Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web design training

Options
  • 07-11-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

ok so im a graphic designer of 8+ years and for the last 3 months ive been studying html & css. ive recently completed 2 learnable.com courses - css for beginners and just finished the practical course. also read the headfirst html & css book.

while im getting a good idea of how both work hand in hand, i need help in putting it all together. its easy for me to draft home pages and layouts in photoshop, but as far as slicing it all up etc, im lost. would be interested if anyone could either recommend other source material, books etc or would be willing to do one to one. After looking at some of the courses in Dublin, i really dont think they provide the knowledge needed. Some still insist on using frames and tables to layout pages and usually half the course consists of theory. id much prefer to pay to get straight into it than ársing about for a considerable amount of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is it just the PSD to HTML slicing specifically that you're looking to learn, or more than that? If it's just that, there's a bunch of options. Check out this article from sitepoint (older but still relevant). This article gives a bigger picture overview.

If you're willing to pay for good info, then have a look at this ebook ($29) - free sample - it only includes the first few pages but gives you a good idea what the book is like. I haven't bought this one but I'm a fan of Envato and NetTuts - I'd expect it to be worth the money.

If you're looking for more than just the slicing, post up some more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Cheers Trojan. Well to be honest i want to add another string to the bow so to speak. ive always been interested in web design and did a course in iact quite a while ago. since employers are looking for a designer that has both print and web skills....and im kinda getting bored with print design....i figure this might be a career change further on with room for develolment once i start using other scripts in sites i produce.

but not getting too far ahead of myself, to be able to take a web design from concept to finished product as i can with print design would be the aim. so everything really. have to learn how to walk before i can run!

The majority of courses offered are poor.even some back street colleges giving diploma's after a period of ten or so weeks learning just html. ive learnt more by online tuts and reading books in the last three months than anything out there. trouble is im more more inclined to judge books and tuts by persons who know them instead of taking a stab in the dark and wasting time...or even learning the wrong techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

p wrote:

Have you done it? That looks really good.
    duke916 wrote: »
    but not getting too far ahead of myself, to be able to take a web design from concept to finished product as i can with print design would be the aim. so everything really. have to learn how to walk before i can run!

The first site referenced in my signature could provide you with some, but not all, of what you're looking for there. (The parts we don't currently teach are the visual design aspect, and the coding. The parts we do teach are all the rest - the practical bits of setting up CMS, hosting, domains etc.)
    The majority of courses offered are poor.even some back street colleges giving diploma's after a period of ten or so weeks learning just html.

I've posted before about some of the difficulties in teaching these in real world institutions - the problems being massive scope and frequently changing content - it's very difficult for these institutions to keep up when they're operating on year or even multi-year cycles and the technologies are moving rapidly.
    ive learnt more by online tuts and reading books in the last three months than anything out there. trouble is im more more inclined to judge books and tuts by persons who know them instead of taking a stab in the dark and wasting time...or even learning the wrong techniques.

My post here is biased - I've a vested interest in telling you that my product, SelfAssemblySites is good and does some of what you need - but if you do have a look at it I'd appreciate an honest warts and all review here in public :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Trojan wrote: »
    Have you done it? That looks really good.
    Nah, might be a little bit basic for me :p

It's run by a good guy, who knows is stuff as is passionate. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's got good reviews.

• Advertisement

p wrote: »

It's run by a good guy, who knows is stuff as is passionate. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's got good reviews.

Nothing's perfect these days, not in these times of agile development. The content listing looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

p wrote: »

ive called this guy a few weeks back and although it did seem the more attractive than any other course out there, I felt it really wasnt for me. I would have already been able for at least half the course. If i was to carry on the way Im going, then by the time the course is over then i would be even further ahead and only putting less than a third of the course fees into other online sources and books so, unless its 'exactly' what im looking for then there is no point. one thing that put me off most of the courses in the city (not mad art!) was the introduction lasting at least 2/3 weeks, explaining how the web works, servers, etc. Surely if you have an interest then then bare minimum should be already known. Prefer the intro to last less than 5 mins and then get stuck into it. only way to learn. just because you do 2/3 hours per week in a course doesnt mean it stops there.

Advertisement