Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Theoretical Physics Course Thread TR031 TR035

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Fringe wrote: »
    Vlad did give a book to someone in our year because he really liked their proof in the exam. He even latexed it up and sent it to everyone.

Ha fair play. What was it? Any chance you could sent it to me? I'm curious to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

PM'd you the link. :) The guy whose solution it is, is our other resident genius, along with Fringe there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

CJC86 wrote: »
    Just as the Standard Model has been, with reasonable confidence, falsified by the LHC. Nice.
    Now now, it's not a course on SUSY.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Out of extreme curiousity, for question 2, which of your vectors were part of the subspace?

I can't remember...I'm woeful at reducing matrices without making arithmetic errors so I was very surprised when my first one turned out to be part of the subspace. Can't remember the rest though. That said, I'm pretty sure I got the reduction wrong and it shouldn't have been.

Good luck everyone who has Analysis tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

dabh wrote: »
    The point to take on board is that the 'vector space V of 2x2 matrices' is a vector space, so the elements of V are the 'vectors'. Thus a 2x2 matrix X is a vector in this 4-dimensional space.

Aaah! At least I'll know for next time. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

CJC86 wrote: »
    Just as the Standard Model has been, with reasonable confidence, falsified by the LHC. Nice.
    No it hasn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KarlD93

Well, I'm starting maths this year and can't wait! By the sounds of it it should be interesting but hard! Bit confused by the timetable though... (Here: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/timetable/ttjf.html) Some periods have three subjects and also listed at different places like 12:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday! Any insight??? And one more question, when a period is listed as odd weeks only, does that mean there is no period at all on even weeks? Thanks! :D

Not sure what's up with Friday at 12 (I'd guess it might mean the location of the lecture changes, since it's the same lecturer), but the other overlaps are all tutorials which probably means you'll be split up. If MA1261 is the 061 course I took in first year, it's a small computers thing with only 10 or so in the group, so you'd only have to attend one of those (and likely told which one).

MA1261 is C programming with Colm O'Dunlaing.

The thing on Friday at 12 is Pete splitting up his class for a tutoria one week and a lecture the other, presumably in different places.
    Tuesday at 12 is the MA1261 tutorial, also clashing with the maths help room, but thats on at 11 as well.

:)

How's the transition anyway from LC to College? I'm a bit nervous about it all oddly :). Should go smoothly I hope!

• Advertisement

KarlD93 wrote: »
    How's the transition anyway from LC to College? I'm a bit nervous about it all oddly :). Should go smoothly I hope!

In terms of maths? The bring it in gradually like they dont throw you in the deep end straight away. They do however raise the standard a lot after christmas. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

I don't use boards for ages and come back and find we have a whole thread, about time!
    anyone else looking forward to going back? third year should be interesting! :D

Could someone tell me what's the difference between a tutorial and a lecture. I'm going into JF maths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

KarlD93 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what's the difference between a tutorial and a lecture. I'm going into JF maths :D

The difference is pretty much what the individual lecturer thinks it ought to be for a particular module (or course).

The basic idea, though, is that some contact hours may be lectures, where the lecturer will develop theory, providing definitions, proving theorems, explaining and justifying methods to solve problems etc. Other contact hours may be tutorials, which are typically used for going over solutions to problems, which may often have previously been given to students as homework assignments.. If the class size is sufficiently large, the class may be divided up into several smaller groups for tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 funkadelica

Just had a quick skim through this thread. Way to terrify the first years lads.

Dear Junior Freshmen,

As long as you're reasonably good at maths and physics, and happen to have half a brain (enough to realise you can't actually coast through without going to a single lecture, trust me, I tried), then you will quickly discover that first year is NOT HARD! (Take it from someone who has done it twice :P) Have a bit of cop on, do the work, and most of all, don't take it all too seriously, you'll be graaaaand :D

Love Nikki x

P.S I am, of course, only talking about first year, second year looks like a b***h :DD

Oh Nikki, we do love you so. But yea she's right lads. Personally I found 1st and 2nd year both hideously boring, but they are entirely necessary for all the cool stuff that follows. (sorry to be blunt about it)

Also, maths classes can be very reserved sometimes, don't be afraid to shout up or ask questions. Normally you'll just be saying what 90% of the class are thinking. The other 10% are me, Rob and Cathal, who are trying to falsify the concept of backwards time travel using a 4x4 rubik's cube and a magic 8 ball. Ah harmonic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

fh041205 wrote: »
    Oh Nikki, we do love you so. But yea she's right lads. Personally I found 1st and 2nd year both hideously boring

Ugh, well that's depressing (going into 2nd year)

Ugh, well that's depressing (going into 2nd year)

It'll still be more interesting than first year though hopoefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FishyS

First year was boring, second a little better. Hopefully third year will be interesting.

p.s. for first years, if you ask kovacs a question during the lecture he will go over the whole lecture again and you can get a little sleep

Yes it is I suppose. Sorry I didn't mean to be a downer! But look at it his way. If you don't think first and second year were actually that bad, then by my logic sophister years will blow your f*cking mind!!!:D

• Advertisement

FishyS wrote: »
    p.s. for first years, if you ask kovacs a question during the lecture he will go over the whole lecture again and you can get a little sleep

This is true.

Also, you don't really need to go to the first two mechanics lectures, unless you want to listen to Kovacs ramble on about how classical mechanics fails in a variety of circumstances, all of which are completely irrelevant to the course. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FishyS

This is true.

Also, you don't really need to go to the first two mechanics lectures, unless you want to listen to Kovacs ramble on about how classical mechanics fails in a variety of circumstances, all of which are completely irrelevant to the course. :pac:

Also absolutely nothing he did in the second half of the year was on the exam. He finished the course just after christmas.

I liked first and second year well enough (though I found the physics somewhat boring). So many nay-sayers... Third year is better because you start doing things which more closely resemble "real" theoretical physics, and that's always nice.

I missed the bit where people were saying it's really difficult, though. It's not a dos of a course, but you don't have to be a crazy genius to do well or anything... just do the work. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

On the upside, there's a new and exciting TP course on the Standard Model! >.>

Who's teaching that?

The Standard Model is, in many ways, essentially just a course on Group Reps. Which is unfortunate as I hate group reps.

Sint. Then Shatashvili is doing Yang Mills Theory in the second semester. It's gonna be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Hi, just a little 5th year here who's aspiring to do theoretical physics in TCD. :o

I was just wondering: is there anything I can do now to prepare for theoretical physics? Also, is there a way that you could join maybe theoretical physics and maths together or theoretical physics and computer science together?

Also, what job opportunities are there after you finish the course.

I just though I would ask the questions before I venture out into the course and before I put it down as No. 1 on my CAO form next year.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Mulicber :)

mulciber wrote: »
    Hi, just a little 5th year here who's aspiring to do theoretical physics in TCD. :o

I was just wondering: is there anything I can do now to prepare for theoretical physics? Also, is there a way that you could join maybe theoretical physics and maths together or theoretical physics and computer science together?

Also, what job opportunities are there after you finish the course.

I just though I would ask the questions before I venture out into the course and before I put it down as No. 1 on my CAO form next year.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Mulicber :)

Hey! :)

Right, firstly, you need to actually enjoy doing maths. There's a load of people in my class who are like "Yeah I was good at maths for the LC. I'll go off and do a maths degree shur! Be grand like!" The majority of them really regret their decision. A few people in maths have already dropped out. No idea what the story with TP is.

If you can, do Applied Maths for the LC. Some of the questions are at the same standard you'll be doing in Mechanics in TP, especially the ones in the 80s and 90s. Oddly enough the 70's aren't bad at all. Although there is that interesting question with the rod on in inclined plane... So do Applied Maths, and do your best to understand what's going on. Struggle through the problems and you'll get to a stage where you can do them with your eyes closed.

I've just realised you're in 5th year so will have to do Project Maths. This is bad. I've no idea how the maths department will change the introductory syllabii to make up for this, but I'd imagine they will. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Hey! :)

Right, firstly, you need to actually enjoy doing maths. There's a load of people in my class who are like "Yeah I was good at maths for the LC. I'll go off and do a maths degree shur! Be grand like!" The majority of them really regret their decision. A few people in maths have already dropped out. No idea what the story with TP is.

If you can, do Applied Maths for the LC. Some of the questions are at the same standard you'll be doing in Mechanics in TP, especially the ones in the 80s and 90s. Oddly enough the 70's aren't bad at all. Although there is that interesting question with the rod on in inclined plane... So do Applied Maths, and do your best to understand what's going on. Struggle through the problems and you'll get to a stage where you can do them with your eyes closed.

I've just realised you're in 5th year so will have to do Project Maths. This is bad. I've no idea how the maths department will change the introductory syllabii to make up for this, but I'd imagine they will. :pac:

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Yeah, I love maths, always have. It's my favourite subject in school. I'm a really logical person and I see maths as the world just broken down into it's most simplistic form. Everything can be described with maths. :)

I've already chosen to do applied maths as an extra subject. I'm even giving up my Wednesday afternoons to do it. :p

Yeah. I had a look at some of the project maths syllabus and it looks really bad to me. It looks as if they're trying to relate maths more to everyday life while I like the pure maths more. :(

mulciber wrote: »
    Also, is there a way that you could join maybe theoretical physics and maths together or theoretical physics and computer science together?
    In TCD, not officially. I think in NUIM or UCD you can do them together in some kind of Science thing, not entirely sure.

However:
    Re maths and TP: TP is already >50% maths (ie taught in the maths department, courses open for pure maths students). You don't do as much pure maths as the mathematicians (simply because there is only so much time in a day...) but you certainly have a mathematical outlook/approach to physics. Also, it's fairly common/easy for TPs to transfer into maths in 1st/2nd/3rd year. (Not the other way around though, or science into TP.) Also, there is always (timetables permitting) the option of simply attending maths lectures if you want (which is what I do).

Re CS and TP: Not as simple as maths and TP, since TP has no association with the CS department. However, as part of the physics you do in TP you have to do computational stuff, so you do get an introduction to programming and numerical methods. That's about it though, I'm afraid. Though you do have the opportunity to do a computational project in 4th year (as well as computational labs in earlier years).

CS and Maths (I know you didn't ask but this may be useful): Much more possible. Maths students can take some (I've heard people say "any", but only some are advertised, so I'm not sure) courses from the CS department, particularly in 3rd and 4th year. There are also pure mathematics courses in things like algorithms and coding theory. Obviously it has a different emphasis though (more theoretical where CS is more applied, I suppose).

• Advertisement

Also, there is always (timetables permitting) the option of simply attending maths lectures if you want (which is what I do).

This wont count for anything though unless you make arrangements with the head of the school of maths. Either way there's nothing in first year worth doing for TP, unless you really want to do stats and C programming...

In second year it might be a good idea to see if you'd be allowed do the differential equation module in second year, since for some bizarre reason TPs dont do that one.

Advertisement