Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Service from FastFit??

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in the Motoring threads so apologies if this is in the wrong area...

I just received a text from FastFit offering a service for €50.

Before I book it, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of their servicing service. I have gotten tyres there before but didn't know they had the facilities to offer full services.

The only concern I have (except for servicing not having been a part of their business until now, as far as I'm aware) is that it has been entirely too long since the car has had a full service - my own fault, but anything I can check myself I have and do.

What do people think? Worth a go? Or is €50 just too cheap to be worthwhile?

BTW, the car is a late 2005 Citroen C4 HDi.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What items are covered in the service? This ain't DIY'ing ladd :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would hardly be possible to buy oil, oil filter and air filter for €50, are they a registered charity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Got a similar text - said it was an "Oil Service"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread moved DIY > Main Forum

They're advertising a Car Service from €79 on their website.

Odds are it's just an oil & filter service with a check over everything else and an opportunity to upsell additional work.

I'd have no issue taking them up on it, I got a car serviced in Atlas Tyres recently by an excellent mechanic - great service level, nice attention to detail, bargain price.

Just because they're originally a tyre fitter doesn't mean your car won't be serviced correctly.

€50 sounds like a great price, you'd barely buy the oil and filter for that. Ask them how much it would cost to bump it up to a full service, or ask them to do the oil & filter service and give you a list of what else needs doing - no point to change things until they're needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

We got an oil and brake service on an A4 Cabriolet (1.8 Turbo) with them for around 150 quid. Couldn't really fault them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dreddie

Just a quick question, Did you register for NCT shortly before getting the text from Fastfit?
    I registered for NCT yesterday, to be notified of appointment by text message as they were unable to give me an appointment by phone. A few hours later I received a text from Fastfit offering a €50 service. Suspicious?
    Sorry if this is considered off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

for air/fuel/oil, sounds like a good deal, normally I would DIY my own car, but I couldn't do for much cheaper than that and getting rid of the used oil is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

dreddie wrote: »
    Suspicious?

Coincidence I'd say. I got one too yesterday @15.20 but am not registered with NCT.

P

Poly wrote: »
    for air/fuel/oil, sounds like a good deal, normally I would DIY my own car, but I couldn't do for much cheaper than that and getting rid of the used oil is a pain.

You don't think they'll be changing your air and fuel filter for the €50 offer do you? I would think that it's an oil and oil filter change and a looksee around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ford Doctor

If its to good to be true you have to ask why.You can get cheap oil and filter but is it the correct grade of oil,what make is it,is it a brand name.With most cars you would service them once a year and oil is the life blood of your engine.Would you want to put cheap oil and filter into it ?

If its to good to be true you have to ask why.You can get cheap oil and filter but is it the correct grade of oil,what make is it,is it a brand name.With most cars you would service them once a year and oil is the life blood of your engine.Would you want to put cheap oil and filter into it ?

I guess that's a question the OP needs to ask Fast Fit. I know Atlas were at pains to tell me that the oil & filter they used was the correct quality/spec

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just got this text myself. My first reaction is to wonder where they get off text spamming people. The only reason i've ever given Fast Fit my number is so they could let me know when my tyres have arrived - if i'd known they'd misuse it then I wouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dreddie wrote: »
    Just a quick question, Did you register for NCT shortly before getting the text from Fastfit?
    I registered for NCT yesterday, to be notified of appointment by text message as they were unable to give me an appointment by phone. A few hours later I received a text from Fastfit offering a €50 service. Suspicious?
    Sorry if this is considered off-topic.

The NCT are not allowed to be assosiated with any garage so I'd say it was just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭muinteoir09

Spoke to Fastfit. The €50 covers a filter change and a 9-point check. The person I spoke with couldn't/wouldn't elaborate.

What did you ask them that they couldn't/wouldn't answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Spoke to Fastfit. The €50 covers a filter change and a 9-point check. The person I spoke with couldn't/wouldn't elaborate.

And oil?

jimogr wrote: »
    And oil?

No doubt oil is changed too, no offence to Muinteor but I reckon some of the conversation may have been lost in translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

So did anyone manage to get the facts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads, it's an oil change with a new filter, and an inspection of everything else.

The very same as what an Indy does, a main dealer does, Advance pitstop do.

Sounds like good value to me.

• Advertisement

Lads, it's an oil change with a new filter, and an inspection of everything else. ..............

:eek: Serious :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    No doubt oil is changed too, no offence to Muinteor but I reckon some of the conversation may have been lost in translation.

All I quoted was what I was told. A change of filter and a nine point check. I asked what that was and was simply told that it is a standard nine point check. When I asked what that entailed, I was told "brakes and things like that". Nothing was lost in translation, the information was not supplied.

All I quoted was what I was told. A change of filter and a nine point check. I asked what that was and was simply told that it is a standard nine point check. When I asked what that entailed, I was told "brakes and things like that". Nothing was lost in translation, the information was not supplied.

Already a bit more info coming out ;)

Already a bit more info coming out ;)

While I appreciate such a witty retort, my initial post stands. Adding "brakes and things like that" was merely in response to an unhelpful message from yourself and pretty much sums up the lack of elaboration I received to my inquiry. But no doubt you will believe what you like.

I await your clever reply...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If they are that unkowalagable or disinterested in selling their product, you'd have to wonder how that relates to the work that would be done on your car:rolleyes:

While I appreciate such a witty retort, my initial post stands. Adding "brakes and things like that" was merely in response to an unhelpful message from yourself and pretty much sums up the lack of elaboration I received to my inquiry. But no doubt you will believe what you like.

I await your clever reply...

In fairness you initially said (as per the above quote) that it was a filter change and a 9 point check, you specified that the person couldn't or wouldn't elaborate. It then turns out that they did in fact mention that the 9 point check would cover brakes and things like that. Which is actually contrary to your initial post, I dunno wtf you teach, Geography I'd say at a guess, it ain't English anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

In fairness you initially said (as per the above quote) that it was a filter change and a 9 point check, you specified that the person couldn't or wouldn't elaborate. It then turns out that they did in fact mention that the 9 point check would cover brakes and things like that. Which is actually contrary to your initial post, I dunno wtf you teach, Geography I'd say at a guess, it ain't English anyway :pac:

Hey leave Geography teachers out of it:D:D:D

Brakes and things like that - such a specific answer when asked for specifics... If that is how you define elaboration, hooray for you.

To return to the original point of the thread, thank you to all who contributed constructively, you have been most helpful.

Now I'm off on my eight-week teacher holiday, Mods feel free to close this thread if you like.

I dunno wtf you teach, Geography I'd say at a guess, it ain't English anyway :pac:

Attack the post, not the poster.

Brakes and things like that - such a specific answer when asked for specifics... If that is how you define elaboration, hooray for you.

To return to the original point of the thread, thank you to all who contributed constructively, you have been most helpful.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 9 point check - there's a standard set of checks that any mechanic will perform at a service (lights, fluid levels, tyres, brakes, chassis for damage, condition of CV boots etc, check for leaks, check for additional work required).
    Some garages will call this a 9-Point Check, others will call it a 129-Point Check (they count every bulb checked as a separate item, checking the rubbers on the pedals are 3 individual items checked etc.). The two are basically the same thing, there's just a bit of "creative accounting" involved in the latter.

I wouldn't think that talking to a crappy service adviser means your car will be worked on by a crappy mechanic, but it certainly wouldn't fill me with confidence either.

There's a lot of people offering similar deals at the moment, you don't need to take the first one you come across.
    I'd possibly ring a different Fast Fit depot and see if they instil you with more confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

-Chris- wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that talking to a crappy service adviser means your car will be worked on by a crappy mechanic, but it certainly wouldn't fill me with confidence either.

in the case of fast fit, and every other one of these 1-stop shops, the guy answering the phone usually is the "mechanic"
    i dont trust them to work on my car and have used them only a few times to get tyres changed over. each time they have suggested i get brakes changed, regardless of when they were last done.
    if you sit in the reception of one of them places and listen while they call customers back after the free "9 point check" you will see very quickly how they make their money.

i'm not saying that all the work they suggest is unneccesary but it sure seems like lots of cars need lots of expensive work.

Advertisement