Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sodslaw

hippo pants are you talking about a adapter for something to one in another country?, if so they are a bleeding nightmare, i got an item from america and i had to buy 3 adapters from power city to try to get it to work and none worked. i eventually used the one i got with my phone and it worked.
    well i suppose u can right the cost of the adapter from the money you saved on the purchase price, not perfect but at least you got what you wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just ordered a lens and Lowepro camera bag from this site, quite a bit cheaper than the other sites around. Will post my experiences...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Just ordered a lens and Lowepro camera bag from this site, quite a bit cheaper than the other sites around. Will post my experiences...

Arrived today after I missed the delivery yesterday. No problems at all with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwidublin

I purchased a samsung camera from this crowd on Thursday 3rd March. Payment left my laser card the next day, i recieved emails to say it was on it's way 2-7 days.

Monday 5th March i get an email direct from emma at simply. She said that i had been upgraded to next day delivery with dhl and gave me a dhl number.

Tuesday.. nothing

wednesday nothing...email to emma - she said to be patient and my camera would be there soon.

Thursday... sent an email to emma, she replied saying that they would follow up the matter with DHL.

Monday 14th still nothing.. I emailed emma again and she said.. they were still looking into the matter with the relevant department?

Tuesday i rung DHL - they checked the code and they said the item had nver been picked up from simply electronics..

Emailed emma again saying "what's going on.. this code means nothing... you haven't even sent the product... etc"

She replied by saying that they were looking into the issue with DHL.....

I know this company is lying to me! it's anoying me!! and it's stressing me out...

Is it on it's way from hong kong?? So why would they give me a dhl tracking number?? so weird...

What do you guys think??

I'm just going to wait at this stage... i'll keep you all updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

they are very dodgey i was hgoing to buy from them until i did some research stay clear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

kiwidublin wrote: »
    Is it on it's way from hong kong?? So why would they give me a dhl tracking number?? so weird...

DHL operate worldwide. They are particularly strong in Hong Kong and a lot of small packets from Hong Kong are shipped with DHL. Time from pick up to delivery is about 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwidublin

sandin wrote: »
    DHL operate worldwide. They are particularly strong in Hong Kong and a lot of small packets from Hong Kong are shipped with DHL. Time from pick up to delivery is about 3 days.

No but the tracking number says it was picked up in England.. I think it's just a fake packing number.

I rung DHL.. they said it's never been picked up physically.

I am now in the process of trying to get a refund..

Simply have said they will do this (first they offered me a replacement) i didn't want to go through the waiting again..

I'll let you know how long the refund takes..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

Do you by any chance work for simplyelectronics Qwikpix??

No. I am a self-employed Irish lawyer and have absolutely no connection whatever with SimplyElectronics other than as a customer on three occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 multyannette

Hi Kiwidublin,

Any updates from SimplyE? I am in the same position - waiting, waiting.......An Amazon Kindle in my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hi Kiwidublin,

Any updates from SimplyE? I am in the same position - waiting, waiting.......An Amazon Kindle in my case!

like many others you will be left waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Hey guys, any new info on this company ?
    Looking at a camera, but if they havn't improved will have to look else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 multyannette

I eventually received my Amazon Kindle after a wait of nearly 4 weeks. The small saving made wasn't worth the anxious wait and time wasted in daily emails to the company - not recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

The mrs recently had a run in with these chancers over a smartphone. Their version of verified by visa was "send a photocopy of your passport and visa card" . When i checked them out and saw the form, i told her wait and if phone didnt arrive as per contracted date to do a chargeback, not their own return method. she did and visa said they would investigate further. ill update when i hear more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leroyas

Hello..

I am not from Ireland, but I have the same problems with Simplyelectronics.. after paying two smartphones with visa electron,
    they demanded some evidence in connection with my visa, personal documents and such things.. it looked so to me like they just wanted my money not really to sell the smartphones, and I thought they must be investing it or something like that.. It looks like that is their tactic - show low prices and get so many orders and payments as possible, many canceled orders...who knows.. and then loan the money to someone, get interest and keep everyone waiting on the refund...
    now I am writing emails to them and getting back stupid polite emails...give us 3-5 day, again and again, we are trying, we will contact you as soon as we will refund..something like that..
    I think the police in hongkong should do better...such firms are disgrace to whole country. I will never again do business with them, not in hongkong not in china.. never ever, at the end, maybe, noone will wanna do business with them.. no matter cheap prices or whatever..now I dont trust noone from over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Thanks for all the reviews guys.. I normally purchase off amazon but noticed simply electronics were selling the lens I want for cheaper. I'll definitely pay the extra for piece of mind, fast delivery and excellent customer service that I've experienced with amazon in the past. One time I made a purchase with them and I didn't receive the order and they just sent everything again then on another ocassion I purchased a game for my pc that wasn't faulty but which just wasn't compatable with my flash card and they still took it back for a refund. Now that's top class!
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ishtee

Hi,
    I just wanted to add to the other side of the story. Just bought a Canon 50mm f/1.8 from simple electronics and it was sent to me via DHL from UK. No problems there. Paid with paypal.
    About the price difference between UK, I am still confused. I am a foreign student on a scholarship and have been living here since 2008. What never made any sense to me is that if Ireland has the lowest corporate tax then how come by the time the product reaches the consumer, it gets more expensive than UK?
    The scholarships for foreign postgrad students is just enough to survive in Ireland. Which means I am always on the lookout for deals. I but my books from either amazon UK or the book depository UK. On average they are atleast 25% cheaper from any Irish online book sellers. To meet my passion for photography, I extensively use UK online sellers as they are atleast 30% cheaper (including the insured delivery service!).
    I am sure a lot of Irish do the same and Ireland really needs to have a closer look into its tax system so that it remains competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upddubs

just after buying a smart phone of this crowd.alarm bells started to ring when they looked for me to send details of home address plus credit card,two days after the money was stopped out of my paypal account!yeap thats right paypal,still thinking i was dealing with company in the uk i rang after 50 fustrating mins on phone,penny started to drop. have been on to paypal to complain.then seen thid forum hence the title oh no.no email reply no word on phone and im still down 220 euro and feeling foolish and a little sick,hopefully paypal will be able to sort something out

just an update, they failed to provide phone on date and the Mrs did her chargeback and got her money back, (and got phone somewhere reliable)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upddubs

a quick update.still no word from simply electronics.however started a dispute via paypal and im after getting refunded full amount.the whole idea of using paypal is so we dont give out our details on the net something funny about simply electronics me thinks.anyway got money back and learned to check before buying in future

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BartleDoo

Listen folks, stay well clear of SE.
    I bought a Sigma70-200mm 2.8 HSM Nikon fit lens of them back on 28th February. The lens worked for about a month, I say a month but I only used it a dozen times during that period when the auto focus packed in. I contacted them by email and they responded by telling me that I'd have to return the product to an address in the UK (Isle of Wight to be precise) for repair. They also informed me by email that it would take them 7-10 working days for them to send me a report on the product ie what repairs it needed how long this would take and whether or not the repairs were covered under the guarentee.
    Anyhow I sent the faulty lens onto the address they gave me by registered post on the 10 May, the tracking no showed they recieved the parcel on the 16th May however this was never confirmed at any stage despite numerious emails and phone calls to them.
    Eventually they made it known to me that it normally took 28 working days for repairs to be carried out, I was shocked to say the least.
    28 working days has come and gone, and it is now 42 working days 58 days in total from they recieved my faulty lens on 16th May and they haven't yet returned it to me.
    SimplyElectronics are rogue traders as far as I'm concerned, €700 down the drain.
    They are extremely hard to contact by phone and emailing them is a complete waste of time.
    I've given up at this stage.
    Just to let you know the credit card used to purchase the lens was somehow scamed a forthnight after I used it to buy from SE and €715 was stolen from my account, it was charged this amount to DELL Ireland and I had no dealings whatsoever with them. Luckily enough I got that money back.

SO PLEASE BEWARE, I'D URGE PEOPLE TO SERIOUSLY THINK BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM SIMPLYELECTRONICS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've bought a digital camera from SE with no problems.

I recently bought a zoom lense for my DSLR but changed my mind about needing it before it shipped.
    I contacted SE and cancelled. After a few emails they approved the refund.
    It took a while but I got my money refunded without any problem.

barltedoo, have you contacted visa about doing a chargeback on the lens? doesnt sound like you got what you contracted for to me. dont let them get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 George Huxley 1983

Boy am i glad to have read this. I had been considering buying a smart phone from this "Manchester based company" until doing so :pac:

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigjez

I ordered a Nikon camera last sunday using Paypal. Just checked today and it says its packing. The first time ive logged in to check. Will let you know how i get on. Like everyone else I thought they were ok until i read the reviews. I saw a sponsored link on google and thought that was pretty official and if its sponsored it must be good. Ive had a few disputes in Paypal before and have always got my money back. Hopefully it doesnt come to that. €600 is what Im in for!

Bigjez wrote: »
    I ordered a Nikon camera last sunday using Paypal. Just checked today and it says its packing. The first time ive logged in to check. Will let you know how i get on. Like everyone else I thought they were ok until i read the reviews. I saw a sponsored link on google and thought that was pretty official and if its sponsored it must be good. Ive had a few disputes in Paypal before and have always got my money back. Hopefully it doesnt come to that. €600 is what Im in for!

I checked my email last night and i got a DHL tracking number saying it was on its way. Started in Reading and went to East Midlands. Heres hoping its not a box of bricks.:eek: So good so far. Will it not make it out of Midlands because of a fault. Who Knows?

I checked my email last night and i got a DHL tracking number saying it was on its way. Started in Reading and went to East Midlands. Heres hoping its not a box of bricks.:eek: So good so far. Will it not make it out of Midlands because of a fault. Who Knows?
    I missed the delivery yesterday but collected it today. Got the camera and all seems to be ok with it. I had ordered an 8gb memory card but that didnt arrive. I have emailed and am awaiting a response. Still happy I got the camera for the price I did. No Tax either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_007 wrote: »

WARNING - DO NOT SEND THEM ANY FORM OF PHOTO ID THEY REQUEST FOR ALLEGED VERIFICATION PURPOSES - THIS HAS ONE PURPOSE ONLY. THAT IS FOR YOUR PASSPORT OR DRIVERS LICENSE TO BE SOLD ON THE CHINESE INTERNATIONAL BLACK MARKET.

And where did you get this from ?

Ive ordered stuff in the past with no issue and no request for my id

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _007

tatranska. I was once a victim of their scam and after having information from visa and a police investigation in the UK and a host of other personal miss uses of my information that led me to want to warn others including you. You got your money back after awhile meaning your money was resting in their account no doubt, and you are very lucky.

Their identity theft is a recent scam and just do a google search and you will find thousands of people who have all suffered at the hands of these Con Artists!

I missed the delivery yesterday but collected it today. Got the camera and all seems to be ok with it. I had ordered an 8gb memory card but that didnt arrive. I have emailed and am awaiting a response. Still happy I got the camera for the price I did. No Tax either.
    I got the memory card on Monday. I only sent one email explaining it was missing and got a swift response. I have no idea what all the Frau business is about. Paying through paypal helps. I was never asked to confirm my address. I will possibly purchase a lens in the future from them as I had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭THRASHER73

Had eyeballed a smartphone on SE that gave a nice discount, & like the rest of you just wanted to check SE out on reviews... on here they sound right dodgy but at the same time most have received their stuff, others refunds.
    Some recieved faulty items but are SE to blame for it? I mean if i buy a HTC phone then HTC clearly manufactured it right? do SE carry warranties for their items or wud u have to return faulty items to HTC for eg?

Is paypal the way to go with this crowd?

Advertisement