Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

only one wrote: »
    It's the exacta weather page from that James madden guy . Google exacta weather. He's a chancer though
    Seeing as you did not use any sort of quotes or links to where you quoted from it reads like YOU are the chancer :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

only one wrote: »
    It's the exacta weather page from that James madden guy . Google exacta weather. He's a chancer though

Ooops! I thought it was you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Yeah a chancer like piers and basterdi
    Vogan is more honest least he does not claim to be a expert,i think the award for biggest chancer is piers as hes making money from it all,
    For a man who claims tobe an expert he hadent a clue what the ao index was about ,to me mt is the best by a mile , but i like vogan as hes a good guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jirafa

Weather forecast: UK
    Headline:

Northern UK occasionally wet and windy. Brighter for southern UK.
    This Evening and Tonight:

Rain over Northern Ireland and the Scotland/England border will ease overnight, with strong winds here following suit. Remaining mostly mild and dry south of this, aside from light rain in western parts, whereas northern Scotland will be dry but frosty.
    Tuesday:

Scotland will be cloudy with rain and increasing winds. Brighter elsewhere than recently, however western UK will be cloudier with a little rain, turning heavy and persistent during the evening.

Updated: 1449 on Mon 26 Dec 2011
    Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Turning windy, showery and colder Wednesday. Stormy in northern UK, with squally wintry showers and some hill snow. Thursday, remaining unsettled and windy. Friday, some bright spells, but rain later.

Updated: 1449 on Mon 26 Dec 2011
    UK Outlook for Saturday 31 Dec 2011 to Monday 9 Jan 2012:

Unsettled weather is set to persist over the New Year, with weekend conditions changeable and often windy with showers or longer spells of rain, especially to the north and west where the rain will occasionally be heavy. It should remain unsettled through the first week or so of January: relatively mild but cloudy periods with some rain will be interspersed with colder, clearer and more showery weather. Western and northwestern regions will continue to see the heaviest, most persistent rain, with occasional gales also likely here. Some hill snow is possible over Scotland, whilst showers in the north are also likely to turn wintry at times. Daytime temperatures will often be near or a little above average, however nights may become a little colder with an increasing risk of frost.

Updated: 1127 on Mon 26 Dec 2011
    UK Outlook for Tuesday 10 Jan 2012 to Tuesday 24 Jan 2012:

Generally unsettled conditions are likely through the period with spells of wind and rain, particularly across northern parts. As a result temperatures will often be around or above average. However, this does not preclude some transient colder spells between weather systems, with frost and fog as well as some snowfall, most likely in the north. Precipitation amounts are likely to be near-normal for much of the UK, but perhaps above average in parts of the north and below average across some southern areas. Sunshine amounts are predicted to be generally near normal, but perhaps rising above average in some southern and eastern areas.

Updated: 1131 on Mon 26 Dec 2011

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_alltext.html

Heading into January
    Posted Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:32:44

The next 10 days look likely to bring mostly above average temperatures, and personally I reckon the mildish conditions will last even longer. There are some differences this morning between the ECM and GFS computer models at 10 days ahead, and the best way to show these is by using the overhead northern hemisphere views which I’ve pasted in below. The GFS model keeps pressure mostly low over the north pole with a zonal flow across the Atlantic at our latitude. The ECM on the other hand builds pressure strongly across the pole by day 10, and although it stays mildish in Britain, there would be the potential for a cold spell (rather than a cold snap which could occur in the normal zonal flow as low pressure systems push east and temporarily bring colder north westerlies before the next system rolls in) to develop in the following couple of weeks, possibly during the second half of January. In my winter forecast I went for average temperatures with a weak bias towards slightly below average temperatures, making this the mildest winter since 2007/08. If I was issuing the forecast today I’d change that to read ‘slightly above’ instead of ‘slightly below’.

g00_240_mslp500arc.png

e240_mslp500_arc.png

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

Not looking good for any snow in Jan...not a happy camper now...

• Advertisement

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Yeah a chancer like piers and basterdi

Ah sheet!

Last year I thought Joe Bastardi was pretty good till he disappeared from AccuWeather :(

jirafa wrote: »

Not looking good for any snow in Jan...not a happy camper now...

And just as MT was saying it will be mild for the next two weeks but "a savage cold will descend on Eireann on the 8th of January!" :eek:

OK...he didn't use those exact words....but I can read between the lines......

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

This winter increasingly looks like its on a knife edge in terms of a decent cold spell or snowfall in Ireland. I am just hoping MT's forecast proves to be correct - there seems to be growing predictions that this winter will prove to be very mild. :mad:

D

Just to highlight that its not only Ireland that is very mild for late December, below is a round up of the Christmas Day 2011 temperatures in some of the world's cities:

• Dublin, IRELAND +13oc
    • London, ENGLAND +12oC
    • Paris, FRANCE +9oC
    • Berlin, GERMANY +8oC
    • Stockholm, SWEDEN +10oC ...........WOW!!! :eek:
    • Oslo, NORWAY +10oC....................WOW!!! :eek:
    • Helsinki, FINLAND +6oC..................WOW!!! :eek:
    • Rome, ITALY +15oC
    • Reykjavik, ICELAND 0oC
    • Moscow, Russia -5oC
    • New York, NY+8oC
    • Boston, MA +6oC
    • Chicago IL +7oC..............................WOW!!! :eek:
    • Los Angeles, CA +22oC
    • Sydney, Australia +28oC
    • Wellington, NZ +19oC
    A very mild Xmas this year, particularly in Scandinavia...!! :D

D

derekon wrote: »

D

Yep. They'll be topping themselves at a rate of knots.

Apparently when it rains in midwinter in Sweden and Finland the suicide rate soars. Meh weather is depressing anywhere.

As we have meh all year round I guess there isn't any weather related spike in the topping stats. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hardly a surprise as the Scandies are in the same weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Just to highlight that its not only Ireland that is very mild for late December, below is a round up of the Christmas Day 2011 temperatures in some of the world's cities:

• Dublin, IRELAND +13oc
    • London, ENGLAND +12oC
    • Paris, FRANCE +9oC
    • Berlin, GERMANY +8oC
    • Rome, ITALY +15oC
    • Reykjavik, ICELAND 0oC
    • Moscow, Russia -5oC
    • New York, NY+8oC
    • Boston, MA +6oC
    • Los Angeles, CA +22oC
    • Wellington, NZ +19oC

D
    Very interesting except for cities in Australia and New Zealand as it's there summer and it's meant to be warm.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    And just as MT was saying it will be mild for the next two weeks but "a savage cold will descend on Eireann on the 8th of January!" :eek:

OK...he didn't use those exact words....but I can read between the lines......

Think we will see MT revisit his winter forecast...and change his outlook for snow in Jan to nil.:(:(. Just cant see any snow for us this Jan...I even dread, to think, what Feb may not bring.

Think we will see MT revisit his winter forecast...and change his outlook for snow in Jan to nil.:(:(. Just cant see any snow for us this Jan...I even dread, to think, what Feb may not bring.

You might be right Jirafa, however MT was upbeat this morning about the weather turning much colder from around the 7th January 2012. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. At the moment, I am quite pessimistic about any chance of decent cold however I feel that my outlook is coloured somewhat by the very mild winter we have had to date, and continue to have :mad:

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

• Dublin, IRELAND +13oc
    • London, ENGLAND +12oC
    • Paris, FRANCE +9oC
    • Berlin, GERMANY +8oC
    • Rome, ITALY +15oC
    • Reykjavik, ICELAND 0oC
    • Moscow, Russia -5oC
    • New York, NY+8oC
    • Boston, MA +6oC
    • Los Angeles, CA +22oC
    • Wellington, NZ +19oC

D

wow, I didnt realise that scandinavia was that mild! At least it provides us with a small bit of comfort that most of Europe is in the same boat as us which is easier to swallow than the usuall mild Ireland vs freezing snowy European continent and Uk that we regularly see in our winters. Right now the short term future of this winter looks bleak in terms of snow but just like in the past this can change very suddenly so I am still living in hope that we'll see at least one decent fall of snow before winter is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sitting here in my Tee and 3/4 Umbro shorts, stove on with softwood, no central heating! Thats a first in our 21 years here at Xmas.

Sure we'll pay for this shorthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I've been following this guy's weather videos for the past few days and he explains things very well I think!

http://www.youtube.com/WeatherSchool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wishcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Go away u :D

Death to Graupel Ghouls! MT is a forecaster not a ghoul ....obviously! :D

• Advertisement

Kim-Jong-il-funeral-proce-006.jpg
    The feathery snowfall reminds the Korean people of the snowy day when the leader was born in the secret camp of Mt Paektu and of the great revolutionary career that he followed through snowdrifts," said the Korea Central News Agency.
    "It seems the sky knows well of how much he got snowed on during his uninterrupted field guidance tour for the happiness of the people."
    Citing the snowy weather, one soldier told North Korea state TV: "A national tragedy has occurred; how could the sky not cry?

Kim-Jong-il-funeral-proce-006.jpg

Why the obsession on the weather boards with Kim Jong Il? Don't get it myself!! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The first couple of weeks of January look like bringing us similar weather to what we experienced during the first few weeks of this month. The jetstream will continue to bring us milder southwesterlies and largly unsettled conditions broken up by cooler conditions from the w-nw with some wintry showers for jnorthern and western areas at times. The models are hinting at one or two brief northerly events toward the second week of January, which has been signalled in other threads. All in all, it's a case of more of the same and no clear signs of widespread, prolonged cold in the next 2-3 weeks. Temperatures at this stage look like remaining around average or just slightly below for the opening fortnight of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Sponge Bob you logged in with the wrong account.......

Update From Snow Central!

A-limousine-carrying-a-po-003.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/28/kim-jong-il-funeral-north-
    Reports said that the funeral on Wednesday, originally scheduled for mid-morning, had been delayed by several hours after more than 5cm of snow fell in Pyongyang on Tuesday night.

The city's citizens had been mobilised to clear snow from the funeral cortege's 40km drive from Kumsusan memorial palace, where Kim's body has been lying in state.

The procession was expected to head to the city's main plaza, Kim Il Sung Square, where hundreds of thousands of North Koreans have been paying their respects since hearing of his death 10 days ago.

What appeared to be live footage from North Korean state TV showed the procession moving slowly through the streets against a backdrop of snowfall and clearly audible mass outpouring of grief from an estimated 200,000 mourners, most of whom were in military uniform

Further along in the same article.
    State media used the snowy weather to bolster myths about Kim Jong-il's birth on Korea's highest peak, although Soviet records show he was born in Russia.

"The feathery snowfall reminds the Korean people of the snowy day when the leader was born in the secret camp of Mt Paektu and of the great revolutionary career that he followed through snowdrifts," said the Korea Central News Agency.

"It seems the sky knows well of how much he got snowed on during his uninterrupted field guidance tour for the happiness of the people."

Citing the snowy weather, one soldier told North Korea state TV: "A national tragedy has occurred; how could the sky not cry?

Another said: "The people, the mountains, the streams and the heavens are weeping tears of blood for having to bid the final farewel

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The first couple of weeks of January look like bringing us similar weather to what we experienced during the first few weeks of this month. The jetstream will continue to bring us milder southwesterlies and largly unsettled conditions broken up by cooler conditions from the w-nw with some wintry showers for jnorthern and western areas at times. The models are hinting at one or two brief northerly events toward the second week of January, which has been signalled in other threads. All in all, it's a case of more of the same and no clear signs of widespread, prolonged cold in the next 2-3 weeks. Temperatures at this stage look like remaining around average or just slightly below for the opening fortnight of 2012.

How depressing! However take some heart from the following link - we all know what happened next! :D

D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=15&month=1&hour=12&year=1947&map=3&mode=2

Thursday 30th January, 1947 - upper 850hPA temperatures of -16oC right over Ireland....wow! :D

D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=2&month=1&day=30&year=1947&map=3&hour=12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thursday 30th January, 1947 - upper 850hPA temperatures of -16oC right over Ireland....wow! :D

D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=2&month=1&day=30&year=1947&map=3&hour=12

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thought you might like that ! Now that is what I call a COLD spell! :D:D

D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement