Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jimkekk

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Evidence please for all these wild claims you're making. Universally condemned where?? In your own head or your own maths department? It's a new syllabus, things will go wrong, mistakes will be made but I will reiterate my point that these syllabus will go some way to rectifying the issue of rote learning as the focus of mathematics teaching at secondary level. Yes it's completely flawed but you haven't really said why you think it is. All I read here is hyperbole.
    There was nothing wrong with the current LCHMaths syllabus .It prepared students very well for 3rd level.Rote learning will not get you an A or B in the LCH maths .There was no need to change the syllabus tweek it a bit yes but to radically change it was a mistake.
    The reasons teachers do not approve of the new syllabus
    (i)Too much emphesis on statistics and probability gone from worth 25% of the marks on paper 2 to 50% .Probability and statistics do not feature in many first year 3rd level courses.
    (ii)Compulsory Geommetry (rote learning of Theorems).Geometry has never been examined at LCHM nor is it examined at 3rd level.
    (iii)Important topics such as vectors,matrices,linear transformations,most of sequences and series ,most of the algebra course based on quadratics.
    20% of the differential calculus course ,about 30% of the course on Integration have all been removed.All of which are examined at 3rd level .
    (iv)A new subjective marking scheme has been introduced which will enable the SEC get what ever results they require .
    (v)The people running project maths have had their sample papers rejected by the pilot schools see ministers reply to a question from Olivia Mitchell
    "It is not the normal practice to issue mock examination papers. However, the
    NCCA issued mock papers to the 24 Project Schools in February 2011 which were
    intended to supplement sample question material already sent to schools for the
    relevant strands the previous summer, and the sample papers published by the
    State Examinations Commission in October 2010. The feedback indicates that the
    questions in the mock papers were more difficult than expected. In response,
    all of the project schools were notified that it was the sample paper published
    by the SEC which reflects the standards and type of question likely to arise in
    the actual examination."
    I rest my case when the SEC tell the pilot schools to reject the mock papers set by the NCCA enough said

vallo wrote: »
    That man in the audience really annoyed me. He (and Pat) were dismissing the idea of taking maths out of the classroom and going out to measure the height of a tree using trigonometry. I have always done this and I firmly believe that it helps all students to learn the basics of trig, whatever their ability.
    having taught maths successfully for over 40 years and never gone out to measure a tree, i feel sorry for any students who have engaged in such a time wasting activity.
    But you are not alone .I also heard of one genius who took a half day to measure the waterfall in Powerscourt . No wonder maths results are the way they are .
    The class room is the place for maths tuition not the school tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm sorry but I work at third level and my phd is specifically in researching undergraduate students as they encounter university maths for the first time and these students are NOT prepared for 3rd level.

Also your claims of stats and probability not appearing in most 3rd level courses that require maths is rubbish. In NUIM the only students who don't take stats are the maths/theoretical physics people and there's about ten of them as opposed to almost 900 maths students in total.

Geometry is studied at third level, again just rubbish.

I put it to you that you're talking crap.

jimkekk wrote: »
    having taught maths successfully for over 40 years and never gone out to measure a tree, i feel sorry for any students who have engaged in such a time wasting activity.
    But you are not alone .I also heard of one genius who took a half day to measure the waterfall in Powerscourt . No wonder maths results are the way they are .
    The class room is the place for maths tuition not the school tour!

I actually think you're on the wind up. You're seriously saying that there's no place for tuition outside the classroom? I think I've figured out your resistance to Project Maths, you don't want to change 40 years of bad habits.

I'm sorry but I work at third level and my phd is specifically in researching undergraduate students as they encounter university maths for the first time and these students are NOT prepared for 3rd level.

Also your claims of stats and probability not appearing in most 3rd level courses that require maths is rubbish. In NUIM the only students who don't take stats are the maths/theoretical physics people and there's about ten of them as opposed to almost 900 maths students in total.

Geometry is studied at third level, again just rubbish.

I put it to you that you're talking crap.
    It is quite obvious that you are living in some ivory tower in NUIM and did not bother to check what is on the maths syllabus in 1st Science/Ist Commerce 1st Engineering in UCD and in Trinity (real universities).
    There is no ecludian geometry being examined in any of the 1st year exams.Basic stats are examined in Science in 2nd year in DCU.
    If you think project maths will prepare students for 3rd level you are not living in the real world (I suspect in some acedemic Ivory tower supported by the state )The real world is the 2nd level classroom and project maths is about the worst solution to our current maths problems.It is a total dumbding down of maths .see projectmaths.com to see how they are awarding the marks .
    I not sure that you are aware of the fact that foundation level maths is going at Junior Cert ,this does not lead to a great hope for an improvement in standards.
    With all due respects you know nothing about project maths as you have no teaching experience of the course .Save your opinions until you have taught it for two years

• Advertisement

I actually think you're on the wind up. You're seriously saying that there's no place for tuition outside the classroom? I think I've figured out your resistance to Project Maths, you don't want to change 40 years of bad habits.
    Project maths believes that maths most have some relevence not true maths can be just pure maths .
    I think anybody who wastes time to measure a tree to solve a right angled triangle need to get in the real world.
    but this person probably believes that interactive white boards are an educational tool rather than a cop out by the teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anonymo

Project maths believes that maths most have some relevence not true maths can be just pure maths .
    I think anybody who wastes time to measure a tree to solve a right angled triangle need to get in the real world.
    but this person probably believes that interactive white boards are an educational tool rather than a cop out by the teacher

I'm a bit perplexed by LeixlipRed who appears to be completely behind project maths. Have you had a look at last years L.C. exam paper. It's beyond poor. If that is the standard that is being set then there are serious worries. It also appears from reports that the NCCA and the states exam commission differ wildly in what they think the standard of such exams such be. It is such a monumental change that it can only be described as a huge experiment. To any pragmatic viewpoint, this is an utterly ridiculous situation.

While I don't agree with the points being made about the merits of particular topics at third level, I do believe there is now an undue weighting towards statistics and there also appears to be a trend in making the subject more 'wordy'.

A proposal which I'm sure many would advocate would be to adjust the previous maths course to make better use of technologies. Topics like geometry and statistics lend themselves easily to this (which I presume is why projectmaths focusses on them - although appears to use very little technology!). But above all, maths should be taught as maths. A module within the maths syllabus whose particular scope is the application of methods would be great and as such that module/paper should acquire a greater weighting. This would be a more sensible way of improving the education of maths.

In short there are many ways in which the previous course could have been improved. Project Maths is clearly too experimental and, given that teachers of many years of experience are so dubious of its merits, should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

With all due respects you know nothing about project maths as you have no teaching experience of the course .Save your opinions until you have taught it for two years
    I'm gonna say the same to you regarding college courses, just reading up on the 1st year maths syllabus isn't going to tell the whole picture on whats covered.

Statistics is covered in most engineering courses, even in 'real' universities like UCD. And even though there are no courses or topics titled 'geometry' doesn't mean its not used extensively in other courses like mechanics and structures.

If you think project maths will prepare students for 3rd level you are not living in the real world (I suspect in some acedemic Ivory tower supported by the state )The real world is the 2nd level classroom and project maths is about the worst solution to our current maths problems.

Having spent 40 years as a secondary school teacher its a bit rich accusing others of not being in 'the real world' when it comes to the later application of maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In NUIM the only students who don't take stats are the maths/theoretical physics people and there's about ten of them as opposed to almost 900 maths students in total.

Our thphys lecturer in NUIM was appalled at our lack of stats by final year :)
    Anonymo wrote:
    Project Maths is clearly too experimental and, given that teachers of many years of experience are so dubious of its merits, should be scrapped.
    I don't think experimental is a problem, although standards certainly are...

Anonymo wrote: »
    I'm a bit perplexed by LeixlipRed who appears to be completely behind project maths. Have you had a look at last years L.C. exam paper. It's beyond poor. If that is the standard that is being set then there are serious worries. It also appears from reports that the NCCA and the states exam commission differ wildly in what they think the standard of such exams such be. It is such a monumental change that it can only be described as a huge experiment. To any pragmatic viewpoint, this is an utterly ridiculous situation.

While I don't agree with the points being made about the merits of particular topics at third level, I do believe there is now an undue weighting towards statistics and there also appears to be a trend in making the subject more 'wordy'.

A proposal which I'm sure many would advocate would be to adjust the previous maths course to make better use of technologies. Topics like geometry and statistics lend themselves easily to this (which I presume is why projectmaths focusses on them - although appears to use very little technology!). But above all, maths should be taught as maths. A module within the maths syllabus whose particular scope is the application of methods would be great and as such that module/paper should acquire a greater weighting. This would be a more sensible way of improving the education of maths.

In short there are many ways in which the previous course could have been improved. Project Maths is clearly too experimental and, given that teachers of many years of experience are so dubious of its merits, should be scrapped.
    I agree with alot of the points made .
    There was very little wrong with the post 94 Syllabus (although it was much easier than the pre 94 syllabus) .Ihave thought higher maths since about 1970 and in my opinion there has been a dumbing down of the course every time they change the syllabus . That is the first point .
    Project maths was introduced to try to increase the numbers doing HLCM .
    The numbers doing HLCM at the moment is about 8000 about 16% of the total taking LCM .
    A committee was formed to address the "problem" this committee decided that what was needed (i)Syllabus change (ii)Change in method of teaching to make maths more relevant.
    The committee then formed made up of mostly of non teachers or teachers with little or no teaching experience . The minister at the time Batt O'Keeffe apointed an ex Rose of Tralee with 6 months teaching experience as a spokesperson and "expert" . The committee was given lots of money and set about trying to change everything that was good about LC maths.
    This committee decided on the Syllabus and on the new methods (rejected in Finland 2007)of teaching .The committee gets most of its information from UL. There was no consultation with teachers or the Irish maths teachers association .
    The imtroduction of Project maths in 5th year was a mistake to much to far and should never have happened .
    The NCCA has produced sample papers which are so out of touch with reality that the SEC wrote to the 24 pilot schools telling them to ignore the NCCA papers. So now those who are implementing the course and deciding the syllabus are at odds with the NCCA .
    It is time for the NCCA project maths committee to resign.

• Advertisement

ZRelation wrote: »
    I'm gonna say the same to you regarding college courses, just reading up on the 1st year maths syllabus isn't going to tell the whole picture on whats covered.

Statistics is covered in most engineering courses, even in 'real' universities like UCD. And even though there are no courses or topics titled 'geometry' doesn't mean its not used extensively in other courses like mechanics and structures.

Having spent 40 years as a secondary school teacher its a bit rich accusing others of not being in 'the real world' when it comes to the later application of maths.
    I did not say I was a secondary school teacher I just said I thaught maths for 40 years .Everything I have said is true check the syllabii for 1st year college maths for Geometry

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

I did not say I was a secondary school teacher I just said I thaught maths for 40 years .Everything I have said is true check the syllabii for 1st year college maths for Geometry

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that while a course syllabus may not include 'geometry' as topic a fundamental knowledge of the topic may be still be required. Its not just 1st year college level maths courses that rely on what you learn in leaving cert maths.

And I would see stats as a pretty important part of the syllabus. How often are scientific reports/studies misinterpreted by the press and general public these days? If a student is hoping to go into almost any sort of scientific career then a knowledge of stats will be important.

All this said it does sound like the new course is being implanted pretty poorly, which is a shame. It sounds like it has/had potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anonymo

I agree with alot of the points made .
    There was very little wrong with the post 94 Syllabus (although it was much easier than the pre 94 syllabus) .Ihave thought higher maths since about 1970 and in my opinion there has been a dumbing down of the course every time they change the syllabus . That is the first point .
    Project maths was introduced to try to increase the numbers doing HLCM .
    The numbers doing HLCM at the moment is about 8000 about 16% of the total taking LCM .
    A committee was formed to address the "problem" this committee decided that what was needed (i)Syllabus change (ii)Change in method of teaching to make maths more relevant.
    The committee then formed made up of mostly of non teachers or teachers with little or no teaching experience . The minister at the time Batt O'Keeffe apointed an ex Rose of Tralee with 6 months teaching experience as a spokesperson and "expert" . The committee was given lots of money and set about trying to change everything that was good about LC maths.
    This committee decided on the Syllabus and on the new methods (rejected in Finland 2007)of teaching .The committee gets most of its information from UL. There was no consultation with teachers or the Irish maths teachers association .
    The imtroduction of Project maths in 5th year was a mistake to much to far and should never have happened .
    The NCCA has produced sample papers which are so out of touch with reality that the SEC wrote to the 24 pilot schools telling them to ignore the NCCA papers. So now those who are implementing the course and deciding the syllabus are at odds with the NCCA .
    It is time for the NCCA project maths committee to resign.

The dumbing down of the course is apparent from the exam papers (I don't want to harp on about them too much but they do set the tone for the course). Clearly there should be an addressing of the numbers doing Higher level maths at the LC but dumbing down caters to the lowest common denominator. In any case it's unlikely that it's the standard that is the problem. The issue which most students complain about is the size of the course (though for some this is not an issue). The clearest way to address this is to break up the LC exam into two stages ... may have paper one at the end of February and then paper two in June. This would allow for students to concentrate on certain aspects.

I agree that it's unhealthy that teachers don't make up a more sizeable proportion of the project maths team. However your criticism of the former Rose is unwarranted. In fact it would be better if more of her ilk were onboard. This is someone with a first class degree in theoretical physics and who has pursued a career as a teacher even though she had the opportunity to do a phd. Your criticism can be that the correct balance was not achieved, but to pick a particular example (unfairly in my opinion) does neither yourself nor your argument any favours.

Aside from this polemic I think we are broadly in agreement that project maths is poorly considered and, thusfar, terribly executed.

ZRelation wrote: »
    Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that while a course syllabus may not include 'geometry' as topic a fundamental knowledge of the topic may be still be required. Its not just 1st year college level maths courses that rely on what you learn in leaving cert maths.

And I would see stats as a pretty important part of the syllabus. How often are scientific reports/studies misinterpreted by the press and general public these days? If a student is hoping to go into almost any sort of scientific career then a knowledge of stats will be important.

All this said it does sound like the new course is being implanted pretty poorly, which is a shame. It sounds like it has/had potential.
    I have no issue with geometry and statistics being on the HLCM syllabus .
    It is the amount of compulsory Geometry and statistics that I object to!
    I also question the wisdom of removing/reducing other important topics such as parts of algebra ,matrices/vectors/integration/series/Binomial theorem, Max and Min problems in differential calculus .
    also the sine rule has been removed from HJC as has the area of a triangle and of course foundation level maths .
    But my biggest concern is the people in the NCCA who are in charge of Project maths they have produced a series of sample papers which were littered with errors ,contained topics (5)not on the course and which the Dept of Ed instructed the pilot schools to ignore as they did not represent a fair assesment of the syllabus.
    Students in the pilot schools sitting the LCM exam in June are at a serious disadvantage (but they have been assured that they will be looked after).
    Another Irish solution to an Irish problem.
    It is time that there is a complete review of Project maths and the present NCCA committee should resign

Your comment about "real" universities just outlines how much credence we can give to your comments. You say you've been teaching for 40 years and yet you have the maturity of one of the pupils you teach.

I'm not pro Project maths. I'm anti-rote learning. The current LC syllabus and the teachers that teach it are entrenched in this system.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Our thphys lecturer in NUIM was appalled at our lack of stats by final year :)

Hardy har har. Not the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out that jimkekk was talking through his hole. Statistics and probability theory are essential subjects for any science or social science graduate intending to do research either in postgrad form or in the workplace.

Hardy har har. Not the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out that jimkekk was talking through his hole. Statistics and probability theory are essential subjects for any science or social science graduate intending to do research either in postgrad form or in the workplace.
    Stats and probability are not a major part of any first year 3rd level course neither is Euclidian geometry check your facts .They do feature at 2nd and 3rd year but not in first year as I said wheras algebra/calculus/matrices/vectors do.I rest my case .Also most statistical problems at 3rd level involve subbing numbers into computer programs.
    It seems that most of the pro project maths comments come from people who are not involved in teaching the subject at second level and as a result to use a phrase from the previous post he is talking through his hole.

Your comment about "real" universities just outlines how much credence we can give to your comments. You say you've been teaching for 40 years and yet you have the maturity of one of the pupils you teach.

I'm not pro Project maths. I'm anti-rote learning. The current LC syllabus and the teachers that teach it are entrenched in this system.
    If you are so against rote learning why do you support Project Maths which involves learning Geometry Theorems off by heart (compulsory for first time on LCHM) and learning lots of definitions of different types of data off by heart ,learning the rules of probability using sets off by heart ,learning the rules for finiancial maths off by heart .
    Check the draft syllabus.
    Rote learning is alive and well in Project maths .
    The bigger issue is the NCCA project maths committee which has lost all creditability as a result of their discredited sample papers .
    see below minister Quinns reply to a parlimentary question.
    State Examinations Commission in October 2010.
    The feedback indicates that the
    questions in the mock papers were more difficult than expected. In response, all of the project schools were notified that it was the sample paper published by the SEC which reflects the standards and type of question likely to arise in the actual examination.
    The SEC no longer agrees that the NCCA should set sample papers.
    It is also interesting to note that the gen Sec of the ASTI did not support project maths on the recent frontline program

You're not addressing the issue of rote learning. That is the single biggest crutch to students coming to third level. Any student with a mind open to mathematics can pick up vectors or matrices in the first year of 3rd level. Content is important but the main aim of the syllabus is to eliminate rote learning. It doesn't cater to the most talented students, I admit that. But neither does the current course, it's an awful course, nothing elegant or interesting about the mathematics on it.

The main issue for me is that teachers are resisting this because they don't want to move out of a comfort zone. A comfort zone of regurgitating the same rubbish year in year out. I know this from experience as I've been involved in working with some second level teachers on the new syllabus. The main issues I've encountered are a lack of mathematical training from the teacher's side (UL survey 2 years ago puts the figure at 50% of maths teachers at second level are unqualified) and fear of having to teach a course that's open ended.

Rote learning is ruining people's lives at 3rd level. I'm not talking about the best and brightest here. Service maths students at 3rd level are entering university with a huge crutch in the form of rote learning. If we don't take steps to eradicate it then the implications are disastrous. Degrees are already being devalued. Academic standards are slipping. It's rote learning not content that is the main focus for me. We can get the content right over the course of years. The best and brightest students will pick it up at 3rd level. It's the rest of the students that we need to worry about.

If you are so against rote learning why do you support Project Maths which involves learning Geometry Theorems off by heart (compulsory for first time on LCHM) and learning lots of definitions of different types of data off by heart ,learning the rules of probability using sets off by heart ,learning the rules for finiancial maths off by heart .
    Check the draft syllabus.
    Rote learning is alive and well in Project maths .
    The bigger issue is the NCCA project maths committee which has lost all creditability as a result of their discredited sample papers .
    see below minister Quinns reply to a parlimentary question.
    State Examinations Commission in October 2010.
    The feedback indicates that the
    questions in the mock papers were more difficult than expected. In response, all of the project schools were notified that it was the sample paper published by the SEC which reflects the standards and type of question likely to arise in the actual examination.
    The SEC no longer agrees that the NCCA should set sample papers.
    It is also interesting to note that the gen Sec of the ASTI did not support project maths on the recent frontline program

Who says these things have to be learned off by heart?? Show me the quote in the syllabus document that says, "students must learn off these rules by heart"? I'm not saying Project Maths is infallible. I just feel that it's going in the right direction with regards to rote learning. Open ended questions and a lack of choice being the two major things for me.

And the union guy is against it for the reasons I said teachers were against it above. The unqualified ones are crapping themselves, they can't spoof it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Stats and probability are not a major part of any first year 3rd level course .......Also most statistical problems at 3rd level involve subbing numbers into computer programs.

I did a module in Statistics in the first year of my Chemical Engineering degree (it was all theory and lectures too-no computer programs).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Hardy har har. Not the point I was trying to make.

However the point bluewolf was trying to make is that Maynooth has very poor standards.

Just today I was giving grinds to a girl who is about to do her maths finals in Maynooth (BA). She was amazed to hear about composition of functions "f o g" i.e. "f after g". She had no familiarity with this, I was breaking fresh ground with her as I showed her simple examples.

She could not identify if a function was injective or surjective, and failed to recognise log(AB) = log(A) + log(B) when I wrote it down.

What is she going to do in September? H Dip in maths teaching. She is our next generation of maths teachers. :pac:

My point: Most maths teachers have a weak grasp of maths, having learnt it by rote to a fairly poor standard themselves. Therefore asking them to convey understanding to their students (in project maths) is a tall order.

You're not addressing the issue of rote learning. That is the single biggest crutch to students coming to third level. Any student with a mind open to mathematics can pick up vectors or matrices in the first year of 3rd level. Content is important but the main aim of the syllabus is to eliminate rote learning. It doesn't cater to the most talented students, I admit that. But neither does the current course, it's an awful course, nothing elegant or interesting about the mathematics on it.

The main issue for me is that teachers are resisting this because they don't want to move out of a comfort zone. A comfort zone of regurgitating the same rubbish year in year out. I know this from experience as I've been involved in working with some second level teachers on the new syllabus. The main issues I've encountered are a lack of mathematical training from the teacher's side (UL survey 2 years ago puts the figure at 50% of maths teachers at second level are unqualified) and fear of having to teach a course that's open ended.

Rote learning is ruining people's lives at 3rd level. I'm not talking about the best and brightest here. Service maths students at 3rd level are entering university with a huge crutch in the form of rote learning. If we don't take steps to eradicate it then the implications are disastrous. Degrees are already being devalued. Academic standards are slipping. It's rote learning not content that is the main focus for me. We can get the content right over the course of years. The best and brightest students will pick it up at 3rd level. It's the rest of the students that we need to worry about.
    Rote learning will not get you an A1 A2 or B1 (thank god) the leaving cert H has always had what I would call A1,A2 blockers usually in the most popular questions on Paper 1 .Project maths has probably more rote learning than the old course .
    The old course did not need to be changed to project maths but just to be tweeked .
    By the way the only rote learning bits on LCHM were first principles some proofs and the difference equations.

However the point bluewolf was trying to make is that Maynooth has very poor standards.

Just today I was giving grinds to a girl who is about to do her maths finals in Maynooth (BA). She was amazed to hear about composition of functions "f o g" i.e. "f after g". She had no familiarity with this, I was breaking fresh ground with her as I showed her simple examples.

She could not identify if a function was injective or surjective, and failed to recognise log(AB) = log(A) + log(B) when I wrote it down.

What is she going to do in September? H Dip in maths teaching. She is our next generation of maths teachers. :pac:

My point: Most maths teachers have a weak grasp of maths, having learnt it by rote to a fairly poor standard themselves. Therefore asking them to convey understanding to their students (in project maths) is a tall order.
    Everything you say is a result of the dumbing down of maths in 2nd level.
    The real major dropping of standards happened in 2003 with the changes to the Junior Cert . All of the following were removed
    (i)Compositions of functions fog etc.
    It can be a a very nice way to explain the chain rule in differentiation students do not understand the concept of a function of a function.
    (ii)Logs including change of base .
    (iii)Quadratic inequalities.
    (iv)Binary Operations
    (v)Symmetric difference in Sets .
    (vi)Area of a triangle in Coordinate geometry .
    (vii)Image of a line by a translation.
    (viii)sum and difference of 2 cubes
    And nothing was added!
    This is why present 3rd level students know nothing .Because they came through a maths syllabus at Junior Cert which is basically 4th class primary standard.
    Injections and surjections were on the Leaving cert Ordinary level in the 1980's!They were never very popular a bit to difficult for Ord students but they were there!
    Project maths will do nothing to improve this! They have removed even more topics from the Junior cert H syllabus .
    Including the area of a triangle and the sine rule.
    If you compare the Project maths syllabus for Junior Cert and the Pre 1990 Junior Cert Syllabus you would be shocked how standards have dropped! Foundation level maths is also being removed.

Good luck with your student

Who says these things have to be learned off by heart?? Show me the quote in the syllabus document that says, "students must learn off these rules by heart"? I'm not saying Project Maths is infallible. I just feel that it's going in the right direction with regards to rote learning. Open ended questions and a lack of choice being the two major things for me.

And the union guy is against it for the reasons I said teachers were against it above. The unqualified ones are crapping themselves, they can't spoof it anymore.

Leaving cert (h) project maths 3 geometry theorems to be learned off by heart, 10 constructions to be learned off by heart. Must know what all the geometry theorems for Junior Cert say rote learning officially on Leaving Cert for very first time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Erm. I think you took me up wrong, LR...

Stats and probability are not a major part of any first year 3rd level course neither is Euclidian geometry check your facts .They do feature at 2nd and 3rd year but not in first year as I said wheras algebra/calculus/matrices/vectors do.I rest my case .Also most statistical problems at 3rd level involve subbing numbers into computer programs.

This paragraph is full of errors. Stats and probability account for one third of my modules in every year of my maths degree. Euclidean geometry is assumed as a prerequisite for Linear Algebra and Calculus courses.
    Lastly, most statistical problems at 3rd level do not use a computer. Computer usage accounts for about 5% of stats module grades in UCD.
    This is why present 3rd level students know nothing.

Excuse you! I entered third level education two years ago adequately prepared and ready to learn!

My own thoughts on Project Maths are uncertain. I do have definite opinions on what could have been done better. I think the addition of more Statistics was a bad move because, if the idea is to reduce rote learning and leave the more proficient students to pick the rest up in 3rd level, the statistics should be left until then, since it is taught from scratch again.
    Rather than bolstering the content of the course, why not just have more questions on existing course material, and make it more open ended, as has been done?

This paragraph is full of errors. Stats and probability account for one third of my modules in every year of my maths degree. Euclidean geometry is assumed as a prerequisite for Linear Algebra and Calculus courses.
    Lastly, most statistical problems at 3rd level do not use a computer. Computer usage accounts for about 5% of stats module grades in UCD.

Excuse you! I entered third level education two years ago adequately prepared and ready to learn!

My own thoughts on Project Maths are uncertain. I do have definite opinions on what could have been done better. I think the addition of more Statistics was a bad move because, if the idea is to reduce rote learning and leave the more proficient students to pick the rest up in 3rd level, the statistics should be left until then, since it is taught from scratch again.
    Rather than bolstering the content of the course, why not just have more questions on existing course material, and make it more open ended, as has been done?
    They may account for every year of your maths degree but for 1st Science,1st commerce etc (not haeding towards pure maths) there is no Euclidian geometry .
    Your point about bolstering up the content in HLC maths is vadid the present couse is fine . But H maths is only 8500 students there are 35,000 doing ordinary level and they now will have to answer compulsory questions on geometry and business maths which were options on the old course .The questions are so wordy that many Ord level students will have great difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Also most statistical problems at 3rd level involve subbing numbers into computer programs.

So profoundly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I think the reason Euclidean geometry is taught in schools is that it's the best way to introduce students to the concept of "proof". The subject has an ample supply of non-obvious results that can be proved using fairly straightforward constructions.

There's only so much you can do with classical Euclidean geometry, which is probably why it isn't taught directly at university level. The language just isn't powerful or general enough. However, concepts introduced in geometry such as orthogonality are invaluable later on and are subsumed into vector calculus.

I still routinely use concepts I learned in secondary school geometry - I still have to draw a triangle if I want to know what sin(pi/3) is, for example.

Advertisement