Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't Ireland have at least one IMAX screen?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭

recently I had the pleasure of seeing MI4 on IMAX and I wondered since, why the hell doesn't someone have an IMAX screen by now?

I'd always wanted to see one but wasnt entirely sure what it would be like, I since found out its a very big tall screen in a fairly short room, I was sitting at the back row center and felt it was the best seat in the house, strange at first.

What I was kinda of surprised about is how normal it was, an IMAX screen can be easily part of a big multiplex and is no longer seen as a gimmick, no need for educational rubbish anymore.

It could be a big success in Dublin and/or Cork, the movies out on IMAX in 2012 are potential big earners:

-Titanic
    -Dark Knight Rises
    -The Hobbit
    -Men in Black 3
    -New Spiderman Movie
    -New Underworld Movie
    -John Carter

so there should be a decent stream of new releases on IMAX this year. Also realisically, the screen needs to be big enough to handle non-IMAX shot widescreen scenes without the borders top and bottom to be distracting (remember watching DVD in widescreen on something like a 21" CRT) so I can't see why an IMAX screen can't be used for a non-IMAX movie in times when there is no recent IMAX release.

Of course, I realise there are potential problems.

You need a big and tall room.

The extra expense of IMAX equipment including upgraded sound, a projector able to show a IMAX 3D movie on a massive screen in digital probably isn't cheap, etc.

The problem that Irish people in general are more careful of their spending than ever before, will people accept to spend a little more to cover the IMAX and possibly the 3D surcharges? (i believe that yes, audiences are willing to spend on cinema, cinema hasnt been affected by the recession and 3D is now common)

does anyone believe that an IMAX screen could be sustainable in Ireland or even possibly, a success?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

also, to any mod, you can delete the extra 'screen' in the thread title...

sugarman wrote: »
    There was one in Dublin where Cineworld is now, it lasted all but 2 years. (98' - 00'ish afair)

It's still there & used in cineword, very top floor.. & then some..

Last movie I seen in there was The Inbetweeners as it as so big they used it for every showing of it.

I vaguely remember as a kid in 98' or so going to the IMAX to see a Jurassicparl esque movie & was totally blown away.

Shame it went, but there was obviously no money in it. Dont think much has changed tbh.

but i think times have changed though, major movies are being made with IMAX in mind now, I can't think of one major movie in IMAX between '98-'00, right now, Tintin and MI4 are being shown in IMAX format in Toronto and with Batman and the Hobbit next year getting IMAX treatment, is now the time?

Maybe Cineworld is the wrong location? would a new upgrade be viable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Maybe Cineworld is the wrong location? would a new upgrade be viable?

One of the largest cinema complexes in the largest population centres is the wrong location ? Where else would you go ? Connemara ? If you build it they will come!!!! :P

You have a point maybe - the reason if failed is cause there was nothing on it anyone wanted to see. Also it was expensive if memory serves

One of the largest cinema complexes in the largest population centres is the wrong location ? Where else would you go ? Connemara ? If you build it they will come!!!! :P

You have a point maybe - the reason if failed is cause there was nothing on it anyone wanted to see. Also it was expensive if memory serves

im not familiar with Dublin or cineworld so im not sure where in Dublin Cineworld is or could somewhere else in the city be more viable?

Considering the 2 biggest movies of 2012 are in IMAX format,(3 if you include Titanic which will be massive all over again I feel) cinema lovers will want to see it in the best possible way. Im sure there are many from this forum alone probably considering getting a cheap flight to London next summer just to see The Dark Knight Rises the way it was fully intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

You're right in that at the time IMAX didn't have any true cinematic killer apps, the main films I recall there were short educational ones. I saw that dinosaur film that someone else mentioned above. The film itself was rubbish and rather short but the overall effect was nice. I recall there being a cartoon at the start that was better. Cineworld seems more popular to me now than it did when it was MGM or whatever it was when it had an IMAX so perhaps there's the traffic to support it again, I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

don't think Cineworld's top floor is iMax, nearly sure it's just a big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what about so called lie-max http://dv.com/article/85854 are cinemas running that now here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

There was one in Dublin where Cineworld is now, it lasted all but 2 years. (98' - 00'ish afair)

It's still there & used in cineword, very top floor.. & then some..

Last movie I seen in there was The Inbetweeners as it as so big they used it for every showing of it.

I vaguely remember as a kid in 98' or so going to the IMAX to see a Jurassicparl esque movie & was totally blown away.

Shame it went, but there was obviously no money in it. Dont think much has changed tbh.

Top floor in Cineworld is not IMAX, its just a really big screen. :p

But when there was an IMAX it was barely used, over priced and distorted the image. Now with more movies being made in IMAX format maybe they will reopen the cineworld screen. (its to the left of Cineworld entrance)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Skinfull wrote: »
    Top floor in Cineworld is not IMAX, its just a really big screen. :p

But when there was an IMAX it was barely used, over priced and distorted the image. Now with more movies being made in IMAX format maybe they will reopen the cineworld screen. (its to the left of Cineworld entrance)
    would they not have gotten rid of it or changed it by now or something? Picturing it in my head I can't think of where it is, never went to Cineworld/UGC as it was then when I was young so wouldn't remember it when it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There is/was meant to be one opening in the point village don't know if its going ahead now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think near enough everything that made the Point Village sound cool has been scrapped. IMAX is still very expensive. I considered going to see Sky Monsters 3D with David Attenborough in the IMAX while over in London but it was £20 for a ticket! Bear in mind it's an hour long documentary so that does not represent value for money.
    I'm sure people might be tempted to pay such a price to see the Dark knight Rises on opening day, but in the long run it wouldn't be viable unless costs were kept down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Cineworld Pic Here

This is the entrance to cineworld with the old IMAX entrance to the left. It was remodeled into offices I think but the IMAX area is at the back and up high IIRC.
    Or possibly I'm remembering it wrong with the current cinema entrance being the IMAX entrance and cinema entrance being up a bit under the red LED screens.

Old Cineworld entrance (Virgin? UGC?)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Technically not Ireland I know but is there not one in Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Complete rubbish it was too.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Im sure there are many from this forum alone probably considering getting a cheap flight to London next summer just to see The Dark Knight Rises the way it was fully intended.

Are you kidding me ? People don't want to pay €2 for 3D. You wouldn't fill one plane with people going to London to see a movie. If they opened IMAX again here and charged €20 I reckon it would flop. You'd have to have the price comparable to 3D prices.

Skinfull wrote: »
    Now with more movies being made in IMAX format maybe they will reopen the cineworld screen. (its to the left of Cineworld entrance)

I think it was mothballed. I'm sure they are using that space for something else by now

Edit: Just found this http://www.rte.ie/ten/2000/1008/imax.html
    No new info but thought I would share anyhow.

Edit2: actually more
    http://www.screendaily.com/sheridan-group-closes-dublin-imax/403866.article

Yeah its kind of what I thought - cineworld scrapped it and expanded into it - when cineworld opened originally it didn't have as many screens. I think the side screens down the corridor on the second level might be, at least partly, where the IMAX was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

£16 for MI4 in the BFI IMAX in London. That's not too far off what you'd expect to pay for most west end non-IMAX cinemas and is decent value I think.

I would have paid less for a showing of Inception in one of those lie-max screens which I wouldn't recommend.

Paid £3.50 to see The Dark Knight in the Bangkok IMAX. Now that was good value.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    £16 for MI4 in the BFI IMAX in London. That's not too far off what you'd expect to pay for most west end non-IMAX cinemas and is decent value I think.

I would have paid less for a showing of Inception in one of those lie-max screens which I wouldn't recommend.

Paid £3.50 to see The Dark Knight in the Bangkok IMAX. Now that was good value.

£3.50 ? Loch Ness Monster got you man it was an elaborate ploy!:D

Are you kidding me ? People don't want to pay €2 for 3D. You wouldn't fill one plane with people going to London to see a movie. If they opened IMAX again here and charged €20 I reckon it would flop. You'd have to have the price comparable to 3D prices.

I think it was mothballed. I'm sure they are using that space for something else by now

Edit: Just found this http://www.rte.ie/ten/2000/1008/imax.html
    No new info but thought I would share anyhow.

Edit2: actually more
    http://www.screendaily.com/sheridan-group-closes-dublin-imax/403866.article

Yeah its kind of what I thought - cineworld scrapped it and expanded into it - when cineworld opened originally it didn't have as many screens. I think the side screens down the corridor on the second level might be, at least partly, where the IMAX was.

nope, i know that if i was at home, i'd be tempted to travel over considering The Dark Knight Rises is likely to be amazing! i probably wouldnt bother in the end though and travel to the local cinema 10 mins away!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd really consider going to London to see TDKR. Although I'd rather go to belfast or something. Is theirs up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What I'd be far more interested in seeing in Ireland is the exact opposite, a fully-fledged dollar theater. Anyone that's been to the less tourist-y areas of the States will know how popular those theaters are in areas, particularly ones that schew younger, a university town like Galway or Dublin being the obvious places here. In the midst of a penny pinching time period it would be a big success if they worth their metrics correctly.

There's a opportunity for someone to undercut the cabal of multiplexs currently operating and feed people end of distribution new releases for €1 or, at worst, €1.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I remember going to the world premiere (shown here due to the States being 6 hours behind) of Fantasia 2000 in the IMAX here in Dublin back in 1999. Benefits of being in the industry. The screening was a disaster. Every possible technical malfunction appeared at some point. At the end, one of the Buena Vista heads came in and basically had to fellate the journalists in attendance so they wouldn't crucify the tech. IMAX was too new and there were far too few films to be introduced in such a small market as Ireland. Had it been put off until later, when blockbusters started to pop up in IMAX, it might have stood a better chance. I know I'd certainly pay a bit extra to see the likes of The Dark Knight, Avatar and other such blockbusters in IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Tbh, I've heard of a number of people planning to travel over in the summer as crazy as that sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Think having an IMAX is a luxury too far for a small city like Dublin. Its only going to get people in during the massive blockbusters, but even then most people would prefer to see it in normal size screen. As far as I know it made feck all money back in the Virgin days and seemed to just have some crappy space or sea documentary on repeat for the whole year. When Cineworld converted they used up all the space where the IMAX used to be, left the old screens and added about 10 more.

Renn wrote: »
    Tbh, I've heard of a number of people planning to travel over in the summer as crazy as that sounds.

A number. 5 ? 10?

Follow the logic people. A few film buffs, even a plane load, prepared to fly to London for IMAX does NOT mean the masses will flock to an IMAX here. To be commercially viable it would have to be something the masses a) are interested in and b) are willing to pay a premium for.
    Right now it isn't. Recession etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Giruilla wrote: »
    Think having an IMAX is a luxury too far for a small city like Dublin. .

Glasgows population is about 1.7m so about 500,000 more than Dublin. Manchester has about half the population of Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The only reason for this sudden interest in IMAX is TDK and TDKR. I don't think most people have interest in seeing films upconverted to IMAX. If there was an IMAX cinema here it would do crap business like the last one did.

Don't get me wrong now, I'd love it if there was an IMAX theatre in Dublin, but for it to have any long term prospects there would need to be a lot more films being shot in IMAX. At a time when the whole industry is moving toward digital, I just don't think the current IMAX format has a future. It's awkward and expensive to shoot in, and directors don't want to be switching formats and aspect ratios in the middle of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Glasgows population is about 1.7m so about 500,000 more than Dublin. Manchester has about half the population of Dublin.

Ah here.. first of all that 500,000 would make a huge difference.

The population of Leinster altogether is about 2.5 million. The population of Greater Manchester alone, is about 2.5 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Where did you get that statistic from?, doesn't sound right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

IMAX is brilliant and is getting more and more support by the month, shame the on in Dublin died but it was in the middle of a ****hole area, would of been far better and more financially supportable tied to a large shopping centre... That you could of driven to, rather than in the middle of bad part of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Size of the city is hardly the defining factor - there's a IMAX screen in the McWane Sciene Center (a sort of science activity center) in Birmingham, Alabama and all it shows are the IMAX branded nature documentaries. Birmingham has a population in the region of 217,000, by the way, and its urban area is far more diffuse than Dublin's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement