Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

OK. Just discovered a new problem. The FTV channels on the white Sky card will not decode from standby, this is only since the new firmware.
    If I flick through the channels from FTA to scrambled they will decode but not from standby. This means I can't record anything on the timer unless I leave the box on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MattOne

Can't seem to record anything with timer & box on standby: the box has to be left on. Anyone got a way around this? (Records fine with timer when box is left on)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

MattOne wrote: »
    Can't seem to record anything with timer & box on standby: the box has to be left on. Anyone got a way around this? (Records fine with timer when box is left on)

I have just recorded a programme in the timer mode on 3e and it saved it with the previous programme name. Are others having this problem or am I doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Did a channel edit in the Ariva editor and transferred to the box. All the changes except the channel favourites names were carried across. I checked the file on the usb stick after doing this and the favourites names were all there. Can anyone tell me why they weren't carried across also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I have just recorded a programme in the timer mode on 3e and it saved it with the previous programme name. Are others having this problem or am I doing something wrong.

It happens sometimes but not all the time. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread was supposed to have been fixed in a firmware update.
    The latest problem I'm having is leading me to fall out of love with the box, I expect firmware updates to solve problems not cause them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Using the media player to play internet radio ..... display a list of available 'stations' under one of the headings .... say Rock ..... an attempt to sort the list results in a crash and reboot.

Will try again later after I have powered off the Ariva and rebooted, to ensure it is not some temporary glitch.

EDIT:
    Yes, same thing happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Question re:card reader function......what can i (legally)do with this?if i borrow a sky card will it work? are there any channels i can subscribe to on 28e?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peadar99

Apogee wrote: »
    Are you 100% certain on this? Because it shouldn't be physically possible - the data simply isn't carried on each TP for all channels.

When you turn on the Lidl box, what channel is the receiver tuned to and for which channels can you see the 'now and next' data if you go directly into the EPG?

Not sure that bmaxi has this right. The Lidl box has a reasonably decent EPG, but it only shows now and next for the current channel. If you go up or down on the EPG list, it actually changes the channel being shown in the background, so it doesn't show any now & next for any channel other than the current one.
    It does do a good job of retrieving the now and next when you change channel [directly or via the EPG] and updating it straight away, though.

I find the Ferguson EPG a bit on the laggy side, but it does do what it's intended to.
    If you move up and down the list, and actually click ok to change the channel, it does update the now and next for channels on that transponder, which is what you'd expect.
    It doesn't blank the now and next immediately for recently-tuned channels on a different transponder, so you'd likely see data for those channels as well for a while at least. This has probably been confusing the issue a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peadar99

I'm generally pretty happy with the Ferguson [thanks, Tony], but I've spotted one issue which has cropped up a few times on me - occasionally the box freezes, and will only continue after a hard restart.

It's happened a few times on Channel 4 HD - I don't know is that significant, but I don't recall it occuring on other channels.

Anyone else seen this happening?

Don't know is it still an issue with the latest firmware, but one other thing it did on the previous version was as follows - if you did a full terrestrial scan, it would nuke whatever order the channel list had been put in, including the satellite channels. I haven't tried it since I got the new firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I've had a few freezes and had to reset. Maybe three times since I updated to the last software Tony released. Always on HD channels too....Channel 4 last evening, previously BBC HD.

I ignored it, assuming a random glitch.

Maybe it is an issue ?

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

peadar99 wrote: »
    I'm generally pretty happy with the Ferguson [thanks, Tony], but I've spotted one issue which has cropped up a few times on me - occasionally the box freezes, and will only continue after a hard restart.

It's happened a few times on Channel 4 HD - I don't know is that significant, but I don't recall it occuring on other channels.

Anyone else seen this happening?

Don't know is it still an issue with the latest firmware, but one other thing it did on the previous version was as follows - if you did a full terrestrial scan, it would nuke whatever order the channel list had been put in, including the satellite channels. I haven't tried it since I got the new firmware.

Yes, its happened to me a number of times in the middle of watching programmes. It's a nuisance having to turn off the box to reset. Can't remember which channels though. Will keep an eye on this in the future.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Moon54 wrote: »
    Lol, I may have a solution, though I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

I am going to get a right angle USB adapter, like this;
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Usb-male-left-angled-right-angle-mini-5-pin-cable-/230650307114?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item35b3d4622a (it's in China but cheapest I could find)

Note: the white segment on the picture is the right way around on the A side. :)
    So angled A side should point up. Btw, that's USB A to MINI B for external 2.5" drive.
    I believe they recommend a powered drive as better, but it's working OK for me.

Ahem, as a final step I was going to take a small notch out of the flap with a junior hacksaw.
    Don't blame me if you void your warranty by doing that though. :p

Not recommended, I have one of those right angle adaptors, and it's still way to big to allow the flap to close - go with STBs one instead (if you don't mind opening the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

peadar99 wrote: »
    Not sure that bmaxi has this right. The Lidl box has a reasonably decent EPG, but it only shows now and next for the current channel. If you go up or down on the EPG list, it actually changes the channel being shown in the background, so it doesn't show any now & next for any channel other than the current one.
    It does do a good job of retrieving the now and next when you change channel [directly or via the EPG] and updating it straight away, though.

I find the Ferguson EPG a bit on the laggy side, but it does do what it's intended to.
    If you move up and down the list, and actually click ok to change the channel, it does update the now and next for channels on that transponder, which is what you'd expect.
    It doesn't blank the now and next immediately for recently-tuned channels on a different transponder, so you'd likely see data for those channels as well for a while at least. This has probably been confusing the issue a bit.
    Thanks peadear99. This behaviour (of the Lidl box) would fit with the facts of EPG now/next data which is carried on the transponder for that transponder's channels only. It's very possible that now/next data is being cached and retained on the display and only updated as you move the focus of the user interface to that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

bmaxi wrote: »
    OK. Just discovered a new problem. The FTV channels on the white Sky card will not decode from standby, this is only since the new firmware.
    If I flick through the channels from FTA to scrambled they will decode but not from standby. This means I can't record anything on the timer unless I leave the box on all the time.

Excuse my ignorance, but what channels does a sky ftv card allow me to access?

There is one 'feature' of this box that I find very very annoying.
    I cannot play internet radio unless there is a USB drive connected.
    I can understand that lists of stations are downloaded and can be edited and saved to the USB drive.

So my USB flash stick is in use on the PC ..... and so I cannot play an internet radio station :(

I wonder if this could be highlighted with Ferguson ... on that topic the manual says (reasonably) that an internet connection is needed and a USB is needed to save the details ...... but no mention of a failure to play a radio station in the absence of a USB drive.

It is a serious drawback for some of us .... who use a removable drive and actually remove it except when required.

I have noticed when my flash stick is plugged in that it appears to be continually accessed by the Ariva, even though nothing on the USB drive is in use .....

Has anyone else noticed this?
    I would be somewhat concerned about the undue wear on any drive plugged in and continually accessed like this.

..... maybe it only happens on my box?

Would be good to know, so thanks for any feedback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Excuse my ignorance, but what channels does a sky ftv card allow me to access?

Ch5 HD,
    PickTV AND +1
    Sony TV AND +1
    Five USA and +1
    Fiver and +1
    Viva
    Motors Tv
    Liverpool FC tv

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Have you timeshift enable (ie you can pause, rewind the program you are currently viewing). If this feature is enabled on your box them the current program data is buffered on the USB device.

I don't know much about how the internet radio works. I only enable that feature myself Monday. There is a possiblity that the software also needs to buffer the radio data to avoid uninterrupted listening. If so this would be done on the USB device as well (this is only speculation by me though)

I use my ferguson box largely a video recorded. I still haven't persauded to wife to give up sky+. For me incorrect naming of the recorded programs is now the most annoying issue. This should be a simple fix. I also have seen recently that if I have set up a timer for a satellite program and I disconnect the satellite link for a period of time then the timer event is removed :( I need to verify this though.

There is one 'feature' of this box that I find very very annoying.
    I cannot play internet radio unless there is a USB drive connected.
    I can understand that lists of stations are downloaded and can be edited and saved to the USB drive.

So my USB flash stick is in use on the PC ..... and so I cannot play an internet radio station :(

I wonder if this could be highlighted with Ferguson ... on that topic the manual says (reasonably) that an internet connection is needed and a USB is needed to save the details ...... but no mention of a failure to play a radio station in the absence of a USB drive.

It is a serious drawback for some of us .... who use a removable drive and actually remove it except when required.

I have noticed when my flash stick is plugged in that it appears to be continually accessed by the Ariva, even though nothing on the USB drive is in use .....

Has anyone else noticed this?
    I would be somewhat concerned about the undue wear on any drive plugged in and continually accessed like this.

..... maybe it only happens on my box?

Would be good to know, so thanks for any feedback ;)

stwome01 wrote: »
    Have you timeshift enable (ie you can pause, rewind the program you are currently viewing). If this feature is enabled on your box them the current program data is buffered on the USB device.

I don't know much about how the internet radio works. I only enable that feature myself Monday. There is a possiblity that the software also needs to buffer the radio data to avoid uninterrupted listening. If so this would be done on the USB device as well (this is only speculation by me though)

I use my ferguson box largely a video recorded. I still haven't persauded to wife to give up sky+. For me incorrect naming of the recorded programs is now the most annoying issue. This should be a simple fix. I also have seen recently that if I have set up a timer for a satellite program and I disconnect the satellite link for a period of time then the timer event is removed :( I need to verify this though.

Thanks for that idea about the timeshift ..... I will check it tomorrow time permitting. I have no idea how it is set.

I suppose the same thing could affect radio stations .... but that would seem very odd to me ... buffering of radio should be done in whatever memory is allocated ..... USB flash sticks could very quickly get worn out if there is that much writing going on ...

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Hi Guys,

I take back what i perviously said about this box. Its great. Took some serious slogging to get it going but all sorted.

If any one is going to use the patched firmware then make sure to use the august no b15 release or you will have NO connection to your router.
    Also be sure to use Mgcamd as CCcam is useless on it as far as i can see.

Just need help with one last thing from you very helpful folks. Can anyone give me a link to the download of the latest channel list for the Uk lineup including premium channels an not just free to air.
    Also which setting in the update by usb menu is it to be loaded with??

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers Guys
    And dont think twice if your going to purchase one of these babies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Hi Guys,

I take back what i perviously said about this box. Its great. Took some serious slogging to get it going but all sorted.

If any one is going to use the patched firmware then make sure to use the august no b15 release or you will have NO connection to your router.
    Also be sure to use Mgcamd as CCcam is useless on it as far as i can see.

Just need help with one last thing from you very helpful folks. Can anyone give me a link to the download of the latest channel list for the Uk lineup including premium channels an not just free to air.
    Also which setting in the update by usb menu is it to be loaded with??

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers Guys
    And dont think twice if your going to purchase one of these babies
    when you say CCcam is useless can you explain what problems you had ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

unable to get it to connect to cccam server after trying serveral servers and network settings etc. Could only connect to a server with the newcamd protocol. Hope this helps.

Any channel lists... anyone... pretty please!!

stwome01 wrote: »
    <snip>

Got to this today.
    Came away confused :confused: ... not an unusual state for me I guess :o

The manual tells me about the first option under DVR Config ... to disable Timeshift altogether .... and says
    "Another option allows you to switch on or off the buffering of data ...."
    Presumably this is the second option in the list, called
    "Timeshift to Record"
    Setting this to OFF does not stop the buffering .... or at least has not so far ...

Maybe I am attempting to edit the wrong setting?

Can someone else check this please?

EDIT:
    I did not make it clear I think ..... turning off the first option stops the buffering completely. Leaving it on, and turning off the second option - supposed to be turning off buffering I think - does not stop the buffering.

Bearing in mind that I am using a flash drive, and that this option apparently creates a file on the drive of a particular size, and continuously writes to this file, it would appear that this would mean a small section of the flash drive is being continuously written to while it is plugged in.
    If that is the case, the drive could be destroyed. Flash drives have a limited number of writes before being damaged ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FiresaleBuyer

Does this Ferguson combo box work with rabbit ears indoors antenna? Im having a lot of trouble with it. I cant get RTE HD Saorview service.

The rabbit ears worked fine without the box. I just plugged straight into Saorview ready TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Can you receive TV3 and did you carry out the terrestrial automatic scan ?

Does this Ferguson combo box work with rabbit ears indoors antenna? Im having a lot of trouble with it. I cant get RTE HD Saorview service.

The rabbit ears worked fine without the box. I just plugged straight into Saorview ready TV.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Can you receive TV3 and did you carry out the terrestrial automatic scan ?
    No I cant receive TV3 or any other terrestrial channels. The Saorview channels are in the channel list, but it says "No Signal" when I try to view.

Yes, I carried out the automatic scan on Swedish, German settings, as there is no irish setting. It says no channels found.

Can I set them up manually, maybe?

Ok what I mean (and should have explained better) is can you receive TV3 in analogue on your tv by plugging the aerial in directly ? There should be an Irish setting , look in information undet the "Tools" menu and perhaps you could us what firmare number is installed .

No I cant receive TV3 or any other terrestrial channels. The Saorview channels are in the channel list, but it says "No Signal" when I try to view.

Yes, I carried out the automatic scan on Swedish, German settings, as there is no irish setting. It says no channels found.

Can I set them up manually, maybe?

Ok what I mean (and should have explained better) is can you receive TV3 in analogue on your tv by plugging the aerial in directly ? There should be an Irish setting , look in information undet the "Tools" menu and perhaps you could us what firmare number is installed .
    I just bought the box, so firmware should be up to date. Under Tools, Information it says "Maincode" is V2.13B5

Plugging rabbit ears into back of TV, I have TV3 on Saorview, but not on analog.

I just bought the box, so firmware should be up to date. Under Tools, Information it says "Maincode" is V2.13B5

Plugging rabbit ears into back of TV, I have TV3 on Saorview, but not on analog.

Yes I agree it should be but its not in your case , its two firmware versions behind which is why Ireland is not showing, this was added in later firmware .

If the aerial is working on Saorview on the tv it should work on the combo. If you know what transmitter you are receing you can do a manual scan which should show the signal level you are receiving

Yes I agree it should be but its not in your case , its two firmware versions behind which is why Ireland is not showing, this was added in later firmware .

If the aerial is working on Saorview on the tv it should work on the combo. If you know what transmitter you are receing you can do a manual scan which should show the signal level you are receiving
    Thanks for that info. Ill try to update the firmware now over the internet.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info. Ill try to update the firmware now over the internet.

Ok but it should still work even with the earlier firmware

Advertisement