Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time ? Welfare?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:50pm

Hi I am a recent graduate (mature student) never claimed welfare before so im new and confused with this.

I got a job part time it varies from week to week only finding out what hours i have at the end of the week - i got 17.5 hours last week but this week i will be working only 3.5 hours

can i claim welfare in this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Im pretty sure you can yes:). You need to go to your local social welfare office and speak to them. You can claim casual dole. It will vary week to week how much you get but you basically get a yellow card which you fill in and drop up every week to the local SW offices

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Hi I am a recent graduate (mature student) never claimed welfare before so im new and confused with this.

I got a job part time it varies from week to week only finding out what hours i have at the end of the week - i got 17.5 hours last week but this week i will be working only 3.5 hours

can i claim welfare in this scenario?

Yes you can, you would be claiming casual workers in that situation. It doesn't matter if you work different hours each week, this is to be expected when you are in part time work. Once a month you will be sent four slips onto which you mark your days of work in each week. These slips must then be sent back to the welfare office before the beginning of the next month. You will get paid, weekly by cheque in post, for each day that you are not in work excluding Sundays and obviously under the presumption that you are not making over a certain amount in wages.
    From experience this claim seems to take longer to process than JSA but just keep on to your local welfare office. My bf was waiting on a payment for months only to find (after contacting them) that one single missing slip was holding it up the whole time. After he got that sorted though they got his claim through in the next week or two.

Advertisement