Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MOTU] Your own inexplicable experiences

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Post 'em here!

I've been subject to what's traditionally called "fairy-leading", that is, getting completely lost in a familiar place. In this case it was a field, accompanied by a friend (whose parents owned the field) who experienced the same thing at the same time. I don't know how to describe it apart from the place suddenly seemed utterly unfamiliar for no discernible reason, and we didn't have a clue where to go. And no, we weren't eating mushrooms or drunk or anything. The old folklore about this kind of thing says turn your coat or pockets inside out and you'll find your way again. So we tried it. And it worked!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I was in bed and felt the matress sag as if someone sat on the side of the bed.. i looked around expecting to tell my brother to fúck off, but no-one was there.. so i put it down to being half asleep and getting that "falling sensation, and you jump awake"..

That happened about approx 10 years ago. I've since moved out and the exact same thing happened the other night. I was listening to my ipod and the side of the matress sagged, as if someone sat on the side of the bed..
    My wife was the only other person in the flat, but was watching telly at the time.

No drink/drugs involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

im not sure if this would be an experience or a dream.
    i am nearly positive i was awake when this happened the other night.
    i was in bed it was very early in the morining maybe 2 or 3am and i woke up and couldnt move i was trying to get my phone from my bedside locker to see the time but couldnt move at all not even my arms only my eyes it felt like something was sitting on my chest i looked up and all i could see was black shadows so in my mind i started to tell this black thing to go away and leave me alone but it honeslty felt like something was pinning me down after what felt like ages but was probably only a minute or two the weight lifted off my chest and i started coughing. it was like i was after holding my breath for ages. this has happened me once or twice before but years ago but it kinda freaked me out but i put it down to a dream but i could have sworn i was awake

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

auntyweeze wrote: »
    im not sure if this would be an experience or a dream.
    i am nearly positive i was awake when this happened the other night.
    i was in bed it was very early in the morining maybe 2 or 3am and i woke up and couldnt move i was trying to get my phone from my bedside locker to see the time but couldnt move at all not even my arms only my eyes it felt like something was sitting on my chest i looked up and all i could see was black shadows so in my mind i started to tell this black thing to go away and leave me alone but it honeslty felt like something was pinning me down after what felt like ages but was probably only a minute or two the weight lifted off my chest and i started coughing. it was like i was after holding my breath for ages. this has happened me once or twice before but years ago but it kinda freaked me out but i put it down to a dream but i could have sworn i was awake

That sounds like sleep paralysis. I've never experienced it myself but I'd imagine it is pretty unsettling the first time you get it, especially if you haven't heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

peatcass wrote: »
    I was in bed and felt the matress sag as if someone sat on the side of the bed.. i looked around expecting to tell my brother to fúck off, but no-one was there.. so i put it down to being half asleep and getting that "falling sensation, and you jump awake"..

That happened about approx 10 years ago. I've since moved out and the exact same thing happened the other night. I was listening to my ipod and the side of the matress sagged, as if someone sat on the side of the bed..
    My wife was the only other person in the flat, but was watching telly at the time.

No drink/drugs involved.

That has happened to me also, only one in the room and the matress sagged. And made a rather loud "BONG" sound too. Have noticed it on a couple of occasions on different beds.

That has happened to me also, only one in the room and the matress sagged. And made a rather loud "BONG" sound too. Have noticed it on a couple of occasions on different beds.
    Ha ha, no, it was like someone was sitting beside me, the next second can feel it going back to normal as if someone stood back up.

Have had plenty of springs go in matresses to know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

peatcass wrote: »
    Ha ha, no, it was like someone was sitting beside me, the next second can feel it going back to normal as if someone stood back up.

Have had plenty of springs go in matresses to know the difference.

Should have put in more detail, it happened as per your description, matress sagged as if some one was sitting on it, then went back up after a short time. I just remember the bong of the springs as it freaked me out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

raveni wrote: »
    That sounds like sleep paralysis. I've never experienced it myself but I'd imagine it is pretty unsettling the first time you get it, especially if you haven't heard of it before.

Aye, I've had this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

raveni wrote: »

Had this only last week. I get it every couple of months. Horrible feeling, yet it only lasts a couple of seconds. Usually happens to me if I'm really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

rhonin wrote: »
    Had this only last week. I get it every couple of months. Horrible feeling, yet it only lasts a couple of seconds. Usually happens to me if I'm really tired.
    It's more common than some might think. Incidentally there's a thread on it and hallucinations (which can also be a part of it) in the sleeping and dreaming forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044337

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have had sleep paralysis several times, the first two or three times were terrifying, however the few times it happened afterwards i was aware that i was asleep and that i had nothing to worry about. The last time it happened i said to mself that all i had to do was go back to sleep and wake again, so i closed my eyes and opened them again and i was awake and able to move again. But it was still 'freaky'

My other inexplicable experience was when i used to live with my grandmother when i was at school (she lived on her own and so i stayed with her for company) Anyway she used to call me for school every morning at 8:20am. Her alarm would go off at 8:10 and she would get dressed and then come down the hall and knock on my door to get me up. I was generally awake and would wait till she knocked before i would get up. One morning, i was awake from about 8ish but lay there anyway waiting for her to come down the hall and knock on the door. By 8:25 there was no sign of her so i got up and got ready. I had breakfast and was figuring she slept it out and was going to head to school and leave her to sleep for another while but i decided i should let her know i was away as i was in after she went to bed the night before and i didnt want her worrying so i went and knocked on her door, no answer, so went in and she was lying in the bed with her eyes closed and looked like she was sleeping peacefully. I called her several times with no response. I knew something was wrong and went over to her and she was stone cold. My poor nana had died. Anyway the doc said she died in her sleep and would have had no pain and probably not even realised her heart had stopped. Once her remains were taken up to the front room for the wake, i went down to the room and had a look at her alarm clock which hadnt gone off. It was the old wind up bell type. The clock was wound and the alarm was set. So i moved on the hands to 8.05 o clock and waited and low and behold the alarm went off at 8:10 like normal yet it didnt go off that morning. Maybe there was a mechanical reason for that but i tend to believe it was more a spiritual thing...sorry for the long winded story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

I was in the kitchen with my Mum and suddenly we both heard my Grandma's voice from the living-room. The thing is that my Grandma was out of town that day but we did hear her calling!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

About 10 years ago i was going to bed one night and was goin reading a hotpress magazine i bought that day i went down the hall opened my bedroom door BUT didnt turn on the light cause i was goin to go to the jax i could see my bed with the light from the hall ANYWAY..i threw my magazine onto the bed from the door and as i saw it land on the bed it completely dissapeared i thought i was seeing things i turned on the light looked at the bed NO MAGAZINE looked down the side of the bed NO MAGAZINE thought it slid under the pillow looked ..NO MAGAZINE it freaked me the **** out and still does i reckon my mag is in some alternate universe thats my freaky story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I always ignored this forum when it was called Boardean times because I had no idea what it was for.

Anyway, years ago Yuri Geller was on the LLS and wanted everyone who was watching the program to place a spoon on the top of their TV sets. At the count of three (Geller was counting), everyone watching was to shout 'JUMP!' and, he predicted the spoons would leap off the monitor.

In my house, we dutifully placed a spoon on the TV and all shouted 'JUMP!' when Geller said to.

Nothing happened, and I went down to my room. Twenty minutes later, I heard excited voices talking in the living room and my father came down to tell me that the spoon had suddenly sprung from the TV set. I sceptically returned to the living room and observed everyone standing there, looking incredulously at an innocuous looking spoon on the floor, as though it were a thing of wonder.

I picked it up and put it back on the TV set. We waited, but nothing happened. After a while, my parents went to the local pub and my sisters went to bed. I alone was in the living room. Perhaps 45 minutes later, I observed the spoon slowly rotating, like the needle of a compass, on top of the TV set.

I was fascinated. To determine if the audio was causing a vibration in the spoon and making it move, I muted the TV. But the spoon kept moving. Excitedly, I went down to my sisters and told them what was happening. When we entered the living room, the spoon was on the floor, about two metres from the TV.

That was the most inexplicable thing that I ever witnessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

When I was about 17 or 18 and still living at home with my parents I woke up in the middle of the night and there was someone in my room (had my own room, never shared it with anyone) I coudn't see anyone but could feel that someone was there (as in feel a presence not physically feel them). I wasn't in the least bit afraid though. I just felt really calm and as though I knew that whoever it was, was there to watch over me and mind me. I found old photos of my great grandad afterwards (who had died in 1936) and I don't know why, but I'm so sure that the person in my room was him. I keep one of those photos in my wallet now.
    It was a really comforting feeling and unfortunately only happened once, but I'd really love to experience it again, and know that someone somewhere is looking after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

This was really weird:

Yesterday, after a job day, I went picking up my scooter to go back home. I noticed some ants on the "shelf" where you put your feet; I examined closer, and I noticed they were not just "a few", they were dozens! :confused:
    Is there any remains of food? Let me remove the "carmat" ("scootermat" :confused: )
    No, there is no food or any liquid.... but there are HUNDREDS of ants!!! :eek::confused:
    What are they doing? Where do they come from??!
    Let me look closer: they're all grouped inside a hole... a very small cavity, 1 cm wide by 3 cm deep... They filled it with their EGGS!!! :confused:
    Eggs?!?
    Why the hell should ants move their eggs, the mous precious things they have, into my scooter? (have you ever tried to grab an egg from an ant's forelegs? They prefer getting killed than leaving them!).
    I tried getting them away by blowing on them (didn't want to touch them), and they LEFT the eggs, and they start to DIE around! :eek::confused:
    Die?!? I didn't even touch them!!

What the hell did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

OK this isn't my own, it happened a friend of my mother, but it's a unusual one to say the least:

When she was a teenager she had to go the funeral of a distant relative (I can't remember exactly which cemetery it was but suffice to say it was in Dublin). As she was waiting in the cemetery she looked over and caught site of one of the headstones and was intrigued to see that its 'occupant' had the same name as her. This wasn't exceptionally unusual as this woman has a very common Irish name and surname. Anyway she wandered over to it out of curiosity and got a serious shock when she saw that the date of death of this dead woman was the same date as her own birthday. She called her aunt over who had a look at it and agreed that it was very strange but probably coincidental.

So the funeral finished and they returned home etc. A couple of days later she went back to the cemetery to inquire further. This time however it wasn't there and although convinced she had the right spot she searched around but alas to no avail. She went to the records keeper at the cemetery and gave the name and DOD but he could find no record of such a person. She went back a few times but never saw it again.

Normally I call BS on stories like these but this woman is far from the superstitious type and would, like me, be quite a sceptic. But the fact she had physically touched the headstone, seen it up close and that her aunt also could attest to seeing is all very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

OK this isn't my own, it happened a friend of my mother, but it's a unusual one to say the least:
    Disturbing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

as a small child I had one sometimes two people stand at the door and look into my bedroom at night, they had no discernable faces as the only light was from the hall and in the darkness of the room they were just basically a shadow.
    It happened most nights and to me seemed a long time. I just assumed it was my parents checking on me.
    I mentioned it years later in conversation to them with regards to over protective and fretting parents, it turned out they hardly ever looked in on me and never came in together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

No drink/drugs involved.

You have a sagging mattress?

snafuk35 wrote: »
    You have a sagging mattress?

is this young persons talk for something else?
    I only recently found out what a wizards sleeve is!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

OK this isn't my own, it happened a friend of my mother .....

Was ye mothers friends name " Audery Rose " ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

is this young persons talk for something else?
    I only recently found out what a wizards sleeve is!!

??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

I had an out of body experience where I was listening to Drum n Bass. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

For many years now, longer than I can remember and since I was a child, just as I'm about to fall asleep, I experience a sudden flash of golden light that brings me back awake for a while. Just the one time when it happens, a sudden start as the 'light' happens, and then I go to sleep. I drive my wife bats, as I usually call out 'what was that?', even though I know what it was...

I also have the 'double waking' - I wake up and then, sit on the edge of the bed and look around and then - just when I'm about to stand up, I REALLY wake up and I'm still on my back or side...

...and I've often describe places I've never been to before I walk through the door. No, not famous places that I might have seen on TV, but mundane places that are just impossible for me to know about.

Spooky, eh?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

i have dreamed about certain places that i have never been too,and when i ask people who have been to these places i can describe them down to a tee....i also dreamt before that trees and bushs at the front of a friends house had been cut down,when i passed the house a week later they were gone,when i asked him when were they cut he only cut them two days before...weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

doublejj wrote: »
    i have dreamed about certain places that i have never been too,and when i ask people who have been to these places i can describe them down to a tee....i also dreamt before that trees and bushs at the front of a friends house had been cut down,when i passed the house a week later they were gone,when i asked him when were they cut he only cut them two days before...weird
    I had a dream I was gonna have frosties for breakfast and when I woke up...guess what?? I had frosties?!?!?!?!

Weirrrrrrrrrrd!!!

doublejj wrote: »
    I had a dream I was gonna have frosties for breakfast and when I woke up...guess what?? I had frosties?!?!?!?!

Weirrrrrrrrrrd!!!
    After hours is that way
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Weirrrrrrrrrrd!!!

I had a dream that you would get banned if you troll here. Let's see if it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I have known of incidences in my family regarding "knowing" or "feeling" when a person died.

When I was very young, my grandmother was sick for a few weeks and we knew she was probably going to die soon. One morning around 10am I was out playing in the snow and I got this feeling that she died then. I would say I knew she died. I found out later that she had died around 10am.

I would be a quite skeptical person so I put it down as just a co-incidence.

My dad had an incident where while working late in his career as a Detective; and while very busy a thought suddenly entered his head about a funny thing that happened when he had been out hunting with another Garda around 20 years before, someone he would have known fairly well back then but hadn't been in contact or even thought about him for years. It was quite random as he had a hundred work things on his mind and then he suddenly started thinking about that. He got a shock later to find out that that Garda had died that same day. Like I said he had no idea even if that Garda was sick or hadnt heard anything about him for years. My Dad would be the most skeptical person in the world so again he eventually put it down as a co-incidence, although at the time he was fairly shook about it.

My cousin told me she woke up in the middle of the night screaming even running into her parents room the night our granddad died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stories I like to post about my own paranormal experiences...
    Once I woke up during the night and saw the shape of an old woman towards the end of my bed. Nearly shít myself. A paranormal believer would probably throw the covers up and try to go asleep, and then tell all their true believer pals about it as evidence of the paranormal. I went to the bother of turning on the lights, and discovered that it was just an article of clothing hanging in a particular way, and being slightly illuminated by light from outside (the moon possibly).

Another time I saw what one could be forgiven for thinking was a bunch of spacecrafts having a dogfight miles up in space! Just looked like dots of light moving around each other randomly. As we turned the corner and looked up, they were gone. My paranormal-loving friend saw it too, and was clearly pleased to see that I had had a paranormal experience. I just said that I didn't know what it was, and left it at that. Saw the same thing the next day on my own, and walked further on, they disappeared again. Forgot about it, until I looked up about 5 minutes down the road, and there were a bunch of seagulls flying around in front of a billboard, being lit up by the lights Showing that (a) humans often confuse 'big but far away' with 'small but close', and (b) just because an explanation is not forthcoming or apparent does not mean it's not something mundane. Seagulls in front of a billboard would be the last thing that I'd consider.

Another recent example, I was cleaning up the sitting room a few weeks ago, and as I was leaving the room the TV came on, seemingly by itself. I wasn't near the remote at the time. Then I remembered that I had moved the remote about 2 minutes earlier, and I also remembered my mother complaining before that this new TV takes ages to come off standby when you press a button!

Advertisement