the science center.

Screenings regularly have a handful of people, and it's used for special events - the entry to it is a separate fee to entering the rest of the center. The fact is size of the city isn't the defining factor and if costs are what prohibits an IMAX, a simliar sort of set-up would be worth investigating here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Glasgows population is about 1.7m so about 500,000 more than Dublin. Manchester has about half the population of Dublin.

Glasgow is pretty much exactly the same size population wise as Dublin. The city centre is half a million and the population of the metro area is 1.7m. The population of Dublin's metro area is 1.8m. I'm not sure population is the reason for the IMAX's failure or the main obstacle to a new one working.
    I think the side screens down the corridor on the second level might be, at least partly, where the IMAX was.

Pretty sure the side corridor was the original UGC. The lobby/escalator area is what used to be part of the IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Giruilla wrote: »
    Think having an IMAX is a luxury too far for a small city like Dublin. Its only going to get people in during the massive blockbusters, but even then most people would prefer to see it in normal size screen. As far as I know it made feck all money back in the Virgin days and seemed to just have some crappy space or sea documentary on repeat for the whole year. When Cineworld converted they used up all the space where the IMAX used to be, left the old screens and added about 10 more.

read the op again, there are proper blockbusters being released on IMAX now, next years 3 biggest films(if you include Titanic which is debatable) will be on IMAX and it's a shame that the movie lovers of Ireland can't see them in the best way possible without travelling out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well you should have gone to the IMAX here a decade ago because it closed down due to lack of interest. Too late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

due to there being only crappy documentaries and no proper films
    I heard the IMAX was sent up to Belfast and used there, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    read the op again

Easily the most irritating phrase used on boards..
    there are proper blockbusters being released on IMAX now, next years 3 biggest films(if you include Titanic which is debatable) will be on IMAX and it's a shame that the movie lovers of Ireland can't see them in the best way possible without travelling out of the country.

Any idea the amount of money it would take to build this in Dublin? 6 new films, 5 of which look awful, would in no way come near to justifying the risk and investment into a new IMAX cinema in a city with the population of our size. Its an infeasible luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

In toronto it was a part of the cinema,it was a big screen towards the back,I seen avatar and Tron there and I would pay the extra money to see other films in an IMAX here!
    Its more of an investment that I think would pay off.
    Either way I live 40 mins from my local cinema and would gladly travel to London to see TDKR, catch a game at highbury and go for a few jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cineworld in Dublin has very high traffic flow. An IMAX screen there would do great business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Showing what though? 35mm to 70mm blowups with all the grain and detail scrubbed away? That's not real IMAX and I can't imagine many people consistently paying extra to see films that way. How many films have scenes shot in IMAX? TDK, TDKR, Transformers 2, M:I4 - any others? That's 4 films, one of which hasn't even been released yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A lot of recent films post-conveted to IMAX DMR have been very popular at IMAX Waterloo and got booked out weeks in advance. I've seen Inception, Tron, Star Trek, Day the Earth Stood Still there myself. Those first 3 especially looked/sounded fantastic there.

All depends on what would be charged in Ireland/Dublin I guess. Roughly about 15 pounds in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Belfast IMAX closed years ago. The closest to us is Manchester AFAIK.

Showing what though? 35mm to 70mm blowups with all the grain and detail scrubbed away? That's not real IMAX and I can't imagine many people consistently paying extra to see films that way. How many films have scenes shot in IMAX? TDK, TDKR, Transformers 2, M:I4 - any others? That's 4 films, one of which hasn't even been released yet.

tut tut, a mod of "Star Trek" doesn't even know that the last movie was released on IMAX. http://www.imax.com/movies/?view=list&sort=release_date&direction=desc#all

Blockbusters have been released on IMAX since 2002, years after the dublin screen closed down. It's bound to at least have a better chance this time around.

The cost of going to see an IMAX film will put most people off. People are quoting English prices of 15 pound which would be anything from 20-25 euro over here and at that price the market just wouldn't be there. Why would anyone pay more to see the film once on a big screen than they would to own the Blu-Ray?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tut tut, a mod of "Star Trek" doesn't even know that the last movie was released on IMAX. http://www.imax.com/movies/?view=list&sort=release_date&direction=desc#all

Blockbusters have been released on IMAX since 2002, years after the dublin screen closed down. It's bound to at least have a better chance this time around.
    I'm talking about films shot in IMAX, of which there's only 4 that i'm aware of. The last Star Trek had no IMAX sequences, but Abrams is considering shooting some for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The cost of going to see an IMAX film will put most people off. People are quoting English prices of 15 pound which would be anything from 20-25 euro over here and at that price the market just wouldn't be there. Why would anyone pay more to see the film once on a big screen than they would to own the Blu-Ray?
    Well, 15 pounds would be central London prices. I'd imagine a Dublin based IMAX could do it for €15-€16. In general you're talking about 160% the price of a normal peak cinema ticket and then premium seat tickets for a little more.

I think it can be worth it. I'm going to try check out MI4 in the IMAX over the weekend.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well, 15 pounds would be central London prices. I'd imagine a Dublin based IMAX could do it for €15-€16. In general you're talking about 160% the price of a normal peak cinema ticket and then premium seat tickets for a little more.

I think it can be worth it. I'm going to try check out MI4 in the IMAX over the weekend.

When you can get most new release Blu-Rays for 16-18 euro and a normal cinema ticket tor 7-10 euro the price of imax really isn't very appealing and most people will choose not to avail of it considering the price. Add in the fact that there's only a handful of true imax films being released and it really isn't very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its pretty much a gimmick like 3D, vast majority of people aren't going to pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Its pretty much a gimmick like 3D

Nope, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Glasgow is pretty much exactly the same size population wise as Dublin. The city centre is half a million and the population of the metro area is 1.7m. The population of Dublin's metro area is 1.8m. I'm not sure population is the reason for the IMAX's failure or the main obstacle to a new one working.

and glasgows is part of science center too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Thought Antrim Omniplex had an IMAX screen, going by their clever "Omnimaxx" title. Turns out it it's just a large screen! Can't see there being a market for on in Ireland alright, due to our small population! But am definitely for the technology and hope more films are shot in IMAX, and not this 3D rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

"No stadium...no imax...!"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

"No stadium...no imax...!"

;)

.......no underground rail-system.

Call yourselves a city? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Technically not Ireland I know but is there not one in Belfast?

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Manchester has about half the population of Dublin.
    Um no. Within the city limits Manchester has about 30k less people than Dublin and that's only because in the immediate suburbs of Manchester exists the separate city of Salford. (It's a common phenomenon in England as Central London actually consists of the cities of Westminster, London and Southwark.) Adding the greater metropolitan areas of both Manchester and Dublin, Manchester has nearly a million more people.

Alright, so now that we've established that Odeon's iSense is not IMAX, I've split discussion relating to it off into its own thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056591496

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markflynn351

First of all IMAX is not a gimic!

Secondly "an IMAX experience" movie can be in any cinema willing to invest in it. It doesn't have to be like the old one in Parnell Sq (cineworld location).

I have just come from Canada, the birthplace of IMAX ,which they so like to mention ..alot, and saw Inception, Spiderman etc all in a regular theatre with not an enormous screen.

what matters with imax is the quality, the sound!! the experience.
    3D Imax is extremely close to 4D with less hassle and gear.

I kid you not, it is the one way cinemas will start to come back, and boom out of this downloading lark.

EPIC is the only word i can say, EPIC !

and worth every penny.

I used to be one of you 'HD looks the same as SD' people,
    Try watching HD for a month then switching back.

The future and the glory of entertainment is here

all you have to say is the film title ...... and then
    in --->"3D IMAX Experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

3D Imax is extremely close to 4D with less hassle and gear.

Well that certainly is impressive projection technology, I must say.

watching TDKR on IMAX this tuesday, can't bloody wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Basically they don't make any money with Imax, London barely does and they show all the latest movies and regurlary have showings all through the night just keep in business. Dublin can't sustain that amount of business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement