Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:( Hope she's OK andrea

We're pretty much at the end of our tether with Darcey's obsessive paw-licking/chewing. All 3 paws are nearly bare at this stage and we've run out of steriod tablets to control it. Although we're fairly sure she's allergic to a million other things, the possibility of a dust mite allergy has been mentioned to us. Thankfully since we've wooden floors/lino in most areas that she frequents, treatment seems fairly simple - wash her bedding at least once a week, hoover the carpeted areas 3 times a week and use an anti-mite spray on the carpets once a week. Do that for a month, then just keep hoovering and washing her beds on a regular basis and in theory it should be sorted.

Hopefully I can come back in 6 weeks and declare it fixed!

I'm also expecting to come home to a very depressed doggie this evening. Literally had to drag her out into the rain yesterday to go the loo. I'm not sure if she can take another day stuck inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks guys, ill know more tomorrow so ill be keeping everything crossed.

God Seamus that sounds terrible too. Theres always something isnt there? That paw licking thing sounds quite hard to treat though, so i hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

andreac wrote: »
    Poor Flo is booked in to the vets in the morning :( Shes been lame for the last 2 weeks but had improved. Had her on Metacam and rest and our horse physio had been working on her too as i thought it was judt muscular but looks likes shes done something more than that :(

I really hope its not Hip Displacia or her cruciate. It seems to be up high so thought she pulled something in her hip. Will know more tomorrow anyway.

Hope it's nothing too serious. Brook puts my heart sideways when she jumps for a ball, they can damage ligaments so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah good luck with Flo!! :( We're hitting the road or after the rain today i should say setting sail lol early tomorrow morning and heading down to Cork to get our Bailey boy's leg fixed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Andreac and Seamus hope you can both report back with some good news.

Well we've had an adventure tonight, took my pair up the field as usual, they love the rain so there was no way they weren't going out :D
    Boe my springer somehow managed to go down into a 7 foot sheer drop ditch filled with brambles... I spent about 15 minutes trying to find him and then figuring out how to get down to him, I then discovered he was in a hole which obviously had a creature of some sort in it and he wasn't coming out, I then spent ages digging him out and managed to get his lead through his harness and pulled him out and up the ditch, my lovely White and liver dog came home head to toe brown :o
    Took another 15 minutes to shower him off in the garden and he's now drying off in front of the fire, the joys of dogs and mud :eek:

• Advertisement

Well we've had an adventure tonight, took my pair up the field as usual, they love the rain so there was no way they weren't going out :D
    Boe my springer somehow managed to go down into a 7 foot sheer drop ditch filled with brambles... I spent about 15 minutes trying to find him and then figuring out how to get down to him, I then discovered he was in a hole which obviously had a creature of some sort in it and he wasn't coming out, I then spent ages digging him out and managed to get his lead through his harness and pulled him out and up the ditch, my lovely White and liver dog came home head to toe brown :o
    Took another 15 minutes to shower him off in the garden and he's now drying off in front of the fire, the joys of dogs and mud :eek:

Omg thats a scary story:eek: Im sure you were freaking out trying to get him out of the hole!! Glad hes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

andreac wrote: »
    Omg thats a scary story:eek: Im sure you were freaking out trying to get him out of the hole!! Glad hes ok.

Freaking isn't the word, I was convinced I wasn't going to get him back, am just so glad I was well wrapped up, I had my torch and I had leads for both dogs, I had to tie Jazz to a tree while I rescued him. She was not impressed with that :o
    He throughly enjoyed himself, what a night fir his hunting instincts to get in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 guys!! All we can do is our best. 4.5hr commute home for me and all i could think about was Beanie stook in his crate for the whole day. The guilt!

Well we were up at the crack of dawn and have left our baba in for his op have to call at 1:00pm and see when we can collect him and take him home!

Oh hope all goes well TK123 with Bailey. Hope its not too tough on him.

Well Flo was dropped in to the vets this morn, so will get whatever she needs whether it be x-ray, scan etc. I should know more around lunchtime. Im nearly sure its her cruciate so whether its a full rupture or partial rupture, ill know more in a few hours. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

:eek: what is going on around here lately with all the medical stuff? Good luck Andreac & TK, let us know how they get on.

Mymo how is Ollie since?

Anniohoo I havent heard of HD in cats, is it very uncommon? I know next to nothing about cats.

His bandage is PINK! Lol! The surgeon was really happy with the op and how it turned out. On the way back to Dublin with my head against the crate and my arm under his head poor baba

179323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So myself and hubby were thrilled with ourselves on sunday having finished kitting out our dogs' shed, complete with insulation, cladding, bunkbeds and a superser plus carpeting. Puffed up like kings we were, no living with us.

Fast forward 24 hours and thanks to the ridiculous torrential rain the garden flooded and the shed was under an inch of water, gutted :( So now operation Clean Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

To join the crew, one of my girls hasn't been putting her front leg down for over a week, it was x-rayed today and the vet discovered an old, untreated fracture that had healed. She must have knocked it or landed awkwardly on it last week. So she's now got her whole leg bandaged up, with a splint. Crate rest for 3 weeks. So sad though, makes me wonder what she went through before she came to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Jaysus, the dogs are dropping like flies!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What is going on??!! The A&PI October curse?

Ah no ISDW! :( We have a splint this time too which comes off in 2 weeks and the stitches will come out then too so handier than loads of bandage changes like last time. He cried for a min last night then went to sleep and is snoozing now after having his breakfast :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Can I join the battered dog brigade - not as serious as some but Ben broke one of his front teeth & had to be knock out & have it removed this morning!! Spaced out here beside me & on painkillers for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

There really must be something going around, it's unreal the amount of you nursing pets at the moment! :eek: Nothing to report here..... yet. :eek: Will be keeping a close eye on both of them and keeping them under lock and key just in case!

Zapperzy wrote: »
    There really must be something going around, it's unreal the amount of you nursing pets at the moment! :eek: Nothing to report here..... yet. :eek: Will be keeping a close eye on both of them and keeping them under lock and key just in case!

Well ours was planned so i'm kind of relaxed about it lol! He's been good as gold all day - scoffing his kong dindins at the moment! :)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Well ours was planned so i'm kind of relaxed about it lol! He's been good as gold all day - scoffing his kong dindins at the moment! :)

Glad to hear it, how long will he be on crate rest? Hope he (and everyone else here) has a speedy recovery! Love his pink bandage! :p

That reminds me I must feed my own hungry hound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

how long will Bailey be in the crate TK?

Any news on Flo's op?

Thank God for crates!!

He'll be in for 4 weeks full time, then he can have short walks and supervised time out for another couple of weeks until i'm happy that he's not sore. We let him out after the 4 weeks last time and he got hurt 2 weeks later when a muppet dog repeatedly tried to jump up on him - he ad to get xrays done in case a pin was loose/broken out and it was really scary so playing it safe this time. I'll let him have a lie down on the floor or sit outside with him to get some air when I take him out to the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

@ Tillygirl, Ollie is fine now, was a bit quiet for a couple of days and didn't get out much over the weekend due to the rain and my being ill. Yesterday he met his friends on our walk and it was the first time since the bang on the head that I saw him really bouncy. Back to normal now and playing with the cat again (stair gate closed),

TK, Bailey carries off the pink well, suits him. Hope he does as well this time as last time, poor chap, hard doing all that crate rest.

TooManyDogs, thats awful, hope the damage isn't too bad.

On a positive note, one of my neighbours has just got a baby Dachshund, she's soooo cute, I want to put her in my pocket and run away. She's all licks and wag, tiny though. Puppy kisses are the best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How are all the dogs doing? I'm leaving two of mine into a kennels we haven't used before for the weekend. Hate kennels :(

A minor incident earlier - some of the potato & salmon Robbies from his kong got on the bandage so I've put a sock over the end of so it doesn't get too wrecked before it comes off in 2 weeks lol :pac: He's been good as gold so far - I know it's only early days and he's still tired from the op but last time it took a week or two to get him this settled so it's less stressful this time for everyone.
    179486.jpg

Just added up some very basic yearly costs for the cat and the dog, just very basic stuff food, boarding, yearly vaccs, litter, various supplements etc. (none of the little stuff I pick up every time I walk into a pet shop like toys, treats or new collars). Shocked myself a little. :eek: The cat costs over twice as much as the dog a year! :eek: And that doesn't include any of the to-ing and fro-ing back and forth to vets I did during the summer with the cat!

So much for cats being cheap, easy to run pets! So that's it the cats gotta go unless she starts pulling her weight! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know what you mean, I have often said the same when the dogs wakes me at 6.30am on a sunday "Go get a job and leave me sleep", or when I he does something silly (like last weeks knocking himself out) and costs me money. Although adding up the costs is very scarey!

Bloody hell I don't think I'm brave enough to add it up!! :D I do spend a lot on him especially with him going to daycare twice a week and hydro for months to get him built up for his op but I've made adjustments to allow for it - eg I take my lunch to work, I gave up coffees - (5 x coffee = €15 = 1 daycare day), I tend to buy say the shower gel, shampoo etc that's on offer to save, I buy trays of coke in Tescos so they work out at 40c instead of 90cent from the machine etc etc So basically I slum it and he get's pampered haha! :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 more weeks of crate rest for Beanie :o with Loxicam (anti inflammatory). Vet is still reluctant to operate (its a big deal for a cat) and he's seen improvement since last week so he really wants it to rectify itself with cage rest and antiinflams if possible.

So...not the worst news but not the best either. This week felt sooooo long though...can only imagine what the next 2 are going to be like, and if he does go for surgery in the end it will be another 4-6 complete cage rest again on top of that :eek: He's in good form though! So Beanie, the only cat will be joining the Boards Crate Club for awhile :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement