Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

If your claim for Disability allowance is in the process of being approved does the new rate apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Details:
    PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
     The age of entitlement for Disability Allowance will increase to 18 years in line with other social welfare payments. The age of entitlement for Domiciliary Care Allowance will be extended from 16 years to 18 years of age. (January 2012)

 For new claimants aged 18 to 24, the rates of payment for Disability Allowance will be aligned with Jobseeker’s Allowance rates for that age group i.e. €100 per week for people aged 18 to21 and €144 per week for people aged 22 to 24. (April 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If your Disability Allowance payment has been submitted already, then when it is approved, then it is backdated to the date you submitted it, so you should be fine.

If the legislation is similar to the legislation that reduced Jobseekers rates, then there will likely be a cutoff point whereby you must have been in receipt of a claim at that date (April 2012 is the date given so far), and various exemptions that apply to those who may have been on a Disability payment over the past 12 months and who have come off it for one reason or another and are seeking to go back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

As a current recipient of the Disability Allowance since the start of summer (applied in January), will I be affected by the new rates? I am currently 16 years of age and will be 17 in January, does that matter since I am already claiming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

As a current recipient of the Disability Allowance since the start of summer (applied in January), will I be affected by the new rates? I am currently 16 years of age and will be 17 in January, does that matter since I am already claiming it?
    I am also interested to find out this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

No you will not be affected. you will continue to get euro188. it only applies to new applicants from the 1st January 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    No you will not be affected. you will continue to get euro188. it only applies to new applicants from the 1st January 2012.

Well, that's a load of stress relieved, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

It seems likely that the cuts to, at least, 18 - 25 year olds will be reversed because of the outcry.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

mrsbyrne wrote: »

Are you 100% sure of this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

No speculation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Cuts to 16 year olds will now *NOT* go ahead from Jan 1st pending review.

http://budget.breakingnews.ie/news/taoiseach-to-pause-cuts-in-disability-welfare-payments-531342.html

All the cuts to disability to be "revisited", it would appear on the grounds that, for some curious reason...WHOOPS...nobody realised it was going to cost those affected any actual money (read the article...the mind boggles)...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1207/breaking5.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement