Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

satwyn wrote: »
    i've just bought a hughes ka band from america and hopefully be able to test on a 1.2m and 1.8m precison dish here in north wales no idea as yet if the signal will be receivable or not i have various sat receivers i can use vu az ect

Very interesting to see how you get on. Check the Hughes gear that the depolariser is set to 'left' first - you can see the notch which corresponds to both polarisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

i've just bought a hughes ka band from america and hopefully be able to test on a 1.2m and 1.8m precison dish here in north wales no idea as yet if the signal will be receivable or not i have various sat receivers i can use vu az ect
    Thanks for that info, do let us know if you succeed in receiving the test Saorsat broadcasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

i will be using the lnb without feedhorn as others have done with good results but not in north wales afaik if i an correct the lnb can be mounted horizontal or vertical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Welcome to boards.ie, Satwyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

excollier wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie, Satwyn!
    Excollier i managed to get the hughes lnb for $25+ $19 for postage a lot cheaper than the £900 norsat wanted i will post the results here when the lnb arrives will try on an andrews 1.2m first as it will be easier to setup than the precision 1.8m prime focus i don't have a feedhorn but hopefully will work without

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Excollier i managed to get the hughes lnb for $25+ $19 for postage a lot cheaper than the £900 norsat wanted i will post the results here when the lnb arrives will try on an andrews 1.2m first as it will be easier to setup than the precision 1.8m prime focus i don't have a feedhorn but hopefully will work without

Good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sourpuss

Very interesting to see how you get on in Wales,will be watching progress,hope you have good news,best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Folks,

I've been approached with an offer of a 98cm Tooway Satellite dish, fixings, mount and Tria unit. (Example of offer below):

http://www.bentley-walker.com/objs/articleimages/84_Eutelsat%5C%27s-Tooway.jpg

Combining this with a
    2-Way Satellite Splitter, and 24-30 volt DC power supply (as discussed previously); would I have enough to possibly get a Saorsat connection up and running in Belfast?

Also,
    Could I use a 'standard' (i.e. Ku Band) Multi-Feed LNB bar/holder on a Tooway Dish, to mount LNBs for:
    • Astra 28.2°E
    • Hotbird 13.0°E
    In regards to a Multi-Feed set-up query I had yesterday, Apogee advised (in a response post), that any STB would need to have a D1.0 or D1.1 DiSEqC switch. Could someone confirm if this is present on the VU+ 'Duo' and 'Solo' models?

dmcdream wrote: »

Combining this with a 2-Way Satellite Splitter, and 24-30 volt DC power supply (as discussed previously); would I have enough to possibly get a Saorsat connection up and running in Belfast?

Probably OK.
    Could I use a 'standard' (i.e. Ku Band) Multi-Feed LNB bar/holder on a Tooway Dish, to mount LNBs for:

Astra 28.2°E
    Hotbird 13.0°E

The one in the installer manual looks like an adjustable multi feed bracket and should be possible to source with a bit of googling. You'll notice that the LNB for 13E is a slimline Alps model because it's so close to the Ka-sat TRIA. A standard LNB is too fat.
    In regards to a Multi-Feed set-up query I had yesterday, Apogee advised (in a response post), that any STB would need [/COLOR]to have a D1.0 or D1.1 DiSEqC switch. Could someone confirm if this is present on the VU+ 'Duo' and 'Solo' models?

Yes on both.

Folks you’ve very kindly offered me advice and guidance (especially users Apogee and zg3409) over the past few days, regarding a Tooway Dish Multifeed set-up.

I just wanted to clarify at this point, the specific details of that Multifeed set-up I’ve/we’ve been looking at on page 21 of the Tooway Installation Manual, as I intend to replicate it on a 98cm Tooway Dish.

LNB Alignments

Right LNB 1 = Fransat @ 5.0°W (via 2-Way Satellite Twin LNB)
    Centre = Tria Unit @ 9.0°E
    Left LNB 1 = Hotbird @ 13.0°E (via 2-Way Satellite Twin LNB)
    Left LNB 2 = Astra @ 28.2°E (via 4-Way Satellite Quad LNB)

In terms of the streamlined LNB required for Hotbird 13.0°E, I've seen the brand name Inverto mentioned by several satellite retailers. It not only has a tailored bracket, but also a patented range of narrow feedhorn LNBs (even narrower than the ‘Alps’ brand). It does however only seem to operate with a maximum dish size of 80cm. Do you think I might just be able to get away with an Inverto ‘Multiconnect’ setup on a 98cm Tooway Dish? If not, could someone recommend a Multi-Feed LNB bar; which would be compatible with 'Alps' brand LNBs?

As you can also see beside the LNB alignments above; I intend to be able to watch all satellite feeds on 2 set-top boxes; with the capacity to also record from Astra @ 28.2°. Could someone therefore recommend the most suitable type of DiSEqC switch please.

Many thanks everyone!
    dmcdream

• Advertisement

Before you go to all the effort of getting LNBs, aligning etc what's on 13E or 5W that you want to watch? You realise there is little/no English language content FTA on them?

I thought, seeing as I'll have the space on the Multi-Feed LNB bar, I may as well use it! If of course I'm wrong and that it'll cause more headaches than enough, then I'll just stick with Astra @ 28.2°E, and Ka-Sat @ 9.0° East via the Tooway Tria. What do you think?

I used to like the variety of foreign stations you could get back in the old days of Sky analogue. We had an 'Amstrad Fidelity SRX200' receive in our house. I used to think "what will I pick up now?" every time I did a system scan. LoL

Apogee wrote: »
    Before you go to all the effort of getting LNBs, aligning etc what's on 13E or 5W that you want to watch? You realise there is little/no English language content FTA on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

> as I intend to replicate it on a 98cm Tooway Dish.

As I said in a PM I would get RTE working first and the dish installed before trying to add further LNB's especially if you have never done this before.

>In terms of the streamlined LNB required for Hotbird 13.0°E, I've seen the brand name >Inverto mentioned by several satellite retailers.

The unit you link to does not seem to fit on to the make of dish you linked to previously. You need a make of bracket that suits your dish type.

> only seem to operate with a maximum dish size of 80cm. Do you think I might just be >able to get away with an Inverto ‘Multiconnect’ setup on a 98cm Tooway Dish?

Yes it may work. Dishes not in the centre do not "see" the full dish size anyway as they are not in the centre of the focus of the dish.

>If not, could someone recommend a Multi-Feed LNB bar; which would be compatible >with 'Alps' brand LNBs?

You need a bar to suit your dish rather than LNB. It also needs to have the range to cover all the angles of LNB's you see. As you may not be using the dish in the installer manual you need a bracket that works with your dish. Then you need LNB's that fit your bracket.

>As you can also see beside the LNB alignments above; I intend to be able to watch all >satellite feeds on 2 set-top boxes; with the capacity to also record from Astra @ 28.2°. >Could someone therefore recommend the most suitable type of DiSEqC switch please.

The inverto basic kit you link to is for a single receiver only. It is for 3 LNB's max also. If you intend using 4 LNB's (including the RTE unit) then the switcher is not suitable.

If you want all LNBs on both receivers each LNB (except the RTE one) will need two ports (connectors) and then a switcher capable of two receivers and 8 LNB cables or else two different switchers each capable of 4 LNB's. It's a big ask for a starter.

The RTE signal would need to be split, power blocked and fed into the switcher.

So the inverto basic kit is not suitable and you need to find a bracket that matches your dish. The bracket needs to cover the arc of LNB's you intend installing.

@dmcdream - get 28E and 9E up and running first and leave the others until later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hi folks,

Great thread, but 96 pages! I read the first half dozen and the last half dozen, but I really need someone to explain something to this satellite peasant.

I have a Sky dish with subscription, and have just also got a Tooway dish from Digiweb for internet, pointing at Ka-Sat 9E. The Digiweb installer mentioned that Saorsat was coming sometime, and that there was an extra RX port on the Tooway which could be wired up to receive it when the time comes.

So, in layman's language. Is this possible? I'd like to ditch my Sky subscription, and combine feeds from the Sky and Tooway dishes, on a single receiver box, with combined EPG, and USB output for recording to external hard disk. Am I completely dreaming? Will this ever be possible?

Or, regardless of the Tooway, should I just get an aerial for Saorview, and go for that Ferguson box I saw on another thread, which seems to do everything I want except it's for one sat feed plus one UHF aerial feed, instead of two sats.

Thanks a mil'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

The best bet would be to feed the 9e and 28e feeds into satellite tuner cards on a PC and use either DVBViewer for Windows or mythbuntu for Linux. Not recommended though if you aren't up for a little bit of fiddling to get it to work. Others here recommend using a standard Freesat PVR but this would have to be running in non Freesat mode to work so no EPG on the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Sounds like the simplest would be the Sky dish + a new aerial + this box ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

rlogue wrote: »
    The best bet would be to feed the 9e and 28e feeds into satellite tuner cards on a PC and use either DVBViewer for Windows or mythbuntu for Linux. Not recommended though if you aren't up for a little bit of fiddling to get it to work. Others here recommend using a standard Freesat PVR but this would have to be running in non Freesat mode to work so no EPG on the UK channels.

If you are not in an area that receive saorview>

The new G2 Freesat Boxes have diseq for switching (but not 1.2 for motors)

The new Samsung Freesat+ box for example.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/digital-boxes/samsung-smt-s7800

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rlogue wrote: »

A few presses switches it BACK to Freesat. :confused:

Some boxes seem to handle the "non-freesat mode" in different ways. The Sagem DSI86 used by family allows non-freesat channels to be added to the overall channel list without having to activate modes. The other channels are added from 3000 onwards. ITV HD for example is at 3003.

A more nifty solution than boxes having to resort to the sky box "other channels" way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some boxes seem to handle the "non-freesat mode" in different ways. The Sagem DSI86 used by family allows non-freesat channels to be added to the overall channel list without having to activate modes. The other channels are added from 3000 onwards. ITV HD for example is at 3003.

A more nifty solution than boxes having to resort to the sky box "other channels" way of doing things.
    That's interesting. I don't think the Humax does this.

On the flipside, does the Sagem allow for simple DiSEqC switching?

Hi everyone,

Just to keep you in the ‘What’s happening in Belfast?’ loop (if you’re still interested! that is LoL)…

On Friday I posted about contacting RoI Tooway service provider ‘Digiweb’ (Dundalk office), regarding the purchase of a Tooway satellite dish LNB bracket (for additional reception of Astra 28.2°E, Hotbird 13.0°E and Fransat 5°W), and of course our friend at 9.0°E!

I received an e-mail on Tuesday from the Sales Executive handling my enquiry advising …“I asked the Sat department and unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible to get free to air sat TV called Saorsat.”… This was quite disappointing, as it seemed that the staff were fairly au fait with Saorsat enquiries when I spoke with them - and willing to help!

I pressed on unabated - remembering what user The Cush said on Friday also, about contacting Tooway service provider ‘Onwave’; who are not only based in Mullingar, but also Westerham in Kent.

Conveniently for me, as an Irish registered company, their customer service operation appears to be based in Mullingar. When I therefore spoke with their sales staff about Saorsat, I was promptly put through to their Technical Support department. The gentleman I spoke with there was very helpful and knowledgeable; and didn’t foresee any problem with purchasing Tooway kit (even thought I’m not an ‘Onwave’ subscriber.) He advised that their Sales Manager would contact me to confirm this. I received a call from the same helpful gentleman this morning, advising that there isn’t an LNB bracket for the traditional charcoal Gregorian-style Tooway dish we’ve seen so much of.

He then went on to discuss what I believe is a newer model (the one I’ve/we’ve been looking at on page 21 of the Tooway Installation Manual I think.) He advised it is approximately 73cm in diameter – and should be capable of catching the Ka-Sat spot beam over Ireland this far north! I’m awaiting another phone call to confirm 100% if the necessary kit can be purchased by a non-subscriber. Fingers crossed it’s a 'yes', and that the price is right!

For all Ka-Sat hobbyists out there like myself (although you’re all probably a lot more technically-aware than me I must admit), here’s a web link which you may find useful in setting up a Saorsat installation:

Ka-Sat Finder*

This is a tool used by Tooway,and those brave enough to attempt a self-instal, to accurately determine both ‘line of sight’ angle and modem configuration.

* The link appears to be in 'offline' mode at the moment :confused: Where you see the button 'Coordinates', there was another button beside it called 'Map'. It allowed the user to find their long/lat via Google Maps. Hopefully that function will be available again later!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

My half informed reckon on this is it'll be fine in Belfast.

According to that website, Irish spot 3 comes as far North as Craigavon. That's 33 km from Belfast.

The Scottish spot 3 starts at Dundee. That's 280 km from Belfast.

I've given this a good throught reckon, and that's what I've come up with. :D

byte wrote: »
    That's interesting. I don't think the Humax does this.

On the flipside, does the Sagem allow for simple DiSEqC switching?
    Indeed not, I would have hailed the box if it had diseqc switching. As it stands, that feature is one of the few good points about the EPG. It's terribly awkward to use in comparison to something like a sky box. Particularly the navigation of the EPG. At least I haven't found any bugs in using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sourpuss

Hi everyone,I have a comag SL40HD sat receiver getting the channels from 19 degrees.I have a detailed 7 day epg on nearly all the main german channels.Does anybody know if connected to 9 degrees to receive Saorsat in the future will it get the 7 day epg for the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Glenelly My Home

I currently get my internet through Avanti. Is there any way their dish could be used to get Saorsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

watty wrote: »
    OT
    During 1970s I listened to Manx radio regularly on an attic aerial made of cut up TV coax and a German VHF/SW/MW/LW valve radio. Near mouth of Belfast Lough in Co. Antrim.

Years later I've chatted to Manx Amateurs via their Repeater in 145MHz band from near the Beach in Millisle, Co. Down with a 10W mobile radio and 1/4 wave whip. Must have been 2005 +/-

Ditto Watty, have done pretty much the same thing myself !

Now involved as a presenter in community radio and getting back into ham radio !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I currently get my internet through Avanti. Is there any way their dish could be used to get Saorsat?

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Astro7

Anyone know which beam is being used at the moment for the Ka Sat tests….
    http://www.satbeams.com/footprints this site has a footprint over Ireland on beam 17 and 24 ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement