Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Benefit

Options
  • 30-10-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

i suffer from depression and extreme anxiety:( which prevents me from being able to work.

would i be entitled to Disability Benefit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

luckyfrank wrote: »
    no

why? i psyically and mentally woudnt be able to cope with work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Apply. You will have to undergo a medical examination with a Medico appointed by DSW. Note it could be anything up to 8 months before you get a decision. In the long run, you would be way, way better off if you are working, even part-time.

Apply. You will have to undergo a medical examination with a Medico appointed by DSW. Note it could be anything up to 8 months before you get a decision. In the long run, you would be way, way better off if you are working, even part-time.

il have no probs with medicals:) i dont even have the guts to apply for jobs thats how bad i am lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

pudzey im sorry you feel so bad. coming on here hasnt done you much good in the way of getting some information. basically if you have enough PRSI contributions and your gp completes a illness benefit cert, then, yes, you will get illness benefit for up to 2 years depending on contributions and a possible refferal to a medical referree.your payment should be in place within 2 weeks of successfull application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

pudzey101 wrote: »
    why? i psyically and mentally woudnt be able to cope with work

I have GAD and depression i applied an was refused, i had doc and shrink letters, still refused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

each case is different so I would still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi :)

i suffer from depression and extreme anxiety:( which prevents me from being able to work.

would i be entitled to Disability Benefit?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

If you satisfy all the criteria you're in with a good shout.

MyKeyG wrote: »

thats an 'allowance' payment he is talking about 'benefit'

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Indeed he is. Apologies.:o

no worries!:)

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Indeed he is. Apologies:o

I remember trying to get it before and I failed because my PRSI contributions in the previous tax year were insufficient so that has something to do with it.

thanks for all the help guys!!:) one of my mates is on disibilty due to asthma though? i know plenty of people working in my town that have that :)

I am on DA for anxiety and depression. A lot of people don't understand the condition so expect rolly eyes and snide remarks. It was refused first time but after a letter from my shrink it was approved. I can't say why you're being turned down.

I know people on DA because they have alopecia and only alopecia. I have alopecia too and that's the least of my problems!! I understand where you're coming from with being afraid to even apply for jobs at the moment.

Citizens Info are great with this sort of thing. My local office put me in touch with a disability liaison officer in my area who also wrote a letter to the office and would have come with me had I had to have a second appeal. No harm dropping into them, hope you get people as understanding and helpful as I did.

Yeah it's a real illness, a very debilitating one, don't let attitudes get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The OP asked about Disability Benefit, which is the old name for what we now know as Illness Benefit. Illness Benefit, Disability Allowance and Invalidity Pension are 3 completely different payments. Although people are kind enough to share there experiences of applying for DA or Invalidity pension, they each have a totally different criteria to Illness Benefit, so no comparisons can be made. If the OP has been employed for the last number of years and paying an A class contribution, and if the GP signs a SW cert for him/her, then i see no reason why he/she wouldnt get an Illness Benefit payment within the next couple of weeks.

Advertisement