Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Republican campaign justifiable?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If it wasn't just blatant hypocrisy, you would never get a reply from me.

He's right, it's a complete waste of time even attempting to engage you in any kind of civilised level.

Zombrex wrote: »
    Because not many Nationalists supported the IRA campaign.

Exactly.

However, that didn't prevent you from denouncing me retrospectively as a diehard Republican because I objected to the remarks about Bloody Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Well you apparently didn't get the memo. It was in fact a "war", and didn't you know, calling something a "war" means you don't have to justify civilians deaths, they are "inevitable" in a "war" so I mean what can you do, they are just going to happen, right?

I didn't call it a war and if you look at my second post in this thread...
    Some of what they done hurt civilians who never wanted a part in the conflict so I, personally, wouldn't subscribe to the 'absolutely' stance. I'm horrified by the death of people who didn't sign up to be on one side or the other.

... you'll see that I condemn the killing of civilians no matter who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

karma_ wrote: »
    Exactly.

However, that didn't prevent you from denouncing me retrospectively as a diehard Republican because I objected to the remarks about Bloody Sunday.

You appreciate that you totally missed the point of trendyvicar post, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

realies wrote: »
    For a very long time the british government never recognized that it was in fact a war and tried unsuccessfully to put it across that it was a few bad paddies who had no support at all.Even now they wont open there files on the dublin bombings or Pat finucane,Don't know why as we the people who lived there through it wont be a bit surprised by there acts of killings.

They'd secretly declared war on Pat Finucane had they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He's right, it's a complete waste of time even attempting to engage you in any kind of civilised level.
    If you can't win the argument, just throw the old "Oh I can't debate with you". Supporters of the PIRA campaign trying to lecture the opposite side.

It baffles me that seemingly intelligent people continue to engage tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I didn't call it a war and if you look at my second post in this thread...

... you'll see that I condemn the killing of civilians no matter who did it.

Have you condemned the IRA for doing the killing of the civilians?

Have you condemned the IRA for doing the killing of the civilians?

Yes, on occasion. What's your point?

You appreciate that you totally missed the point of trendyvicar post, right?

I did not.

I know you're trying to say to Republicans that is it was a war, then surely...

However, Bloody Sunday is a touchy subject in Derry to this day, and I will not tolerate revulsion to the events of that day described as 'ranting and raving'.

The analogy is also poor, the context of that day had little to do with an armed conflict, it was a protest march that was brutally attacked by the military.

By Jan '72, there had been some Republican violence, mostly the stickies, but the greatest threat came from the Loyalists and the security forces themselves. What would then become the 'Troubles' after this point, bore little similarity to what preceded it, so to answer your question, I certainly didn't miss the point.

• Advertisement

I did not.

However, Bloody Sunday is a touchy subject in Derry to this day, and I will not tolerate revulsion to the events of that day described as 'ranting and raving'.

The analogy is also poor, the context of that day had little to do with an armed conflict, it was a protest march that was brutally attacked by the military.

By Jan '72, there had been some Republican violence, mostly the stickies, but the greatest threat came from the Loyalists and the security forces themselves. What would then become the 'Troubles' after this point, bore little similarity to what preceded it, so to answer your question, I certainly didn't miss the point.
    6 February 1971: A British soldier on security duties, Gunner Robert Curtis, was killed by Billy Reid in a gun battle in North Belfast. Curtis was the first British soldier to die in Ireland since the 1920s. IRA volunteer James Saunders (21) was shot dead in a shootout with the British Army in the Bone area of Belfast and the British Army shot dead a Catholic civilian. Eight British soldiers and five civilians were also injured in various gun battles around Belfast.[8][9]
    9 February 1971: An IRA landmine killed five men near a BBC transmitter on Brougher Mountain in County Tyrone. Two of the dead were BBC engineers, the other three were construction workers. It was believed their vehicle was mistaken for a British Army landrover. British mobile patrols frequently inspected the transmitter.[10][11]
    15 February 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper while taking part in a mobile-patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast. Two British Army scout cars came under sniper fire and had a bomb thrown at them. The soldier was shot in the head.[12][13]
    26 February 1971: Two RUC officers who were attached to the Special Patrol Group (RUC) were killed in a gun battle with the IRA in the Ardoyne area of Belfast.[10][14]
    8 March 1971: IRA volunteer Charles Hughes (26) was shot dead by the Official IRA in the Lower Falls area of Belfast. This was part of an ongoing dispute between the IRA and the OIRA.[12] In response the IRA shot and seriously injured a member of the OIRA.[15]
    10 March 1971: The IRA kidnapped three off-duty Scottish soldiers in Belfast and brought them to a mountain road outside the city, lined them up, and shot each of them in the head. They were the first off-duty soldiers to be killed in the conflict.[16][17]
    21 April 1971: The Royal Navy survey launch Stork, attached to HMS Hecate, was towed to open seas and sunk by an IRA unit in Baltimore, Republic of Ireland.[18]
    15 May 1971: IRA volunteer Billy Reid (32) was killed during a gun battle between the IRA and the British Army on Academy Street, Belfast. Two British soldiers were wounded in the incident.[12][19]
    25 May 1971: A bomb was thrown into Springfield Road British Army/RUC base in Belfast, killing army Sergeant Michael Willetts as he shielded civilians from the blast with his body. He was posthumously awarded the George Cross. Seven RUC officers, two British soldiers and 18 civilians were injured.[12][20]
    12 July 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper at a British Observation post on Northumberland Street in Belfast. The IRA claimed his death was in retaliation for the killings of two civilians in Derry by the British Army the previous week.[12][21]
    14 July 1971: A British soldier was shot dead in an IRA ambush on a mobile-patrol in the Andersonstown area of Belfast. Three IRA gunmen using automatic weapons fired at least 35 shots at the patrol.[12][22]
    8 August 1971: A British soldier was shot dead in an IRA sniper attack while on foot-patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast. The IRA said he was shot in retaliation for the shooting dead of a civilian by the British Army the day before on the Springfield Road.[12][23]
    9 August 1971: 343 suspects were detained as internment was introduced. In the following two days 17 people were killed in gun battles between the IRA and British Army. The IRA killed one British soldier and one UDR soldier while the British Army shot dead one IRA volunteer, Patrick McAdorey (24) and 14 civilians. Between 1971 and 1975, 1,981 people were interned; 1,874 were Catholic/republican, while only 107 were Protestant/loyalist.[10]
    9 August 1971: A UDR soldier was killed in a joined Provisional and Official IRA ambush in Clady, Tyrone.[24]
    11 August 1971: IRA volunteer Seamus Simpson (21) was shot dead by the British Army while carrying out a bomb attack on their patrol in the Andersonstown area of Belfast.[12]
    16 August 1971: The commander of the Provisionals' Belfast Brigade, Joe Cahill, gave a press conference claiming only 30 IRA volunteers had been interned.[10][25]
    18 August 1971: IRA volunteer Eamon Lafferty (20) was shot dead during a gun battle between the IRA and the British Army in the Creggan area of Derry City.[12]
    23 August 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper on Flax Street in the Ardoyne area of Belfast. The soldier was shot in the head as he exited a British armoured vehicle.[12][26] Another British soldier from the same regiment was shot dead by an IRA sniper in Ardoyne during a gun attack on an observation post. He had been shot in the mouth. The Daily Express published a picture of the dead soldier, George Crozier, on its front page the next day.[27]
    25 August 1971: A civilian was killed when the IRA bombed the NIES office on Malone Road in Belfast. An inadequate warning was given.[12]
    29 August 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper near Crossmaglen, County Armagh. The soldier was travelling in a British patrol consisting of two armoured vehicles when they accidentally crossed the border into County Monaghan. When attempting to turn back angry locals blocked their way and set one of the vehicles on fire. After eventually managing to get back across the border the patrol had to stop to change a damaged wheel. While this was happening a six man unit from the IRA's Monaghan Brigade arrived on the scene and took up sniping positions in nearby fields. One soldiers was killed after being shot in the neck and another injured when he was struck in the shoulder.[12][28]
    31 August 1971: A British soldier was killed when he was shot by an IRA sniper in Stockmans Lane in the Andersonstown area of Belfast. A single shot was fired by a sniper which passed through the shoulder strap of another soldiers flak-jacket before hitting the other soldier in the head.[12][29]
    3 September 1971: A UDR soldier was shot dead when an IRA unit attacked Kilawley British Army base in County Fermanagh.[12][29]
    9 September 1971: A British Army bomb-disposal expert was killed attempting to defuse an IRA bomb in Drumankelly, County Antrim.[12]
    14 September 1971: A British soldier was shot dead during an IRA attack on a British Army mobile-patrol in Edendork, County Tyrone.[12]
    15 September 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by the IRA in the grounds of Victoria Hospital in Belfast.[12]
    17 September 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper while on foot-patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast.[12]
    18 September 1971: An RUC officer was shot dead in an IRA gun attack on his foot-patrol in Strabane, County Tyrone.[12]
    23 September 1971: A patrol boat belonging to the Northern Ireland Fishery Conservancy Board was bombed and wrecked by an IRA unit at Derrynver, Lough Neagh.[30]
    1 October 1971: A British soldier was shot dead in an IRA gun-attack on a British Army foot-patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast.[12]
    2 October 1971: IRA volunteer Terence McDermott (19) died after the bomb he was transporting exploded accidentally outside Lisburn.[12]
    11 October 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by the IRA while on foot-patrol on the Letterkenny Road in Derry.[12]
    15 October 1971: Two RUC officers were shot dead when an IRA unit attacked their patrol car on the Woodvale Road in Belfast.[12]
    16 October 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by the IRA during riots in the Bogside area of Derry.[12]
    17 October 1971: Two British soldiers were killed when their armoured-mobile-patrol was caught in an IRA sniper ambush in Belfast.[12]
    23 October 1971: Two unarmed female IRA volunteers, Maura Meehan (30) and Dorothy Maguire (19), were shot dead by the British Army in the Lower Falls area of Belfast.[12]
    24 October 1971: IRA volunteer Martin Forsythe (19) was shot dead by undercover RUC officers during a bomb attack in Donegall Place, Belfast.[12]
    27 October 1971: Two British soldiers were killed when the IRA bombed Rosemount British Army base in Derry.[12]
    27 October 1971: An RUC officer was shot dead by an IRA sniper while on patrol near Toome, County Antrim.[12]
    27 October 1971: A British soldier was killed when a British Army armoured personnel carrier struck an IRA landmine in Kinawley, County Fermanagh.[12]
    29 October 1971: An RUC officer was killed when the IRA bombed the RUC base on Antrim Road in Belfast.[12]
    30 October 1971: A British soldier was killed when the IRA bombed a British Army Observation Post on the corner of Cupar Street in Belfast.[12]
    31 October 1971: A British soldier was killed in an IRA sniper attack on his patrol in Stockmans Lane, Belfast.[12]
    1 November 1971: Two RUC officers were shot dead by an IRA unit while investigating a robbery at Avoca Shopping Centre in Belfast.[12]
    2 November 1971: Three civilians were killed when the IRA bombed the Ormeau Road RUC base. The three were drinking in the Red Lion bar which is next-door to the base.[12]
    4 November 1971: A British soldier was killed in an IRA sniper attack on Henry Taggart British Army base in Ballymurphy, Belfast.[12]
    7 November 1971: A British soldier was shot dead in an IRA drive-by attack in Lurgan, County Armagh.[12]
    9 November 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper on Foyle Road in Derry City.[12]
    11 November 1971: Two RUC officers were shot dead by the IRA in Belfast. They had left the base to go into a shop on the street behind it when they were ambushed by an IRA unit.[12]
    18 November 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by the IRA while guarding a bus depot in the Short Strand area of Belfast.[12]
    24 November 1971: A civilian was killed in the crossfire during an IRA attack on a British Army base in Strabane.[12]
    24 November 1971: A British Army bomb disposal expert was killed attempting to defuse a car-bomb in Lurgan, County Armagh.[12]
    27 November 1971: Two Customs Officials were killed when IRA snipers attacked Killeen Customs Post near Newry, County Armagh. The soldiers guarding the post were the intended targets.[12]
    27 November 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper while on foot-patrol in the Falls area of Belfast.[12]
    29 November 1971: An off-duty British soldier was shot dead by the IRA near Crossmaglen, County Armagh.[12]
    6 December 1971: A civilian was killed in an IRA bomb attack in Belfast. The bomb destroyed a business premises. The damage resulted in one of the walls collapsing in on top of the building next door, crushing a civilian.[12]
    7 December 1971: A UDR soldier was shot dead by the IRA in Curlagh, County Tyrone.[12]
    8 December 1971: Two British soldiers were killed in separate IRA gun attacks in Belfast.[12]
    10 December 1971: A UDR soldier and an ex-soldier were killed when their car was attacked by an IRA unit near Clady. County Tyrone.[12]
    11 December 1971: A bomb attack on a furniture shop on the Shankill Road in Belfast killed four Protestant civilians, including two children.[12] No organisation claimed responsibility, but there was speculation that it may have been planted by the IRA in retaliation for the McGurk's Bar bombing of 4 December.[31]
    16 December 1971: A British soldier was shot dead by an IRA sniper in the Lower Falls area of Belfast.[12]
    18 December 1971: IRA volunteers James Sheridan (20), John Bateson (19) and Martin Lee (19) died in Magherafelt, County Londonderry, when the bomb they were transporting exploded prematurely.[10]
    21 December 1971: A Catholic pub-owner was killed when he picked up and attempted to remove a bomb that had been planted in his pub on Lisburn Road, Belfast. Although Catholic-owned pubs were usually targeted by loyalists, the Sutton database lists the IRA as responsible.[12]
    21 December 1971: Unarmed IRA volunteer Gerald McDade (23) was shot after being captured by the British Army in the Ardoyne area of Belfast.[12]
    29 December 1971: A British soldier was shot dead in an IRA gun attack on a foot-patrol in the Brandywell area of Derry City.[12]
    31 December 1971: IRA volunteer Jack McCabe (55) was killed when a bomb he was assembling exploded accidentally in Santry, Dublin.[12]
    Only some Republican violence? Lets stick to reality please.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I did not.

She picked a very poor example alright, maybe something like Loughgall would be a better example?

Also lads, for people who don't entertain Keith, there's always a hell of a lot of replies to him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Also lads, for people who don't entertain Keith, there's always a hell of a lot of replies to him.

Not from me K-9.

She picked a very poor example alright, maybe something like Loughgall would be a better example?

Yes, Loughgall or Edlingham Street would have been far better examples, there are many better ones she could have used.

I'm actually sorry I even entered the thread now, my only objection was about Bloody Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Surely the British government would be eager to not have to explain or justify killing lots and lots of civilians. I mean the IRA seem pretty happy with this, they just called it a "war" and they can say that civilian deaths were just an inevitable consequence of it being I would have thought the British government would jump at the chance to wash their hands clean of all the civilian blood as the IRA did.

The British preferred to call the everyday bombings, gunfights, murders, military funerals,thousand of troops and armoured cars on the streets “the Troubles”. It might look like a war, but to them that would be admitting that they have there own vietnam and cant go around preaching to the world what a great nation they are were.
    Because not many Nationalists supported the IRA campaign.

The P.IRA had a very large & continuous amount of support through out the Island of Ireland,Without it they couldn't have mounted such a long campaign.

They'd secretly declared war on Pat Finucane had they?

Yes they did Sir John Stevens, head of London's Metropolitan Police has found out enough to confirm what many nationalists have long maintained: that the British army worked with death squads in Northern Ireland. “Collusion,” he says, “is evidenced in many ways The unlawful involvement of agents in murder implies that the security forces sanction killing etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC brings out the red green in me :D

KeithAFC brings out the red green in me :D
    I don't mean to. :p

Its an interesting discussion. I think neither side will fully agree on the Troubles and the context of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The PIRA killed people because the nationalist community was collaborating and even fraternising with the British army following the battle of the bogside and the arrival of British army 'mediators'. The Irish Republican movement, inspired by a fiery doctrine of hate that verges on fascism, then set about killing, maiming and butchering their way throughout the northern statelet.

Its original excuse is Ulster presbyterian extremism and intransigence. A fair excuse to offer, but one which ultimately fails when examined historically. The Irish Republican movement exploited this grievance and used it for an armed campaign. It is a disgusting virus in Irish history and we should all be glad that the PIRA were eventually defeated by the twin forces of reason and mass disgust.

The fact that people continue to make excuses for this twisted and contorted ideology of bloodshed is an insult to the thousands of Irishmen and women on both sides of the community who did all they could to bring a semblance of order and cohesion to the madness inflicted by the gangsters of a Catholic or Protestant hue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Denerick wrote: »
    The PIRA killed people because the nationalist community was collaborating and even fraternising with the British army following the battle of the bogside and the arrival of British army 'mediators'. The Irish Republican movement, inspired by a fiery doctrine of hate that verges on fascism, then set about killing, maiming and butchering their way throughout the northern statelet.

Its original excuse is Ulster presbyterian extremism and intransigence. A fair excuse to offer, but one which ultimately fails when examined historically. The Irish Republican movement exploited this grievance and used it for an armed campaign. It is a disgusting virus in Irish history and we should all be glad that the PIRA were eventually defeated by the twin forces of reason and mass disgust.

your worse than keith , at least he doesnt disown his own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

irishh_bob wrote: »
    your worse than keith , at least he doesnt disown his own

Oh dear, I think I might have slipped on my own vomit.

History doesn't look kindly on murderers or fascists. Be they Nationalist or Unionist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Civilians will inevitably get hit in a war, so will infrastructure. You should know this, seeing as how your lot started it and the experience you have killing innocents abroad.

Would you care to point out a conflict without civilian losses?

Aah yes, the unblinking pontification that is Irish republican arrogance.

There is a huge difference between civilians being killed and the deliberate targeting of civilians. There is also a difference between infrastructure and a shopping centre.

So, please can you explain how you, as a northern nationalist, felt protected by the PIRA bombing restaurants and shopping centres.

I did not.

YOUR ANALYSIS IS A DISGRACE

Up to the 30th January 1972 the following had been killed by:

Security Forces: 62
    Loyalists: 25
    Republicans: 127
    Others: 10

Total killed: 224

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/

In other words, already by 'bloody sunday' Republicans had been responsible for the majority of killings carried out.

I can even give you the figures for January 1972:

Security Forces: 2
    Loyalists: 0
    Republicans: 8
    Others: 1

Your memory of 'the troubles' has been hideously distorted by your own prejudices - something you share with all Irish Nationalists.

However, your biggest problem is that you understandably magnify 'bloody sunday' as some uniquely horrific event, because it happened near where you lived. To those on The Shankill Road, The Shankill bomb was uniquely horrific, to those in Birmingham, it was those bombs and so on.

Try and think beyond your own narrow experience.

Yes they did Sir John Stevens, head of London's Metropolitan Police has found out enough to confirm what many nationalists have long maintained: that the British army worked with death squads in Northern Ireland. “Collusion,” he says, “is evidenced in many ways The unlawful involvement of agents in murder implies that the security forces sanction killing etc etc.

So perhaps you can tell us all why The UK State wanted Finucane dead?

And perhaps you can tell us all why a senior British police officer was allowed by The UK State to talk publicly about UK State collusion (if it existed)?

Oh dear, I think I might have slipped on my own vomit.

History doesn't look kindly on murderers or fascists. Be they Nationalist or Unionist.

all wars - conflicts involve murder , the IRA were consigned to a few pockets with a handfull of die harders by the end of the fifties and this despite the fact that unionists were given carte blanche by london to walk all over thier catholic ( percieved inferior ) neighbours , had the unionists had an ounce of sense ( let alone humanity or humility ) , they would have saw it in thier interest to allow parity of esteem and equality for thier catholic neighbours after 1922 , had that happened, the vast majority of catholics would have simply blended into what was another part of the uk , its important to remember that the vast majority of people will avoid violence and conflict if they can avoid it , most people just want to live in peace , raise thier families and see thier children get a decent education , revolutionaries are few and far between , the IRA could never have done what they did were it not for the support of a very sizeable percentage of the catholic population in northern ireland , a population who through decades of unionist apparthied policys saw no kind of fair deal and no goverment power ( at home or abroad ) willing to speak up for them in any real sense , us southerners down here were happy to look the other way yet some to this day love to puff themselves up with righteous indignation and shout MURDERER as if theese people were cartoon evil carracatures who just felt like blowing the **** out of the place for the craic for thirty years , i perfer to take a less black and white view of things , the reality is one of cause and effect , if you treat people like **** for decades , trample over thier rights and expect them to be content with thier second class status , eventually they will get fed up and hit back , its human nature and its been happening since the beginning of time and no amount of demonisation of the main protagonists will change that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

nationalists had to defend themselves

YOUR ANALYSIS IS A DISGRACE

Up to the 30th January 1972 the following had been killed by:

Security Forces: 62
    Loyalists: 25
    Republicans: 127
    Others: 10

Total killed: 224

In other words, already by 'bloody sunday' Republicans had been responsible for the majority of killings carried out.

I can even give you the figures for January 1972:

Security Forces: 2
    Loyalists: 0
    Republicans: 8
    Others: 1

Your memory of 'the troubles' has been hideously distorted by your own prejudices - something you share with all Irish Nationalists.

However, your biggest problem is that you understandably magnify 'bloody sunday' as some uniquely horrific event, because it happened near where you lived. To those on The Shankill Road, The Shankill bomb was uniquely horrific, to those in Birmingham, it was those bombs and so on.

Try and think beyond your own narrow experience.

I have zero doubt that the bombing was traumatic for the people on the Shankill Rd, though I wouldn't demean their pain by stating those who express outrage about it were 'ranting and raving'.

You are still missing the point I'm making though, the analogy was a poor one, there is a world of difference between what happened at say, Loughgall and what happened on Bloody Sunday. You're preaching about context but doing it badly.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't mean to. :p

Its an interesting discussion. I think neither side will fully agree on the Troubles and the context of it.

I think you're being very generous there Keith (for whatever reason). The problem isn't contextual analysis, as Republicans have little ability to do that. The biggest problem is that Irish Republicans can't even produce evidence for many of their claims or they get said evidence wrong. There can be two reasons for this:

(i) The Irish story telling tradition.
    (ii) Discussion is crude propaganda - war by other means. Propaganda of the repetitive Goebbels style, rather than anything sophisticated - they would be incapable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I think you're being very generous there Keith (for whatever reason). The problem isn't contextual analysis, as Republicans have little ability to do that. The biggest problem is that Irish Republicans can't even produce evidence for many of their claims or they get said evidence wrong. There can be two reasons for this:

(i) The Irish story telling tradition.
    (ii) Discussion is crude propaganda - war by other means. Propaganda of the repetitive Goebbels style, rather than anything sophisticated - they would be incapable of that.

so if you were denied rights you wouldn't fight back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.......... The Irish Republican movement, inspired by a fiery doctrine of hate that verges on fascism, ..........

Dear o dear. Hyperbole overdrive.

• Advertisement

so if you were denied rights you wouldn't fight back?

thats right , the catholics should have bowed to thier protestant betters , bent over and yelled , thank you , please sir can i have another :rolleyes:

im beginning to wonder are most of the posters on this thread eoghan harris in disguise

Advertisement