Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution - some questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

But clearly many automatically read into the title what ostensibly Dawkins did not intend.
    Dawkins used the word "selfish" provocatively and in a very specific way which is basically the central point of his book. He also explains, as above on page one, exactly what it does not mean. And he does it with as much grace as one can when defending himself against people like Mary Midgely who's made something of a career for herself in misrepresenting Dawkins view:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/apr/20/religion-philosophy-hobbes-dawkins-selfishness
    Point well taken.
    I'm not so sure -- would you not open the book (or ask here) and find out what he does mean and judge him on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

kowloon wrote: »
    I don't have much to add to the original OP except 'Inorganic Amino acids', pretty sure there's no such thing. Open to correction though.
    In 1939, Lord Northbourne coined the term organic farming in his book
    Look to the Land (1940), out of his conception of "the farm as organism,
    " to describe a holistic, ecologically-balanced approach to farming—in
    contrast to what he called chemical farming, which relied on "imported
    fertility" and "cannot be self-sufficient nor an organic whole." This is
    different from the scientific use of the term "organic," to refer to a class of
    molecules that contain carbon, especially those involved in the chemistry
    of life.
    link
    "To make a living cell requires matter, as well as free energy. DNA, RNA,
    and protein are composed of just six elements: hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen,
    oxygen, sulfur, and phosphorus."
    Page 13
    Proteins are biochemical compounds consisting of one or more polypeptides
    typically folded into a globular or fibrous form, facilitating a biological
    function. A polypeptide is a single linear polymer chain of amino acids
    bonded together by peptide bonds between the carboxyl and amino
    groups of adjacent amino acid residues. The sequence of amino acids in a
    protein is defined by the sequence of a gene, which is encoded in the
    genetic code.
    link
    21_17_orig.jpg

Carbon holds the whole thing together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Not mentioned often enough in my book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Not mentioned often enough in my book!

You've got a book too.

All these books. I've got to write me a book .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*looks at location*

*adds to ignore list*

On the contrary, I think it's great that we have someone from lands afar to debate with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    There's a very valid reason why people ask the "Why are there still monkeys" question.

It's because of this very well-known image/idea:
    6a00d8341ca86d53ef0133f1a5f4f5970b-800wi
    +1 I can't abide that image and those like it for all sorts of reasons. One biggie is how inaccurate it is, though it being linear it's very nature is inaccuracy. The confusion is brings people another. The other biggie is how as we evolve we get more upright with an almost moral tone attached to that. See the primitives, see them bent over. Problem is they weren't. The chap immediately after the chimp(and there's a huge gap of stuff missing) was as upright as you or me. It's amazing to me that the image of the short brutish shambling bent over "caveman" is still so current. All based on one skeleton of a very arthritic and worn out old man and Victorian moral prejudice and perception of our ancestors. For all the leap forward away from the Judeochristian mindset of us, Sapiens being the "pinnacle", they hung on to that aspect and still do today, though don't see the link as much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

There's a very valid reason why people ask the "Why are there still monkeys" question.

It's because of this very well-known image/idea:
    6a00d8341ca86d53ef0133f1a5f4f5970b-800wi

This seems more like supposition, than a valid reason to me.

Despite its inaccuracies, I think most people's reasons for refuting/questioning evolution, are not arrived at by what they see in this picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Another nice vid on evolution. Talks about the basics and common misconceptions.

ironically, and ad for jesus popped up with that vid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

ironically, and ad for jesus popped up with that vid

omg n00b http://adblockplus.org/en/ :D

i'm mortified
    I'll wear sackcloth and smear ashes on my forehead as a token of humilation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And self flagellate while you're at it. Don't forget the whips. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Point well taken. But clearly many automatically read into the title what ostensibly Dawkins did not intend.

Hence why he didn't stop at the title .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zico10 wrote: »
    Despite its inaccuracies, I think most people's reasons for refuting/questioning evolution, are not arrived at by what they see in this picture.
    I was referring to the specific question of "Why are there still monkeys", not to other questions/criticisms of evolution.

The question "Why are there still monkeys" comes from a lack of understanding of evolution rather than someone who has considered the concept in its entirety and come up with some criticisms or refutations. Even if you do not agree with evolution, you would not ask the question "Why are there still monkeys", if you understood it.

even the RC church is coming around to evolution, although have had to move their goalposts considerably to accomodate the evidence. But their trailblazer Cardinal Schönborn has missed the whole point of evolution, suggesting we have now arrived at pinnacle of the whole process, us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't see how anyone could see us as a 'pinnacle' of evolution. Plenty of room for improvement.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Gew5ohBN8q-CFz5MTnhziCewye1s2FVLlBl9ypbYeVbXZMbz5w

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

Dawkins title implies for some who read it purpose, motivation, or some sort of conscious or chosen direction in evolutionary development. We all know this is impossible, as does Dawkins.

if you think we're glorified coral reefs than the title makes perfect sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Wicknight wrote: »
    it is always good to seek understanding of such an important scientific theory such as evolution.
    it is always good to seek understanding of such an important scientific theory -- but it is is unscientific to express such an important scientific theory in terms of unscientific beliefs - i hope Wick you will find cure soon

• Advertisement

:confused:

I was referring to the specific question of "Why are there still monkeys", not to other questions/criticisms of evolution.

The question "Why are there still monkeys" comes from a lack of understanding of evolution rather than someone who has considered the concept in its entirety and come up with some criticisms or refutations. Even if you do not agree with evolution, you would not ask the question "Why are there still monkeys", if you understood it.

Fair enough, but I think a lack of understanding of evolution has little to do with a person asking the question, "Why are there still monkeys?". Whether it be for religious reasons or a belief in the notion that humans are 'better' than monkeys, the type of person who would ask this question, more often than not, has no interest in finding out anything about evolution. Tell them to research the topic and the answer is usually along the lines of a blunt "I don't need to, I know what I believe."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There are two types of people who don't accept evolution.

(1) Those who simply don't understand it, and/or
    (2) Those that don't want to.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

To those who ridiculed me; it is that arrogance, snide posturing and ''witty'' supreme stance which lends itself to the stereotypical views that people hold of atheists

You will have to forgive some people, they are so used to hearing the questions you asked coming from creationists on this forum… creationists who think they are not questions but actually „knock down“ arguments against evolution… that many of them tend to jump the gun and become aggressive by knee jerk reaction. If people poke a dog 1000 times out of cruelty, then the vet who has to poke him for pure reasons will still get bitten fairly often.

Although I am not faulting you for this, so do not take it the wrong way… it probably did not help that you chose to ask your questions in the religion section and the atheism forum. Maybe you might consider posting them in the Biology forum for example?

Again do not get me wrong, I am not saying you are not welcome here. I just think you might find asking biology questions in a biology forum more enlightening. The forum as you said SEEMS less active but I have not seen many questions there go unanswered when people do ask them. Theists may have made evolution the battle ground of choice against atheism, but evolution is not an atheist subject per se.

However out of necessity, or just pure interest, many of us here do have a strong knowledge on the subject. Do you feel your questions have been answered or would you like to ask new ones, or go deeper into any of the ones thus far answered? Just say the word and I will try, but I do not want to spend time answering anything you feel has been answered sufficiently already.
    Sarky wrote: »
    The only thing I've read by Dawkins was that quote he said somewhere that went something like "Science is interesting, and if you don't think so you can f*ck off." From what I've gathered here, he's clever and very knowledgeable, but also abrasive and sometimes rude

The thing is, if you are going to form an impression of someone it might be worth getting the facts right first :) Dawkins for example never said the thing you just quoted. Dawkins was actually quoting someone else, in a conversation with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and it was done jokingly.

Strangely most of the things people call Dawkins rude about tend to be things he never actually said. In this case the quote was from an editor from New Scientist.

Link here for evidence. If anything it is a good study of ensuring one has ones facts right before coming to a conclusion, especially when the conclusion is on someones character from second hand reports.
    But clearly many automatically read into the title what ostensibly Dawkins did not intend.

There is good reason why people say "Never judge a book by its cover". Not only can you not read too much into a title... especially given the author had to write an entire book to explain it.... but often the title of a book, and the cover, are not in the control of the author but the publishing company. For example(s) Dawkins TV show "The root of all evil" was not named by him but the production company and the sub title of Christopher Hitchens book "God is not great" which was "How religion poisons everything" was not actually his choice either but the publisher.

A third good reason is that if you read only the title of the book, come on to a forum of knowledgeable people like this one, and start harping on as if you know what you are talking about... you will quickly have your ass placed on a plate and served up to you and have yourself left looking silly.

dead one wrote: »
    it is always good to seek understanding of such an important scientific theory -- but it is is unscientific to express such an important scientific theory in terms of unscientific beliefs - i hope Wick you will find cure soon

Clearly your sin consumes you and blinds you dead one. I can only help you if you are prepared to seek truth and forgiveness.

That is all.

Not understanding something doesn't equate to not accepting it. I don't understood Einstein's theory of relativity, it doesn't mean I don't accept it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Not understanding something doesn't equate to not accepting it. I don't understood Einstein's theory of relativity, it doesn't mean I don't accept it.

that's not what he was saying at all

It doesn't, but not accepting something can be due to not understanding it, which is what Dades actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

That is all.

I believe I understand what you're saying. There is only one possible viewpoint on this matter - yours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I believe I understand what you're saying. There is only one possible viewpoint on this matter - yours.
    There are loads of other viewpoints, but they'd be wrong.

Is this your way of telling us you don't accept evolution?

Advertisement