Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 5,000 have child benefit suspended

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Anyone really surprised by this?

More than 5,600 people have had their child benefit for January suspended for failing to respond to a Department of Social Protection check on details and entitlements

Link:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0106/welfare.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

No, sure isn't half of Nigeria getting Irish Child Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

ThePower11 wrote: »
    And Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Moblie:
    5,672 people have had their child benefit for January suspended for failing to respond to a Department of Social Protection check on details and entitlements.

The Department contacted 63,000 recipients by post last September to confirm that they still reside in Ireland and satisfy the conditions for child benefit.

Any of those people who did not write back within 42 days had their payments suspended - meaning they will have to go without children's allowance this month.

The Department says payments will be reinstated if people provide the requisite information.

Arrears will be paid once entitlement has been confirmed.

The Department says this is part of their ongoing control work to ensure resources go to those who need them most.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Show Time wrote: »
    And Poland.

and UK,

members of a certain 'indigenous people' claiming across the border...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can be fairly confident a large chunk of that number are recently emigrated Irish folk.

God damn mutherfukkin xenophobia starts to grind in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Show Time wrote: »
    And Poland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'd say alot of Irish people are in this too, how many have left for Oz etc and still getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

think_of_the_children.jpg
    Sky King wrote: »
    I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

Not even by surprises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Showtime wrote:
    And Poland.
    And the Roma get the other two thirds. Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

typically irish of the Dept to wait over a month for people to respond ensuring those 5k+ fraudsters get an additional payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭baldbear

Doom wrote: »
    I'd say alot of Irish people are in this too, how many have left for Oz etc and still getting it.

103?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And ye all thought Brutal Joan was doing nothing. Now with the Pensioners as well, she is 2 - 0 up:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Those letters are standard, we got one when our eldest finished school.
    Basically, it said prove she was still in school or we've be cut off. She wasn't, do we were, no biggie. I'd say they are using that as a kinda, look we're doing something message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I dislike how there's non stories started in here just as a way to bring up a certain topic. so child benefit... payments suspended because they didn't respond to a letter... they must be all gone home to Nigeria for the Christmas... they'll be all caught out now... bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Might save us a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ireland without child benefit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I think it will give the respondents time to make fraudulent paperwork and of course they will then get the payments backdated.

42 days is enough time to respond with relevant paperwork...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

As well as all the fordiners who are takin our money, there are also genuine cases.

My mam for example. She has moved house since she started claiming child benefit, therefore didn't get the letter. She only found out about it when she rang the bank to see where the money was and the lady in the phone from the bank told her.

She rang them. She has to change her.address with them by filling out a form and posting it back, over the phone won't do, and then once that's confirmed, she'll be sent the letter again, which she has to return and will then receive her benefit again next month, provided all the above gets done in time.

I understand why they are doing this, but a radio/ tv ad campaign to let people know would have gone amis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

I dislike how there's non stories started in here just as a way to bring up a certain topic. so child benefit... payments suspended because they didn't respond to a letter... they must be all gone home to Nigeria for the Christmas... they'll be all caught out now... bla bla bla
    Well then don't read them threads then, simple really. And by even posting that little rant you are now following this thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what about the people who dont have it but should?

my son was born in october and we registered him soon after. we still havent recieved child benefit

As well as all the fordiners who are takin our money, there are also genuine cases.

My mam for example. She has moved house since she started claiming child benefit, therefore didn't get the letter. She only found out about it when she rang the bank to see where the money was and the lady in the phone from the bank told her.

She rang them. She has to change her.address with them by filling out a form and posting it back, over the phone won't do, and then once that's confirmed, she'll be sent the letter again, which she has to return and will then receive her benefit again next month, provided all the above gets done in time.

I understand why they are doing this, but a radio/ tv ad campaign to let people know would have gone amis.

but when you're collecting child benefit, you bring your little book don't you? which has your name and address on it? which would surely stand out as something you have to change when you move house?
    Well then don't read them threads then, simple really. And by even posting that little rant you are now following this thread. :rolleyes:

it's hard not to, because there's so many of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Tell you what guys,
    The real secret is to find yourself some nigerian girl and give her a baby ... she collects the child benefit, rents cheap from the council... and you unofficially live with her :pac:

I know I make a joke of it. But can you blame anyone for working the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

but when you're collecting child benefit, you bring your little book don't you? which has your name and address on it? which would surely stand out as something you have to change when you move house?
    No. It can be paid into the bank.

I know ours is, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

there are also genuine cases.

She rang them. She has to change her.address with them

The department are not mind readers :confused:

If you change address of course you need to inform them

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No. It can be paid into the bank.

I know ours is, anyway.

hmmm, my sisters isn't. well that'd go somewhat towards forgetting, but still.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

but when you're collecting child benefit, you bring your little book don't you? which has your name and address on it? which would surely stand out as something you have to change when you move house

Paid by bank transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

my children's benefit goes straight into my account.

Re- the letters, they are standard practice, don't see why they're mentioning that now. I'm French, and so I receive these letters at least twice a year, just fill in the form, and off it goes. One letter got lost once, and they stopped our payments, and I let it drag since it was holiday time, etc... so just got it back dated when I came back. They're no big deal, and I have to say the staff that answered my phonecalls for the back dating were really efficient and lovely, that makes a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

hmmm, my sisters isn't. well that'd go somewhat towards forgetting, but still.
    AFAIK, you can choose to collect it. I wasn't aware of this until I heard some piece on the radio yesterday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There was no paperwork to supply, just a form to sign and all they wanted to know was which school did he go to or what GP did he attend (you could choose which info to give). That was it.

Advertisement