Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in Garden - who is responsible

Options
  • 08-06-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all - have a problem with 6 foxes living in the back gardens in a suburban area. This is an old estate so there are large dis-used gardens where they live. One house has two very young babies and i'm worried about their safety. there are 6 foxes and they come to within feet of the back door. They bask in the sunshine on top of the garden sheds in the mornings (not today mind you!).
    Also the pensioner next door has been growing veg for FIFTY years straight and is demented with the foxes destroying his garden.
    I rang the CIty Council and they say it's the HSE. The HSE have a pest control dept for rats, mice and insects. Today they tell me they don't do foxes. My view is foxes are pests, they are dangerous (several attacks have heppened in the UK), they are rampent at the moment and I can't see how the HSE can deny responsibility.

Has anyone else been up this road before I go on my campaign to get this resolved?

Thanks
    APW
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

apw99 wrote: »
    Hi all - have a problem with 6 foxes living in the back gardens in a suburban area. This is an old estate so there are large dis-used gardens where they live. One house has two very young babies and i'm worried about their safety. there are 6 foxes and they come to within feet of the back door. They bask in the sunshine on top of the garden sheds in the mornings (not today mind you!).
    Also the pensioner next door has been growing veg for FIFTY years straight and is demented with the foxes destroying his garden.
    I rang the CIty Council and they say it's the HSE. The HSE have a pest control dept for rats, mice and insects. Today they tell me they don't do foxes. My view is foxes are pests, they are dangerous (several attacks have heppened in the UK), they are rampent at the moment and I can't see how the HSE can deny responsibility.

Has anyone else been up this road before I go on my campaign to get this resolved?

Thanks
    APW
    Foxes aren't dangerous to people. The media reports for the Uk were nothing more than overhyped rubbish which played to gullible people. The foxes have a right to exist as well.

What do you want HSE to do? Eradicate foxes from the country???
    Chill.............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My view is cats are pests because they are constantly soiling my garden but then I doubt the HSE will catch them all for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My view is foxes are pests, they are dangerous (several attacks have heppened in the UK), they are rampent at the moment and I can't see how the HSE can deny responsibility.

About 2 attacks over 6/7 years and no one died, classic overhyped tabloid fearmongering.

The number of people who die each year from the likes of bee stings, dog attacks and the like would be far more worrying.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/urbanfoxes/urbanconflict.html#q6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

They hunt rats. If you manage to have them killed, I wish a plague of rats on you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

An interesting article about Urban Foxes from an Irish perspective can be found here http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/factsheets/fox/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 apw99

Everyone has their view on foxes, no problem with that, and I think most people don't have a problem with foxes, so long as they are in someone elses property, destroyong someone elses hard work, being a (very remote) threat to someone elses kids or whatever. So if the HSE want to eradicate foxes from the county I am not too bothered either way. Chilled? yes, very chilled..sick of pests..yes I am that too. Some useful articles there folks, thanks for that.
    Oh BTW - checked yesterday and there are now EIGHT foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Live catch cage trap will likely catch suburban foxes. Don't know where you are, or if there are any gunclubs near you but they may have one. Decent pest controller should have one. The problem then is one of dispatch or removal for dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Foxes aren't dangerous to people. The media reports for the Uk were nothing more than overhyped rubbish which played to gullible people. The foxes have a right to exist as well.

What?:eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10251349

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Everyone has their view on foxes, no problem with that, and I think most people don't have a problem with foxes, so long as they are in someone elses property.

I like foxes. I think they have a lovely colour but they are wild feral animals and I wouldn't want them living in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks
    APW

I have a weed problem in my lawn I want the Dept of Agriculture to fix and does anyone know who in Coilte I should contact about getting my trees pruned. Alternatively I could realise that the state has no money and just take care of it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seriously - spare the hassle for yourself and whoever the poor sod in the HSE who would have to deal with your issue. you'll only make yourself look unreasonable.
    there is no disease issue with foxes. there's bugger all safety issue. the HSE are not going to wrap you in cotton wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

seriously - spare the hassle for yourself and whoever the poor sod in the HSE who would have to deal with your issue. you'll only make yourself look unreasonable.
    there is no disease issue with foxes. there's bugger all safety issue. the HSE are not going to wrap you in cotton wool.

On the contrary despite the general benign almost romantic popular view of foxes, they do suffer from various diseases some of which would be dangerous to humans. To deny any health risk is simply being naieve. They also cause plenty of damage and are a general nuisance in urban gardens.

But before the 'bleeding hearts' start accusing me of being anti-fox, I'm not, but they do not belong in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

On the contrary despite the general benign almost romantic popular view of foxes, they do suffer from various diseases some of which would be dangerous to humans. To deny any health risk is simply being naieve. They also cause plenty of damage and are a general nuisance in urban gardens.

But before the 'bleeding hearts' start accusing me of being anti-fox, I'm not, but they do not belong in urban areas.

Sonnenblumen they have adapted to living in towns and villages for donkeys years simply because of the free food we supply in our bins and from commercial premises (takeaways). In fact you could say they are a good thing here because for sure towns, villages and cities would be over run with rats if the foxes hadnt got the food waste first.

Any animal can carry diseases which could affect humans and that especially includes the ones we eat never mind the countries wildlife. Probably all animals are more at risk from the diseases we carry and produce.

Foxes are an important link in the make up of the countries wildlife and probably do as much good as they do bad.

I am not a fox lover i hate the smelly things.......Is there a grant to get rid of them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

you need better fences,how are they getting on top of the sheds,make it as hard as possible to get into the gardens,maybe try running an electric fence around the perimeter along the top of the existing fence,you can buy a small battery operated electric fence for handy money,once they shock from the fence they stay away and it wouldnt have to be left on all the time

What are the major zoonotic disease that foxes give to people in Ireland???
    You are scaremongering Sunflower.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

brian_t wrote: »
    An interesting article about Urban Foxes from an Irish perspective can be found here http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/factsheets/fox/index.html

Very interesting article Brian, thanks for posting! well worth the read, may change a few peoples view on urban foxes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 yossor

female fox living in field at the back of my house. She has her second batch of cubs now. prior to her arrival rabbits were a plaque and made gardening a night mare. not to many rabbits around now.

APW if the foxes are a problem for you you need to take action yourself. I think expecting the HSE, the council etc to sort it is a waste of time.

Fencing or call in a pest control firm as suggested already are your best options

brian_t wrote: »

Of coure the same Mooney believes rats are lovely creatures and cannot understand why so many Irish people fear/hate them!:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the same mooney didn't write the article in the link though.

Traonach wrote: »
    What are the major zoonotic disease that foxes give to people in Ireland???
    You are scaremongering Sunflower.....

Are you a VET, if yes, then you should know that zoonotic diseases infect humans through several routes. Foxes like other wild animals prey on infected rodents, can spread diseases to humans.

I suspect you are not a vet, in which case, enjoy your Disney world of foxes.

• Advertisement

I just looked on wiki cause like most people i dont know what a zoonotic disease is. I think it means one that people can get from some other thing. Wiki also lists the animals and insects which can infect you with a zoonotic disease and there are many all of which you will come in to contact with many times a day such as a housefly for instance:eek::eek::eek:

So in reality a fox is no more dangerous than a bluebottle Sonnenblumen?

fodda wrote: »
    I just looked on wiki cause like most people i dont know what a zoonotic disease is. I think it means one that people can get from some other thing. Wiki also lists the animals and insects which can infect you with a zoonotic disease and there are many all of which you will come in to contact with many times a day such as a housefly for instance:eek::eek::eek:

So in reality a fox is no more dangerous than a bluebottle Sonnenblumen?

What a stupid conclusion, I suggest you keep digging.:(

the same mooney didn't write the article in the link though.

OMG, you mean there's more than one?:eek::p

Are you a VET, if yes, then you should know that zoonotic diseases infect humans through several routes. Foxes like other wild animals prey on infected rodents, can spread diseases to humans.

I suspect you are not a vet, in which case, enjoy your Disney world of foxes.
    You didn't answer my question???????

What a stupid conclusion, I suggest you keep digging.:(

Yes i suppose so, (was supposed to be a joke) but you bought the infectious diseases up and they carry no more or worse diseases than any other animal that can infect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

Heres an interesting article on the so called diseases and dangers of foxes to ease a few peoples minds. http://www.foxproject.org.uk/ :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh, i would love them in my garden, they would save me a fortune on rat killer and helpful would keep the cats away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Looks like you'll have to put the dog down as well.

i caught swine flu from my girlfriend. i rang the HSE about having her culled, but they said it was not their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Tiffy6666

Listen I have had foxes in my garden for years, and they're not evil little pests, I actually think they're quite pretty. Listen, about the attacks in the UK those are all really exaggerated. I doubt that you would be silly enough to leave your kitchen window open, especially since they've already come so close...

Advertisement