Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FiresaleBuyer

Tony wrote: »
    Ok but it should still work even with the earlier firmware
    I got the new firmware V2.15B5. And yes it has "Ireland" in the list. Doing the search now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I got the new firmware V2.13B5. And yes it has "Ireland" in the list. Doing the search now.

Any idea how disturbing your user name is ? :)

You say you have TV3 through Saorview earlier. How ? Through the integrated TV tuner ? If so then it will be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

so does anyone have the list of channels for this box b4 i order it.is it just uk and roi channels.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

so does anyone have the list of channels for this box b4 i order it.is it just uk and roi channels.thanks

Read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Lads could somebody kindly give me a link to the new firmware update. Havent checked this thread since the last update! Cheers

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    You say you have TV3 through Saorview earlier. How ? Through the integrated TV tuner ? If so then it will be no problem.
    Yes, the TV is a Saorview ready HD TV. In other words, it has Saorview tuner integrated. Works grand with rabbit ears.

Rabbit ears are not working plugged into the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo receiver. So I cannot use the PVR function to record RTE, which is very disapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Lads could somebody kindly give me a link to the new firmware update. Havent checked this thread since the last update! Cheers
    Post 1271 has a link with firmware without channel list , give me 5 and i'll find the link I had the ch list firmware on

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Plug an ethernet cable into the box, and the address is written into the update menu.

If you know what transmitter you are receing you can do a manual scan which should show the signal level you are receiving
    I just spent a few minutes moving the TV + receiver + rabbit ears over to the window. Still not a sniff of Saorview signal. I cant understand it.

I have a nearly clear line of sight to Mt Leinster. Anyone know the transponder or frequency and polarisation? I will try a manual search.

Ok heres the earlier post with firmware links
    Here is a link to the new firmware with channel list included if anyone would like to test and report back http://www.mediafire.com/?rgfg11876vfc7zl

Edit: heres a How to PDF, just ignore the part about unzipping the file, its already unzipped http://www.mediafire.com/?6r6odsd3oa9dts3

Ignore the last part about "checking antenna setting and searching" too as I've included the channel list database . You wil have to re scan the terrestrial channels though unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Try www.saorview.ie

I just spent a few minutes moving the TV + receiver + rabbit ears over to the window. Still not a sniff of Saorview signal. I cant understand it.

I have a nearly clear line of sight to Mt Leinster. Anyone know the transponder or frequency and polarisation? I will try a manual search.

The Ferguson Ariva 120 box is quite a troublesome piece of kit. After I updated the firmware I had to retune the satellite channels, and some channels that I had before I dont have anymore.

Not to mention the fact that I had mess around with the IP numbers in order to get the thing to connect to the update site.

And finally, the satellite radio stations only started working today, for the first time since I bought the box a week ago.

I cant recommend this receiver, Im afraid.

After I updated the firmware I had to retune the satellite channels, .

Yes of course you did since the firmware you used did not contain a channel list, this is normal. To call it "troublesome" beacuse of this is an overstatement is it not ?

What is troubling is that your retailer did not have the box loaded with the most current firmware.

Yes of course you did since the firmware you used did not contain a channel list, this is normal. To call it "troublesome" beacuse of this is an overstatement is it not ?
    Fair enough.

But the other problems are genuine. I could get Bloomberg business channel before updating the firmware, now I cant.

Fair enough.

But the other problems are genuine. I could get Bloomberg business channel before updating the firmware, now I cant.

Try a transponder scan on Bloombergs freq or you could install the firmware above with the channel list built in using a USB key to upload to the receiver as per the instructions linked a few posts ago.. I think using a USB key for firmware is safer in my opinion that relying on a network connection, just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fair enough.

Did you omit Eurobird from the scan?

Did you omit Eurobird from the scan?
    I scanned Eurobird1. Got no channels at all. I dont think Im correctly aligned for that satellite.

I was receiving Bloomberg on Astra 28.2 previous to the firmware update.

You are aligned as its in the same place as Astra 2

I scanned Eurobird1. Got no channels at all. I dont think Im correctly aligned for that satellite.

I was receiving Bloomberg on Astra 28.2 previous to the firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

Fair enough.

Suggest you check lnb frequency in installation menu - should be set to universal (9750-10600)

hibble wrote: »
    Suggest you check lnb frequency in installation menu - should be set to universal (9750-10600)
    Thanks for that tip.

Its a quad LNB. Does it matter which output port I use?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that tip.

Its a quad LNB. Does it matter which output port I use?

It shouldn't do - but a word of warning! Spent 2 days trying to figure out why I could get 3 different boxes to work on any of the 4 ports on my quad lnb but no joy in the sitting room (even though I had had a working box in there a week before, until I clicked that the brand new coax that had been installed by electrician prior to drylining wasn't up to the job. Moral of the story make sure you have decent cable!

It shouldn't do - but a word of warning! Spent 2 days trying to figure out why I could get 3 different boxes to work on any of the 4 ports on my quad lnb but no joy in the sitting room (even though I had had a working box in there a week before, until I clicked that the brand new coax that had been installed by electrician prior to drylining wasn't up to the job. Moral of the story make sure you have decent cable!
    Replacing the cable is a last resort IMO. Ive already re-made the connectors.

The thing I'd be more worried about, is that the F connector is completely exposed to the elements, where it connects to the LNB. Its not covered with any "heat shrink", as I wasnt going to buy a special tool just for a single install. I read that covering it in duct tape is useless as that can lock moisture into the connection.

Is your connection to the LNB exposed to the elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Self amalgamating tape would do the job there I believe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Here here, I asked about a similar problem in another thread. My house had some old brown 75ohm cable running through the house which caused the Ariva to pixilate on some stations, and which nearly led me to re-align the dish! Good & all as the cable was for the old Analogue signal, it just wasn't up to scratch for the new digital signal.

I put in a new cable & all was well :)

PS: Well all was well until tonight, I got my first pixilation probs with BBC HD this evening, just one programme (julia Bradbury in Cornwall), so I changed to CHN4 HD and it was fine, then BBC1 HD which was fine too . . I guess it was just a one off fluke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

LordSutch wrote: »
    Good & all as the cable was for the old Analogue signal, it just wasn't up to scratch for the new digital signal.

Nothing to do with analogue v digital, the older cable can't handle the higher frequencies of satellite IF (intermediate frequency, downconverted by the lnb from the much higher broadcast frequency which can't be carried on a cable).

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Nothing to do with analogue v digital, the older cable can't handle the higher frequencies of satellite IF (intermediate frequency, downconverted by the lnb from the much higher broadcast frequency which can't be carried on a cable).

Mine wasn't the old brown gear and like I said it had worked the previous week. In fact, it had produced a decent signal with Lidl and then Goodmans hd boxes for nearly 3 years? I took the box out for another room and when I went to return it no signal. I changed F-connectors wall plates and tried running straight into the box without success so ran a new line direct from the LNB to the box and problem solved.I originally thought the cable maybe had got trodden on when I was in the roof void and maybe got damaged.. however,......
    When I got the Ariva box, I plumbed it into the kitchen hooked up the lines to the dish and from the new aerial and there was nothing on DTT -copious amounts of abuse aimed at the telly until I remembered - new line fitted by me on dish perfect DTT but nice shiny black coax fitted by electrician on aerial line hopeless. Again fitted new cable = 95% signal and quality.
    Most annoying thing is even analogue picture used to be crap even though I had replaced the cable from the aeriel to my amplified distribution point in the attic. I used to put that down to living on the side of a mountain nearly 2 counties away from my designated transmitter, but now maybe not?
    Moral 2 for tonight - don't hand over your hard to come by readies to some g!bsh*t@ who wont do the job properly..... If you can - do it yourself!

Apologies for going off post.

Replacing the cable is a last resort IMO. Ive already re-made the connectors.

The thing I'd be more worried about, is that the F connector is completely exposed to the elements, where it connects to the LNB. Its not covered with any "heat shrink", as I wasnt going to buy a special tool just for a single install. I read that covering it in duct tape is useless as that can lock moisture into the connection.

Sorry forgot to answer this during my ramble. There is a "sheath" which you pull down after youv'e fitted the F- connectors on mine which is meant to prevent water ingress I assume. Also, I have formed 2 loops (like an upside down 'U' on all cables which enter the house both at point of entry and in the case of the dish and aeriel at the points where they connect to each item. In theory this should also help to prevent water ingress as the water would have to run uphill before it could run downhill which should be physically impossible:) Have a look at old type ESB or telecom type installations and you'll probably see what I mean. ... Going by my brother in laws SKY installation you wont! Although for some reason he doesn't appear to be too troubled by this.
    Also, you can purcase little rubber sleeves similiar to the insulators on old spark plug leads which will go over each complete connection but they can be a bit fiddly to fit.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In theory this should also help to prevent water ingress as the water would have to run uphill before it could run downhill which should be physically impossible

.... maybe ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2xnl6LwJE&feature=player_embedded

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭podge3

I'm having problems with one of my combo boxes.

Over the past week or so the channel list has disappeared several times. I'm left with some kind of default list of 14 channels.

I can reload the list again but after a few days it changes back to the default.

Anyone else have this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Why the right-angle USB flyleads don't work

171156.jpg
    171157.jpg

Advertisement