Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

skeenan89 wrote: »
    at the moment im just going to do the two....working in a solicitors office at the moment but no actual traineeship lined up so figured no rush in getting the other 4 and might as well go easier on myself!:D

i know how you feel....felt like an absolute pauper in november....but in fairness, was def worth it in the end when the results came:)
    what about urself?

thanks soo much for the exam grids...will give u a pm next week:)

Yeah you are right there, better to attempt two and get them rather than go for 4 and flunk em. I believe tort can be tricky!

Ah yes, the results were worth the poverty and the stress:D still can't believe I passed them, even though I have sold the manuals. Happy days.

Would love to get experience in a Solicitor's office, but I work FT and couldn't afford to give that up at the moment. What a pity that solicitor's offices are closed on weekends and after 5.30, as would be happy to do work then gratis. I have no training contract either, and am currently eyeing up CV to make it "law firm" ready!!!!

No worries re exam grids. Anyone who appreciates the Colonel's sense of humour deserves every kindness;) The course starts next week, so should get grids the or at the very latest the week after when Moodle is up and running.

Have a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Silly question for the legal gurus out there not doubt.

Section 13 of the Land and Conveyancing Law reform act 2009 prohibits the creation of the fee tail estate in Ireland.

Are there any other ways to keep property in the family for generations now without someone squandering it.

Apologies if this is a stupid question! Just dont quite get the full picture

I know a trust fund is an idea but ......... would that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 missy22

Hi (sorry if this has been asked before)

I want to sit 4 or 5 of the FE1s in March/April 2012 and im looking into buying manuals. I know someone selling 2010/11 manuals so my question is does the year of the manuals matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

Hey all, I was just wondering that once we qualify as a solicitor here in Ireland and if we were hoping to travel over to the UK to work, would our qualification as a solicitor with say an LLB degree be recognised, or do we have to jump through more hoops?? any help would be really appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conshan88

{SNIP}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fe1sagain

missy22 wrote: »
    Hi (sorry if this has been asked before)

I want to sit 4 or 5 of the FE1s in March/April 2012 and im looking into buying manuals. I know someone selling 2010/11 manuals so my question is does the year of the manuals matter?

The year usually doesn't matter provided there hasn't been major changes i.e. Lisbon and the Article re-numbering for EU Law. Having said that I personally always tried to buy manuals from the most recent sitting. You pay a premium but I studied by myself so I wanted peace of mind that I didn't have to use textbooks. Some people use textbooks so the year of the manual might not be so important to them as it's not their primary study material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 missy22

fe1sagain wrote: »
    The year usually doesn't matter provided there hasn't been major changes i.e. Lisbon and the Article re-numbering for EU Law. Having said that I personally always tried to buy manuals from the most recent sitting. You pay a premium but I studied by myself so I wanted peace of mind that I didn't have to use textbooks. Some people use textbooks so the year of the manual might not be so important to them as it's not their primary study material.

Thanks for that! One more thing can I sit 4 in March/April time and 4 the following October or do they have to be in the same school year?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

missy22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! One more thing can I sit 4 in March/April time and 4 the following October or do they have to be in the same school year?

You can do four and four the way you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rara22

Was wondering if theres any chance someone could send me exam grids for company and/or tort? It would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭skeenan89

rara22 wrote: »
    Was wondering if theres any chance someone could send me exam grids for company and/or tort? It would be much appreciated!

i would also be eternally grateful for a tort exam grid...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

skeenan89 wrote: »
    i would also be eternally grateful for a tort exam grid...:D

yep...me too and property+const if at all possible.
    back doing them after a year off...Aiyeeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Hey
    when do most ppl start studying for the next sitting?

Hey
    when do most ppl start studying for the next sitting?
    I attempted to start yesterday, but my eyes glazed over at the first page of the property manual:D Seriously though, some people have started already. I would say it depends on how many exams you will be sitting in October. Independent Colleges classes only started this week, so it is early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Hey, I'm a non-law graduate and have just started doing Contract, Property, Equity and Criminal in Independent Colleges. What are the best textbooks to complement the manuals??

Anyone else in the same boat?

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a non-law graduate and have just started doing Contract, Property, Equity and Criminal in Independent Colleges. What are the best textbooks to complement the manuals??

Hey MoneyMilo, whatever about textbooks, I would strongly advise you to go to Ciaran Patton's equity classes. He is fantastic and his predictions are usually spot on. There is now an updated 5th edition of Delany's Key textbook on Equity. It isn't in the library yet as far as I know, but is available to buy in Hodges Figgis. The Dowling Equity nutshell hasn't been updated for ages, so you are better off sticking to Delany (but it is a huge book, so be warned!)

A good book to look at re criminal is Criminal Law in Ireland by Kilkommins et al, that is in the library @indo (I can't recall the exact title at this moment, but the criminal law section in the library is small and it is a huge white book, so you can't miss it). Hanly is a bit out of date now. Also Ni Choileain's criminal law nutshell has been updated (2nd edition) and Sarah Carew's nutshell is excellent and is focused on FE1 and Bar exam takers.

Fergus Ryan's contract law nutshell is a fantastic introduction to the subject. McDermott's tome on contract law is the Royals Royce of contract law books, but it hasn't been updated. Ann(e) Enright is excellent also. Mind you contract law doesn't seem to change much, so these books are good go tos if the manual isn't making sense.

Ruth Canon's property law nutshell hasn't been updated since before the 2009 Act, so best to ignore than one probably. Fiona de Londras is an accessible text book. After that there is Lyall and Wylie both of whom have updated their text books. Make sure you get the most up to date versions of these in the library because of the 2009 Act. I am doing property myself at indo and am bogged down with lecture 1;) That stuff about the double use was tough going and it would have helped if the teacher had represented this concept in a diagram or something (as she speaks rather quickly).

Good luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Whatto

MoneyMilo wrote: »

The Independent Colleges manuals are much better than Griffith. You only need to learn the material from the manuals - do not add to your workload, there is already enough information that you need to take notes on without adding to it. Given that you're a non-law graduate - if there are areas that you are unsure about, refer to the reading list which the Law Society have on their website for the FE1s. In preparing for the exams, check your exam timetable (normally released in advance) and see if you have any exams on consecutive days.

I found it helped me to take notes from the chapters of the independent colleges manual on each chapter. After that, read/learn those notes a few times (I often ended up with 25+ pages of notes on each chapter) and then take notes of your own notes and bring it down to approx 5 sheets of notes. By this time, your 5 pages of notes (or more) will have the main areas/topics and cases underneath the topic. That will help you to memorise the relevant cases for the relevant topic etc etc.

Sorry, that may seem convoluted. Different methods of learning/note-taking works for different people. Do what suits you best.

Time wise, spend approx one week taking notes on each subject (YOU SHOULD COVER ALL CHAPTERS - DO NOT GUESS WHAT IS COMING UP AND NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING OUT - IT IS NOT WORTH IT). After one week of note taking, it will take about 2-3 days to learn the notes.

I just came onto this quickly to have a look at what people are saying etc. I completed mine in April. Equity appeared to be marked hardest in the most recent sitting (I took company, equity, criminal and contract in this sitting). Apparently a lot of people failed it. I got 50% thinking that it would be my best result. I got 58% in company but I think that is only because everybody had me freaked out with previous failure rates. Don't listen to other people. If you have the material covered, you will pass the exam. People don't fail because the examiner was lousy etc, its simply because they didn't do what they were suppose to do - cover the entire course - the entire course is examinable.

I sat EU, Constitutional, Tort and Property in the October sitting. EU is nicely marked, the examiner is very fair - take note of everything that he says in the reports. Constitutional was my least favourite and I scraped that but it is definitely the most predictable paper and having studied the course and the previous exam papers you will be able to break it up into sections.

FE1s are not as bad as they are made out to be. Yes, there is alot of work involved but thats what they expect at this stage. You will pass once you have covered all the material.

Best of luck!!!

:p

Hi I was just wondering if many people here were working full-time and studying for the FE1s or has anyone done it successfully.?

I have 5 months to study for 4 exams (i have a good bit of groundwork done studywise already). However, there is a possibility of a full-time job for me in the coming weeks. Could I realistically do both?

For the October 2010 sitting, I worked full-time up until the Friday - my exams began on the Monday. I sat EU, Tort, Constitutional and Property. Its not about whether you work full-time or not, its whether you will put in the adequate time to get the material covered. I began note-taking around June. For about 6 weeks before the exams, I started study each Friday night until late Sunday evenings without doing anything else. That involved - Friday 20h00 until 01h00, Saturday 08h00 until late Saturday night and same with Sundays.

Make sure that you have the whole week off during exams, don't work in between (which happened to me on one day) as it is too stressful!

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Commiserations - but to be honest, I wouldn't. The appeal process seems to be the last-chance saloon. I appealed 45 in contract last spring - no change, got 67 in Autumn. A friend appealed a 49, forget which subject - no change. I am thinking this morning of maybe appealing my 45 in Constitutional, has anyone had any success with appeals in Constitutional so far?

JC

Only read this post now. I got 46% in Constitutional law and was brought up to 50% after appealing. Did you go ahead and appeal it? I heard of one story where somebody was brought up 13% in Constitutional law before!

No motivation to study, summer makes this tough lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Whatto wrote: »
    Only read this post now. I got 46% in Constitutional law and was brought up to 50% after appealing. Did you go ahead and appeal it? I heard of one story where somebody was brought up 13% in Constitutional law before!

No, I decided to drink my hundred and twenty-five quid, at least that guarantees a result if only a sore head. Congrats on your successful appeal, must be great to convert a fail into a pass.

I'm thinking of doing two only in the autumn - crim and const, again. I have four passed at this stage. That would leave me company and EU for spring 2012, if I get two in the autumn. This is taking longer than I would have liked but at least I am half-way there now.

This is my first look at boards for months, I've dug out the books and tidied up my desk, it all looks great - all I need is motivation to begin and rain to keep me inside.

JC

• Advertisement

http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/2011/S19.html

Anybody wrestling with Equity might want to look at the above case, very recent and dealing with presumed resulting trusts. Much of the caselaw in the textbooks is either old, or non-Irish or both, so this will be an important statement of the law in Ireland since this stuff doesn't seem to get to the IESC too often.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

No, I decided to drink my hundred and twenty-five quid, at least that guarantees a result if only a sore head. Congrats on your successful appeal, must be great to convert a fail into a pass.

I'm thinking of doing two only in the autumn - crim and const, again. I have four passed at this stage. That would leave me company and EU for spring 2012, if I get two in the autumn. This is taking longer than I would have liked but at least I am half-way there now.

This is my first look at boards for months, I've dug out the books and tidied up my desk, it all looks great - all I need is motivation to begin and rain to keep me inside.

JC

I'd almost do Crim Comp and EU together... If someone is finding Constit hard (and who doesn't!) then you might want to devote your time wholly to that subject.

FE1 students get my sympathy...though not too much - my 8th day in as a trainee and it's already my second day in a row to work 8am to 12am...and weekends too... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'd almost do Crim Comp and EU together... If someone is finding Constit hard (and who doesn't!) then you might want to devote your time wholly to that subject.

FE1 students get my sympathy...though not too much - my 8th day in as a trainee and it's already my second day in a row to work 8am to 12am...and weekends too... :pac:

Thirdfox, where are ya doing your traineeship small/medium or large firm ? Im doing my traineeship at the mo and could not even imagine doing crazy hours like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

Hey!

I am currently out of work and i am considering doing the FE1's.

I have a BA in Law.

My question is.....that i am feeling a bit old (32) and I was wondering at this age would I find it hard to get an apprenticeship?

Also is it too late now to apply to sit the exams in Sept/Oct this year?

Thanks in advance.

Clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

CFOLEY85 wrote: »
    Thirdfox, where are ya doing your traineeship small/medium or large firm ? Im doing my traineeship at the mo and could not even imagine doing crazy hours like that!!

To be honest it varies from department to department. I just happen to be in one that (occasionally) works till 12. But corporate departments have been known to work till 4am or 6.

This would all be in the large commercial/corporate law firms.

I recall the partner from another top tier firm saying to me "Oh you read the Economist? I loved that journal, haven't had a chance to read it in years..." - From what I've seen, she could have been entirely serious.

Work hard, party harder I guess. Who says solicitors are overpaid? We work 3x the hours ;)

http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/2011/S19.html

Anybody wrestling with Equity might want to look at the above case, very recent and dealing with presumed resulting trusts. Much of the caselaw in the textbooks is either old, or non-Irish or both, so this will be an important statement of the law in Ireland since this stuff doesn't seem to get to the IESC too often.

JC

Don't forget that Delany has updated her Equity text book also, so that should be good:_) I am only going to do one exam now, property, though I had planed to do property and tort. I am just finding property really tough going tbh (I have never done it before). So, I would just prefer to focus on this and get it rather than do 2 subjects and risk flunking. Am half way through also, but am traineeship less, so I have time:D

Hey!

I have a BA in Law.

My question is.....that i am feeling a bit old (32) and I was wondering at this age would I find it hard to get an apprenticeship?

Thanks in advance.

Clueless!

Hey Clueless, it isn't too late to apply to sit the exams in October (they are all in October this year, starting on the 4th - the timetable is up on the law society website). Are you planning to sit all 8? The grind schools have just started up (Griffith on May 31st and Independent 2 weeks ago), so not too late to catch up on lectures. There is a thread for buying older manuals on boards, which is handy as the courses are very expensive (395 Euro per subject). Good luck with your decision at any rate, and as for your age, well I am 39, so 32 too certainly isn't too old in comparison. I worry about age too, but I am half way through now, so will continue on and give it my all. It might be an idea to have your CV looked at by your careers advisor in college. I did that recently, and found it great. Plus they will have information about law firm open days and such (big commercial firms).

Finally, if you do decide to go ahead with the exams, get cracking on the study asap, as there is a lot to learn between now and the October exams. Make sure you read the examiners reports (available to purchase on the Law Society website) and look at past papers (also available to purchase on the Law Society website).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just got an email from lawsociety.ie.

RECHECK RESULTS WILL BE RELEASED NEXT FRIDAY

Hey!

I have a BA in Law.

Thanks in advance.

Clueless!

Welcome to the club. The greatest advantage of being a mature student is the horror of the alternative.

JC

• Advertisement

Hey, so been looking at property q's. I was reading the examiner reprt for Q5 Oct 2010, it's a problem q on finding, was wondering if someone could help me out as to why treasure trove is to be discussed since the gold broach is on the land?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement