Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarsfield Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It's called progress and is necessary imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I agree it's progress and very necessary - but wait till you see the inept way that they are going to manage the traffic system while the bridge is incapacitated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

A revamped bridge along with the revamped castle (with an estimate of 100.000 visitors per year) is worth 10 millions to the city. So stop complaining.

;)

Edit: try to fit in "landmark" & "tourist attraction"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

LB6 wrote: »
    I agree it's progress and very necessary - but wait till you see the inept way that they are going to manage the traffic system while the bridge is incapacitated!

Agreed. There isnt exactly a good history of upgrade management in the city. Case in point, the disaster that was Clancy strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's no indication of closure in that, though I wouldn't rule it out given recent form on major works by City Hall, not least the tree in the river fiasco.

I think it's great that the lamp standards are being restored. That's long overdue.

• Advertisement

and the current disaster that is William Street - that everyone seems to be complaining about on another thread here!

I wouldn't rule out road closures either - as they will be maintaining one of the columns and I doubt very much that they'd want to be putting any weight on it while it's being fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

and the current disaster that is William Street - that everyone seems to be complaining about on another thread here!

I really don't understand why everyone is complaining about William St. and Sarsfield Bridge etc.

LCC are trying to upgrade the city and make it more appealing for citizens and tourists alike, this involves unappealing construction, road diversions etc.

I remember on this forum a couple of years ago when plans for all the upgrades of Thomas St. / Bedford Row / William St. / O'Connell St. / Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands were announced.....people were so excited and happy about these plans, now people are giving out because it will take them an extra few minutes to get to where they want to go.

All this work is needed and the city needs some sort of facelift because parts of it are truly depressing.

Seems some people just like to complain for the sake of it, a typical trait in Irish society today IMO.

Rant Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I really don't understand why everyone is complaining about William St. and Sarsfield Bridge etc.

LCC are trying to upgrade the city and make it more appealing for citizens and tourists alike, this involves unappealing construction, road diversions etc.

I remember on this forum a couple of years ago when plans for all the upgrades of Thomas St. / Bedford Row / William St. / O'Connell St. / Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands were announced.....people were so excited and happy about these plans, now people are giving out because it will take them an extra few minutes to get to where they want to go.

All this work is needed and the city needs some sort of facelift because parts of it are truly depressing.

Seems some people just like to complain for the sake of it, a typical trait in Irish society today IMO.

Rant Over.

Exactly, loads of progress involves some inconvenience. The Market was closed for ages but the new Market is worth it, Thomond missed out on some games but the new Thomond is worth it etc.

The work needed on William st should have been done 15 or 20 years ago, we should be glad it's finally in motion, imo.

Anyhow, tbf, both strands are nicer since they've been improved, lets hope they keep up the good work with the bridge.

I'm not giving out - but I think that when they decide to do these kind of upgrades, they should put as much effort into arranging alternative routes, as they put into fixing things. I mean - how long did Sarsfield Street take? William Street, still on-going. It seems to me that they draw everything out to the very last. If they shut down an area completely and concentrated on the job in hand, things would get down faster, with less intrusion of traffic and would mean traffic would get back to normal faster.

OK - look at the UK system - should there be an oil spill on a motorway - they'll shut down the stretch of MW between 2 junctions, and overnight will have it stripped off and re-laid for the rush hour traffic next morning.

We just don't seem to have the know-how to do things in an orderly manner.

My 2c :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not giving out - but I think that when they decide to do these kind of upgrades, they should put as much effort into arranging alternative routes, as they put into fixing things. I mean - how long did Sarsfield Street take? William Street, still on-going. It seems to me that they draw everything out to the very last. If they shut down an area completely and concentrated on the job in hand, things would get down faster, with less intrusion of traffic and would mean traffic would get back to normal faster.

OK - look at the UK system - should there be an oil spill on a motorway - they'll shut down the stretch of MW between 2 junctions, and overnight will have it stripped off and re-laid for the rush hour traffic next morning.

The shops on William St need deliveries so you cant shut down the streets, maybe thay could shut the bridge for the duration of the repairs but while that may keep you happy I'm sure they'd be others who'd say why not allow traffic flow as well. One thing is sure everyone wont be happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

. If they shut down an area completely and concentrated on the job in hand, things would get down faster, with less intrusion of traffic and would mean traffic would get back to normal faster.

Thing is there isn't that much traffic to disrupt these days. I've been driving down Henry St and up William St every day between 4:30 and 5 for the last 2 months and I haven't once seen heavy traffic. With the tunnel open and the high unemployment most of the city centre traffic is gone. This is the ideal time to be doing this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

FFS some of you people are totally on another planet. Everyone is crying the city is a kip and needs to be sorted out, when they go and do it then you whinge and f****** whine about that. Ah it takes me ten minutes extra to get to work, ah I have to cross the road because the footpath is closed. If they did nothing and the pier under the bridge collapsed you would be crying that they did nothing. Sarsfield street took longer due to the condition of the arches under the street that were showing signs of stress.

I would imagine that some of you have particularly spectacular arguments with your own shadows. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

kilburn wrote: »
    I would imagine that some of you have particularly spectacular arguments with your own shadows. :mad:

It's not MY fault he's a dick!

:D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Only thing I gathered from that thread was the amount of posters pointing out how the OP couldn't manage the corner while buses and trucks go through without difficulty.

Short-term pain for long-term gain. I can' wait to see how the bridge looks when it's done.

Out of interest, how do you use the bridge? Which way would you be driving?

I'd love to hear you give out :P

Sarsfield St took a few months. This was commmendable given that they had to dig and map for old pipes, sewers and the like and keep their structures intact. It's not a slap-up job.

No point therefore, in comparing a stretch of road less than 100m long in the middle of a city to a high-density motorway of high importance in a country which has a population many times our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

CiaranMT wrote: »

Interesting question, I seldom use it for inward journeys but would use it a fair bit for outward journeys. Never took much notice of that until now :eek:

Short-term pain for long-term gain. I can' wait to see how the bridge looks when it's done.

You and I both - it's been begging out for a bit of TLC for a long time.

Don't laugh - I very, and I mean very very, rarely use Sarsfield Bridge :D

what are you giving out about so? you dont even use it.

Well go then go and do something constructive with your time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'd love to hear you give out :P

Sarsfield St took a few months. This was commmendable given that they had to dig and map for old pipes, sewers and the like and keep their structures intact. It's not a slap-up job.

No point therefore, in comparing a stretch of road less than 100m long in the middle of a city to a high-density motorway of high importance in a country which has a population many times our own.

The Sarfield st work ran 8 or 9 weeks overschedule on the timescale that was originally put forward for the job so from that POV I would hardly call it commendable.

As for the Sarsfield bridge work, I must admit I would love to see that bridge get some work down to it, and if it is done as well as the two strands then it will look fab.

Projects always run over schedule when unforseen issues arise. Nobody can see through the road and see that the arches are under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

ninty9er wrote: »
    There's no indication of closure in that, though I wouldn't rule it out given recent form on major works by City Hall, not least the tree in the river fiasco.

I think the reason most people are peed off is that Limerick city Council (could not organise a nun shoot in convent) are crap @ traffic managment.it would be alright if they could manage traffic but they cant.

Proof of how crap they are @ managing this is the christmas tree last time i saw it it was upside down in the river in front of "claws" Bar. which is only a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Projects always run over schedule when unforseen issues arise. Nobody can see through the road and see that the arches are under pressure

Unforseen issues seem to arise a hell of a lot with city centre projects.:D

Lead times are pretty much worthless once the city council are involved in projects.

The problem with the Sarsfiled street one was that after the arch issue was noticed the city council gave a new finishing time for the works and still ran way over time.

I remember the likes of Flan Harrison giving an interview with the Limerick Leader in August about it at the time, saying how badly his business had been hit by it, and how the City Council kept giving finishing times for mid July, then late July and then early August that never came about.

Unforseen delays are one thing, but half assed lead times over and over just stink of amatuer hour. A bit like the waffle that came from within City Hall that there were lots of interested businesses lined up last summer for the still empty units on Sarsfield street.

What he said.

what are you giving out about so? you dont even use it.

1. Re-read what I said, - said rarely use it.
    2. There are two other bridges and a tunnel that I can use.

;)

Well go then go and do something constructive with your time! :D

clever clogs - if only you knew :p

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont know what your problem is with this??

I've no problem with it - just putting it out there for people so that they're aware of it.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've no problem with it - just putting it out there for people so that they're aware of it.

:)

Doesn't seem that way by your posting to be fair.

Advertisement