Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Apparently when you have hypothermia you actually feel like you're really hot so a lot of people start to strip off which obviously makes it even worse. Maybe that explains that part of it?

Wouldn't explain the various injuries sustained by the campers,like the girl who's tongue was missing (ick!!) It sounds like they never found it either, which is odd.

Great thread btw, i've been reading this stuff all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Wouldn't explain the various injuries sustained by the campers,like the girl who's tongue was missing (ick!!) It sounds like they never found it either, which is odd.

Great thread btw, i've been reading this stuff all day!

And the ripped tent... wonder if the whole thing was staged to look as weird as possible because the government was behind their murders as they had seen something they shouldn't have.

maybe make the whole thing so obscure that no-one can ever work it out?

One of my fave threads on here in a long time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Apparently theres a tribal people nearby who dont like people encroaching on their turf and are quite violent when they feel aggrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently theres a tribal people nearby who dont like people encroaching on their turf and are quite violent when they feel aggrieved.

They were ruled out as being involved in the deaths. Only the hikers footprints were visible and they had no external injuries which would suggest they had been fighting or attacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They were ruled out as being involved in the deaths. Only the hikers footprints were visible and they had no external injuries which would suggest they had been fighting or attacked

Aliens then:pac:

• Advertisement

Interesting article here and a possible explanation for what happened to the skiers... maybe not that much of a mystery at all, although I don't believe any of them would have just slept in their underwear, so not sure if this is wrong from the off...

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

Here is my proposed explanation of what happened. It's wrong, of course, because it's done from my armchair 50 years after the fact and with no firsthand knowledge of the region, but it's completely reasonable and does adequately satisfy the facts as we know them. Nine skiers set up camp in an area with potential avalanche danger, but no more or less danger than would have been found if they set up anywhere else they could have reached before nightfall. Sometime during the night, a loud noise, either from a nearby avalanche, a jet aircraft, or military ordnance, convinced at least five members of the group that an avalanche was bearing down on them. They burst out of the tent wearing whatever they happened to be sleeping in and ran. At some point one of them fell and struck his head on a rock. They became lost in the dark and poor visibility, or simply found themselves stranded with their injured friend, and finally built a fire. They quickly got hypothermia and probably shouted themselves hoarse for their friends. Two of them lost consciousness and the others made a desperation decision: To take what little clothes their two unconscious buddies had and risk it all to try and make it back to camp. One made it 300 meters, the second made it 480, and the third a full 630 meters before all five were dead from hypothermia. Back at camp, the four who didn't panic and run away in the night got dressed, collected provisions, and began to search for their friends. They searched for hours, circling high and low, until at some point either through a slip or just bad luck, they were caught in a real avalanche. During the resulting turmoil one received a fatal skull fracture, one received twelve broken ribs, and one bit her tongue off, all perfectly plausible injuries during such a traumatic death. Their bodies remained buried until the spring thaw, as is so common with avalanche victims. At the open-casket funeral for the first five victims, relatives saw the combination of five days of winter sunburn in those days before sunscreen, and the mortician's effort to cover up frostbite and a full month of exposure to the elements, and described it as a strange orange color; though others described it simply as a deep tan, which is consistent with reasonable expectations. And who knows what hair would have looked like after all that exposure and who knows what kind of treatment done by the mortician, so I can't assign too much significance to what amounts to a few anecdotal reports from some funeral attendees, and not even all funeral attendees. Plus I'm quite certain that if UFOs had turned all of their hair really gray, don't you think the cold war Russian authorities would have had it colored back to normal for an open casket funeral? Their bodies had been exposed outdoors for weeks. Of course they looked terrible.

What of the radiation on their clothes? Well, there is at least as much uncertainty about what the Russians were doing with their atomic and thermonuclear weapons in that area in those days, as there is about exactly what type of radiation and how much was found on the Dyatlov pass victims. Since we don't know anything about either, we can't say that any explanation is inconsistent with what was found. And, the thorium lantern mantle question quite probably makes the entire radiation issue a moot point. Assuming they'd changed a lantern mantle sometime during the trip, which nearly always has to be done, there's every reason to expect to find low-level alpha radiation on the clothes of anyone who participated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Was that shown on SciFi channel or is that another one?because that movies was awful, but amusing:p
    Different movie, roughly same idea

Richard Gere movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265349/
    SyFy movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1514425/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

But why were they only wearing their underwear? In those temperatures you would be all rugged up the whole time and especially before leaving your tent.

Odd that so many others hadn't heard of it. I am usually into all this kind of stuff and only read about it on here - boards.ie, the things you learn!! ;)

After reading a bit more about this incident, it may not be as mysterious as it seems at first.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/the-dyatlov-pass-accident-and-the-fatal-unknown-compelling-force/

"
    The Dyatlov Pass Accident is truly a horrible accident, and a fascinating story. But one doesn’t need to look at influence from UFOs, Yeti, or other supernatural explanations, or even an “unknown compelling force”. A bit of critical thinking and skeptical analysis tells the story: A group of very unlucky people stumbled into some weapons testing. The Dyatlov Pass Accident was a terrible event, but hardly a mystery. Those nine people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

After reading a bit more about this incident, it may not be as mysterious as it seems at first.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/the-dyatlov-pass-accident-and-the-fatal-unknown-compelling-force/

"
    The Dyatlov Pass Accident is truly a horrible accident, and a fascinating story. But one doesn’t need to look at influence from UFOs, Yeti, or other supernatural explanations, or even an “unknown compelling force”. A bit of critical thinking and skeptical analysis tells the story: A group of very unlucky people stumbled into some weapons testing. The Dyatlov Pass Accident was a terrible event, but hardly a mystery. Those nine people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

I posted a bit higher up from I think the same source :)

I posted a bit higher up from I think the same source :)

Think they're different but the military weapons test seems the most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

So the ones that survive, presumably badly injured, runs up to jump off again?

Christ, dogs aren't very bright, are they?
    Neither are a lot of people, just look at the amount of students that jump off bridges during rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

Another sad one Genette Tate filling in while the regular newspaper boy was on holiday,the bike and newspapers in the road are so poignant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Genette_Tate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Dyatlov Pass incident amongst other famous mysteries debunked pretty well for me here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Toots* wrote: »
    The Crawford Family Murder. I read a book about it when I lived in Australia, and always wondered what became of the father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_family_murder

I know this guys brother, he is from Co. Derry and the family still reside there. Apparently was a bit of a scandal at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Who stole the washer off the Mooncoin pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Dyatlov Pass incident amongst other famous mysteries debunked pretty well for me here.

The writer of that article has a wonderful turn of phrase! Top marks. I'm glad though that my Babushka Lady from the JFK assassination has emerged unscathed from his critique, which included "put the icing on the creepy-as-fuck cake"! Go Babushka Lady, whoever you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babushka_Lady

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Not a mystery but its also mad what they got up to in Project Mkultra

You're that Meal guy from post of the day!

Solve that mystery for us!

I think he debunked it pretty badly considering there's no evidence of an avalanche.

"The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche."

"Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing"

They also didn't behave like paradoxical undressing victims since their clothes were left at the tent indicating they left in a hurry/panic and they also took clothes off the victims who had already died in an attaempth to stay warm.

Guess he took a quick glance at the story and solved it in his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Sky King wrote: »
    Overtoun bridge in scotland - an apparent dog suicide bridge.

Aaagh! No! Please don't make me even think about it! :(

Actually; I do suspect that, just before I gave up ever again feeding " Dog " into Google News ~ because so many stories concerned people torturing Dogs, just because ~ I'd found there was at least a couple of such places.

Councils refuse to fence them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fascinating thread. Keep them mysteries coming folks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

lazygal wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Hanging Rock. It's total fiction, it's not based on a true story or anything. Amazes me how many people think it's real!

great story though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

great story though

The fillum was a bit arty farty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benzie

classic : Egg & Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think he debunked it pretty badly considering there's no evidence of an avalanche.

"The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche."

"Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing"

They also didn't behave like paradoxical undressing victims since their clothes were left at the tent indicating they left in a hurry/panic and they also took clothes off the victims who had already died in an attaempth to stay warm.

Guess he took a quick glance at the story and solved it in his head.

Well I'm far from an expert on the subject but in my experience, cracked.coms articles are pretty well researched so I'd be inclined to agree with him. Though that may also be because I'm hugely skeptical of all famous mysteries. On your point, doesn't he say the bodies weren't found until weeks later? How much evidence of an avalanche in a remote area could be left after a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Daemos wrote: »
    Different movie, roughly same idea

Richard Gere movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265349/
    SyFy movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1514425/
    That SyFy one was awesomely cheap looking:o loved it though even though the story was unrelated to the events

Well I'm far from an expert on the subject but in my experience, cracked.coms articles are pretty well researched so I'd be inclined to agree with him. Though that may also be because I'm hugely skeptical of all famous mysteries. On your point, doesn't he say the bodies weren't found until weeks later? How much evidence of an avalanche in a remote area could be left after a couple of weeks?

Looked to me he just wrote the first thing that popped into his head that made sense.

I don't think it was a paranormal event either.

Here is a much better researched article on the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Sky King wrote: »
    Overtoun bridge in scotland - an apparent dog suicide bridge.Dozens of dogs have jumped to their deaths from it - some which survived have jumped again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtoun_House#Overtoun_Bridge_dog_deaths

Yeah just was reading about this the other night - so freaking weird.
    I'll never take my dogs there...obviously

Anyway great thread have loads of links bookmarked for further reading....tonight's sorted for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Having joined boards 4 months ago this is by far the best thread yet .I want to thank all the folks who gave links to all sorts of mysteries ,also i love a good mystery so sceptics be damned . Stop trying to rationalise everything and just enjoy.

Advertisement