Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trophies

Options
  • 23-06-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭

So i recently got a Platinum trophy, my first one (and probably my last!). It was on inFamous and it took 2 long, boring, angry hours to find that last blast shard. However, the feeling afterwards was great. More than great. If you'll excuse the pun, i felt like i achieved... something.

Anyway, i then saw someone here who has over 25 Platinums. My first reaction was wow, thats alot of dedicated trophy hunting. And i done a bit of research. And to my shock/horror, i found you can download saves that give you the platinums. Kinda defeats the purpose of it really.

Got me wondering, do you take Platinum Trophy achievements at face value? Or do you wonder if the high figure is improbable and they must have cheated.

On a side note, while looking to see if the same is possible on 360 (it is), i found this gem: Linky - Best of luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

On a side note, while looking to see if the same is possible on 360 (it is), i found this gem: Linky - Best of luck!

I'd offer him a kick in the balls and then delete his account! I had people who cheat in any way shape or form!

Anyways, I'm an Xbox playing, so I'm not 100% on what a Platinum trophy is. Wanna clue me in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think there's a discussion about this already on the Playstation forums. Anyway, I love getting a platinum but only if its fun to get and not a complete grind. Downloading a save to get a plat is a bit pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

deathrider wrote: »
    I'd offer him a kick in the balls and then delete his account! I had people who cheat in any way shape or form!

Anyways, I'm an Xbox playing, so I'm not 100% on what a Platinum trophy is. Wanna clue me in? :)

It's the last the trophy you can get after you've gotten all available trophies for a game.

There are bronze,silver,gold and 1 platinum trophy per game.
    The bronze being the easiest to acheive etc.

trophy = acheivement

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

deathrider wrote: »

A platinum trophy is unlocked when you get all other trophies (achievements) in a game. In xbox land, it would be awarded when you get the full 1000 gamer score on a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I almost had a platinum trophy in Assassin's Creed 2, I was combing Venice looking for the remaining feathers and eventually got all of them.

Unfortunately, the time I was awarded the trophy was when the Playstation network was down for 24 hours last year. So while it appeared to register at the time, when the network came back online the trophy was gone. So I had all 100 feathers, a separate trophy that can only be achieved after you have collected all 100 feathers, but not the trophy itself and hence no Platinum trophy.

The only way to get it now would be to start a new game and get all 100 feathers again, arse to that! Stupid Playstation network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I seriously doubt i'll ever bother getting a platinum. Most of them require hours of boring grinding, and most people end up using maps from the net. There is no skill whatsoever in that. When (if) they had some decent platinum's, maybe, but from what i've seen so far, most are pretty useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

i like getting certain trophies just for the names of them. Example; Was playing borderlands and i got a trophy called: There are some who call me...Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The closest I've gotten is on Assassins Creed Brotherhood. One trophy away. Unfortunately, its nearly impossible to get without boosting in a private game. Can't be arsed with that. Multiplayer trophies like that are unfair to be honest because so much depends on other players, rather than just being good at the game.

Planning on replaying AC2 in a few months. No multiplayer, so going to go for the Platinum this time.

Unless it's a single player game that I really like, I generally don't care about trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Never really saw the appeal of trophies myself, sometimes seeing the little icon pop-up can completely ruin any sense of immersion - Fallout would have been better with them hidden. I did almost get a platinum in inFamous, just because trying to do all the hidden moves was a lot of fun, but I didn't want to touch the blast shard collection, so it can stay at 70% or so.

That kind of collection can be good if the hidden stuff encourages you to explore more and find interesting things - GTA III did it well, but mostly it's a grind with no reward other than a picture of a trophy. I want a real trophy!

My most prized Platinum has to be Batman Arkham Asylum. Getting that last combat challenge room was epic. Ass Creed 2 was a lot of fun getting it as well except for that bastarding feather hunt but that was my last trophy. Infamous was too annoying with blast shards but infamous 2 looks a bit more do-able with Shard Sense.

Only missing 3 trophies in Ass Creed Brotherhood but they are online trophies and boosting in MP is just not fun. I hate MP trophies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Actually I got pretty far in Batman with trophies too, it was really well worked into the game, and the Riddler stuff was the perfect reward for exploring, fantastically done. I'd have gotten the only platinum I probably ever will if I wasn't so rubbish at the combat challenges. Definitely up there as an example of how trophies should be integrated into a game

Exactly man, it felt like you got the trophies in that for actually doing well at the game and not just grinding. Can't wait for Arkham City so I can go for the plat in that one as well.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    My most prized Platinum has to be Batman Arkham Asylum. Getting that last combat challenge room was epic.

I so want the Plat for that game. But for the life of me i cannot get the Freeflow trophy where you have to string all the moves in one combo. And even then i still need to get most of the medal trophies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

i like getting certain trophies just for the names of them. Example; Was playing borderlands and i got a trophy called: There are some who call me...Tim

I wouldn't mind getting the 'Romero would be proud' plat for Dead Nation.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting the 'Romero would be proud' plat for Dead Nation.

Hivemind F1ingers. Im playing through in Grim difficulty now

I so want the Plat for that game. But for the life of me i cannot get the Freeflow trophy where you have to string all the moves in one combo. And even then i still need to get most of the medal trophies.

Saying that man, my fingers were in bits and I did spend a few days straight playing the challenges. Mess up on hit and losing a combo meant restarting the challenge. Infuriating at times but well worth it when it all came together. There's a vid on youtube showing how to get that Freeflow trophy. It suggests an easy level to get it on, can't remember which one.

Here is one vid shoing the freeflow perfection vid. What helps as well, if you find yourself away from the action or just want to slow it down to gather your thoughts, use the 'roll' manoeuvre to keep your combo going.

Here is one vid shoing the freeflow perfection vid. What helps as well, if you find yourself away from the action or just want to slow it down to gather your thoughts, use the 'roll' manoeuvre to keep your combo going.

Thanks Sheehy ,i'll try later if i can muster the patience :D

One of my prized platinums is 'Legend of the West' for red dead redemption, and i platinum'd that easier than i'm guessing it is for Batman:AA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I love plat trophies so long as there are no annoying online ones. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is a great example.

Loved Assassin's Creed 2 though, the trophy was all down to you and a nice one to get.

My most prized Platinum trophy is my Mirror's Edge one. Love that game.

Actually try for Arkham Asylum at the moment, it's a tough one, but all in your own hands, no annoying multi-player ones.

My most prized Platinum trophy is my Mirror's Edge one. Love that game.

How the fup did you get it!? I tortured myself to get only half of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

With a lot of swearing and ghost shadowing!!! :)

There are some great resources online for helping with this trophy, especially on some youtube channels.

When im finished with Duke Nukem Forever, Mirrors edge and Batmans time will come

One of my prized platinums is 'Legend of the West' for red dead redemption, and i platinum'd that easier than i'm guessing it is for Batman:AA

WHAT! :eek: Well going by your name, i'd say you were into that game :). Don't think I even got 50% trophies in that, but then again, didn't really enjoy that game but RDR has to be tougher than Batman trophy wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

So i recently got a Platinum trophy, my first one (and probably my last!). It was on inFamous and it took 2 long, boring, angry hours to find that last blast shard. However, the feeling afterwards was great. More than great. If you'll excuse the pun, i felt like i achieved... something.

Wait, to get Plat on inFamous, do you have to play through the game twice??? Because you get trophies for picking either good or bad in the Karma moments.

Wait, to get Plat on inFamous, do you have to play through the game twice??? Because you get trophies for picking either good or bad in the Karma moments.

Yupp, 2 playthroughs, good and evil and one of those on hard. Have to remember what decisions you made in the first and make the opposite on the next run. I never bothered but Infamous 2 is much more fun than 1 so far so its more likely i'll try for plat in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Yupp, 2 playthroughs, good and evil and one of those on hard. Have to remember what decisions you made in the first and make the opposite on the next run. I never bothered but Infamous is much more fun than 1 so far so its more likely i'll try for plat in this one.

Ahhhhh, wont be goin for Plat on that so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ahhhhh, wont be goin for Plat on that so :rolleyes:

To he honest, my good and evil playthroughs were about a year apart. The game is the exact same just that there are a few dialogue differences and colour changes, so i needed a bit of time between each.

On the MP trophies, i said it somewhere else before, there should be seperate MP trophies and it shouldn't affect your chances of getting a plat on the SP. AC: Brotherhood would've been a plat for me if it wasn't for the MP parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

A question a bout platinum trophies, do you lose your trophy if there is additional DLC released after the acquisition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

CORaven wrote: »
    A question a bout platinum trophies, do you lose your trophy if there is additional DLC released after the acquisition?

No. Plats always activate once you get all the DEFAULT DISC trophies, even if you have DLC. Not sure about GOTY editions though, which usually have all the DLC for a game (if it had any) and all the DLC trophies in it, meaing they could make you get all defauly and DLC trophies before a plat because on the GOTY editions they're all technically default disc trophies.

I only platinum games that I enjoy. I don't consider myself a trophy hunter... in fact I actually hate the fact that they added the entire trophy aspect of games. I wish I could turn it off but it's too late now, I already have plenty. If a games sucks n' I don't like it, I probably won't even play it... if it's meh and i play it, I won't get many trophies. But if I love, I'll dedicate time to getting all the trophies. I have 100% on games known for hard trophies just because I usually like em'.

• Advertisement

Exactly Ninja Bob!

I really want the plat for Mass Effect 2. Have all the DLC trophies, only missing the Insanity mode trophy. What a son of a biitch!!

Advertisement