Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cin0

Is there any way to unlock AT&T iPhone 4? Does Apple have that kind of service? I'm not talking about Gevey, etc. I want it to be simfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

cin0 wrote: »
    Is there any way to unlock AT&T iPhone 4? Does Apple have that kind of service? I'm not talking about Gevey, etc. I want it to be simfree.
    depends on the baseband, apple wont unlock it unless AT&T request it

guil wrote: »
    depends on the baseband, apple wont unlock it unless AT&T request it

And anyway I can make AT&T to request unlock from Apple? Pay for it somehow?

Dunno try email them and ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It looks like the ipad 2 jailbreak isn't to far away acording to iclarified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

can someone help me out? i bought a 3gs recently 2nd hand, dont really know much about them and so it proved when you read what ive done so far.

-I tried to update my 3gs on itunes(foolish i now know), the phone had 4.2.1 with cydia before(didnt really know what that was before, i thought the iphone was merely unlocked)

-it had the erro 1015, tried the tinyumbrella thing to exit recovery but no go.

-then i thought maybe jailbreaking the phone with greenpoison.com using the 4.2.1 file, i can get it into DFU mode on greenpoison but then a load of info comes up when the process is finished and the program says to power off and continue. the phone stays stuck on the info/gibberish page.

-i went back to the timy umbrella program but now, it doesnt recognise the iphone at all.

-also on the screen on the iphone now, its saying "Failed to get Apple S5L8920XARM7M after 490 sec." what the hell does that mean? *updates itself every 120 seconds. cant turn the phone off.

-i have the phone in DFU mode now

if i could restore it to the state it was in before i connected it to itunes, id be a happy chappy. thanks for any help anyone and everyone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's the difference between Jailbreaking and Unlocking?

kraggy wrote: »
    What's the difference between Jailbreaking and Unlocking?

Jailbreaking allows you to install themes, apps that are not available from apple's app store and get more use out of your ios device.

Unlocking let's you use your phone with a sim card from any mobile phone company instead of the one you got the phone from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 dean777

Whats the best way to JB iPad 4.3.3 ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mgabor

Sincerest apologies if this has already been posted (I'm sure it has, but I've been unable to track down a thread, sooo...) but I'm in need of a bit of help.

I just moved to Dublin from New York, and I have an iPhone4 that is locked (on AT&T, a US service provider). I have cancelled my US service, but I went to the Vodaphone store on Grafton Street last night and when they put in a new SIM card, it said that my phone was locked, so I need to have it unlocked. The problem with that is that every place I've gone to so far has told me that they are not able to unlock the iPhone4. I bought the Vodafone Smart phone, and to put it kindly...I HATE IT. It's terrible. I'm a total iPhone snob, and not afraid to admit to that.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that I could go to get my iPhone4 unlocked? I don't care if I have to pay a bit more, as it will prevent me from having to spend EUR600 on a new iPhone. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, I've already Googled it extensively and nothing seems to work, so I would REALLY like to be able to go somewhere and have it done by people who know what they're doing, rather than giving it a go on my own.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

it all depend on what baseband its on, to check go to settings>general>about and scroll down to modem firmware, if its anything other than 01.59.00 ya cant unlock it

you could get a gevey sim and unlock it that way but if you update to IOS 5 when it's released it will lock it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

dean777 wrote: »
    Whats the best way to JB iPad 4.3.3 ?

thanks

Not available yet...for ipad 2 there was only a leak yesterday of a JB for wifi devices on 4.3 but I do not know if it is still available.

Luckily, I managed to jb mine in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 dean777

gzoladz wrote: »
    Not available yet...for ipad 2 there was only a leak yesterday of a JB for wifi devices on 4.3 but I do not know if it is still available.

I actually got it done with Redsn0w :) Was easy enough.

mgabor wrote: »
    I just moved to Dublin from New York, and I have an iPhone4 that is locked (on AT&T, a US service provider).

Is't there a chance to contact to AT&T and ask for unlock code? Maybe for some price?
    BTW I use my iPhone 4 with Gevey no prob, everything works fine, 3G/EDGE/GPRS/MMS/calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

guil, I have that modem firmware version, do you know if I unlock it will it remain unlocked if I update using iTunes ?

tw0nk wrote: »
    guil, I have that modem firmware version, do you know if I unlock it will it remain unlocked if I update using iTunes ?
    if you unlock it with ultrsn0w and then update in itunes then yes it will lock it again

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

gzoladz wrote: »

Luckily?

The leaked jailbreak is a broken, buggy and early alpha version of the jailbreak. It was never meant to be public so is considered to be very unstable and unsafe.

I suggest you restore your iPad to stock and wait for the real jailbreak from comex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

that is not to say it can't be unlocked, you just need to create a custom firmware with snowbreeze or pawnage tool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

that is not to say it can't be updated and unlocked again, you just need to create a custom firmware with snowbreeze or pawnage tool

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Just bought an iphone 4 second hand. It's version 4.2.1, baseband 03.10.01. Will I be able to unlock this?

• Advertisement

Just bought an iphone 4 second hand. It's version 4.2.1, baseband 03.10.01. Will I be able to unlock this?

I pretty sure you can't but give iclarified a go.
    http://www.iclarified.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hello guys what iphone 3gs baseband can't be unlocked ?

anything over 05.13.04 can't be unlocked without installing the ipad baseband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

anything over 05.13.04 can't be unlocked without installing the ipad baseband

can any baseband over 05.13.04 be upgraded to the ipad baseband ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Help!

I'm fairly experienced at both jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones and have, over the last year and a half or so, both unlocked and jailbroken several models including iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 2G. (I guess the point I'm making here is that I'm not a newbie to this.

Anyway, I jailbroke and unlocked two 3G for my brother when he moved back from the States recently. Now he and his wife have new 4s and he asked me to wipe his old phones and flog them.

So, I decided that the best way to wipe them would be to just restore them in iTunes. Here's where the problem starts. The fecking things won't restore no matter what I do.

I've tried straight restores and restoring to custom firmwares. I've tried both of those methods in both recovery and DFU mode. I've tried all of that and then tried exiting recovery mode using Tiny Umbrella and RecBoot.

NOTHING's working! My head's wrecked.

As far as I know the phones were on Firmware 4.2.1 prior to all this but I've no idea of what basband they were on.

Any help?!?!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

fattestman - i had a similar problem with my bros 3gs... are you getting error 1015? I got this as i had ipad baseband and itunes wont restore. If so you will need to download custom firmware and install from there..(shift restore) i had to use tinyumbrella and ensure your in dfu mode.. the connect to itunes is not DFU mode (you probably know this)

if ur on proper baseband ive no idea why itunes wont restore... have you tried iclarified tutirials? their pretty good

can any baseband over 05.13.04 be upgraded to the ipad baseband ?
    afaik yes but i havent tried it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

fattestman wrote: »
    Help!

I'm fairly experienced at both jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones and have, over the last year and a half or so, both unlocked and jailbroken several models including iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 2G. (I guess the point I'm making here is that I'm not a newbie to this.

Anyway, I jailbroke and unlocked two 3G for my brother when he moved back from the States recently. Now he and his wife have new 4s and he asked me to wipe his old phones and flog them.

So, I decided that the best way to wipe them would be to just restore them in iTunes. Here's where the problem starts. The fecking things won't restore no matter what I do.

I've tried straight restores and restoring to custom firmwares. I've tried both of those methods in both recovery and DFU mode. I've tried all of that and then tried exiting recovery mode using Tiny Umbrella and RecBoot.

NOTHING's working! My head's wrecked.

As far as I know the phones were on Firmware 4.2.1 prior to all this but I've no idea of what basband they were on.

Any help?!?!?:confused:
    Same problem but solved doing this :

On Mac:
    * Open Finder
    * Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
    * Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
    * Find "hosts" file in the directory
    * Drag the file to your desktop
    * Open it in text editor
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
    * Save the file
    * Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
    * You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    * Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

This should work fine but you will lose all music, photos, videos and books :S

Thanks to user KianABC

editing the hosts file has nothing to do with any media on a pc and wont remove it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

editing the hosts file has nothing to do with any media on a pc and wont remove it
    It will let him restore the phones.
    I had the same problem phone wouldn't restore and was stuck in restore mode so I deleted the host file completely from
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    and then it restored fine.

The
    (This should work fine but you will lose all music, photos, videos and books :S)
    in my above post was taken from another forum where the poster was explaining that he would lose his media by the procedure.

Advertisement