Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of bike advice please

Options
  • 18-12-2010 9:17pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm going to be looking for a new bike in the new year. I'm leaning towards getting a basic road bike, and I'll be using the Bike to Work scheme. I'll be using the bike for commuting to work and some recreational cycling, but I'm also possibly considering doing a triathlon or two at some point. My budget would be €700ish, but willing to be a little flexible on that front. I'm 5'6" with relatively short legs, so any bike is going to need to be quite small.

Any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Schwinn is a good brand, I have one for 3 years now.

You can check with a shop on Wexford Street in Dublin. McDonald's they are called and they always have a good deal and excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Whatever bike you buy make sure it's the right size and fits properly, do your research on that before you make any decision on which bike to buy as you can get the nicest bike in the world but it's no good if it doesn't fit you.
    Is 780 for the bike or for the bike plus accessories (lock, light, helmet etc)?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be looking at about €700 for the bike, probably accessories to bring it up to a grand. I don't have any bike stuff at the moment because I haven't cycled since school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hi Rainbow, welcome...

The Giant Avail 3 is a petty nice bike coming in at about €775 from Duff cycles. Chances are you would talk the price down a bit. I've been riding the men's equivalent for the last two years and am well happy with it. Size wise, the XS looks to me like it would require an inside leg of about 80-90cm. Smaller than that and you have to consider girl's sizes rather than women's.

Regarding the bike to work scheme, if at all possible, avoid going through a Bike To Work broker. These brokers take up to 10% 'commission' for a really simple to administer scheme and you lose bargaining power with the bike shop. If your work will do it (or can be persuaded to) have the bike shop invoice your work directly, your work pay the bike shop directly and you have the full amount to spend. Otherwise your €1000 is worth only €900 to the shop. From your work's point of view, the scheme is so easy to administer. They pay an invoice, don't reclaim VAT on it, keep it for 5 years and deduct the amount from your salary before any taxes and levies. They save employer's PRSI on the deal. The Bike To Work brokers save them none of that apart from setting up a new supplier on the accounting system...

Anyway, when shopping, don't mention Bike To Work to the shop until you've agreed the price. Then, just ask for an invoice and, if thay balk, tell them they get direct payment so no commission charges. They should be happy with that...

Good luck with the purchase and happy cycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Forgot to mention, get a serious U-lock and use it. Something like the /Kryptonite York Fahgettaboudit Mini is a good strong lock for a reasonable price. For some reason Dublin bike shops are happily selling inadequate locks.

Also use a decent cable lock to lock wheels to frame (the U-lock locks the frame to a suitable strong point).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna bump this, because I'm moving soon and plan to *finally* get a bike in the next few weeks. Currently looking at:

Giant Avail
    Felt ZW95
    Trek Lexa
    Specialized Dolce (slightly more expensive, but pretty :D )

Anything that stands out there? Also, most of my commuting is going to be city centre-based, and leisure cycling in the Phoenix Park. Apart from a really, really good lock, what will I need gear-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I heard a rumour that the Cycle to Work scheme was ending next year? Can anyone tell me if this is true/bull?
    Just thought I'd ask the question, as if it's true, then OP had best get the bike this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I'd suggest a decent pair of gloves; fingerless for summer & a good winter pair, a good set of lights, a pump, some spare tubes & a puncture repair kit.
    Mudguards are a bit ugly, but if you'll be using it in the Winter they are useful (in preventing a wet arse:p).
    If you want a helmet you should get it with the bike because the lightweight comfy ones can sometimes be a bit pricey and you should take advantage of the bike to work scheme as much as you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Also, most of my commuting is going to be city centre-based, and leisure cycling in the Phoenix Park. Apart from a really, really good lock, what will I need gear-wise?

Lock, lights and mudguards are the three essentials as far as I'm concerned.

You can get mudguards that clip on and off easily, and for the style of bike you are looking at that might be the only type that's available. This means you can take them off for leisure cycles during the Summer (on the odd day it's dry) and for triathalons and put them on for commuting on days when it might rain (every day).

A small pump that you can clip onto the frame and carry with your for emergencies and a larger track pump for pumping up to the correct pressure at home (roughly 100psi and you'll need to top up the air pressure fairly regularly to avoid punctures).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Gonna bump this, because I'm moving soon and plan to *finally* get a bike in the next few weeks. Currently looking at:

Giant Avail
    Felt ZW95
    Trek Lexa
    The Felt and the Specialized are specced better than the Giant and the Trek. I'd go with the Felt as it's a double and it's cheaper.

Giant Avail
    Felt ZW95
    Trek Lexa

Anything that stands out there?

I think the Avail is expensive at 699e, a friend of mine got the men's version (the defy 4) for almost 100e less recently and it's the same spec. The spec on the trek seems pretty much identical to the avail yet it's more expensive still and i don't think it warrants it unless it's very pretty or a very nice ride in the flesh. Out of these 4 I think I'd be most tempted by either the felt of the spesh.

Advertisement