Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardy Bucks - Season 2 - RTE 2 Monday nights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I thought the web episodes were really great. I never really watched series one as it seemed to be a re-working of the web stuff and I wasn't bothered with the recylced jokes and reordered plots.

Series Two, I thought the first two episodes were really good and true to the web episodes. Very funny. Last night's third episode was terrible though, hardly a laugh in there. I think the show is much funnier when it is about nothing and doesn't reveal anything. No back stories, family lives etc. Last night ruined the Viper by making him vulnerable. Really destroys his "villian" character. The Viper should only pop up in the show to be a pr*ck.

I'm afraid the reputation of this show will get killed by weak episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I thought the web episodes were really great. I never really watched series one as it seemed to be a re-working of the web stuff and I wasn't bothered with the recylced jokes and reordered plots.

Series Two, I thought the first two episodes were really good and true to the web episodes. Very funny. Last night's third episode was terrible though, hardly a laugh in there. I think the show is much funnier when it is about nothing and doesn't reveal anything. No back stories, family lives etc. Last night ruined the Viper by making him vulnerable. Really destroys his "villian" character. The Viper should only pop up in the show to be a pr*ck.

I'm afraid the reputation of this show will get killed by weak episodes.

Totally agree with the above.

I though last night was average at best, but in reality it was poor.

It reminded me too much of the 'King of the Town' episode last year which was terribly also.
    Again I think they were trying to hard to develop a plot and a situation that was not very funny in the end.
    The recoding studio stuff was crap, with the exception of Viper trying to chat up 'Sthacey' at the beginning.

They need to focus on the simple things, the normal interactions between Buzz, Eddie and the other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Totally agree with the above.

I though last night was average at best, but in reality it was poor.

It reminded me too much of the 'King of the Town' episode last year which was terribly also.
    Again I think they were trying to hard to develop a plot and a situation that was not very funny in the end.
    The recoding studio stuff was crap, with the exception of Viper trying to chat up 'Sthacey' at the beginning.

They need to focus on the simple things, the normal interactions between Buzz, Eddie and the other characters.

I agree with what's been said so far. What made the Viper great was that he was always a pr1ck and ended up getting one over on Eddie & the boys all too often. I was very surprised that he got shown up like that last night. In fairness though, the Viper sells drugs so I don't know why he'd be bothered his arse doing a film! It just made no sense!

There were a few great lines though, 'You can't beat the few warm up pints before soccer', chatting up the assistant at the recording studio and the Viper's general pissing about in there and what the Viper said about Noirin & yer man, something like 'the guy who's having sex with eddie's ex' or something like that.

Strange episode though. I hope they get things back on track. They need to remember that the whole lot of them (the viper and Eddie & the boys) are useless, lazy feckers who spend the day being busy doing **** all! I can say myself that I don't give a toss about back stories or plots. Once they realise that, they'll be grand!

Actually isn't that always what ruined great british comedies when they were made into films. Someone somewhere decided that there now needed to be a plot and back stories and revelations about the characters and it almost always fell on it's arse. Mr. Bean is a case in point. I'd have been far happier with a film made up of 3 or 4 longer sketches with more money going into the production than usual. Sacha Baron-Coen managed it best really where he struck a happy balance. I think he did just enough to keep the studio people from the door and not enough to kill the character. I do like the Ali G movie and the Borat movie because of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

pretty much agree with the first poster above...Poor episode.didnt work...Anyone else notice the Viper returning to his normal english accent when hhe was talkng to himself alone in the mirror at the party???/First two were still good though..heres hoping it gets back on track again next week for the last 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

really unfunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The first two episodes were a return to form but last night's was definitely the weakest of the three. Never seems to work fully when they try and shoehorn in too much plot into an episode like all the viper/black mamba stuff. It verged far too close to being zany for the sake of it at the end.

Funniest part of the episode was probably just Buzz and French Toast sitting on the wall outside the cottage. The simple stuff always works better with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭briany

:confused:

I thought the episode was quite funny indeed. It wasn't as funny as the previous two, that is true but there was still a lot to laugh about.

The whole exchange between Buzz/French Toast and Eddie outside the cottage at the beginning was hilarious. The idea of a glitzy LA pool party containing the cream of Castletown society was well done. The idea of them all showing up, done up, to this dingy looking poolside was funny with even one of the partygoers commenting on it as typical west of Ireland. The lads going for a game of football and forgetting the ball was a funny aside.

I didn't like the Viper's messing around in the studio, though. It was hard to see where that was going but I don't agree that it undermines him to make him look vulnerable. I thought the point of the character was that he is a completely silly, unintimidating 'villain' and the idea that Eddie and the boys take him in any way seriously is absolutely ridiculous. It's like overgrown kids playing a game really and actually they're all friends. He looks like a kid who was bullied so much in secondary school that he snapped and tried to reinvent himself as a hard man but had based on his image/style on a comically narcissistic delusion so to point this out occasionally does no harm.

briany wrote: »
    :confused:

I thought the episode was quite funny indeed. It wasn't as funny as the previous two, that is true but there was still a lot to laugh about.

The whole exchange between Buzz/French Toast and Eddie outside the cottage at the beginning was hilarious. The idea of a glitzy LA pool party containing the cream of Castletown society was well done. The idea of them all showing up, done up, to this dingy looking poolside was funny with even one of the partygoers commenting on it as typical west of Ireland. The lads going for a game of football and forgetting the ball was a funny aside.

I didn't like the Viper's messing around in the studio, though. It was hard to see where that was going but I don't agree that it undermines him to make him look vulnerable. I thought the point of the character was that he is a completely silly, unintimidating 'villain' and the idea that Eddie and the boys take him in any way seriously is absolutely ridiculous. It's like overgrown kids playing a game really and actually they're all friends. He looks like a kid who was bullied so much in secondary school that he snapped and tried to reinvent himself as a hard man but had based on his image/style on a comically narcissistic delusion so to point this out occasionally does no harm.

But that's the whole thing.
    The interaction between Buzz, Eddie, French toast is the best part of it. Not some over elaborate plot involving the Viper, a recording studio and a film.

Now of course it is hard to carry 25min of a show with the three lads talking but they have shown in the previous two episodes that the overall plot does not have to be complex.
    Last week was a prefect example, the only plot was that they turned the house into a '**** site' and the rest of the show was built around it.

I do agree that the Viper is a very vulnerable character, all he is is a mammy's boy that turns into a hard man once he steps outside the door to head up town or when there is a audience to play too.

But that's the whole thing.
    The interaction between Buzz, Eddie, French toast is the best part of it. Not some over elaborate plot involving the Viper, a recording studio and a film.

Now of course it is hard to carry 25min of a show with the three lads talking but they have shown in the previous two episodes that the overall plot does not have to be complex.
    Last week was a prefect example, the only plot was that they turned the house into a '**** site' and the rest of the show was built around it.

I do agree that the Viper is a very vulnerable character, all he is is a mammy's boy that turns into a hard man once he steps outside the door to head up town or when there is a audience to play too.

Its a good point about the show working best when their doing nothing,and just the improv or conversations between Buzz Eddie and the Boo.However RTE are never going to let them fill 3 hours of just this.There has to be plotlines brought in somewhere,also I dont think six episodes like episode 1 would work over all.....3 episodes left,one dodgy episode doesnt really ruin the whole season.....maybe by the looks of it episode 1 may be the strongest of them all,and it may of been a bad idea to start with it as expectations were left too high after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Having a plotline is ruining the show. Left to its own its very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Latest episode dipped alright.
    What should have been a cavalcade of fun with all the characters together in one spot (red carpet event) just became a watery diluted mess.
    Everyone got a little spake but nothing much was said.

Gervais and crew carried off the mass character situation well in the UK office Christmas party special, so it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

As has been stated the Wed episodes were way better, but this series it's getting closer to it.

Made me lol a few times!

Definitely depends on where you're from in the country though, no question.

Much better episode last night.

The Viper was brilliant, I never really though him as funny as the others but he really improved this week.

Viper asking Sim Card to test the drugs for him was class.

Yeah the Viper was the star this week! I loved the part where the boys from 'Shligo' show up and he's doing the 'hard man' walk down the ravine and slips :D. It's great to see that the episode last week had some payoff this week.

Buzz & Eddie going in for the loan was very funny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I thought it was a brilliant scene when Eddie and Buzz fell out again. "Ya fat bitch" and Buzz doing press-ups to show how hard he is.

Great quote from Simcard when talking about the new drugs to Viper 2 as well: "I dreamt I was shopping with Paul Galvin for weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Very funny episode last night, the fortune teller, the bank, Vipers shenanigans with the corner boys and his double, and the woof woof scene with french toast and sim card were class. p.s. I would be closer to ross o carroll kelly than castletown in terms of myself, but HB is fecking brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

salmon deserves a spin off hes brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Only started watching Hardy Bucks this week. I always thought it was gonna be some unfunny country crap, but I have to say I love it. Simple things like the eastern european doll calling the little kid trying to rob Salmons phone a "small bastard" had me laughing. "Black belt in cluedo". All the viper stuff. There seems to be a lot of characters in it, but they nearly all had at least 1 funny line! It was great!
    Lookin forward to watching all the web shtuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hansbo

Anyone know where you can get the shky boy song? Been looking for a while and cant find it anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This one?

it starts at 2:46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm telllin Ye what bai's, the Boo is criminally underused on RTE, anyone got an idea why?

I'm enjoying series 2 alot, but it should be Eddie, Buzz, Toashty and the Boo as main characters with the viper fúcking them off with other characters thrown in for flavour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus what a great show, i was down my local town where i grew up today and you get see a lot of people who would fit into hardy bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

It's been a good series so far I've enjoyed it :cool:

That Russian bird Svetlana :eek:. Phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It does not hold up to the standard of the web series though, does it?

tuxy wrote: »
    It does not hold up to the standard of the web series though, does it?
    Matter of opinion i guess,For me episode 1 and 4 have been as good if not better than any of the web episoodes.Not even taking into account the fact that the web episodes were 10 minutes..Anyways for me the first 3 web episodes were the only real classic classic hardybucks,But im not complaining,It woud be impossible for them to maintain 100 percent always..theres only been one slightly dodgy episode out of four so far....not bad at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭briany

That was the best episode of the series so far in my opinion. Plenty of Eddie's gang and Viper's gang with both just messing about and getting into trouble. Exactly as it should be. :)
    The encounter between Eddie and the Viper in the chipper at the end was hysterical as was the whole rave up at the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

was class last night.

1. when buzz was doing his driving test and the inspector tells him hes a terrible driver and buzz goes.."what the **** are ya talking about" :D (buzz is class).

2. when the viper is in the swimming pool and tells yer man to shwim off ta fuc. see those dolphins, make them you target..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

briany wrote: »
    That was the best episode of the series so far in my opinion. Plenty of Eddie's gang and Viper's gang with both just messing about and getting into trouble. Exactly as it should be. :)
    The encounter between Eddie and the Viper in the chipper at the end was hysterical as was the whole rave up at the farm.

nail on the head! I nearly fell off the bed watching it!

as well as
    The Viper screeching at him before Eddie wakes up. So funny!

Big thumbs up from me for this episode! I'm really starting to like Noirin and her bitchy friend who keeps taunting Eddie! The Driving Test was absolute class! I thought this episode was well up there with any of the web eps. Best episode so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm telllin Ye what bai's, the Boo is criminally underused on RTE, anyone got an idea why?

Might be because he's the worst actor of the lot of them. He tries but his line delivery is awful and he doesn't even have the deadpan hilarity of Salmon to make up for it.

Advertisement