Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old, Long Forgotten Car Dealers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

No point in map
    patsy O Neill the owner won't part with any of em
    check out photos on totalopel.ie
    then lift your jaw off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I think they have been posted here before, mostly modern tin, but is there a ZA reg'd Commodore in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Brendan Fassinidge Palmerstown.....??? Merc dealer, rebuilt showrooms with imported marble....cost of it I think saw him go wallop....early 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think they have been posted here before, mostly modern tin, but is there a ZA reg'd Commodore in there?

And an 'A Type' Manta and some mid 80's stuff. Crying shame, I've passed there a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikey10

Kiri wrote: »
    Hi, ther was no assembly at McCairns Santry , there was truck/body convertions and modifications in their Heavy plant workshops (on the RHS of the complex) I believe Chryslers(Leyland) were assembled also in Santry on the site of the current Garda station.
    just to correct you there was an assembly on site at McCairns motors Santry they assembled mitsubishi canters,served my time there from 1978-closure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Does anyone remember MCM Cars of Stillorgan? They were trading up until nearly a decade ago and were where Kingstown Motors are now.

I think they had a branch in Navan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Bearcat wrote: »
    Brendan Fassinidge Palmerstown.....??? Merc dealer, rebuilt showrooms with imported marble....cost of it I think saw him go wallop....early 80's?

Fassinidge cars operating from Dunshaughlin for the last few years...I assume this is the same Family ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Does anyone remember MCM Cars of Stillorgan? They were trading up until nearly a decade ago and were where Kingstown Motors are now.

I think they had a branch in Navan too.
    yep i remember mcm in stillorgan , bought all my opels there.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

exador wrote: »
    Fassinidge cars operating from Dunshaughlin for the last few years...I assume this is the same Family ?

Clark Fassinidge (son) I believe was operating out there......don't know if still

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tonyaus

Spent many years in the 60's and 7o's in the car industry in Wexford. Back then we had Talbot Garage for BMC Rover, Boggan's for Vauxhall,North End Garage for Hillman and Ferguson tractors later Doyles,O'Dowds Renault and NSU,Roche Motors Datsun and Opel,Donohues Fiat,Foley's garage David Brown Tractors,Statham's Ford,that's just to mention a few.

Zetor tractors were distributed by O'Sheas of Cork who were the original importers of Opel into Ireland in the early 60's. It was eventually taken over by Reg Armstrong motors.

I knew a Tom Slater who worked at Pauls Garage Bray who were the Fiat dealers, anybody else know him?

Presently operating an RV dealership in Qld,Australia.

Tonyaus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I haven't really seen this done before so I thought I'd start a thread on old car dealers. I think it would be interesting to go through all those old names who were synonymous with retailing marques.

I'll begin with Huet Motors. In their day they were supposedly a Rolls Royce dealer and latterly they held franchises for Austin Rover, BMW and Volvo. I think they were last located at the corner between Townsend Street and Lombard Street.

Anyone remember them?

my uncle worked for them but emergrated to england to be come a jag dealer.

then a bmw/roller dealer, then retired died and now his son is a bmw dealer.

the spirials of one mans choice to be over worked and under paid !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

BowWow wrote: »
    Opel dealers around 1970. Premises sold to Michael Grant - the Opel centre on the Malahide Rd.
    Was to be a BMW dealers, but became an apartment block with the Celtic Tiger.

The Michael Grant Opelcentre was sold to Crossans, in turn it moved to Airside and is now part of the Winsor Group.

............the Downey brothers wanted to retire so M.Grant bought the garage, the house next door and the shop adjoining that. They traded BMW and Mitsubishi for 2 years but failed to get planning persmission for the expanded garage despite promises from the Council, who claimed it was a residential area despite the presence of a commercial garage for 30+ years, a shop and a restaurant in the same block. It was pre Celtic Tiger days but the only planning allowed was residential, so thats what he built. No doubt he made a few quid and decided that was the way to go.

Previously M.Grant was involved with George Cosgrave, who's premises has remained largely unchanged for about 25 years+ !

I actually went into the Malahide Road Opelcentre yesterday, out of curiosity now a used car dealer, and they still have the same doors, floors, mirrors etc.. a lot of the same stuff that was put in when Grant did it up in 1987. Place felt much smaller though........

Heeley Motors in Malahide, the two brothers Bob & Richie, decided to sell up and retire and the premises is now apartments called Heeley's Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

Hi you guys, seen the thread and dont know if it is still alive.
    Reg Armstrongs was the opel assembler in Ringsend and it spawned some of our finest, to name two, Peter Cullen Late MD of Honda and Des Cullen still kicking the ball and known to us all.
    Also saw one of the threads showing a Key fromm CAB who still have their Ford Dealership in Cork, did you know CAB stood for "cheapest and best"
    Lot of good stuff out there, should be filed and put into a muesem.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

A couple of other dealers that have disappeared:

McCormacks - Ford dealer in Naas (Dublin Rd) - dropped the franchise sometime in the '80's and traded independently for a few more years.
    PNM O'Hanlon and Hanlon Bros - Hillman/Chysler dealer and Ford dealer in Longford. Hillman site went on to be the site for Hanlon Ambulances iirc and the Ford site is now an Aldi or Lidl.
    Longford Motor Works - BL, Rover, MG, Triumph, etc. at the side of the Longford Arms hotel. Now assimilated in to the hotel. IIRC it was owned by Albert Reynolds brother.
    Lakeview Service Station - Lanesboro - were Fiat dealers until sometime in the early '80's.
    Connaught Motors - Roscommon - Fiat dealers - from '70's to early '90's or so.
    Martin Bros - Mullingar - at various times had BL, Austin, etc. franchises and Ford for a while. Finally disappeared a few years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TR FITZ

jos28 wrote: »
    Waldens of Parnell Street - Ford dealers
    Bolands of Prussia St- can't remember what they sold
    Downeys in Clontarf, block of apartments there now. They used to have classics in the windows.
    There was one on Drumcondra bridge but I can't remember the name.

BK Motors - moved out Balbriggan direction when they left Drumcondra - don't know if they are still going.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

BK went belly up a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

they are now used car dealers on that site in Balbriggan , their website says they will be opening a new garage in Drumcondra too.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

Ftd autos athlone (i think),nissan dealer
    PMPA had a garage in Roscrea,

Anyone know was there any Mercedes agents in the Midlands back in the 80s??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Not strictly Midlands, but, Im fairly sure Sheehy Motors in Carlow were doing them back then.

Could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Annesley Motors of Ballybough in Dublin closed fairly abruptly last year after more than 60 years in business, but they had lost the dealership franchise shortly before that. They were dealers for Audi, Mercs and VW, and also Mazda previously. Annesley website is still there as if the place is still open but with no cars for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Annesley in Cloghran is still going as far as i know.

Think Annesley Cloghran may be owned by other family members but it's not the same outfit as Ballybough far as I know. Word was that Annesley in Ballybough had been under pressure to update their outfit to manufacturer's specification before they lost dealerships and eventually closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

yes the two annesley named garages went their separate ways in the mid 90s. While most garages over invested during the boom and are under pressure now, Annesley in ballybough under invested and closed They were supposed to move to the Malahide road in the late 90s and they would have thrived during the boom if this had happened but they obviously had little interest in the business. Annesley in cloghran used to be great as a mercedes dealer in the 80s and nineties but not as much now, think the only reason they get away with the outdated mercedes showroom is that MDL still look after mercedes here and they have a close relationship with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

prospect wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Garage that used to be on the Quay in Waterford, I think it was C&G Motors, part of Gowans, selling Citroen & Peugeot.

I have vague memories of going there with my Dad.
    Thats T &C .They're on the inner ring now. T & C also had apremises in Cuffesgramge Kilkenny in the late sevemties,

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

chinwag wrote: »
    Think Annesley Cloghran may be owned by other family members but it's not the same outfit as Ballybough far as I know. Word was that Annesley in Ballybough had been under pressure to update their outfit to manufacturer's specification before they lost dealerships and eventually closed.

Lived near Annesly as a student in the 80's it was then state of the art. ~Thanks for reminder.

Lived near Annesly as a student in the 80's it was then state of the art. ~Thanks for reminder.

It may have been state of the art in the 80's but apparently not so in the noughties. I passed it by a lot over the years and still find it hard to believe it is gone after all those years.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TR FITZ

beetlefan wrote: »
    Shannon motors in athlone, opel dealers, long gone

My late uncle Johnny (Fitzpatrick) was Service Manager for Shannon Motors in the 80's before he retired - served his time as mechanic in Gills - BL Dealer - I think (demolished to make way for old Athlone Shopping Centre) then he, and brother Tom (also served time in Gills) opened Fitzpatrick Bros on Ballymahon Road in ? early 60's main VW and LAINZ Tractor agencies - liquidated by McMullan Bros cos of unpaid petrol bills - only clue as to site of this garage is sign 'Pairc Ciaran' (entrance to GAA grounds) which was original Munster Simms petrol sign on front of forecourt - used to have a photo of a busy forecourt with split screen beetles etc but mislaid at moment. Would love to hear from any body with more info about Fitzpatrick Bros as both Uncles now deceased - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC09808.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC09043.jpg

DSC08957.jpg

DSC08956.jpg

DSC08490.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

Some old dealers there , love to get some old fiat and vw dealers stickers the cartrack was car and tractor they were massey dealers as well Finlays had the dealership later in thurles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

Some others i can remember Dan Ryan limerick fiat elm motors fiat adams glin fiat finmax ballina fiat mayo motors fiat cathal duffy vw od and od tipp modern motors renault tipp Con cash tipp fiat service garage limerick vw dan dooley toyota i could go on lol

Advertisement